closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Things To Do In/near Dubrovnik

Things To Do In/near Dubrovnik

I went to Dubrovnik in May but (a) was there with friends for a wedding and (b) the weather was unseasonably awful so couldn't do much. Thankfully the wedding wasn't affected but there were no boat trip running to islands and the cable car wasn't running while we were there.

I've decided to go back in a few weeks on my own for a short break to do some of the stuff we missed.

One thing we did manage to do on one of the few good afternoons was the walk around the walls and I'm aware of the Buža Bar (although it was rammed when we tried to get in so we skipped it).
    I'd like to go up the cable car and am staying near the bottom station so that's that one sorted.
    I'd also like to go on an 'Islands Boat Trip' - because the weren't running we didn't really look into them so I'm wondering if there are different boat trips available, best place to get one from etc?
    Apart from the stuff I've done or know about (walls, boat trip and cable car) is there anything else I should be looking at? If not, that's fine - I'm only there for four days and if I do 'stuff' for two days and lounge by the pool and read for two days, I'd be quite happy.
    I won't have any transport of my own but if there was somewhere near Dubrovnik worth seeing that's doable with public transport, I'd consider that too.

p.s. I've never watched Game Of Thrones so have no interest in any connection to that (although I believe I have walked the 'Steps Of Shame')

We took a trip to Mostar which was very good .
    I know you’ve done the walls but we took a guide who knew a fair bit about the war so his insights were above the ordinary .
    A boat trip to Cavtat for the day is a perfect wind down and the waters are simply beautiful for swimming in .
    The only island we did was the one with all the bloody peacocks .

A trip to Cavtat is well worth it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I went to Dubrovnik in May but (a) was there with friends for a wedding and (b) the weather was unseasonably awful so couldn't do much. Thankfully the wedding wasn't affected but there were no boat trip running to islands and the cable car wasn't running while we were there.

I've decided to go back in a few weeks on my own for a short break to do some of the stuff we missed.

One thing we did manage to do on one of the few good afternoons was the walk around the walls and I'm aware of the Buža Bar (although it was rammed when we tried to get in so we skipped it).
    I'd like to go up the cable car and am staying near the bottom station so that's that one sorted.
    I'd also like to go on an 'Islands Boat Trip' - because the weren't running we didn't really look into them so I'm wondering if there are different boat trips available, best place to get one from etc?
    Apart from the stuff I've done or know about (walls, boat trip and cable car) is there anything else I should be looking at? If not, that's fine - I'm only there for four days and if I do 'stuff' for two days and lounge by the pool and read for two days, I'd be quite happy.
    I won't have any transport of my own but if there was somewhere near Dubrovnik worth seeing that's doable with public transport, I'd consider that too.

p.s. I've never watched Game Of Thrones so have no interest in any connection to that (although I believe I have walked the 'Steps Of Shame')
    there is lots to see and do in the old town itself so apart from a trip to cavtat i wouldnt be rushing to pack the days with lots of travel to be honest,

beautiful place, we loved it so much we got married there and have been a dozen times i reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    We took a trip to Mostar which was very good .
    I know you’ve done the walls but we took a guide who knew a fair bit about the war so his insights were above the ordinary .
    A boat trip to Cavtat for the day is a perfect wind down and the waters are simply beautiful for swimming in .
    I could be tempted to join a tour of the old town with a guide as long as it isn't GoT-themed. I spotted a map of the old town showing buildings destroyed/damaged/unharmed during the war but walking round the old town now, apart from some bullet holes in walls, you wouldn't know where had been a war and so much damage so recently.

The only island we did was the one with all the bloody peacocks .
    That sounds more like something to avoid than a recommendation

Master
    Another recommendation for Cavtat from me. Was lucky enough to stay there a few years ago and it’s just lovely, a lot older than Dubrovnik too i think.

A boat trip to Cavtat for the day is a perfect wind down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    A trip to Cavtat is well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    ...apart from a trip to cavtat....
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Another recommendation for Cavtat from me. Was lucky enough to stay there a few years ago and it’s just lovely, a lot older than Dubrovnik too i think.
    OK! OK! I'm going to Cavtat.

OK! OK! I'm going to Cavtat.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Cavtat is a lovely place to visit, normally you mention it to people and they've never heard of it, seems on TZ nearly very flaming member has visited... :-)

We went last year

took a boat ride to the islands and went snorkeling in the caves

we stayed near uvala lapad beach - nice area with lots of restaurants and hotels bit tacky in places but very laid back

we went to split by ferry too and from there there seems to be more to do (lots of islands, trogir very old and quaint, plus the water falls of course)

Sounds interesting. Missus and I are off on a small cruise boat next week starting in Dubrovnik and going up to Split.
    At least there is some sunshine there.

