closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Central London - Am I Being Daft?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Does anyone with an IQ over 40 or so seriously doubt this?
    We’re you a Londoner under Boris? Or Ken ( both before and after) or Sadiq?

My travel watch. If I lose it by any means, it'll be dry eyes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Does anyone with an IQ over 40 or so seriously doubt this?
    How would you know?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

After a night out in London last night wearing a t shirt and nice watch, I can happily say I escaped unscathed, no one threatened me, I did not feel unsafe, and I was not stabbed or mugged.
    I realise a sample of one is not conclusive, but I think I might try it again next Saturday to see how I get on. I will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by hopak View Post
    "Where Do You Go To My Lovely"
    Peter Sarstedt 1969
    Dueted with John Otway in a resounding rendition of "Really Free" in the Robert Browning Maida Vale.
    Ah, the year I passed my driving test.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Hmmm, London not white gammon enough for you? Sorry to hear that.

Thoughts and prayers, as ever.
    Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Londonistan?

White gammon?

who makes this stuff up?

back on topic, I don't and wouldn't have a problem with wearing a nice watch in London or any other city for that matter but would never flaunt it. There's something to be said for not wearing a Rolex though as rightly or wrongly, they're fast becoming (or have become) a black market commodity and given that there are plenty of people willing to buy and are quite happy wearing a fake Rolex, I'm sure that there will be plenty of people willing to buy a stolen one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaguppy View Post
    My last trip with the mrs to london in 2020 ended up with a 14 month wait to see if I was getting charged with GBH after some lowlife attempted to steal my trainers off my feet in broad daylight, after saying he had a knife my reaction got me arrested and held in a cell 14 hours then had to wait and not work my job as head of security for a big club for a year.

In the End case dropped and I went back to work, he got his jaw wired back and his hand out it’s cast and we never went to London again the end 

Police advice was to try not to draw attention……
    Clearly the lowlife was not good at reading strangers!
    All I can say after reading your post is:-
    Last edited by KavKav; 21st August 2023 at 08:59.

Master
    Stealing trainers off someone’s feet in broad daylight, I think that’s the first time I’m hearing something like this!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaguppy View Post
    My last trip with the mrs to london in 2020 ended up with a 14 month wait to see if I was getting charged with GBH after some lowlife attempted to steal my trainers off my feet in broad daylight, after saying he had a knife my reaction got me arrested and held in a cell 14 hours then had to wait and not work my job as head of security for a big club for a year.

In the End case dropped and I went back to work, he got his jaw wired back and his hand out it’s cast and we never went to London again the end 🙄

Police advice was to try not to draw attention……

Grand Master
    A friend was mugged in Bradford last week,4 non English lads surrounded him and took his money.
    Can happen anywhere,just be aware and also make youself less of a target!.So do whatever will make you not stand out to be the next victim.......do that.

Most of the crimes anywhere in the world are committed by non English lads. Let that sink in!

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    A friend was mugged in Bradford last week,4 non English lads surrounded him and took his money.
    Can happen anywhere,just be aware and also make youself less of a target!.So do whatever will make you not stand out to be the next victim.......do that.
    Thank you for clarifying they weren’t English.

Did they show their passports before robbing him?

They may have snug over the border from Wales or Scotland.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Most of the crimes anywhere in the world are committed by non English lads. Let that sink in!
    I hate the Scots and the Welsh too.
    Thugs. All of them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thank you for clarifying they weren’t English.

Did they show their passports before robbing him?
    The reason I said not English was because 2 of the 4 were caught.Both Eastern Europeans as were the others.My Friend was questioned at home the next day,the 2 thugs were released after questioning,my friend didnt get his money back.

Happened in Centenary square.

Your welcome wileeeeeey.......wasnt a racist remark but what was known.There will be scroats of all nationalities in every corner of the world.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 21st August 2023 at 16:20.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pandaballs View Post
    I hate the Scots and the Welsh too.
    Thugs. All of them.
    Oh deary me what a racist comment to make!!!!.

Oh hang on......I can plainly see its a tongue in cheek comment.....good job as some on here might assume your a racist.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    How correct you could be be Raffe....

