closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Howe has to go. How the heck have Newcastle not even got 3rd with the results going their way? That's shameful I'm sorry.

Shameful? In the hardest group in the competition. In our first European season in over 20 years? We didn’t get a piss easy group like Arsenal, Man City or Man Utd.

Howe is as safe as houses for now: Well done on the attempted wind-up though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Howe has to go. How the heck have Newcastle not even got 3rd with the results going their way? That's shameful I'm sorry.

Well at least UEFA got what they wanted and PSG went through. Corrupt as fuck.

Onwards and upwards with this incredible squad. Less than two seasons into our journey and we’ll be ok. So proud of this group.

Have a word with yourself

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Shameful? In the hardest group in the competition. In our first European season in over 20 years? We didn’t get a piss easy group like Arsenal, Man City or Man Utd.

Sorry that's BS. Tough group but Newcastle are a team that finished 4th in the PL, the top league, playing against an appalling Milan side, a weakened Dortmund and an out of sorts PSG. And then the results going their way and they still somehow contrive to lose to this shoddy Milan side by being tactically inept and being unfit.

Them and Man Utd's abject performances will really impact on England's UEFA coefficient which means 5th place in the PL may not get a CL spot. We are suffering because of Liverpool's 5th place finish last year as theyd have racked up a load of points this season, and United being pony.

Hopefully the remaining English teams go far because as it stands we are behind Spain and Germany in the UEFA coefficients.

So last 16 23/24 Champions League

4 Spanish
    3 German
    3 Italian
    2 England
    1 Portugal
    1 Danish
    1 Dutch
    1 French

Best league in the world innit mate.....

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master

Onwards and upwards with this incredible squad. Less than two seasons into our journey and we’ll be ok. So proud of this group.
    I’d settle down a bit with the praise , they finished bottom of a group where the expectation should have been a worst case scenario of 3rd.

what was the corruption?

You make it so easy for everyone to hate Arsenal. Can’t wait for the bottlers to go out. F*** the Gooners.

We’re at least five years ahead of schedule.

Sorry that's BS. Tough group but Newcastle are a team that finished 4th in the PL, the top league, playing against an appalling Milan side, a weakened Dortmund and an out of sorts PSG. And then the results going their way and they still somehow contrive to lose to this shoddy Milan side by being tactically inept and being unfit.

Them and Man Utd's abject performances will really impact on England's UEFA coefficient which means 5th place in the PL may not get a CL spot. We are suffering because of Liverpool's 5th place finish last year as theyd have racked up a load of points this season, and United being pony.

Hopefully the remaining English teams go far because as it stands we are behind Spain and Germany in the UEFA coefficients.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 14th December 2023 at 00:27.

Luckily for us all, Arsenal have been trailblazing in the Champions League for over five minutes now .

OK so we’re out of the UCL. Personally I’m not that bothered. We’re five years or more ahead of anyone’s wildest dreams. We’ve been a laughing stock for more than 15 years. We’ve spent nowt compared to the the big boys.

The owners will continue to build the club and its revenue and we’ll build from
    here. It’s all good, it really is.

Similar list of potential opponents for the two PL teams left in it.
    Lazio
    Inter
    Napoli
    PSG
    FC Copenhagen
    FC Porto

Arse can get Leipzig
    City can get Eindhoven

I’d be tempted by Porto or Copenhagen . None of the others would be on my go to list.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Similar list of potential opponents for the two PL teams left in it.
    Lazio
    Inter
    Napoli
    PSG
    FC Copenhagen
    FC Porto

Arse can get Leipzig
    City can get Eindhoven

I’d be tempted by Porto or Copenhagen . None of the others would be on my go to list.
    I'd want Arsenal to avoid Inter from that list, else not too fussed. Maybe PSG on a good night could cause some problems but still probably not enough over 2 legs.

OK so we’re out of the UCL. Personally I’m not that bothered.
    I’d hate to see how you react when you’re bothered…
    Just go easy on the kool-aid, ok?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Honestly I’m not bothered. I reacted to being criticised when we didn’t deserve that considering the whole picture. Our season is hard enough with the injuries we have. Our time will come. In terms of investment were decades being the Manchester clubs and Chelsea so we’ve got time on our side.

I hope City go on and win it and Arsenal go
    out next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Easy on him, he's approaching his 10th birthday soon......🙄

Master
    Best remove the expletive further down TTC

Thanks matey - had a few drinks. Amended.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Best remove the expletive further down TTC

Did someone say clickbait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Behave. Milan are an average team at best, dortmund are currently 5th in the bundesliga. It looked hard because of the names, in reality Newcastle should have got through.

Howes basic approach to tactics let them down. You can’t rely on being purely a physically aggressive team in Europe, the refs won’t allow it. Howe showed a lack of nous, which will eventually cost him his job.

The Saudis won’t tolerate failure long term. I imagine he’ll walk at some point, I wouldn’t want to upset the ownership………

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Behave. Milan are an average team at best, dortmund are currently 5th in the bundesliga. It looked hard because of the names, in reality Newcastle should have got through, except they're $h1te.

