closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rising 'film stars'

Rising 'film stars'

Tom Cruise, bless his heart, is starting to get on a bit. While he's still reliably making films that you know are going to be watchable because, well, Tom Cruise, he probably can't go on forever. Probably. So who's waiting in the wings to be the next star who can sell a film just with their name?

The film industry seem to have been trying quirky looking actors like Timothy Chalamet and Ezra Miller, but despite being in everything Chalamet hasn't, for me, done anything remarkable yet, and Ezra Miller, well ...

Ryan Gosling has developed a habit of being good in films that are very successful, but does anyone say "Ooh, must go and see the new Ryan Gosling film"? For me, Adam Driver is one of the stand out actors of the moment, but I don't think he's conventionally good looking enough, and a bit like like Ryan Gosling, I can't see him being a big box office draw on name only.

So, who should we be keeping an eye on?

To address the elephant in the room, Marvel aside, there aren't that many lead roles for women actors, so I think we still have the old Hollywood model of attractive male star.

This might help inspire some ideas!

Good thread got me thinking about this one, as -to me- Hollywood has a tendency to select a star and place them in as many films as possible in a short space of time to
    milk as much from their stardon as quickly as possible

I don't think that this always works, as there will always be a couple of dudd films in there and that can either lead to a slump or worse a shortened career

I'd like to suggest Theo James as a very good up and coming actor. He was good in White Lotus and is the lead actor in the upcoming Netflix series of Guy Ritchie's 'TheGentlemen' I did some work on this show and the chat on set was of nothing but high praise for him

He may not make it to Cruise levels of stardom but you never know

Craftsman
    Jack O'Connell in Godless, SAS rogue heroes, North Water, etc is a great actor.

For action I'd say JOHN DAVID WASHINGTON yep Denzel's lad. Some sterling work so far such as Tenet and BlacKkKlansman.

For a more dramatic flair, for the new Jack Nicholson, I'll go CALEB LANDRY JONES as seen in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and American Made.

I feel the same about music - where’s the next Tina Turner/Prince/David Bowie/Elton John/George Michael? - it’s all DJ mumbles featuring hashtag nobody. And I don’t think it’s just my age, something about streaming services and access to media seems to have created a vast universe of average to good with nobody really standing out - and nobody producing the sheer volume of quality content like a Bowie or a Cruise in their respective media. A bit sad tbh, as I’m sure the talent must be out there, it’s just not getting a chance to emerge from all the noise?

I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a good actor. Not a heartthrob for the ladies mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a good actor. Not a heartthrob for the ladies mind.
    His mum was a babe

Quite enjoy Joaquin Phoenix, will usually watch whatever movie he's starring in.

Later this year we'll see him in Ridley Scott's Napoleon.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Jake Gyllenhall rarely puts a foot wrong in choosing roles.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I feel the same about music - where’s the next Tina Turner/Prince/David Bowie/Elton John/George Michael? - it’s all DJ mumbles featuring hashtag nobody. And I don’t think it’s just my age, something about streaming services and access to media seems to have created a vast universe of average to good with nobody really standing out - and nobody producing the sheer volume of quality content like a Bowie or a Cruise in their respective media. A bit sad tbh, as I’m sure the talent must be out there, it’s just not getting a chance to emerge from all the noise?
    Well, like 'em or loathe 'em, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift are certainly as big as any of them.

Maybe not as inventive as Bowie, but he wasn't always the big selling star he became.

I'm sure there are people out there doing inventive stuff.

Film wise, it's harder to say - Joaquin Phoenix is always good, but he's not really a 'star' like Cruise and I'm struggling to think of a modern actress who I'd say "Oh, she's in it, it'll be good" the way I would Meryl Streep, for example.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm struggling to think of a modern actress who I'd say "Oh, she's in it, it'll be good"
    Margot Robbie is probably the biggest rising actress (unintentional double entendre)

Master
    Not exactly up and coming, by surely Ryan Reynolds deserves a mention as someone who can both sell and carry a film.

Chris Pine also has star quality, it’s just a pity contractual shenanigans meant we haven’t seen enough of his note perfect Captain Kirk.

Chris Hemsworth springs to mind now someone has mentioned Chris Pine.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Amy Adams, the girl has been nominated 6 times already.
    When will she be awarded the Oscar she thoroughly deserves???

Supporting actress, best actress, the lady is amazing.

She should of pick up the gongs for both The Fighter and Arrival.

Ain’t too shabby as Lois Lane either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk