closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 18ct gold Asprey & Garrard Watch

18ct gold Asprey & Garrard Watch

I’ve had this watch for years. It’s quartz and 34mm. I was wondering if the case back being solid gold would mean it’s worth scrapping.
    I’m hoping one of you smart guys might know how many Gramms of gold are in the case back. It’s never been engraved.

A rough estimate if the case back is 34mm across and (estimate...) 0.5mm in depth, it would be about 0.45 cubic centimeters of gold. At 15g per cubic centimeter (for 18K gold, not "solid") that would be about 7g. My suspicion is it might turn out to be less than that. Probably easiest to weigh it.

1g of 18K gold fetches about £35 today. It will be less for jewelry that needs melting down.

Craftsman
    Could We see it please? Does the watch not work?

Is the case not gold ?
    Traders I know work on roughly a third of the complete watches weight is the gold content .
    How correct this is I don't know BUT its the way they can buy, at a stall in a antiques market without disassembly the watch from movement / crystal .

Grand Master
    Very lazy post......the gold weight could be as low as 5g, if the OP posted more info and pictures he’d get more help.

He can PM me if he wishes, possibly I may offer to buy at scrap metal value, but I won’t lose sleep if he can’t be bothered. Quartz gold watches aren’t aren’t worth a lot, case weight is crucial to assess value. Movement out, glass out, get it on an accurate scale.......how hard is that?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Very lazy post......the gold weight could be as low as 5g, if the OP posted more info and pictures he’d get more help.

He can PM me if he wishes, possibly I may offer to buy at scrap metal value, but I won’t lose sleep if he can’t be bothered. Quartz gold watches aren’t aren’t worth a lot, case weight is crucial to assess value. Movement out, glass out, get it on an accurate scale.......how hard is that?

I can see why you are described as a grumpy, drunkard, hobby watch smith full of your own self importance.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smeddles View Post
    I can see why you are described as a grumpy, drunkard, hobby watch smith full of your own self importance.
    Mate, if you provided proper info there’s a chance I (or someone else) might buy the watch from you and do you a favour!

The watch may be worth fixing and selling for someone like me, I could’ve stripped it down and given you a figure for the gold weight and scrap value, you may even have decided to have it fixed if the price to do so was less than you feared.

It’s called generating options, but without better info no-one can help you, that’s the point I was making. If you can’t be bothered to provide more info how can you expect to get helpful answers?

I fix watches, I sometimes buy fixer uppers to sell on, but I also give advice to folks on this forum via PM if they ask me. If you prefer to insult me instead that’s your choice, sort your watch out elsewhere.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Someone else gave you a rough estimate and he offered to buy it off you. Seems a bit odd to reply to that by insulting him.
    Yeah.....I thought that too. My bedside manner may be a bit too abrupt for some but what I said made sense and I would've been happy to get involved. Now that teddy's left the pram I can`t see that happening.

The Lord helps those who help themselves.....I`m not a religious man but I agree with the Lord on this point!

Quote Originally Posted by smeddles View Post
    You got all that from his reply? He's a Yorkshireman, tells it like it is with no frills attached.