closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A-Level results day

Master

A-Level results day

Anyone else have offspring awaiting their results today?

Our eldest is one of this year's cohort.

And here I am, awake at 5:25 in the morning nervously awaiting the results. Sod's Law he'll probably sleep in and keep us waiting.

Anyway, good luck to those in the same position today.

HP

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

T Level here. Heading to the college for 9am.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Scotland results day was last week and I know what you're living through. Our son was happy with his results, and if he's happy we're happy. Just remember school qualifications are not the be all and end all, and bear surprisingly little correlation to a successful career.
    All the best for the big reveal.

Why be nervous, with the help of the internet most of these kids are getting very good results these days

Best of luck to all

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

The annual circus.

Craftsman
    V.proud (and soon to be poorer) Dad here.. youngest daughter got A*,A,B to get into first choice Sheffield English Lit. Worked immensely hard for that.
    (Other two daughters already doing year 2 and 4 Psych at Loughborough).

Hello

I feel your pain, woke up early along with my daughter. Thankfully she did better than she thought she had and got her first choice.

My best wishes to all those getting their results today and the parents willing them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    T Level here. Heading to the college for 9am.
    She landed a Distinction which she had worked hard for. Norland place confirmed, so happy days.

A A B and A in EPQ, so accepted by his first choice university, Southampton to read aeronautical engineering. We are very proud parents. He is the last of the six, so the nest will be empty in four weeks time

Master
    Thankfully we’ve got until next year to wait for my daughter, although she will already know most grades prior to results day as she’s gone down the BTEC route.
    I still remember that feeling collecting mine all those years ago.

Good luck to those who have young people who have got what they want.
    And for those who haven’t don’t panic there’s lots of options via clearing and also taking a gap year

Master
    Not A level, but equivalent. My daughter got an A in her Level 3 criminology 1st year exam with a score of 100 out of 100. After two A*s in her two A level mocks, I’m hoping for great things next year. Proud as punch.

Master
    Well done all.

To bookend this as OP, we're delighted that our eldest has had his place confirmed to study jazz at the RWCMD in Cardiff.

A-Level results day

My youngest niece missed out on her first choice of university by one grade in one exam.

She is going to take a year out and resit that exam next year.

To the family, we consider it an incredible achievement considering her ongoing battle with anorexia.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 17th August 2023 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My youngest niece missed out on her first choice of university by one grade in one exam.

To the family, we consider it an incredible achievement considering her ongoing battle with anorexia.
    Will that necessarily work - does she know the offer will be the same next year?

Reportedly higher bar this year for results - but my immediate reaction would be: "seize the day - go for 2nd choice University"

She sounds like she is in a good place now - build on that now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Reportedly higher bar this year for results - but my immediate reaction would be: "seize the day - go for 2nd choice University"

She sounds like she is in a good place now - build on that now.
    Not really in a much better place but definitely improving. A year out is definitely the better choice IMHO, she will hopefully be in a much better place by then and a year without the relentless pressures of academia will hopefully do wonders for her mental health.

Not really in a much better place but definitely improving. A year out is definitely the better choice IMHO, she will hopefully be in a much better place by then and a year without the relentless pressures of academia will hopefully do wonders for her mental health.
    I'm sure that they have considered other options - university isn't always the best path but often youngsters feel pressured to go with what their peers are doing. I'm a huge fan of apprenticeships which often have strong wellbeing support and less studying in isolation. I took a year out after A Levels to travel, with the vague intention of going on to university on return, however a small ad in the local paper changed all that forever and it worked out rather well. I hope that she enjoys her year.

A few years ago my son couldn't take his first choice uni as a result of missing one grade in Physics. Took a year out worked in a local upmarket restaurant, learnt many skills and was knowledgeable on wine, spirits and coffee, also teamwork, function of business - boosted his confidence no end.

He got his grade and went to his first choice the following year, now a senior aerospace engineer. Tell her not to see the year as wasted but an opportunity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Well done all.

To bookend this as OP, we're delighted that our eldest has had his place confirmed to study jazz at the RWCMD in Cardiff.

Congratulations. Jazz is a fine subject to study. Is he an instrumentalist?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    A few years ago my son couldn't take his first choice uni as a result of missing one grade in Physics. Took a year out worked in a local upmarket restaurant, learnt many skills and was knowledgeable on wine, spirits and coffee, also teamwork, function of business - boosted his confidence no end.

He got his grade and went to his first choice the following year, now a senior aerospace engineer. Tell her not to see the year as wasted but an opportunity.
    My two older daughters did similar.. one took a year out to bump up a grade to get her first choice, and the other just took a traditional gap year off to go travelling and get a McD job - she matured a lot, got over many anxiety issues and became an adult before heading off. The third is just going straight to Uni. They're all different at that age of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    My two older daughters did similar.. one took a year out to bump up a grade to get her first choice, and the other just took a traditional gap year off to go travelling and get a McD job - she matured a lot, got over many anxiety issues and became an adult before heading off. The third is just going straight to Uni. They're all different at that age of course.
    Predominantly an instrumentalist (sax, clarinet, guitar, piano and percussion) but also voice.

No idea where he gets it from...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Predominantly an instrumentalist (sax, clarinet, guitar, piano and percussion) but also voice.

No idea where he gets it from...

Wonderful, a multi-instrumentalist and singer. My sister studied drama at RWCMD. She loved it there. Good luck on his studies!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    Wonderful, a multi-instrumentalist and singer. My sister studied drama at RWCMD. She loved it there. Good luck on his studies!
    To be fair he cannot wait. He has wanted to go there since the age of 11. We've a photo of him outside the main building on a visit all those years ago.

I've heard of so many that have enjoyed their time there.

Only 3 weeks until we drop him off. I must admit to feeling a little anxious but he's ready to go. And we're only 90 minutes away.