Master
    The islands around Split are brilliant, you'll have a great time. If you plan to stop in Bol I recommend booking lunch or dinner at Ribarska Kucica. It is literally on the beach in a beautiful little bay (and is the opposite side of town from Zlatni Rat where the bulk of visitors head for).
    Last edited by Bondurant; 24th August 2023 at 17:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Sounds interesting. Missus and I are off on a small cruise boat next week starting in Dubrovnik and going up to Split.
    At least there is some sunshine there.
    We did that last year going Split to Split via Korcula, Hvar and Dubrovnik. Only 50 people on the boat and was excellent.

Having just returned,I’m not sure you need to take any boat trips if you only have 4 days ,having a good look around the old town will take 2 days ,and cable car and other areas to explore.
    What I will say is use Uber for taxis ,way cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Went a few years ago. Mostar was awesome, and even more interesting in contrast. The cable car was pretty dull, nice view but dull nonetheless. One of the more interesting things we did with an extra afternoon in the city was to take a taxi to an outlying neighborhood and rent a jetski. The view of the walled city from the water was truly impressive, and a swim in the islands just off the shore rather pleasant as well. But my favorite part of the trip was a side trip we took in a rental car, a drive up the Pelješac peninsula, and a quick ferry over to Korcula, which I now think may be one of the finest places on this planet.

Has anybody mentioned Cavtat yet?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Has anybody mentioned Cavtat yet?
    The direct translation for Cavtat in English is Slow Worm … true story!

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Having just returned,I’m not sure you need to take any boat trips if you only have 4 days ,having a good look around the old town will take 2 days ,and cable car and other areas to explore.
    What I will say is use Uber for taxis ,way cheaper.
    I had a good couple of days (at least three half days) in the old town dodging the weather when there in May.

I'm with you on Ubers though. I'll use a transfer sorted by the apartment on arrival - mainly because I'm arriving early and if I do it through then it will smooth check in at the accommodation, leaving luggage etc. I've worked out it's going to cost me a little less than 10euro extra vs Uber but reckon it's worth it for the convenience. After that it will be Uber or walk everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Went a few years ago... The cable car was pretty dull, nice view but dull nonetheless.
    I'm kind of doing the cable car because it's there. I'll be on my own so prefer to be doing something rather than sitting and looking at a view. I might combine it with a walk once I'm up there or possibly a run, maybe even getting it one way and walking/running down. I did the same earlier in the year when I went to Bergen, went up the Flřibanen funicular railway, looked at the view, took a photo of the view and then went for a walk around the interesting trails at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The direct translation for Cavtat in English is Slow Worm … true story!
    If only that were true... but as we all know the Balkan slow worm is known locally as a sljepić.

Master
    I had a good couple of days (at least three half days) in the old town dodging the weather when there in May.

I'm with you on Ubers though. I'll use a transfer sorted by the apartment on arrival - mainly because I'm arriving early and if I do it through then it will smooth check in at the accommodation, leaving luggage etc. I've worked out it's going to cost me a little less than 10euro extra vs Uber but reckon it's worth it for the convenience. After that it will be Uber or walk everywhere.

I'm kind of doing the cable car because it's there. I'll be on my own so prefer to be doing something rather than sitting and looking at a view. I might combine it with a walk once I'm up there or possibly a run, maybe even getting it one way and walking/running down. I did the same earlier in the year when I went to Bergen, went up the Flřibanen funicular railway, looked at the view, took a photo of the view and then went for a walk around the interesting trails at the top.

If only that were true... but as we all know the Balkan slow worm is known locally as a sljepić.
    i believe there is a new high wire cycle in dubrovnik as well might be worth checking out.

https://www.outdoor-dubrovnik.com/acitivities/sky-bike/

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    i believe there is a new high wire cycle in dubrovnik as well might be worth checking out.
    https://www.outdoor-dubrovnik.com/acitivities/sky-bike/
    Ooh, that looks like fun. I've seen a similar one in Sweden before but it had a lower weight limit so I couldn't go on it.

Master
    Lokrum (the Island with bloody peacocs) is must see.

Supposed to be flying Sunday morning... Felt a bit ill yesterday, felt worse today... Positive Covid test!

All covered by travel insurance but I won't get another 'slot' this year so will carry all the above info over to a visit late spring next year.