closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I sh*t myself

I sh*t myself

Hello all

In 2017/18 I bought a brand new Speedy Pro for 3400. I then flogged it a little further down the line. Having got bored with the whole watch scene I backed away from it and kinda lost track of where things were going, price wise.

So today I'm thinking, ah, maybe Ill buy another speedy.

6400 !!! Lol. I like em, but not 6.4k like em

WTF

Guess I will be speedy-less for a while longer !

I presume everything has gone up ?

Bones

Prices of a lot of stuff has gone mental Karl. Pleased to see you back 👍🏻

I posted a similar thought Carl. It's madness. Sure there have been some improvements on the bracelet and changes to the dial etc. but I agree a Speedy is not a £6.5K watch. Of course in fact, it sadly is...

Mind you, you just have to wander round the supermarket at the moment to be shocked by price rises in every aisle.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I remember when they were £1500 new and second hand price was £500.

I was buying MKII's for £200-£300 so obviously what people pay for stuff now is beyond my ken.

Luckily I still have a lot of the stuff I bought then.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Bought a double sapphire for £2100 on alligator strap about 10 years ago. Now on a bracelet they are about £7.5k. Another price rise 1st Sept and 1st quarter 2024 are rumoured. Was tempted by a FOIS about 3 years ago in the sales for £3.5k.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    The Speedy was my favourite Omega for years. I bought mine (3570) for £1100 second-hand in 2015.
    I don't think I'd bother now (or any Omegas) - not with their service centre issues

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I remember when they were £1500 new and second hand price was £500.

I was buying MKII's for £200-£300 so obviously what people pay for stuff now is beyond my ken.

Luckily I still have a lot of the stuff I bought then.
    I bought my first from you 20 years ago for £900 Neil, my second from the States for $1000 when the exchange rate was $2 to the £ . 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Yeah it’s quite a increase in price for sure, the new one has a few changes new movement and dial and bracelet but definitely not worth the extra buck

I do like the new bracelet though and added one for my previous generation speedmaster which at the time I purchased was £3200 with a 20% discount on retail price which is I think now is impossible to get a discount

The speedy isnt even a 3k watch never mind a 6k one but as the former CEO of IWC pointed out, this is an industry where you can pretty much put whatever price you want, it has nothing to do with materials or anything else the goal is to make the most profit with the least effort.

There are still plenty of watches out there for reasonable money if someone wanted an "Iconic" watch, Hamilton for example with their reissue chronograph, Siduna, Hanhart (THere is one on SC right now for a grand) People will pay the 6k though because for many people it will be a one off special watch not one of a larger collection and probably something they will never sell.

Craftsman

I sh*t myself

Similar story for me. I had an 1861 but found it a little bulky so it got sold. When I saw the updates on the 3861 I was really keen to try one but couldn’t stomach the hike in price. I hunted about for a good used model and found a 6 month old hesalite for £4500. Still a lot of money, I know, but it seems better value than the £6400 for a new one. For what it’s worth to the op, the slight changes have made a big impact in how it looks and feels on the wrist and mine won’t be going anywhere soon. Well, until they increase the WR to 100m anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not only has the price skyrocketed, but the accoutrements (loupe, straps x 2, paperweight) have disappeared. A case of take and take.

I bought a full size Tudor Sub from the US for $1300 back in 2006. I thought I was smart when I sold it for $2500. Haha.

My 16710 full set was €4500 or €4800 from this forum. Back in 2008 I believe.

Central bank monopoly money changed everything.

To be fair, you’d pick one up like new for closer than your last purchase price than the current RRP
    It's just a matter of time...

Perhaps you could have a whip-round from the team at GGB HQ?

https://www.gasgasbones.com/meet-the-ggb-team

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    Hello all

In 2017/18 I bought a brand new Speedy Pro for 3400. I then flogged it a little further down the line. Having got bored with the whole watch scene I backed away from it and kinda lost track of where things were going, price wise.

So today I'm thinking, ah, maybe Ill buy another speedy.

6400 !!! Lol. I like em, but not 6.4k like em

WTF

Guess I will be speedy-less for a while longer !

I presume everything has gone up ?
    I've just seen a mint 2021 Hessalite Speedy sell from a UK retailer at £3999, so not that big of an increase from paying £3400 for the same watch 5 years ago. If you want to buy another, there are plenty out there.

The new Co-ax Speedy is exactly that. New bracelet, new movement, new dial, new packaging, new price. It's a different watch with the same name and look as the old. Buy whichever you prefer.

I've bought both in the past and think the new Sapphire sandwich purchased at a used price is still a good buy, compared with anything else on the market today. I can't think of another Chrono from a big Swiss brand that has such a beautifully finished movement, perfect proportions, great looking dial and quality bracelet for less than £6k.

I majorly regret sending mine back (Sapphire sandwich - bought Jan with 15% of RRP before the recent RRP increase), as I felt it wore big but also not a great fit on the bracelet.

Now the best I can see new is either 12% off the £7,400 or £3,500 plus my Monaco.

Still debating whether to go back and try the Speedy again.

Cheers fellas

As others have said, I also think its wise to look for a good used example.

I better start saving !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Perhaps you could have a whip-round from the team at GGB HQ?

https://www.gasgasbones.com/meet-the-ggb-team

Bunch of good for nothings

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I bought my first from you 20 years ago for £900 Neil, my second from the States for $1000 when the exchange rate was $2 to the £ . 
    I remember that Jason. A very nice older one.

When the exchange rate was $2 to the £ it was a happy hunting ground for us watch enthusiasts. In fact I built up a lot of my collection then.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I remember that Jason. A very nice older one.

When the exchange rate was $2 to the £ it was a happy hunting ground for us watch enthusiasts. In fact I built up a lot of my collection then.
    Certainly was, on both points.
    Cheers..
    Jase