closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A little inheritance to spend

A little inheritance to spend

Hi,
    not a regular poster but looking for some wider perspective on what to do with some inheritance I've been left.
    I have been left £2500 by my father-in-law recently and the steer was to get myself a watch, something a bit different and not run of the mill! I can bolster this to about £4k by either adding cash or trading in my speedmaster day date 3523.80.00 as I find this a bit small. So was considering an alternative triple date watch but something slightly larger, however after wearing it for the last week or so I may keep hold of it.

Most of my favourite watches I have are quite large (Breiting Superocean 2, Chrono Superoceoan, Franck Muller Vanguard (Titanium/Rose gold), Zenith Captain Chrono, Zenith TV 'Big Blue', Chronoswiss Flying Grand Regulator Open Gear Resec Ltd Ed, Orient King Dive 40th Ann. Ed) and are all automatics. I have a small number of quartz/solar watches and am not looking to expand in that direction.

So, what's the criteria? New or used is good provided used has a full set. Something that has some complications and a really individual looking design, greater than or equal to 40mm diam, but preferably 42-45mm. Not looking for more mainstream brands (Omega, Breitling, Longines, Rolex (out of price range but not a fan anyway), or any precious metal but would entertain coloured cases (my Chronoswiss is all blue!). Been looking at some options from Corum, Ball, Maurice Lacroix but I'm sure there are many more niche brands out there that I could consider.

Any suggestions from the wider community?

Journeyman
    Similar position here as I’ve been left some money by my uncle, I have some Seiko divers, a Grand Seiko GMT and Ginault Sub clone and a Hanhart fleiger crono but am thinking of adding a Panerai Luminor Marina. Not an Omega or Breitling fan and would like a Starbucks but not paying up. Most of my watches are black dial and with the Luminor, I am thinking white like the PAM1314 but not sure.
    Have you considered Panerai

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Have a look at these - within your price range and size. Anything suit?

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/watche...esPriceTo=4000

how about Cartier? For example: https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Cartie...56/item/253312
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th August 2023 at 21:41.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    You would be able to get a ulysse nardin maxi marine diver for that budget. I'd also have a look at Doxa.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Have a look at these - within your price range and size. Anything suit?

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/watche...esPriceTo=4000

how about Cartier? For example: https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Cartie...56/item/253312
    Thanks,
    some good ideas in there from UN, Mont Blanc, Corum and Cartier (Roadster and calibre de cartier). Will search further as will be in London in October so could pop into Watchfinder.

Craftsman
    Buy these niche brands pre owned , some bargains to be had as these watches are difficult to shift

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by minsted View Post
    Similar position here as I’ve been left some money by my uncle, I have some Seiko divers, a Grand Seiko GMT and Ginault Sub clone and a Hanhart fleiger crono but am thinking of adding a Panerai Luminor Marina. Not an Omega or Breitling fan and would like a Starbucks but not paying up. Most of my watches are black dial and with the Luminor, I am thinking white like the PAM1314 but not sure.
    Have you considered Panerai

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks,
    Panerai may be a possibility, depending on the model available. Good luck with your search.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    You would be able to get a ulysse nardin maxi marine diver for that budget. I'd also have a look at Doxa.
    Thanks,
    should have thought of UN earlier as the wife has a Lady Diver!

2nd hand Black Bay Pro?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Take a look at Glashutte Original - different to your current collection, amazing quality and value for money and the large date complication is perfect. Either sports or dressier is available, your choice.

If you are looking left of center & big...…Bell & Ross, for your £4k budget you could get a new GMT complication or second hand one at around the £2500 mark. Again second hand then you could be into a chrono for just under £4k.

Good luck with your search.

Master
    Haven't you got a distant cousin from one of the small african states that has access to watch stock from all the major companies that can help you? Most of my friends have had emails from him. Occasionally he has good investment deal too! :)

Master
    You could add:

Sinn
    Brellum
    Schofield

Can I suggest Linde Werdelin? Their earlier GMTs are within budget.