Central London - Am I Being Daft?

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    The reason I said not English was because 2 of the 4 were caught.Both Eastern Europeans as were the others.My Friend was questioned at home the next day,the 2 thugs were released after questioning,my friend didnt get his money back.

Happened in Centenary square.

Your welcome wileeeeeey.......wasnt a racist remark but what was known.There will be scroats of all nationalities in every corner of the world.
    Next time be sure to add their hair colour, shoe size and what their pronouns are.

Adds so much to the story.

Master
    Two guys tried mugging me in a door way on the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Courts road whilst I was eating some fish and chips on a night out after lots of beers. London can get quite grubby in the later hours. Wrong place at the wrong time. If you happen to be walking around with 8k strapped to your wrist then I reckon you might up the odds. Treading carefully with where you go makes sense. The old bollocks about being a big bloke doesn’t really make any difference imho. If somebody wants something they will take it with or without a fight especially if there is 2 or more of them. I can’t imagine that any 6ft+ men on here can remember the last time that they had a fight against 2 or more men and won.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Two guys tried mugging me in a door way on the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Courts road whilst I was eating some fish and chips on a night out after lots of beers. London can get quite grubby in the later hours. Wrong place at the wrong time. If you happen to be walking around with 8k strapped to your wrist then I reckon you might up the odds. Treading carefully with where you go makes sense. The old bollocks about being a big bloke doesn’t really make any difference imho. If somebody wants something they will take it with or without a fight especially if there is 2 or more of them. I can’t imagine that any 6ft+ men on here can remember the last time that they had a fight against 2 or more men and won.
    Even Jack Reacher doesn’t wear a Rolex!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Even Jack Reacher doesn’t wear a Rolex!
    But he (like my microwave) has an inbuilt, unstealable clock...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hopak View Post
    I stood next to Peter Sarstedt in a urinal in Maida Vale.
    Can't remember if he was wearing a watch or not :)
    no he wouldnt have been because they had both thrown off their lowly born Tags......

Sorry !

B

I'll apologise now about the age and the crappy resolution, but this is worth a watch:

https://youtu.be/gQYEaeQAyIM?si=efaBqVzhndEiuEyI

I don't own a Rolex or Omega etc, but regardless my go to in any city is a reasonably cheap Casio.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    I'll apologise now about the age and the crappy resolution, but this is worth a watch:

https://youtu.be/gQYEaeQAyIM?si=efaBqVzhndEiuEyI

I don't own a Rolex or Omega etc, but regardless my go to in any city is a reasonably cheap Casio.

^^^^^^^

Interesting Video - good post.

+1

Just back from London yesterday to sunny old Belfast. Done QPR game on Saturday, and then Camden market on the Monday. Travelled by train and tube from St.Albans. Seen loads of high end watch wearers. Mainly black Submariners, but also Omega, Breiting and Tag. I think I also spotted an AP.

I was surprised how many good watches I seen regardless of location, all seemed calm and 'normal'. Although all my excursions were in daylight, and perhaps these areas are OK. I was wearing my Garmin Fenix. However, my daughter did advise us to watch our phones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Just back from London yesterday to sunny old Belfast.

However, my daughter did advise us to watch our phones though.
    Another thing to leave at home

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Stealing trainers off someone’s feet in broad daylight, I think that’s the first time I’m hearing something like this!
    What an extraordinary thing to even attempt...the mind boggles...

aren't phones the no.1 most robbed item by far nowadays...

Master
    I work in London, walk around in public and have never once considered "will I be mugged" when choosing a watch. Sure, if you're going for a messy night out then it makes sense to wear something cheap as you might lose it/drop it/end up in a dive somewhere horrible. And I probably wouldn't wear T-shirt/shorts & a Richard Mille as a combo as (a) RM watches are some of the most horrible things I've ever seen (b) it would act like a beacon to any taste-free crims.

I've made it to 58 without being mugged and I've been wearing decent watches for a long time. Perhaps the danger is a tad overstated.

You wouldn't enjoy wearing the sub so what's the point?

Personally I wouldn't give it a second thought (lived/worked in London for over 25yrs) but YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Master
    Is wearing an Apple ultra with a dead battery the same as Harpo removing the hands to stop his watch being stolen !

