closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 364

Thread: Swatch x Blancpain

  1. #101
    Craftsman Lazydonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    893
    At least the line is limited to a certain geography. If it's online then it's open to the whole country / world to grab them and use technology to help them.

  2. #102
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,764
    I have owned a 50 Fathoms (which I wish I hadn't sold) I will go against the thread narrative and say I think these look great.

    I bought a Moonswatch (since sold) and these look like they took feedback on board and built something better.

    I would ditch the Nato, I don't think it works on a plastic watch. I've seen a few moonswatches on rubber straps and they look great so will buy one of these and try that myself.

    3 young people in my office have already mentioned them to me this week (1 wears a Moonswatch) and I don't think any of them would have had a clue what a Blancpain was before this so job done from a marketing point of view.

  3. #103
    Being offered on Ebay for £1250-1500 already. Think it's way overpriced as standard. You could get a nice steel seiko/microbrand for £340. Or an aliexpress addiesdive for under £100.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

  4. #104
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Being offered on Ebay for £1250-1500 already. Think it's way overpriced as standard. You could get a nice steel seiko/microbrand for £340. Or an aliexpress addiesdive for under £100.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Agreed, you're creeping into SW200 territory, especially pre-owned.

    I've got a couple of sistem51 Swatches. The movement is interesting and innovative but their timekeeping is outside of my annoyance threshold. If you were to wear them for a week you'd be multiple minutes out.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    YouTube presentation

    https://youtu.be/QtlHr8Cb4aY?si=BJWWSV_ZQrp2uKPZ

    for $400 it’s not a bad watch. Don’t be such snobs!
    Give it time, the forum will soon be full of angry threads from forum members who wanted one but have to stand in a line full of pesky kids.

  6. #106
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Being offered on Ebay for £1250-1500 already. Think it's way overpriced as standard. You could get a nice steel seiko/microbrand for £340. Or an aliexpress addiesdive for under £100.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    You can ask any price. Isn't a sold price. Don't worry about the price, we had this with MoonSwatch and now they're readily available at retail.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Give it time, the forum will soon be full of angry threads from forum members who wanted one but have to stand in a line full of pesky kids.
    Oh I'm getting one as soon as the queues go down - happy to wait.

  7. #107
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,839
    When I think I've just ordered one of Eddie's baby Speedbird's for less than one of these I feel quite satisfied.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    You can ask any price. Isn't a sold price. Don't worry about the price, we had this with MoonSwatch and now they're readily available at retail.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Oh I'm getting one as soon as the queues go down - happy to wait.
    Have they gone down for the moonswatch yet? Genuine question as I wanted to get one (not for me) but didn’t want to get trampled on by 100 pairs of trainers

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    That's a lot of money for a plastic watch with an unserviceable movement.
    Would you feel any better about it if the movement was serviceable? What would a service cost anyway - likely more than the cost of the watch.

    I think they’ve just got the messaging wrong, call it serviceable and just replace the watch. And if it makes people feel better they could say they replaced the movement, the dial, hands, crown, crystal, case and strap all for £350 ‘service’.

  10. #110
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,352
    Leaving the Blancpain logo aside they don’t look too bad. But add the logo -wtf?
    Suppose Blancpain are just following the money. Bad move imo.

  11. #111
    Craftsman Lazydonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Have they gone down for the moonswatch yet? Genuine question as I wanted to get one (not for me) but didn’t want to get trampled on by 100 pairs of trainers
    You can pretty much walk in and get a moonswatch now, maybe the moon edition aside.

  12. #112
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,900
    I have no doubt these will sell, and sell well.
    I also think they do not look so bad, and that, given the concept they have developed, they have designed a pretty good set of products.

    But...

    The concept remains wrong to me.

    In an age where the fashion industry has finally started to turn around from faster fashion and is now encouraging people to buy fewer items and buy better (so that it lasts longer), this goes totally against the ethos of what right-thinking watch ownership should be about.

