closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Klopp is clearly a fantastic people manager and motivator but I feel comparing him with Pep isn't quite apples with apples as Pep is used to working at big elite superclubs, dealing with egos, imparting his style and getting the results the club expects. Barca, Bayern, City etc. Klopp is used to working at clubs a rung below the elite (Dortmund, Liverpool) where maximising the efforts of a less talented squad vs the massive teams is what is required. Klopp probably doesn't do as well as Pep if he managed City, maybe Pep doesn't do as well at Liverpool.

Master
    Can’t argue with that Ryan.

Horses for courses.

It’s ON here for Liverpool by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong team put out and loads of time, just don’t concede.

Villa still alive as well - updated: well done Villa.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 18th April 2024 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

It’s ON here for Liverpool by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It’s genuine.

I’ve said from the start of the season I’ve got no interest in the Europa league.

Master
    I’ll be clear Mr Ballesteros, I don’t care if we go through.

I know the London Stadium gets a bad rep but it is bouncing tonight…

Why are Liverpool playing like Everton, continually passing the ball back to the goalkeeper.

You won’t score any goals passing back all the time, trust me as a Blue, I know.

Hammers look knackered, now conceded a leveller. Just Villa left from the PL and in the mickey mouse trophy as well so not a good look for the PL. All that money spent and no end product.

Really positive first half. Probably the best I’ve seen West Ham play this season. Unfortunately there’s no squad depth and there’s no way we could keep up the intensity.

Craftsman
    Replays in the FA Cup to be cancelled now because of extra games being played in the champions league next season.
    Doesn’t seem to be the same outpouring of hate from the fans with uefa pushing for a super league rather than the clubs themselves.

Villa mostly played very badly but did just enough to get through. Learned a new rule though, yellow cards in a penalty shoot out don’t count as a red if they’re a second one. Martinez was booked in normal time and got a second in the shoot out. Was expecting him to walk, but no. Who knew?

Wow I didn't know that!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Villa mostly played very badly but did just enough to get through. Learned a new rule though, yellow cards in a penalty shoot out don’t count as a red if they’re a second one. Martinez was booked in normal time and got a second in the shoot out. Was expecting him to walk, but no. Who knew?

Master
    Sh1thousery from Martinez in a penalty shootout, who would’ve thought it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Really positive first half. Probably the best I’ve seen West Ham play this season. Unfortunately there’s no squad depth and there’s no way we could keep up the intensity.
    That's that then.

Unfortunately we can't compete with the cheque book Charlies who have whole nations backing them nowadays.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Pep takes over world class squads, end of.

Brian Clough’s achievement is head and shoulders above Pep, takes over a Div 2 team, gets them promoted to the top division, wins it in their first year and then not only wins the European Cup a year later, but retains it the following year.

Shall we put Pep in charge of Stoke or Preston and see if he can achieve the same thing, I think not.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What Clough achieved with that Forest team was, for me, the greatest footballing achievement that I'm aware of. Pep makes the game complicated but Cloughy simplified it to its most simple form; you're good at tackling so you win the ball and give it to someone who's better than you at carrying it and he gives it to the best person at putting it in the net. Simple. I think I'll watch the documentary again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That's that then.

Unfortunately we can't compete with the cheque book Charlies who have whole nations backing them nowadays.

Alonso was able to bring on €100m of attacking talent at half time which we couldn't cope with in the second half. The best we could manage was a new RB and the rarely spotted Maxwell Cornet. To keep up the sort of high press that was working for the first 45 mins we had to bring on some fresh legs but if you look at the subs bench last night, 6 of the 10 were u21s which Moyes was never going to use.

We needed to strengthen in January after getting rid of Fornals, Benrahma and Kehrer. Hopefully whoever's managing the club next season gets a few quid to spend in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Sh1thousery from Martinez in a penalty shootout, who would’ve thought it?