Howes basic approach to tactics let them down. You can’t rely on being purely a physically aggressive team in Europe, the refs won’t allow it. Howe showed a lack of nous, which will eventually cost him his job.

The Saudis won’t tolerate failure long term. I imagine he’ll walk at some point, I wouldn’t want to upset the ownership………
    FTFY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Behave. Milan are an average team at best, dortmund are currently 5th in the bundesliga. It looked hard because of the names, in reality Newcastle should have got through.

id echo most of this, Newcastle have underachieved by finishing bottom of that group.

everyone knows howe is a stepping stone, will need a slice of luck to be in charge this time next year.

Master
    I disagree.

It’s Newcastles first champions league attempt and although finished bottom they acquitted themselves well in the games.

It’s also the majority of the players and the managers first attempt in the champions league.

This year is essentially a view of how top teams operate and the issues faced of playing top opposition midweek then back to the prem a few days later.

Although they are out they played well and will fair better next time.

As for Howe I think he’s gone at the end of the season as I’ve already stated. He’s overachieved and basically made a rod for his own back now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I disagree.

It’s Newcastles first champions league attempt and although finished bottom they acquitted themselves well in the games.

It’s also the majority of the players and the managers first attempt in the champions league.

This year is essentially a view of how top teams operate and the issues faced of playing top opposition midweek then back to the prem a few days later.

As for Howe I think he’s gone at the end of the season as I’ve already stated. He’s overachieved and basically made a rod for his own back now.

This for me.

I really like Eddie Howe and think his tactical knowledge will only improve with experience, I do however agree that he will not be afforded that luxury and rumours of the Saudi's being admirers of a certain Jose don't bode well for Eddie.

I agree too, it’s all about taking a look at the top table to see what it’s all about and what you need to progress. There’s never been a rumour here about Jose though. I’ve never seen it in any media outlet either.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    This for me.

I really like Eddie Howe and think his tactical knowledge will only improve with experience, I do however agree that he will not be afforded that luxury and rumours of the Saudi's being admirers of a certain Jose don't bode well for Eddie.

Master
    I agree too, it’s all about taking a look at the top table to see what it’s all about and what you need to progress. There’s never been a rumour here about Jose though. I’ve never seen it in any media outlet either.
    I started doubting myself for a minute but I did read it somewhere and it was not a figment of my imagination.

https://www.givemesport.com/jose-mou...ws-eddie-howe/

I am not suggesting the rumour is true of course, most rumours are wide off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I disagree.

I don’t think it’s likely they’ll be there next season. The top 3 looks relatively set, then Villa look strong, and spurs will (unfortunately) come good once Maddison etc come back. Especially if the chicken man has discovered how to score.

Thanks, I'd never seen that. On the basis that it's a givemesport (never heard of them) article and it doesn't use a single quote or reference a single source I think I'll choose to ignore it. You could literally re-publish that article using other clubs and managers names and put my name on it as the author and it would hold the same relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    I started doubting myself for a minute but I did read it somewhere and it was not a figment of my imagination.

https://www.givemesport.com/jose-mou...ws-eddie-howe/

I am not suggesting the rumour is true of course, most rumours are wide off the mark.

Thanks, I'd never seen that. On the basis that it's a givemesport (never heard of them) article and it doesn't use a single quote or reference a single source I think I'll choose to ignore it. You could literally re-publish that article using other clubs and managers names and put my name on it as the author and it would hold the same relevance.
    I strongly doubt there is any substance to this Jose story and whilst he has a great big trophy cabinet, he feels like a manager who is well past his sell by date.

Whatever you think about the Newcastle ownership they've made a number of quite astute signings both off and on the pitch and swapping EH for JM would be a very curious and likely very poorly received decision.

It would be very poorly received up here. He's a divisive and toxic personality.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I strongly doubt there is any substance to this Jose story and whilst he has a great big trophy cabinet, he feels like a manager who is well past his sell by date.

Whatever you think about the Newcastle ownership they've made a number of quite astute signings both off and on the pitch and swapping EH for JM would be a very curious and likely very poorly received decision.

I think Eddie is doing well, its not like they did a Chelsea or City and spend billions. Their team on paper is pretty poor, the top 4 is pretty hard to achieve each season, especially now with 7-8 teams all having a chance.

The thing about plans is if you overachieve and hit a key milestone early then that gives you the chance to re-evaluate the plan, maybe make a new plan and use the overachievement to invest in the new goal.

Sorry, I know Newcastle have had injuries but coming 4th in their group is an absolute disgrace, the fans should not be 'proud' of that and the owners will, I assure you, already be planning Eddie's replacement.

If they stay on the current path when are they realistically getting back into the CL? They won't be able to invest in players without a revenue stream to enable them to do that without falling foul of FFP.

Good night for the Brits tonight. Brighton, West Ham, Rangers all doing the business, Villa drew and Liverpool B lost narrowly.

Thursdays > Tuesdays/Wednesdays

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master

I don't think Newcastle can talk about corruption...Especially after that goal against Arsenal. The officials were all in Saudi Arabia a week before as well. That was madness.

