closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Refinishing cars in London?

Refinishing cars in London?

I want to have some minor scratches refinished where someone has scraped along the side and was quoted £500!

Can anyone recommend anyone to refinish scratches in London? Would prefer if they do it on the spot but if it is going to be extortionate, happy to travel (I'm in north London). Thanks.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    When you say refinished, do you mean polished out rather than repainted? If so you'll need to be aware that if you can feel the scratch with your nail it can't be removed by polishing - although depending on the scratch they can often be made to look better I'd suggest you search for car detailers in your area and take the car for them to look at to see what they think

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    When you say refinished, do you mean polished out rather than repainted? If so you'll need to be aware that if you can feel the scratch with your nail it can't be removed by polishing - although depending on the scratch they can often be made to look better I'd suggest you search for car detailers in your area and take the car for them to look at to see what they think

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    I'm no expert but would guess needs to be repainted.

OK so any recommendations for car detailers in north London? Thanks.

If you're not expert how can you judge if £500 is extortionate? It really depends on the damage , and how many panels are involved.

A body shop will always be better than a smart repair. I've used smart repair for a small bumper scrape. Wouldn't use them for any large panel work.

I've used https://www.hptradings.com for paint work, highly recommended. In Cuffley.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    If you're not expert how can you judge if £500 is extortionate? It really depends on the damage , and how many panels are involved.

A body shop will always be better than a smart repair. I've used smart repair for a small bumper scrape. Wouldn't use them for any large panel work.
    Just from having previous similar scratches repaired which was less than £100 but that was some time ago.

OK thanks.

As stated above,if by you can feel it with your finger nail, it’s gone through the paint, and can’t be buffed out.
    Generally it’s the panel that needs painting, roughly £300 + per panel. Trouble then is adjoining panels may need be lending in as it can stand out in isolation….

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    As stated above,if by you can feel it with your finger nail, it’s gone through the paint, and can’t be buffed out.
    Generally it’s the panel that needs painting, roughly £300 + per panel. Trouble then is adjoining panels may need be lending in as it can stand out in isolation….
    Thanks. What a pain.

Master
    These chaps were recommended to me and they fixed a significant issue with my friend’s car when a concrete post in a car park jumped out of nowhere and scraped her car.

More accident repair and body work but depending on how bad the damage is and if it includes plastic bumpers, etc.

They do work for main dealers and insurance company approved, etc. I was surprised how inexpensive the repair on my friend’s car was and the workmanship was very good.

They are in southall.

Gavin W.Peters
    Business Manager

https://www.mscrepair.co.uk

gavin@mscrepair.co.uk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used Chipsaway a couple of times for a small dent in my wife's Z4 and a scrape on my Honda Civic (I'm always obliged to have the sensible car!)

The results were excellent - no visible trace of the damage in either case. IIRC the chap who came to me in Stevenage used a device to gauge the actual colour of the car, allowing for fading etc rather than just go on the paint code. He said he had worked in a body repair shop for 20 years before taking on the franchise, so maybe I was lucky with who I got.

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/minor-dents/

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    These chaps were recommended to me and they fixed a significant issue with my friend’s car when a concrete post in a car park jumped out of nowhere and scraped her car.

More accident repair and body work but depending on how bad the damage is and if it includes plastic bumpers, etc.

They do work for main dealers and insurance company approved, etc. I was surprised how inexpensive the repair on my friend’s car was and the workmanship was very good.

They are in southall.

Gavin W.Peters
    Business Manager

https://www.mscrepair.co.uk

gavin@mscrepair.co.uk
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I used Chipsaway a couple of times for a small dent in my wife's Z4 and a scrape on my Honda Civic (I'm always obliged to have the sensible car!)

The results were excellent - no visible trace of the damage in either case. IIRC the chap who came to me in Stevenage used a device to gauge the actual colour of the car, allowing for fading etc rather than just go on the paint code. He said he had worked in a body repair shop for 20 years before taking on the franchise, so maybe I was lucky with who I got.

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/minor-dents/
    Thanks!

There are smart repair companies out there that will undertake a respray in situ under a gazebo but the finish won’t be as good as a body shop job. Spraying outdoors will open your paint to all sorts of contaminants.

A body shop would be more expensive but should produce better results.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    There are smart repair companies out there that will undertake a respray in situ under a gazebo but the finish won’t be as good as a body shop job. Spraying outdoors will open your paint to all sorts of contaminants.

A body shop would be more expensive but should produce better results.
    This 100%, if it’s a big mark and you care about your cars, get it done properly.

Friend removed a badge from his car at the weekend to clean up the look. There was a smart repair done poorly prior, and without the badge being removed.

Him removing the badge showed the extent of overspray and paint depth. £350 to resolve, so at £500 for panels I’m astonished tbh.

Proper repairs are never cheap. A scuff from a van brushing my bumper at a roundabout was £1300 to resolve based on the filling & blending required.

I have 2 places I use in berks based on the size of / the technicality of the job required. Used them for almost 15yrs. Not ideal for your location, but if you don’t need a car quickly, they could be a good choice.