closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GCSE Results Day

GCSE Results Day

Anyone else going through the joys of this today? My eldest was up all night worrying but has, thankfully, smashed them. Now the joys of accepting the sixth form place. Despite staying at the same school she still has to a complete the acceptance online by the end of the day, using the same site that most other schools in the country use which has been pretty much down for four hours. Not sure what was wrong with the pre-internet routine of turning up with your results in person and signing up.

Got the photo of the boy's results abut an hour ago. All his/our hard work paid off and he's done brilliantly.

Has to be said, it nearly put us all into an early grave just for a list of numbers on a print out.

His original choice of 6th form, the one right next to our house, dropped music A-level due to lack of teachers, so now he's currently at his last-minute choice 6th form doing a music audition. He's not quite over the hurdle yet.

My lad just got his.
    He's done very well, perhaps one or two grades below what he really hoped to get, but well nonetheless.
    Good on him.
    D

My daughter got hers this morning, she's happy with them (as am I, she has done well). Would have liked to have got a grade better in a couple, but overall very pleased.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    My daughters just got ‘her’ results and had to call me from Tenerife- over half of her kids on a 7 or above so she’s made up
    She’s a maths teacher

Would the one or two grades better have made a difference to where they want to go or what they want to do? If not, then so what? The pressure placed on kids is obscene so well done to all of them, and be happy they can put it behind them

Personally, we're just relieved he didn't top himself with the stress. The system is completely stacked against students with any disability and the final two years at his school were a living hell to such an extent we had to file an official complaint against them for disability discrimination. We're still waiting for the result of the Board of Governors' investigation.

Anyway, rant over. He got into the college and is looking forward to September. Here's to the future

My lad got his today and he did ok, he got what he needed to get into 6th form and passed maths and English which was the main thing, he’s happy so we are happy.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    My son got his today, he's done excellently, although he's a bit disappointed not to get 9's in a couple, thinks he's been hit by the harsher grading this year. Doesn't matter he's done extremely well 👍

My youngest got hers today also. Absolutely chuffed for her and pleased for me at least, being the last of 3. End of an era.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Our lad got what he wanted and his 6th form place is secure.
    We have questioned one of his results though, was on for a 9 and came away with a 5. He couldn't care less but better half is on the case.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    My daughter is a teacher here in South Wales and said the results for her subject (history) were almost exactly what she expected. The kids that put in the work got the results that they deserved and the kids that hadn't bothered also got what they deserved. One or two did a little better than expected but by and large it all went to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    My daughter is a teacher here in South Wales and said the results for her subject (history) were almost exactly what she expected. The kids that put in the work got the results that they deserved and the kids that hadn't bothered also got what they deserved. One or two did a little better than expected but by and large it all went to plan.
    Almost word for word what my sister in law teacher said.
    One good thing about the results day that has arisen, although my lad got what he needed for 6th form and passed English and maths, he has had a realisation moment that if he didn’t get in he would be buggered with no plan B, one of his good friends didn’t do well enough and is in a bit of a state, a good few of his peers didn’t pass maths and English either, I think he now sees clearly what the consequences of not trying hard enough and taking it seriously can do and is now already planning his A level studies.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Our Dutch system is different but one thing is the same: ‘who works for it will be rewarded’

Congrats to all!

To add a different perspective, my eldest son - now 22 - was incredibly lazy during the run-up to his GCSE’s and complained all the time about the poor teaching standards, hardly ever completed his homework and came across as completely disinterested. At the final parents day before the exams a couple of teachers admitted to my surprise that they suspected he might pull off a surprise result - and he came away with a fairly spectacular number of A stars - 9 if I remember correctly plus a couple of A’s. His response? The exams were easy, he’d ignored the loud classrooms and useless teachers - his words - and done lots of reading and studying in his own time when I thought he was on his X box! We were very happy for him but quite irritated by the smug little git tbh!