Master
    Honestly I’m not bothered. I reacted to being criticised when we didn’t deserve that considering the whole picture. Our season is hard enough with the injuries we have. Our time will come. In terms of investment were decades being the Manchester clubs and Chelsea so we’ve got time on our side.

I hope City go on and win it and Arsenal go
    out next round.
    Every team has massive injuries, this is not a Newcastle issue. Arsenal have Partey and Tomiyasu injured and Jesus injured for the majority of the 1st half of the season so yes just deal with it mate.

I accept everyone has injuries but you're talking about a couple of players at Arsenal. I'm talking about 12 players at Newcastle. We've started the same team for six straight games and haven't been able to make substitutions because our bench has a combination of kids, goalkeepers and pensioners.

This team of absentees could start EPL games. So when you've got this many out it doesn't just affect your starting team but your ability to save legs and manage games by making changes.

Pope

Targett Botman Burn Murphy

Willock Anderson Longstaff Barnes

Tonali (not injured)

Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Every team has massive injuries, this is not a Newcastle issue. Arsenal have Partey and Tomiyasu injured and Jesus injured for the majority of the 1st half of the season so yes just deal with it mate.

I accept everyone has injuries but you're talking about a couple of players at Arsenal. I'm talking about 12 players at Newcastle. We've started the same team for six straight games and haven't been able to make substitutions because our bench has a combination of kids, goalkeepers and pensioners.

This team of absentees could start EPL games. So when you've got this many out it doesn't just affect your starting team but your ability to save legs and manage games by making changes.

Pope

Targett Botman Burn Murphy

Willock Anderson Longstaff Barnes

Tonali (not injured)

Wilson
    I always believed that while individual accidents/reckless tackles happen and can damage a player or two, a full infirmary house was at least in part the responsibility of the manager, inadequate training, playing them when they shouldn't have, etc.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I think there's something in that too. We've definitely brought a couple of players back from injury too soon this season. Our tactics of high energy and high press also don't help with muscle fatigue and injury.

I always believed that while individual accidents/reckless tackles happen and can damage a player or two, a full infirmary house was at least in part the responsibility of the manager, inadequate training, playing them when they shouldn't have, etc.

Good win for West Ham last night.

Topping their group puts them into the last 16 of the Europa.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    A rare good week for Scottish teams in Europe this week.

Great result for Rangers(said through gritted teeth lol) beating Real Betis (who were unbeaten at home this season) away and qualifying for Europa last 16 as group winners.

Aberdeen beating Frankfurt 2-0 (Frankfurt beat Bayern 5-1 at the weekend) and Celtic eventually winning a champions league game against Feyenoord.

Some more information on the UEFA co-efficient situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67722356

On the flip side the English teams that did qualify did so in 1st place in their groups so should in theory progress further which would boost the points we need to get a 5th CL spot.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    A rare good week for Scottish teams in Europe this week.

Great result for Rangers(said through gritted teeth lol) beating Real Betis (who were unbeaten at home this season) away and qualifying for Europa last 16 as group winners.

Aberdeen beating Frankfurt 2-0 (Frankfurt beat Bayern 5-1 at the weekend) and Celtic eventually winning a champions league game against Feyenoord.
    I’ve just caught up on this thread. I wish any of our alleged tops teams in Scotland were half as good as Newcastle who’ve been caught in a maelstrom here.

Scottish football at this level is really bad sadly. We have no understanding of how to play the European teams and refs.

Playing out from the back and high pressing EU style or England style is not our forte. God only knows what is these days.

It’ll be the same next season, the season after and the seasons after that etc etc etc

Jim

Round of 16 draw

FC Porto vs Arsenal
    Napoli vs Barcelona
    Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad
    Inter vs Atletico Madrid
    PSV Eindhoven vs Borussia Dortmund
    Lazio vs Bayern Munich
    FC Copenhagen vs Manchester City
    RB Leipzig vs Real Madrid

City get the easiest game.

FC Porto vs Arsenal
    Napoli vs Barcelona
    Inter vs Atletico Madrid
    Lazio vs Bayern Munich

FC Porto - I'll take that all day long as we could have got Inter.

Odds on both Inter vs Athletico Madrid games ending 0-0?

FC Porto vs Arsenal
    Napoli vs Barcelona
    Inter vs Atletico Madrid
    Lazio vs Bayern Munich

Again !!
    Maybe the Sheikh handed out a few brown envelopes .

Great draw for both the Arse and Citeh!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Again !!
    Maybe the Sheikh handed out a few brown envelopes .
    Yep, great draw there for 115. Although the form they have been in, they may in fact struggle against the mighty Copenhagen.

Watching the Saudi Community Shield thing City are playing in against what appears to be a Japanese version of Manchester United, what has happened to Kyle Walker? He looks a shadow of his former self

Watching the Saudi Community Shield thing City are playing in against what appears to be a Japanese version of Manchester United, what has happened to Kyle Walker? He looks a shadow of his former self
    Captaincy weighs heavy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wellsy View Post
    Captaincy weighs heavy I think.
    Not sure what people were watching. Kyle does his job and has been brilliant for us. As well as being a brilliant defender, how good was that through ball for our second goal. It was like something that KDB does…..