closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car roof box vs roof bag

Car roof box vs roof bag

We recently got a lab, who is growing bigger by the day! We are planning on future trips and wont have any space with him in the boot, up until now he has a harness and a seatbelt and sits in the back between the girls but he is getting a little large for this now.

We have a CX-30 (really impressive car!), and looking at either some roof racks and roof box or a roof bag, the bags just seem to attached to the door frames and different points. The reviews for the bags all seem good and they are notably cheaper but are they actually any good.

Anyone tried a roof bag?

or is it better to just get some rails and a box.

Maybe just one bad experience for us but we've had and borrowed roof boxes without any problems.

One year we went with a roof bag (as the LR Disco we had didn't have roof bars and I thought we'd save a few quid). We used it for a three week holiday which involved Cheshire to two stops on French campsites then calling in at relatives in the Netherlands on the way back so a few miles and a few packing/unpacking. It did its job but there was quite a bit of wear to straps, zips etc. We changed the car anyway but I wouldn't have taken that roof bag on another similar trip - it didn't look like it would survive the same again.

Having recently bought roof bars and a box for the Mazda 3, I can recommend that route.

We got loads more than I was expecting in our 330L box, and it felt safe and secure on the 3 hour drive. Plus, it literally pi55ed down all day, but the contents stayed bone dry.

I really didn't like the look of the bags from a protection point of view, or the lack of aerodynamics. They just look too flimsy to carry anything meaningful, and I wasn't sure about their water resistance despite the claims.

If budget isn't a problem then I'd go for a proper box. The Mazda/Thule bars were £200 and the the Hapro Roady 3300 box was another £200.

On a CX30 you could fit quite a substantial size box.

I’ve never used the bags, but last year I purchased bars and a box from Halfords. I can’t remember the exact details but by paying for a year of their Halfords Motoring Club and taking advantage of an existing deal, I saved a lot of money. May be worthwhile looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd question how waterproof roof bags are after a few years of use. Roof boxes on the other hand are great for UK holidays.

Different pros and cons with both and It all depends on what your needs are. Ours were about fitting in all our camping stuff!

We started with a Thule bag but swiftly moved to a roof box. It could fit more in and was much more robust. Of course, the box needs bars and is much more expensive and you need more storage space than for a bag.

Craftsman
    I looked at getting a bag recently but didn't pull the trigger quite yet. From what I read, if you are not using any roof bars to tie to, and rely only the straps through the doors only, then rain water can soak in and and come inside the car. They do look ok though otherwise. Interested to hear some more too.

The lab will definitely be more comfortable in a large roof box. Don’t forget to drill a few holes.

Numerous trips down to Spain (when it was easier) with a box on a V70 and a Mercedes A class, zero issues at all.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    We’ve just spent three weeks in the Netherlands and Germany with multiple stops. Had a Fischer bag on the roof (on bars) and a cheap Amazon bag on the bed. The Fischer bag has been used many times and still looks like new, and the Amazon bag was being used for the first time. Both got a few good drenchings and were fine but we always put bedding, clothes etc in Lomo dry bags to be safe. The Amazon bag had some heavy gear in it - fridge, furniture etc - although it’s obviously going to be easier on a truck bed rather than a car roof.

Solid roof boxes would possibly be better but storage is a pain for an item used a few times per year, plus I’d never get one with a volume to match the Amazon one. The bags don’t look as neat but that’s not a concern for me.

Last edited by benny.c; 1st September 2023 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The lab will definitely be more comfortable in a large roof box. Don’t forget to drill a few holes.
    I had suggested this for our 11-year-old to but we didn't go through with it due to some legal technicalities.

If it wasn't for those pesky pen pushers with their new-fangled ideas about health and safety. Back in the 70s no one would have batted an eye lid.

Worth a watch:

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    We’ve just spent three weeks in the Netherlands and Germany with multiple stops. Had a Fischer bag on the roof (on bars) and a cheap Amazon bag on the bed. The Fischer bag has been used many times and still looks like new, and the Amazon bag was being used for the first time. Both got a few good drenchings and were fine but we always put bedding, clothes etc in Lomo dry bags to be safe. The Amazon bag had some heavy gear in it - fridge, furniture etc - although it’s obviously going to be easier on a truck bed rather than a car roof.

Solid roof boxes would possibly be better but storage is a pain for an item used a few times per year, plus I’d never get one with a volume to match the Amazon one. The bags don’t look as neat but that’s not a concern for me.

Nice rig!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have used roof boxes with bars many times with no problems. I tried a Thule roof bog with roof bars for one holiday and found it a pain to use compared to the roof box, I sold it straight after the holiday. The only slight advantage is the roof bags are easier to store but this is not an issue for me. Roof bars and boxes can be picked up at reasonable prices on Ebay or Marketplace.

How secure are roof bags compared to boxes?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    In my experience they are absolutely fine at normal motorway speeds - secure as you need them to be.

If you mean secure against theft then obviously it’s just a bag. I put a little lock on the zips when we’re on the ferry to deter casual theft but it’s pretty pointless TBH. That said a solid roof box isn’t much better. I wouldn’t leave all my gear in either for any amount of time unattended. We had an old Thule roof box which we’d lost the keys for and it look no time at all to bypass the lock.

If you’re camping with a roof box then security is potentially an issue if you don’t want to leave it on the car. My truck wouldn’t fit in a multi storey car park with a box on so what do you do with box when it’s removed? Leaving in the tent usually isn’t an option due to the size whereas as bags rolls up small. This is quite specific I know and not an issue for many.

Craftsman
    I can’t comment on the bag option as I’ve never tried one. But we got a Thule box last year and have used it a few times for camping. It’s very nicely made and a pleasure to use. It also hold a vast amount of stuff :). It does take more storage space, but I think it was worth every penny and will do us well for years to come.