closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Because we couldn’t make any subs Ryan. We had nowt left after 70 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Not a pen but Newcastle were giving the ball away constantly in the 2nd half and you can't say PSG didn't deserve it as they missed a hatful of chances.

Newcastle got the rub of the green against Arsenal so these things even out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Agreed. Newcastle have been robbed by a terrible ref decision.

Jim
    That’s a criminal decision. Scandalous and would love to hear the officials thought process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we still on about the Arsenal game FFS?

Not a pen but Newcastle were giving the ball away constantly in the 2nd half and you can't say PSG didn't deserve it as they missed a hatful of chances.

Newcastle got the rub of the green against Arsenal so these things even out.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Because we couldn’t make any subs Ryan. We had nowt left after 70 minutes.
    They'd have taken 1-1 at the start. Dortmund can't afford to play their reserves now because if PSG win there then Dortmund finish 2nd and get a much tougher draw. So I'd fancy Newcastle to beat Milan and PSG not to win in Dortmund.

Are we still on about the Arsenal game FFS?
    Just saying that luck tends to go one way and then the other. One day you're the bug, another day you're the windscreen.

Just saying that luck tends to go one way and then the other. One day you're the bug, another day you're the windscreen.
    Nothing lucky or unlucky about either of the goals.

One was given correctly and one was a sporting travesty.

Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

Little bit dramatic!

Man City showed why they're Champions and the Toon live to see another day, whilst getting up to speed with CL football.

Great pen by the ninja turtle.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Just seen the penalty incident. Not sure what the fuss is about beyond the usual partisan bleating. Of course it’s not a penalty, if you live in 1985. In the modern game it’s given every time. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Just seen the penalty incident. Not sure what the fuss is about beyond the usual partisan bleating. Of course it’s not a penalty, if you live in 1985. In the modern game it’s given every time. Get over it.
    You’re right. It’s just a few partisan Toon fans …… …oh and every single pundit on pretty much any media outlet that has reported on it.

And those pundits are still talking about it this morning because it wasn’t a pen. However I’d rather concentrate on how well we played and how proud I am of this team, squad, manager and club. To go away from home in the UCL with 12 regulars missing and not be able to make a single substitution in 98 mins and still get a result is amazing.

I loved Keegan’s Entertainers but this squad and team is better because they can do everything. KK’s team were swashbuckling individuals who couldn’t defend. I used to say about SAF’s Man United that it didn’t matter who played, they just seamlessly slotted into the system. That’s what we have now. A 17 year old coming in and playing as well he did is because he knows what that position needs in that team in that game.

Brilliant. We definitely have our club back thanks to our owners and manager. Very proud this morning.

You’re right. It’s just a few partisan Toon fans …… …oh and every single pundit on pretty much any media outlet that has reported on it.

I thought it was harsh but actually by UEFA rulings it was a correct decision due to the fact Livramento's arm was away from his body and therefore created an 'unnatural' barrier. Not sure what he could have done to avoid it but that's the rules. PL application of the rules are different though.

Salient extract;

“An extended left arm that essentially creates a barrier…once that left arm is out, even though there is a deflection — that no longer is part of the interpretation and analysis — but since it’s a barrier preventing that ball from crossing in, this is an expected VAR recommendation for a handling offense that the referee is not able to see from his angle and positioning.”
    Tino Livramento's arm was up and extended from his body, and thus in an "unnatural" position according to the current interpretation of the rules.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/foot...ged%20unfairly.

I thought it was harsh but actually by UEFA rulings it was a correct decision due to the fact Livramento's arm was away from his body and therefore created an 'unnatural' barrier. Not sure what he could have done to avoid it but that's the rules. PL application of the rules are different though.

Salient extract;

“An extended left arm that essentially creates a barrier…once that left arm is out, even though there is a deflection — that no longer is part of the interpretation and analysis — but since it’s a barrier preventing that ball from crossing in, this is an expected VAR recommendation for a handling offense that the referee is not able to see from his angle and positioning.”
    Tino Livramento's arm was up and extended from his body, and thus in an "unnatural" position according to the current interpretation of the rules.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/foot...ged%20unfairly.
    Agree on both counts, despite it looking ridiculously harsh.

Edit: Apparently now regarded as an error.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th November 2023 at 13:11.

IFAB rules (and as far as I'm aware they apply to UEFA compeitions in the same way they do the Premier League) say:

..."touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised"

I'm no fan of Newcastle, but it was an awful decision. His arm position was entirely natural for somebody running along. Where else would you expect his arm to be in that position, it's hardly any different to Mbappe waiting behind him. If you watch the video of it, you can see his arms are in a completely natural position.

If it it had hit his other arm which was fully outstretched, then maybe that would have been justified.

Craftsman
    Last nights VAR official has been removed from his game tonight

GENEVA (AP) — A video review official has been removed from his Champions League game on Wednesday, one day after having a key role in a disputed decision to award Paris Saint-Germain a stoppage-time penalty for handball against Newcastle which contradicted UEFA’s own advice to referees.

https://apnews.com/article/newcastle...fd4da406e4ddd#

Will last night's referee, Marciniak, who refereed last season's CL Final & the 2022 WC Final (both with Kwiatkowski on VAR), also be sanctioned?

The VAR can't award the penalty, the onfield referee does. Marciniak is extremely experienced & he, not Kwiatkowski, awarded the penalty presumably because he agreed with the VAR & thought it was a handball having viewed the replays.

One to watch etc., etc..
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    IFAB rules (and as far as I'm aware they apply to UEFA compeitions in the same way they do the Premier League) say:

..."touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised"

I'm no fan of Newcastle, but it was an awful decision. His arm position was entirely natural for somebody running along. Where else would you expect his arm to be in that position, it's hardly any different to Mbappe waiting behind him. If you watch the video of it, you can see his arms are in a completely natural position.

If it it had hit his other arm which was fully outstretched, then maybe that would have been justified.
    Absolutely spot on, anyone that has actually played the game knows that, Who runs with their arms by their side or behind their back?!

I hate the ‘unnatural position’ garbage. For a footballer, having your arms behind your back is an unnatural position.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Absolutely spot on, anyone that has actually played the game knows that, Who runs with their arms by their side or behind their back?!

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Will last night's referee, Marciniak, who refereed last season's CL Final & the 2022 WC Final (both with Kwiatkowski on VAR), also be sanctioned?

The VAR can't award the penalty, the onfield referee does. Marciniak is extremely experienced & he, not Kwiatkowski, awarded the penalty presumably because he agreed with the VAR & thought it was a handball having viewed the replays.

One to watch etc., etc..
    It was a correct decision to award the pen by the laws UEFA have adopted so he won't get sanctioned he'll get applauded.

Stupid law IMHO but it is what it is, if you keep letting their right winger cross the ball in this can happen - there was another handball that could have been given a pen as well but wasn't.

Exactly the same situation as last night in Paris just happened in the Arsenal game. Ref didn't give it, VAR checked it….no pen.

Exactly the same situation as last night in Paris just happened in the Arsenal game. Ref didn't give it, VAR checked it….no pen.
    The Havertz one? Yep I agree, very inconsistent. Stupid rule anyway, should revert to deliberate handball or not IMHO

Yeah that one. Something has to change with hand ball rules because it’s ridiculous at the moment.

The Havertz one? Yep I agree, very inconsistent. Stupid rule anyway, should revert to deliberate handball or not IMHO

What on earth were United thinking splashing out £47m on Onana. I know De Gea has declined steadily over the years (but is still a very good keeper on his day) but to replace him with Onana makes no sense. The guy went on a free to Inter.....that should have told United something. That was an absolute howler for their 2nd goal.

Looking good right now, Ryan, and playing some good football.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Looking good right now, Ryan, and playing some good football.
    Agree tonight went well but Lens were very poor at the back tonight so I'm not getting too carried away. Just pleased we can rest players for the dead rubber in Eindhoven next month, PSV also through so I'd imagine both sides will rotate heavily.

So the VAR assistant who asked the ref to examine Livramento's handball was removed from his post. Not for that decision, but for not asking the ref to look at Antony Gordon's challenge in the box earlier in the 2nd half!

I reckon UEFA will be awarding pens for defenders giving attackers a dirty look next..

I’ve underestimated Nited this season .
    I can see their plan now . Get in the Thursday Club Cup with their biggest rivals in the world and play a final in front of both sets of home fans in the final in Dublin.
    Clever .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I’ve underestimated Nited this season .
    I can see their plan now . Get in the Thursday Club Cup with their biggest rivals in the world and play a final in front of both sets of home fans in the final in Dublin.
    Clever .
    Haters gonna hate - Not as if we were gonna win it anyway
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 1st December 2023 at 15:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    What on earth were United thinking splashing out £47m on Onana. I know De Gea has declined steadily over the years (but is still a very good keeper on his day) but to replace him with Onana makes no sense. The guy went on a free to Inter.....that should have told United something. That was an absolute howler for their 2nd goal.
    he wasnt too clever for the first goal either, at first it looked like a deflection but it wasnt.