Emi Martinez slapped with UEFA ban despite avoiding red card for penalty shootout antics. Aston Villa have confirmed Emiliano Martinez is suspended for the first leg of their Europa Conference League semi-final with the goalkeeper to serve a one-match ban.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    What Clough achieved with that Forest team was, for me, the greatest footballing achievement that I'm aware of. Pep makes the game complicated but Cloughy simplified it to its most simple form; you're good at tackling so you win the ball and give it to someone who's better than you at carrying it and he gives it to the best person at putting it in the net. Simple. I think I'll watch the documentary again this weekend.
    But Clough did it with the same team back to back. Great achievement, sure, but didn't he sign the first £1mn player? That's not chequebook?

What about those managers that have done it at different clubs, across the years. Not like ZZ doing three on the bounce with the same team.

Jose did it with Porto and Inter, neither top table teams really, and I'm sure others have. That's worthy of consideration.

And just another point. Peps philosophy is not at all complicated. Keep the ball, create chances as close to the goal as you can, if you lose it win it back quickly.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 19th April 2024 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    He is banned from the next match though so it isn't entirely without consequence

I know we all like to moan about refs, but the one in the Villa match last night was abysmal, one of the worst I've ever seen. He was dreadful for both teams, looked like he was a competition winner to have a go at reffing for the day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    But Clough did it with the same team back to back. Great achievement, sure, but didn't he sign the first £1mn player? That's not chequebook?

What about those managers that have done it at different clubs, across the years. Not like ZZ doing three on the bounce with the same team.

Jose did it with Porto and Inter, neither top table teams really, and I'm sure others have. That's worthy of consideration.

And just another point. Peps philosophy is not at all complicated. Keep the ball, create chances as close to the goal as you can, if you lose it win it back quickly.

Clough also done it with Derby County. Bottom of the 2nd division to English champions in about 4 years. Reached the semi finals of the European cup with Derby as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Clough also done it with Derby County. Bottom of the 2nd division to English champions in about 4 years. Reached the semi finals of the European cup with Derby as well.
    Competition was much weaker then. There weren't and Ronaldos, Messis and Havertzes around in those days.

Not knocking BC but if 'it' was getting to the SF or better then I suspect Jose did it 4 or five times. Different gravy.

Craftsman
    Not knocking BC but if 'it' was getting to the SF or better then I suspect Jose did it 4 or five times. Different gravy.

It wasn’t, it was more to do with taking 2 teams from the division below and going on to win the league with both teams. Will never be done again.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Competition was much weaker then. There weren't and Ronaldos, Messis and Havertzes around in those days.
    Absolute rubbish. The Bayern Munich team that won it three years on the trot had most of the West German team in it that won the World Cup in 1974. Same for the great Ajax team, loads of Dutch superstars in it.

I wonder how Messi would have coped playing in a mud bath with Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith etc kicking ten tons of shite out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Absolute rubbish. The Bayern Munich team that won it three years on the trot had most of the West German team in it that won the World Cup in 1974. Same for the great Ajax team, loads of Dutch superstars in it.

I wonder how Messi would have coped playing in a mud bath with Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith etc kicking ten tons of shite out of him.
    I believe you've missed the irony in my post.

Missed it big time

It wasn’t, it was more to do with taking 2 teams from the division below and going on to win the league with both teams. Will never be done again.
    Okay. Champions league thread fyi.

Craftsman

Europa league, whatever the Aston Villa league is called and all the talk of the greatest ever manager means it a long time since this was a solely champions league thread fyi.

Master
    Good game between Bayern and Real Madrid. Difficult to pick a winner overall. Still think Bayern will shade it

Yep, good game with some serious talent on show. Madrid will win fairly comfortably at home in my opinion.

Good game between Bayern and Real Madrid. Difficult to pick a winner overall. Still think Bayern will shade it

Master
    Yep, good game with some serious talent on show. Madrid will win fairly comfortably at home in my opinion.
    Looking forward to tonight’s game too. Dortmund to take a small advantage to Paris next week

Me too and let's hope so.

Looking forward to tonight’s game too. Dortmund to take a small advantage to Paris next week

Next season it should be the European football thread to cover all three competitions.

Can’t argue with that, as not only league champions, backed it up with European cups when it was a proper competition. Gaining entry only by winning the league, and a brutal 2 legged tie. Drawn out the hat, you get who you get, home and away and that’s your lot.

What Leicester achieved in winning the prem after nearly getting relegated the season before is right up there with it….