Apprentice
    In 2010 when my mum passed, I was left with some money and so bought a Rolex Deepsea, in the days when you just called an AD you'd never spoken to before, and you picked up the watch the day after.

This watch meant a lot because of how it had been funded and as a happy reminder of my mum. I kept it for 10 years and only sold it in 2021 in order to buy a JLC.

My advice, buy a classic watch, something that looks quietly impressive. Perhaps a dress watch, circa Cartier or even Reverso.

GS Diver’s 200m - either the spring drive (or hi-beat for a few quid more) would be money well spent, IMO
    Steel or Ti options. A lot of watch for the money at pre-owned prices.

Balls. Just re-read. No complications on the above, unless you count the spring drive charge meter

You do not seem averse to all sorts of brands. Maybe try Fortis. Look New and Pre-owned.
    They do lots of chronos, GMTs, various day/date combos.
    The older B-42 range offer amazing value pre-owned.
    The newer stuff is a bit pricey but think you can easily haggle on them.
    They do loads of stuff from 40 up to 48mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 28th August 2023 at 17:31.

For example. Bet you could get that for £3k.
    All the bits the Speedie had, but beefed up.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Different and definitely away from mainstream - Azimuth
    Either S-P 1 Spaceship or Mr Roboto.

I'd have Ryan's SJE093J1 on sales corner.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 29th August 2023 at 11:59.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

For example. Bet you could get that for £3k.
    All the bits the Speedie had, but beefed up.

I like that very nice!

Master
    >really individual looking design, greater than or equal to 40mm diam, but preferably 42-45mm<

Under £4,000 would get you a Tudor Black Bay Bronze 'Bucherer', 43mm, no complications but rarely seen and will develop it's own unique patina.

Around £4,000 the TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 11. Iconic chrono and wears large due to square case

Well under £4,000 the Sinn 903 Navigation Chronograph, rarer than the Breitling Navitimer, wears large for 41mm, well complicated :)

Last edited by J J Carter; 30th August 2023 at 22:10.

Master
    A few options from Ulysse Nardin on C24 Executive Dual time, Michaelangelo, Classico, maxi marine diver.
    All totally hatstand.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    >really individual looking design, greater than or equal to 40mm diam, but preferably 42-45mm<

Under £4,000 would get you a Tudor Black Bay Bronze 'Bucherer', 43mm, no complications but rarely seen and will develop it's own unique patina.

Around £4,000 the TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 11. Iconic chrono and wears large due to square case

Well under £4,000 the Sinn 903 Navigation Chronograph, rarer than the Breitling Navitimer, wears large for 41mm, well complicated :)

I didn’t know that Tudor even existed, it looks very nice.

I better cut up my debit and credit cards haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently trawling C24 to build list of potentials from the likes of Corum, Union Glashutte, Panerai, Bell & Ross, Cartier. However the search will continue for a little while yet as the Monaco, UN and a few other suggestions are worth a look.

Some good shouts on this thread, and some generic howlers too.

Looking at the OP’s stated tastes, surely something from the eponymous Gerald Genta line would be perfect?

Craftsman
    https://giulianomazzuoli.com/product...olished-black/

Acknowledge that this suggestion might not be to all tastes but the OP did say something out of the ordinary and this is based on the design of a pressure gauge.

Available in the UK from here
    https://www.thelimitededition.co.uk

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Personally, if it meant selling the Speedmaster day date because of it size I’d be looking at a used Automatic Speedy Racing, 44mm. Great looking, good size, display case back and will hold its value.

Hi, a bit of an update and more thoughts sought. I've come across a brand called Schaumburg which appear to be a relatively new German brand with some interesting designs. Formed in 1998 they seem to only make about 1000 pieces per year, what feedback I can find seems very positive.
    Models of interest to me:

Schaumburg AQM 5 ViperFish (https://www.chrono24.co.uk/watch/6DBME4)

Schaumburg Retrolateur (https://www.chrono24.co.uk/watch/I000G6)

Schaumburg Siding Spring GMT (https://www.chrono24.co.uk/watch/3T2OZ4)

I was potentially thinking of the diver and either the GMT of the regulator model. Both can be customised with different coloured dials etc. Anyone have any knowledge or experience of this brand?
    Last edited by IanH; 9th September 2023 at 21:07.

I tell you 10000000% what I'd buy with that money. It is smaller than your focus size, I'm a big fatty with chunky wrists but still I'd buy this. A direct reproduction of the 60s original.

Ocarat will say no discount on this (the 10% welcome code won't work if this is in the basket on its own) but there's a glitch on their site meaning if you add a cheap watch from a brand they will discount on (like casio for £30 or so) then the whole order gets the 10% discount.

It will also give you 5% of the order value in store credit after 30 days so you could order a cheap beater with the £130 or so you'd get credited.

Quality is fab.

https://ocarat.com/montre-grands-fon...zrc-96202.html
    Last edited by ryanb741; 9th September 2023 at 19:37.

Tudor Black Bay Chrono pre owned for around £3k.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I tell you 10000000% what I'd buy with that money. It is smaller than your focus size, I'm a big fatty with chunky wrists but still I'd buy this. A direct reproduction of the 60s original.

Ocarat will say no discount on this (the 10% welcome code won't work if this is in the basket on its own) but there's a glitch on their site meaning if you add a cheap watch from a brand they will discount on (like casio for £30 or so) then the whole order gets the 10% discount.

It will also give you 5% of the order value in store credit after 30 days so you could order a cheap beater with the £130 or so you'd get credited.

Quality is fab.

https://ocarat.com/montre-grands-fon...zrc-96202.html
    What is the 10% welcome code?

Craftsman
    A very subjective thread but this link has some very nice options away from the mainstream stuff.

Happy hunting

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watche...hes-under-5000

Thanks for the additional options. Probably worth noting that there's nothing in the Tudor, Tag, Omega range that I'm interested in.

@ryanb741 - thanks for the suggestion but not for me that one.

@Walts - again, thanks for the link. The Frederic Constantin in that selection looks good.

Craftsman
    If that’s the style you like, what about something like this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What is the 10% welcome code?
    'Welcome' lol

It works for repeat orders so not just the 1st however ordinarily for some brands on the Ocarat site like ZRC, Sinn, Minase etc the code isn't valid as they don't discount those brands but if you buy a cheap Casio for £20 or so with it, the discount code will work as it would have been eligible for the Casio and somehow that makes it apply to the whole order.

Hi All,
    just a little update to this thread.
    Still waiting to complete all the probate stuff etc but should be done by end year so looking to purchase probably late Dec.
    Was in Manchester today and had a look at one of these: Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE257 Green Dial (https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbge257g).
    At the moment that seems to be top of the list, but is subject to change! (Thanks to all those who have contacted me with some great suggestions)

Ian

Update

Hi,
    been scouring the sales over the holidays and not seen too much to prompt a purchase. What I am looking at is a Panerai, potentially a new Luminor Blue Mare PAM1085 or something from the used market. I've not seen any deals on new Panerai and residuals on used also seem strong. Anyone have any experience of dealing with Panerai and any potential discounts?
    Thanks,
    Ian

Master
    Blog Entries
    With your criteria I would be tempted by a Finanzplatzuhr, specifically this one:

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/6012.htm
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 31st December 2023 at 20:57.

I think I’d sell the Speedmaster and then go for either a Sinn 103 ti Diapal or a Fortis Novonaut N-42.

Yes, decided the Speedy will be sold. hanks for the ideas.

Hi,
    to close the loop I picked up a new Panerai Luminor 8 Giorni PAM00915 today. Decided against any significant complications as I have a number of chrono etc watches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Great choice going with the Panerai, wear it and enjoy it
    brace yourself (and finances) for the inevitable influx of straps!

Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    Hi,
    to close the loop I picked up a new Panerai Luminor 8 Giorni PAM00915 today. Decided against any significant complications as I have a number of chrono etc watches.
    915’s are beautiful. Great choice. 8 day movement makes it practical as well. Enjoy.

Cordes and Kostas are right up there with the best for aftermarket straps. I’ve learnt the expensive way and now wouldn’t use anybody else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk