closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Metalwork Advice

Metalwork Advice

I need to cut a 50mm circular hole in an aluminium project box, about 2mm thick. All I've got is a power drill, is there an attachment I could buy that would be appropriate for this task?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    I need to cut a 50mm circular hole in an aluminium project box, about 2mm thick. All I've got is a power drill, is there an attachment I could buy that would be appropriate for this task?
    this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rennie-Tool...94&sr=8-6&th=1

Best would be a bench press drill; these hole saws can be a bit wayward, tho' a 2" hole should be feasible. If you have or know of someone with a bench press drill ask them to do it.
    If by some happy chance you are in Manchester area I would be happy to do this for you.

If it’s diy use a stepped hole cutter, will go through aluminium like butter, available from all the usual places

Useful for all sorts of materials and hole sizes up to 50mm

For a nice clean cut, no burrs and reasonable precision, you could also use a hole punch, being a compression cutter it’s also very user friendly. Used mainly on panels and boxes.
    However the others above will also do the job, holesaws can be tricky in aluminium because of the tendency for the cutter and the pilot drill to wander leaving you with an jumping effect, so a bench drill and clamping the box down are a necessity to get a good cut.
    Last edited by melhick; 5th September 2023 at 13:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    For a nice clean cut, no burrs and reasonable precision, you could also use a hole punch, being a compression cutter it’s also very user friendly. Used mainly on panels and boxes.
    However the others above will also do the job, holesaws can be tricky in aluminium because of the tendency for the cutter and the pilot drill to wander leaving you with an jumping effect, so a bench drill and clamping the box down are a necessity to get a good cut.
    This, Q-Max punch but a 50mm one is going to be £25-30

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    This, Q-Max punch but a 50mm one is going to be £25-30
    Watched a video, that looks like the thing I need. I've never been very happy with the various hole cutters I've used in the past, my lack of skills doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Best would be a bench press drill; these hole saws can be a bit wayward, tho' a 2" hole should be feasible. If you have or know of someone with a bench press drill ask them to do it.
    If by some happy chance you are in Manchester area I would be happy to do this for you.
    That's a kind offer, thanks. I'm too far from Manchester though.