    Let us not forget that ETA (part of Swatch) specifically removed the 2824 from general sale because they wanted to concentrate their efforts on fewer, higher value watches. Where is that type of thinking in this?

    I am certainly not buying one of these, I can get hundreds of much better made and specified watches for less than this. With better materials, better WR, better movement, better lume. A watch that can be maintained etc etc etc.

    So this has Blancpain printed on it? So what? It means nothing. This is a Swatch, no more. Total waste of money.

  13. #113
    I like a couple of them and pleased the chose oceans and not the Seas, otherwise we might have had a sewage brown North Sea edition.

  14. #114
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Would you feel any better about it if the movement was serviceable?
    I probably would.

  15. #115
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    You can pretty much walk in and get a moonswatch now, maybe the moon edition aside.
    Well... except that you'll have to wait in a massive queue of people waiting to get a Swatch Frankenpain ;)

  16. #116
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    6,483
    I'll just throw this in the hat...

  17. #117
    Craftsman Lazydonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    893
    lol GPWM

  18. #118
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I like a couple of them and pleased the chose oceans and not the Seas, otherwise we might have had a sewage brown North Sea edition.
    They could put this on the box.

  19. #119
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    8,585
    Nope! Unless you already have a pair of Timmy Mallett glasses you want to complement…………….

  20. #120
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I'll just throw this in the hat...
    EUR 214,00 for this one.

  21. #121
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    60
    Loved the Moonswatch, but I'm not sold on this. Would like to see one in person, but I think the price is just too much for a "fun" watch (for me).

  22. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    According to Ulrich Bez, AM made the Cygnet because they needed to have a more affordable car, it had to be able to be driven where the owners live - city centres in many cases, where a V12 supercar is a real PITA to drive - and it would also be a way to lower the overall emissions of the fleet.

    Clearly it was a total failure - under 300 were built.
    Funny thing is that the Cygnets held their value incredibly well, while 4-door AMs from that time can be had for 30k.

  23. #123
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    1,423

    Thumbs up It's a "No" from me

    I don't believe I could be less excited about this Swatch if I tried.

    It may increase public awareness of Blancpain but I don't see the general appeal of the association.

  24. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    As with the Swatch Speedmaster (but more so), the fact that these are being made and successfully sold is symptomatic of a ludicrous belief in brand value (on behalf of buyer and seller).
    They are an exercise in using that value to sell what is self-evidently cheap tat, despite the core brand value being all about quality without compromise.

    I think it is pointless to own one, because the dial print saying it's an Omega or a Blancpain is simply a lie. There is nothing of that name in the watch, other than that printed logo.

    For me, it is almost more honest go buy and a fake (that at least pretends to be as good as the original) than it is to buy one of these cracker toys, just because the company that printed the lie on the dial has a legal right to do so.

    It devalues the core brand, and it fleeces gullible customers into thinking that they are buying into the better brand, when they're actually only buying an expensive Swatch.

    Lose lose.

    I shan't be buying, perhaps you can tell.
    Isn't it the same "brand values" that makes us buy massively overpriced "luxury" Stainless Steel watches with huge margins and marketing support?

    I don't see that it's any worse than Omega or Blancpain selling a bit of leather attached to a stainless steel buckle for hundreds of pounds.

    I love that the Swatch group are releasing watches like these. It's a big middle finger to Brand Hierarchies and the watches themselves look great.

    They're a bit of fun and no-one would mistake them for the real thing, and they will raise awareness of the more expensive watches they're based on. My interest in Speedmasters has been raised after owning a Moonswatch.

    And the best thing about these is that they will wind up the brand snobs no end.

  25. #125
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    12,219
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    It’s disposable. The iWatch wearing generation are used to this, but I’m not cool with it.

    D


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    any coincidence it’s for sale same day as the next Apple event ?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

  26. #126
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    23,605
    Marketing, shmarketing.

