closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Treadmill Advice

Master

Home Treadmill Advice

Mrs M has decided it will be a good idea to introduce a treadmill to the household. It can’t be any old treadmill as it must also have an incline feature and be foldable. The cynic in me says it should also have plenty of space to hang clothes on but I am being assured it will be used for its intended purpose.

Without wanting to spend thousands are there any sensibly priced machines which may be suitable? To be honest it’s an area I know nothing about so any pointers appreciated.

I’ve had a couple of the big ones with inclines but ended up selling, brought a small one with no inclines called therun and it’s pretty decent tbh I guess it depends on what you’re looking for I just use it for a quick walk before a weight workout
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/treadmill-T...BY9DI25JV&th=1
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 29th August 2023 at 19:46.

Master
    I’ve got this one, it’s a superb bit of lot for the price.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mp/via...9-4b2dd84d7b99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can she not use the one outside your front door 🤔

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Can she not use the one outside your front door 樂
    I’ve already been there, it’s for when the darker nights set in.

Deleted - my suggestion isn't foldable

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 30th August 2023 at 08:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    I’ve already been there, it’s for when the darker nights set in.
    See current torch buying threads. ?

just join a gym and use any equipment you want , unless you buy an industrial gym machine you are wasting your money , same goes for rowing machines (buy a concept 2 or forget it).
    most home gym equipment just ends up being an expensive cost hanger that ends up taking some time to get rid of because it wont fit in a car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    just join a gym and use any equipment you want , unless you buy an industrial gym machine you are wasting your money , same goes for rowing machines (buy a concept 2 or forget it).
    most home gym equipment just ends up being an expensive cost hanger that ends up taking some time to get rid of because it wont fit in a car.
    Not a chance she’ll join a gym unfortunately. I have the same feeling re: the coat hangers hence not wanting to spend big money in the first place.

Craftsman
    I was looking at these recently as I do a fair amount of running and while I don’t mind the cold dark mornings (Petzl Nao+ is worth every penny) the OH isn’t so confident. I was considering a NordicTrack, as we’ll both use it.

In reading up I read a good review on this one from decathlon - Domyos 4540C Smart Treadmill. I know you said you didn’t want to spend thousands - this one is £600.

Master
    Reading with interest as I quite like the idea of having one under my standing desk for some long meetings. Used to work for a company that had a couple of meeting rooms with treadmills in and views across London, was always my preferred place to book.

Master
    I think this is true regards high end equipment. Running on a smaller treadmill, where you have to be careful where you step is really unpleasant. They also take quite a pounding so they need to be of a certain quality

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy second hand. Even high quality ones go for pennies as people buy, don’t use then sell …

I'd look at getting something that you could use Ifit. Extremely immersive and my proform 9000 (basically budget nordictrak) has auto follow so adapts speed and incline based on the trainer

I managed to get a refurb from restylefitness for less than half price (£990) with 6 months warranty. Expensive, but as good a home system as you could get - and I had a Peloton treadmill a while back

Master
    ^ bloody lovely bit of kit, but bugger the trainers adjusting it for me as I work out. Sounds like boot camp lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    ^ bloody lovely bit of kit, but bugger the trainers adjusting it for me as I work out. Sounds like boot camp lol.
    haha - there is that!

Its great though, you can adapt it to what you want and it auto adjusts based on your own requirements just at the right times etc. I also love the 'outdoor scenic' runs/walks. Its added a few places to my must see list across the globe. I do use this as well as go to the gym and outdoor training (mainly on my MTB) but its a great treadmill - and find using it far better than headphones/music on and running indoors.

I have this one:
    https://www.sportsdirect.com/reebok-...lcode=76500203

Bought 2nd hand (virtually unused) for £200

It folds (sort of) although I never fold it as I have no need. It is fine for what it is but the associated 'tech' (speakers, music integration) is very dated if that matters to you.

We are on our second treadmill, my wife is a serious runner and will do two to three 5k runs a week.

The current one is branded Roger Black and is going very strong. It is nicely made and functional.

The last one wasn't Roger Black, I can't remember who made it,. It wore out the motor (I replaced it) then the circuit board fried,. And I couldn't find a replacement.

I would suggest you don't need to spend mega bucks, but the cheaper it is the more likely you'll need to repair/fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Reading with interest as I quite like the idea of having one under my standing desk for some long meetings.
    Rammstein's keyboard player had a similar idea.

Just check your ceiling heights for space. It something that's easily overlooked but treadmills can be a good step up off the ground say 250mm, add your height in trainers 1850mm, plus 100mm for bounce and you'd be left with 200mm/20cm clearance on a standard 2.4m house ceiling meaning you could be punching the ceiling if you finish your run with fists in the air like Rocky if you like to run with the machine on an incline.

My brother in law bought a decent treadmill for his garage and roof joists are close for comfort (for me) when running on his treadmill.

I bought a Concept 2, and that also has ended up being an expensive coat hanger

Craftsman
    Kettler are good

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I bought a Concept 2, and that also has ended up being an expensive coat hanger
    yeah that happens - i cant help with lack of interest /motivation :) , i was talking from the viewpoint of buying cheaper machines which break and you cant get the parts for them - concept 2 parts are easy to get (same goes for other industrial/gym capable machines).

fitness machines are like most other things you buy - if you pay cheap you are going to be be replacing it pretty soon with something you wish you had spent the money on in the first place.

Do you really need a running machine? Could you try running outside first to see if running is for you? Much cheaper and more fulfilling