Onana looks like a competition winner. I thought we had a rotten goalie in Robin Olsen at Villa, but at least he's only back up and didn't cost £50m.

I often hear that the German and Spanish leagues are inferior to the Premier League and, as I watch quite a bit of those leagues, I'd tend to agree. Yet Bayern and Real top their groups and are cruising into the knockout stages. Bayern haven't lost a UCL group game for six seasons and beat Man Utd last night without getting out of second gear. Real have a 100% record in their group. As the yanks would say "go figure?".

I often hear that the German and Spanish leagues are inferior to the Premier League and, as I watch quite a bit of those leagues, I'd tend to agree. Yet Bayern and Real top their groups and are cruising into the knockout stages. Bayern haven't lost a UCL group game for six seasons and beat Man Utd last night without getting out of second gear. Real have a 100% record in their group. As the yanks would say "go figure?".
    The top 2-3 teams in those leagues are good, but as a whole the standards are much lower. The PL teams from 4th to 10th are a way higher standard than the 4th-10th teams in Spain and Germany,

Master
    It’s the teams below the top teams in the foreign leagues are poor but the top teams are high level.

I think on the whole the prem has the highest overall standard across the board.

Yeah I agree, it's the depth of quality in the EPL that sets us apart. What never seems to corelate for me is how the best teams in those leagues remain top sides in Europe when they only have a few difficult and challenging games per domestic season. Using that formula, Celtic and PSG should be regularly winning the UCL!

It is a strange one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It’s the teams below the top teams in the foreign leagues are poor but the top teams are high level.

I think on the whole the prem has the highest overall standard across the board.

That's the marketing spin, best league in the world blah blah blah

Doubt theres much between them in reality. It's not like English clubs are smashing the 2nd and 3rd tier European competitions is it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    The top 2-3 teams in those leagues are good, but as a whole the standards are much lower. The PL teams from 4th to 10th are a way higher standard than the 4th-10th teams in Spain and Germany,
    Tend to agree though Frankfurt beat Bayern 5-1 at the weekend and that put them up to 7th.
    The English league has more strength in depth right through the league but I'd still expect any la liga team to have a chance against similarly placed English team.
    Money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    That's the marketing spin, best league in the world blah blah blah

Doubt theres much between them in reality. It's not like English clubs are smashing the 2nd and 3rd tier European competitions is it

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Villa have breezed the Conference League group stage so far, top of the group and just need a point tomorrow away at Mostar to guarantee coming top and having one game fewer in the next phase in the new year.

Master
    The Europe leagues are dross.

No English team takes it serious and most teams just play fringe players in it and don’t get serious about it until the 1/4 finals.

I haven’t even watched a Liverpool game in the Europa these team I’ve no interest at all and wouldn’t care if they got beat 10-0 every game by an FC Unknown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    The Europe leagues are dross.

No English team takes it serious and most teams just play fringe players in it and don’t get serious about it until the 1/4 finals.

I haven’t even watched a Liverpool game in the Europa these team I’ve no interest at all and wouldn’t care if they got beat 10-0 every game by an FC Unknown.

Not arrogant at all.

Another very special atmosphere at the cathedral on the hill.

Googled a couple of interesting articles on this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevepr...-in-the-world/

https://sportsquabble.com/is-english...ague-the-best/

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

As I said originally, I don't think it's a massive gulf between them.

What I would say is that Sky/The Times/The Sun/BBC et al etc are all minded to hype their product in their main market.

Whos going to spend £50 a month to subscribe to a TV sports package for "Quite good Footie" rather "EPL best league in the world"....

Possibly ignorant and a bit arrogant if we're not even up for questioning this

Last edited by xxnick1975; 13th December 2023 at 21:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not arrogant at all.
    What’s arrogant about it ? It’s a second rate competition.

I’d rather not be in it at all and concentrate on the league.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another very special atmosphere at the cathedral on the hill.
    Watching the match in a bar in Spain, there are a couple of Geordies very happy here. Come on Newcastle hope you can do it.

Cracking goal from Joelinton

Master
    Newcastle looking really comfortable, just don’t get caught on the break and they have this in the bag.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good news from the other game. Dortmund 1-0 up

Dortmund 1-1 now
    Last edited by hilly10; 13th December 2023 at 22:17.

Guimaraes has been appalling. He's hit 6 misplaced passes so far

Agreed. First poor game in ages. He’s been immense last six to eight games.

Guimaraes has been appalling. He's hit 6 misplaced passes so far