  27. #127
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,161
    Now Swatch Group has shown they can do a chronograph with the Moonswatch and the Blancpain x Swatch that'll go to Fifty Fathoms, surely a Breguet x Swatch Marine Chronograph has to be next? The Breguet brand certainly needs a reboot.

  28. #128
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,368
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    any coincidence it’s for sale same day as the next Apple event ?
    Apple event is the 12th.

  29. #129
    Like others, I like the white and the blue. Not sure I like them at the price and I can’t see them being cheaper in the used market. They’re also quite big, not sure if anyone’s commented on that already.

  30. #130
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    5,350
    Blog Entries
    1
    They will sell like hot cakes and there will be an almighty scrum at the stores, then the scalpers will have a field day.

    If people wish to get involved in all that good luck to them. They look a bit of fun but incredibly overpriced. Poor value proposition.

  31. #131
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    EUR 214,00 for this one.
    That is excellent value, I had this here on sc for £220, about the same price as a blancswatch new full rrp. Citizen build quality is superb.

  32. #132
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    14,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    That is excellent value, I had this here on sc for £220, about the same price as a blancswatch new full rrp. Citizen build quality is superb.
    Irrelevant though. .

    We all know you can better watches for the price.

    M

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  33. #133
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Irrelevant though. .

    We all know you can better watches for the price.

    M

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Very true, and that doesn't just go for blancswatches.

  34. #134
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Some supposedly leaked images being circulated on Reddit and Twitter. No idea if they’re genuine. A price of around £330 being rumoured.



    Is it wrong I like this one... Now official on the Swatch site, looks like again no online sales, also not limited numbers!

  35. #135
    Plenty of strange and snobbish comments on here. There are cheaper and probably better options available but that’s the case with all watches. There are plenty of makers out there that put a generic movement in a case and sell for ten times the amount that these cost. Yes, they are serviceable, but that service costs costs twice the price of this watch. The mark-up on these is probably much less than that on many of the most popular watches and of course it’s going to be priced at higher amount than the standard Swatch when it has Blancpain on the dial. Naming is everything, that’s what turns a £500 watch into an £8000 Rolex/Omega/Breitling. Personally I think they look good and if they can attract more people into watches that can only be a good thing, not just for Swatch brands but for the whole industry.

  36. #136
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,900
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Isn't it the same "brand values" that makes us buy massively overpriced "luxury" Stainless Steel watches with huge margins and marketing support?

    I don't see that it's any worse than Omega or Blancpain selling a bit of leather attached to a stainless steel buckle for hundreds of pounds.

    I love that the Swatch group are releasing watches like these. It's a big middle finger to Brand Hierarchies and the watches themselves look great.

    They're a bit of fun and no-one would mistake them for the real thing, and they will raise awareness of the more expensive watches they're based on. My interest in Speedmasters has been raised after owning a Moonswatch.

    And the best thing about these is that they will wind up the brand snobs no end.
    I certainly agree a lot of branded stuff is too expensive, but what they have always done is try to persuade you that you are paying for quality, and justifying the cost that way.
    With releases like this they are openly scamming people by doubling the price for a little bit of printing that suggests a link to a watch that it shares not one piece of.
    It is sticking a middle finger up to its own brand.
    I would gladly buy a better-built hommage for less money than I would ever hand over for one of these throwaway fakes.

  37. #137
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    18,692
    Blog Entries
    2
    I love them and will definitely get the white when the stromash has died down.
    Cant see the point in wittering about "brand value" - they're good fun and if they pitch to a new market that would aspire to the real deal in future - GOOD.
    Also cant see the point in offering up similarly priced steel seikos and citizens. Thats great but the Swatch demographic isnt interested in them, and in fairness neither am i.

  38. #138
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,767
    Blog Entries
    1
    So t mind the blue or the white. But a bit meh

  39. #139
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,203
    Quite like them. When they are readily available I’ll likely buy one. Like others the blue or white are the ones I like the most. Much nicer looking and seemingly better made than the omega ones.

