closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm guessing that would be the same stupid handball rule that gifted you a penalty against Man City in the FA Cup Final? :)
    Yes exactly that!! same as the one we got when we beat PSG

Im not saying its not a penalty Im saying the handball rule is a joke nowdays full stop for everyone!!!! (the rule itself is rubbish but even worse is the consistency in prem v european competitions)

Ps you talk about arsenal being the 2nd best team in the league etc etc - you won nothing !!! - You was out of all competitions last year so only had that to focus on so dont get blinded by the great season - that for me was skewed last year as a consequence

This year scraped 2-1 v forest, held on for a narrow 1-0 v palace, 2-2 v fulham, a marginal offside and you could of easily lost v us and even then only won late on and we all know how poor united are, stumbled past everton 1-0 Im yet to see anything from Arsenal that makes me think theyll lay a glove on City or any elite european side

It will be interesting for me how you do particularly if you stay in competitions this year
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 21st September 2023 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

Ps you talk about arsenal being the 2nd best team in the league etc etc - you won nothing !!!
    Serious question: do you believe Man Utd to be the second best team in the league because they won something that wasn't the league: The Carabao Cup? To win that cup they won 5 games against Villa, Burnley, Charlton, Nottingham Forest and Newcastle (3 premier league teams).

The premier league table contains the strongest teams in the country and is literally there to illustrate the position of the teams who have done 'the best'. Are Utd really second best in the league because they had less success over the year against the 20 best clubs in the country but won a knockout cup against weaker opponents?

Confused why Liverpool are playing a weakened side in the Europa League as surely that's a great opportunity for them to win the trophy and get a Champions League spot? I mean they have a decent chance of getting a CL spot via the league but they are unlikely to win the Prem.

Same with Villa playing a seconds string side in the Comference League (yet they went full strength vs Hibs in the play off round).

Confused why Liverpool are playing a weakened side in the Europa League as surely that's a great opportunity for them to win the trophy and get a Champions League spot? I mean they have a decent chance of getting a CL spot via the league but they are unlikely to win the Prem.

Same with Villa playing a seconds string side in the Comference League (yet they went full strength vs Hibs in the play off round).
    Emery naive in Europe, easy for the Reds

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Emery naive in Europe, easy for the Reds

Never in doubt, not sure why Ryan was panicking so early into first game of the competition. Have to give the youngsters a chance somewhere and why not away to a lesser team in a lesser competition.

Be a good experience to learn from.

Indeed and Emery's only won the UEFA 4 times so what the hell does he know!

Master
    The Europa league is absolute pony, Liverpool get to the semi’s and I’ll take interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    The Europa league is absolute pony, Liverpool get to the semi’s and I’ll take interest.

Oh come now surely you will spare some time when Arsenal and Man United join us in the competition?

The referee in the Brighton game is shocking.

Master
    Agree.

Brighton not their usually crisp self tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Agree.

Brighton not their usually crisp self tonight.

Yeah they've been poor. Especially Mitoma and Fati as well as the entire defence. And this is in theory their easiest game

Blog Entries
    The referee in the Brighton game is shocking.
    That challenge on Lamptey was a red card all day long - do they not have VAR ?

z

Master

UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Serious question: do you believe Man Utd to be the second best team in the league because they won something that wasn't the league: The Carabao Cup? To win that cup they won 5 games against Villa, Burnley, Charlton, Nottingham Forest and Newcastle (3 premier league teams).

The premier league table contains the strongest teams in the country and is literally there to illustrate the position of the teams who have done 'the best'. Are Utd really second best in the league because they had less success over the year against the 20 best clubs in the country but won a knockout cup against weaker opponents?
    No I never suggested United we’re the 2nd best team far from it!!!

My point was that I believe The reason arsenal came 2nd last year is due to the fact that they only had the premiership to focus on which aided there performance last season went out carabao cup early forest, beat by city early in fa cup also - hence had a week to prepare for most games and able to field consistent team

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 22nd September 2023 at 13:46.

No I never suggested United we’re the 2nd best team far from it!!!

My point was that I believe The reason arsenal came 2nd last year is due to the fact that they only had the premiership to focus on which aided there performance last season

Ah, I get you now. Your point is that arsenal were the second best team but only because they had one competition to focus on after being knocked out of the Europa. That’s a fair point.

You might well be right (although Arsenal would have rotated their squad)but I suppose the fact is we will never know for sure!

I think Arsenal didn't rotate enough. Remember both Tomiyasu and Saliba got injured in the same Europa game against Sporting and that really derailed our season and meant we had to play Holding at Centre back. Arsenal were 2nd best last season on merit and I think are probably still 2nd best this season although it could be a toss up between them and Liverpool (I think Liverpool still have weaknesses in midfield that they need to address however up top they look potent and Salah is still top drawer and probably a better player even than Saka.