  40. #140
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,900
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I love them and will definitely get the white when the stromash has died down.
    Cant see the point in wittering about "brand value" - they're good fun and if they pitch to a new market that would aspire to the real deal in future - GOOD.
    Also cant see the point in offering up similarly priced steel seikos and citizens. Thats great but the Swatch demographic isnt interested in them, and in fairness neither am i.
    But you make my point for me.
    You are willing to buy one because of brand value. And nothing else.
    If it were a Seiko or Citizen you would not be interested. In the slightest.
    There is an argument that if it were just a Swatch, no-one would care.
    But because it has the vague association with BP, limited to some print and the share structure of the company, you're willing to go for it.
    I may be wittering about brand value, but you willing to waste money on it as well.
    That makes no sense to me at all.

  41. #141
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,710
    This is running on the coat-tails of the MoonSwatch. If it was released before the MoonSwatch... no one would give a monkey's.
    I work on a razor blade between gimmickry and amazement. – Richard Mille

  42. #142
    Looking forward to the plastic Breguet Classique coming out.

  43. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    But you make my point for me.
    You are willing to buy one because of brand value. And nothing else.
    If it were a Seiko or Citizen you would not be interested. In the slightest.
    There is an argument that if it were just a Swatch, no-one would care.
    But because it has the vague association with BP, limited to some print and the share structure of the company, you're willing to go for it.
    I may be wittering about brand value, but you willing to waste money on it as well.
    That makes no sense to me at all.
    Perhaps it’s just a different demographic now. The whole Patek “you never own one” is just old man’s thinking and Swatch have thought if you want to progress then you need to move with the times.

    Who knows if in 50 years time some plastic BP owner having then moved onto the real thing will fondly look at his/her watch as something to pass down in generations or if he/she by then really couldn’t care less.

    Most of us will be pushing up daisies by then so who really cares?

  44. #144
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    18,692
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    But you make my point for me.
    You are willing to buy one because of brand value. And nothing else.
    If it were a Seiko or Citizen you would not be interested. In the slightest.
    There is an argument that if it were just a Swatch, no-one would care.
    But because it has the vague association with BP, limited to some print and the share structure of the company, you're willing to go for it.
    I may be wittering about brand value, but you willing to waste money on it as well.
    That makes no sense to me at all.
    Ummm.. no, actually I'm not anywhere near making your point for you because you have completely misinterpreted my motivation for owning one.

  45. #145
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    19,482
    I’d buy one, got a mention in April that this was proposed, a few laughed, but here we are and a mechanical movement. Cool
    RIAC

  46. #146
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    19,482
    Arctic or Antarctic for me are cool as cool

    - - - Updated - - -

    Arctic or Antarctic for me are cool as cool
    RIAC

  47. #147
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I’d buy one, got a mention in April that this was proposed, a few laughed, but here we are and a mechanical movement. Cool
    Agree, I am liking it/them, so will put a WTD out now haha

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Arctic or Antarctic for me are cool as cool

    - - - Updated - - -

    Arctic or Antarctic for me are cool as cool
    Latter for me for sure!

  48. #148
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    1,159
    Swatch have done it, we have a thread discussing their latest creation and so the buzz/hype etc is already going, look elsewhere the talk is the same.

    Think their marketing has done it, many other brands do the same with hyping limiting how to purchase and let people create the hype etc

  49. #149
    I have seen lots of young people wearing a Moonswatch so I think its a great move from Swatch. Get them interested in the brand at a young age and eventually they may progress to the real deal.

    Also think that new Blancpain x Swatch looks like a fun watch for £340, I do not see why there is so many against them.

    It's very clever marketing from the Swatch group.

  50. #150
    So, should we call them Iffy Fathoms? Or Filthy Fathoms? Or (as someone on another forum suggested) the Thrift Fathoms?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information