I think Arsenal didn't rotate enough. Remember both Tomiyasu and Saliba got injured in the same Europa game against Sporting and that really derailed our season and meant we had to play Holding at Centre back. Arsenal were 2nd best last season on merit and I think are probably still 2nd best this season although it could be a toss up between them and Liverpool (I think Liverpool still have weaknesses in midfield that they need to address however up top they look potent and Salah is still top drawer and probably a better player even than Saka.
    Probably ?
    That’s one of your best yet .
    What next ? KdB is a slight upgrade on Odegaard ?

By probably 2nd I meant they could be 3rd, it is a toss up between Arsenal and Liverpool for who is 2nd best. I feel that was clear in what I posted.

You City fans are so insecure. Maybe because you realise your success is built on sand and there's an asterix against your achievements?
    Last edited by ryanb741; 22nd September 2023 at 07:44.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Probably ?
    That’s one of your best yet .
    What next ? KdB is a slight upgrade on Odegaard ?
    Odegaard's only 24 and still improving. Just signed a new long term contract so I doubt you'll find a gunners fan who isn't very happy with him.

KdB obviously world class but I reckon he'll be on his way to Saudi Arabia within a couple of seasons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Odegaard's only 24 and still improving. Just signed a new long term contract so I doubt you'll find a gunners fan who isn't very happy with him.

KdB obviously world class but I reckon he'll be on his way to Saudi Arabia within a couple of seasons.
    He is an absolutely fantastic player. To have his quality and leadership skills at such a young age is very impressive and bodes well for the future of your team.

Ironically I thought the VAR team were the only decent officials. The on-field team were dire. How can a ref at this level miss two blatant pens when he's got perfect views of both? VAR at least stepped straight in and told him he'd dropped a bollock. I thought the tackle on Lamptey could have been a red; out of control, off the ground and studs came down onto his ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    That challenge on Lamptey was a red card all day long - do they not have VAR ?

z

Master
    “ Salah probably better than Saka “

Thinking Saka is even in the same stratosphere as Salah is absolutely laughable.

Master
    “ Salah probably better than Saka “

Thinking Saka is even in the same stratosphere as Salah is absolutely laughable.

The bias of fans on here is laughable!!!!

Salah is a proven elite premier league player probably the most established player in the prem at the minute maybe KDB alongside, he has done it consistently year after year, Saka has been immense last season and I think hell go on to do great things and maybe in years to come but to compare them now - no chance
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 22nd September 2023 at 11:16.

You are comparing people of different ages, was Salah as good as Saka at his age? I don't think so, give Saka another 3-4 years and I think he can get to Salah's level, yes he is not there as yet but with luck and no bad injuries he can do.

Master
    Ryan’s claimed Salah is probably better than Saka.

He isn’t comparing them at the same age he’s comparing them now.

I know he hasn’t got a clue about football and says daft things but that is up there with his most ridiculous statements.

Master
    The bias of fans on here is laughable!!!!

Salah is a proven elite premier league player probably the most established player in the prem at the minute maybe KDB alongside, he has done it consistently year after year, Saka has been immense last season and I think hell go on to do great things and maybe in years to come but to compare them now - no chance
    Bias of football fans?

Who’d have thought it!?

Master
    Bias of football fans?

Who’d have thought it!?

I know but its so obvious!!!!

As I said in an earlier quote - Im a football fan first and foremost and Im a Man utd supporter 2nd - I appreciate and respect great managers, teams, players etc, Im also a qualified level 1 and 2 coach so like to think I know my football

some of the comments are based on pure blinded loyalty or hatred towards rivals and without any understanding whatsoever of football - comparing like for like based on a season is ludicrous and disrespectful to the very TOP Players who do it year in year out

Master
    I was just being mischievous, I totally agree with you for what it is worth.

I am a Liverpool fan and may well be biased as most football fans are, however that doesn’t blind me to the fact that other teams players managers are better than my lot at what they do and I am not afraid to admit the same when that is the case.

Ryan’s claimed Salah is probably better than Saka.

He isn’t comparing them at the same age he’s comparing them now.

I know he hasn’t got a clue about football and says daft things but that is up there with his most ridiculous statements.

I haven't got a clue about football because I said Salah is probably better than Saka?!!? Although based on this season's stats Saka has been better for Arsenal than Salah has been for Liverpool thus far based on data so perhaps this is the season where Saka overtakes Salah (who is getting on a bit now)

A bit worrying when West Ham conceded first last night in the Europa after having most of the game.

Scored 3 in the second half though so all is well.

Our new player Kudus from Ajax looks a great buy.

In fact the money we got for Rice looks to have been well spent on three players - Kudus, Alvarez and Ward-Prowse.

Fair exchange I'd say.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I haven't got a clue about football because I said Salah is probably better than Saka?!!? Although based on this season's stats Saka has been better for Arsenal than Salah has been for Liverpool thus far based on data so perhaps this is the season where Saka overtakes Salah (who is getting on a bit now)
    Ryan please stop this madness.

Salah has better stats than any winger to ever play the game.

Saka is a very good player but he’s nowhere near the level of Salah.

Salah scored 19 league goals and 12 assists in a dogshit Liverpool side last year that had no midfield.

Saka got 14 and 11 in a team that topped the table for 90% of the year.

It’s levels buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    A bit worrying when West Ham conceded first last night in the Europa after having most of the game.

Scored 3 in the second half though so all is well.

Our new player Kudus from Ajax looks a great buy.

In fact the money we got for Rice looks to have been well spent on three players - Kudus, Alvarez and Ward-Prowse.

Fair exchange I'd say.
    I'd agree there, especially Ward-Prowse who is deadly at set pieces.

By probably 2nd I meant they could be 3rd, it is a toss up between Arsenal and Liverpool for who is 2nd best. I feel that was clear in what I posted.

You City fans are so insecure. Maybe because you realise your success is built on sand and there's an asterix against your achievements?
    I wasn’t highlighting the 2nd best team, just your comparison between Saka and Salah .
    Why don’t you pop your insecurity theory on your favourite fans forum ? That would be fun :)

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I wasn’t highlighting the 2nd best team, just your comparison between Saka and Salah .
    Why don’t you pop your insecurity theory on your favourite fans forum ? That would be fun :)
    Already have. Had some 'varied' responses shall we say.

Um latest stats...Salah has played 1 less game (Saka extra game is community shield)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...al/top-scorers
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...ol/top-scorers

Overall looking at both teams very similar, we don't play Liverpool and Brighton until December, Toon in November. Within next 4 EPL games are AngeSpurs, Man Citeh and Chelsea so guess will have an idea at where we are after those. I only attend the home games and have just MoTD for external team form for reference but I think we aren't as good as last year (excluding the end of season fade) but only to be expected when rotating/ playing formation and keepy bally. Comparing last season respective matches we are 1 point up but with less goals scored...

Oh well off to the NLD and hope some entertaining football breaks out, and weather better than PSV (who hadn't lost in ~26 games prior to playing us but were a bit kind on lack of pressing).

Can't wait for the game against PSG next week, our first CL game in 20 years. It'll be an incredible occasion and the ground will be an unreal place to be. It's always a great atmosphere at SJP but this will be unreal. Definitely a night for getting to the ground early. First CL game ever for my kids so looking forward to them experiencing the full-on SJP experience.

Oh and we'll be watching arguably the best player in the world right now. Yep, Dan Burn ;)

Master
    Rashford has to shoot in that position!

I'm thinking Man Utd have actually found a special talent here, really impressed with him tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I'm thinking Man Utd have actually found a special talent here, really impressed with him tonight...
    Certainly hope so!!

Cant fault his commitment!

Master
    Second good finish, took it well and his pace looked impressive.

Master
    Well that didn’t last long!

Well that didn’t last long!

Defence is rubbish!

United are ba…………….
    Aaah never mind !!

Master
    What a stupid challenge! What a silly keeper they have signed.

Master
    Icardi was charitable with penalty and then redeems himself quite esquisitely.

I'm beginning to think my optimism about Arsenal doing well in the CL was misplaced. Shot ourselves in the foot, Lens keeper was excellent but without Martinelli and Saka we have no pace and cutting edge.

Hojland looks a real player. The Man Utd board must be asking themselves why they let De Gea go on a free and then buy Onana (50 million was it?) a few more rucks and he'll start getting talked about like Massimo Taibi, and Mount wow, looks a shadow of the player from 3-4 seasons ago...

Ten Hag will be getting the dreaded vote of confidence very soon...

Craftsman
    That Man U keeper is not an upgrade on De Gea.
    Arteta seems to have picked his No.1, Can’t see Ramsdale hanging about to play in cup games, he is better than what United have between the sticks at present.

Master
    I'm beginning to think my optimism about Arsenal doing well in the CL was misplaced. Shot ourselves in the foot, Lens keeper was excellent but without Martinelli and Saka we have no pace and cutting edge.
    You should progress to next stages unless Saka is a long term injury, don’t see you getting much further than that though. I didn’t watch the game yesterday and say that mostly on your history.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From what I remember degea wasn't great when he first started Manu.

Poor game, should not be losing to Lens. Still some stupid decisions, taking off Odegaard to bring on Nketiah was just stupid, lost all our creativity for someone who did not even touch the ball for 15 mins.

We do miss Martinelli, and now Saka. We needed to get than Man U striker, he looks a good player, same money as Havertz :-(