So it seems the majority people people who live / work in London don’t see it as problem but those that don’t think it’s a massive issue
    Hmmmmm…..

Master
    This is purely a personal decision for you to make and for me its like anything - if your in the wrong place at the wrong time etc.... Ifs buts and maybes

Ive lived and worked in London for years (oxford street) and worn my watches on rotation and see lots of nice pieces daily on display and I dont give it too much thought, I dont openly flash off my watch nor do I wear it so that I get comments on it nor do I get myself into a state and walk down dark alleys late at night as an example -

Its no different too expensive cars etc and you get to a point where its not worth having any of it if you are going to live in fear of what might be and therefore enjoy it

Commom sense is king but ultimately if your not comfortable dont wear it

Sad times we live in but its the same everywhere you go thieves will always target the easy pickings
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 24th August 2023 at 15:08.

Master

Central London - Am I Being Daft?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    So it seems the majority people people who live / work in London don’t see it as problem but those that don’t think it’s a massive issue
    Hmmmmm…..
    If someone wants to try take my watch off me they are welcome. A few years ago I’d have paid them to try, split the purse and sell the tickets.

Worst case, it’s a watch, buy another.

Some kids tried to mug me four years ago, aside from catching TB off one of them, I’m comfortable with the outcome.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 24th August 2023 at 17:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Hmmmmm…..
    It's exactly the same as the EV thread - those with direct experience have one view, those without have a distinctly different one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    It's exactly the same as the EV thread - those with direct experience have one view, those without have a distinctly different one.
    Would you care to weight which opinion should matter?

erm i live/work in london and these days dont much like having a 10k watch on view.

take a look at this for example. chiswick high street (hardly a 'shady area' for anyone who knows it) in broad daylight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66604588

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Would you care to weight which opinion should matter?
    You're not suggesting direct empirical evidence should make a difference surely?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    If someone wants to try take my watch off me they are welcome. A few years ago I’d have paid them to try, split the purse and sell the tickets.

Worst case, it’s a watch, buy another.

Some kids tried to mug me four years ago, aside from catching TB off one of them, I’m comfortable with the outcome.
    Having met you I can believe that...

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Well I put on my kevlar vest today, had my sniper support stealthily covering me on the rooftops of Kensington High Street, all after brushing up on my Krav Maga lst night. I was also wearing a luxury watch, plainly on view as I had a short sleeved shirt on. I'm glad to say all passed without incident and I survived unscathed. That's now over 8000 days in a row in London. Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    erm i live/work in london and these days dont much like having a 10k watch on view.

take a look at this for example. chiswick high street (hardly a 'shady area' for anyone who knows it) in broad daylight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66604588
    For clarity this is my local high street.
    This is an outlier, it’s not a common occurrence. (I have never heard of another similar incident there)
    People should wear what they feel comfortable with in the environment they find themselves in, there is no right or wrong. But I do feel you could be a victim anywhere if you are unlucky enough.

Edit:
    As a complete coincidence I have just had a conversation with my sister who mentioned she is no longer comfortable wearing her 2 tone Date Just due to the crime shown on social media. She lives in London, has never been subjected to crime, witnessed watch crime or knows anyone who has been subjected to watch crime but the all pervasive social media seems to be one of the sources of the concern being felt.
    I have said it’s probably for the best as it makes her look like a 2nd hand car salesman….
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th August 2023 at 20:29.

^ that's probably the ultimate deterrent, good work

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    This is purely a personal decision for you to make and for me its like anything - if your in the wrong place at the wrong time etc.... Ifs buts and maybes

Ive lived and worked in London for years (oxford street) and worn my watches on rotation and see lots of nice pieces daily on display and I dont give it too much thought, I dont openly flash off my watch nor do I wear it so that I get comments on it nor do I get myself into a state and walk down dark alleys late at night as an example -

Its no different too expensive cars etc and you get to a point where its not worth having any of it if you are going to live in fear of what might be and therefore enjoy it

Commom sense is king but ultimately if your not comfortable dont wear it

Sad times we live in but its the same everywhere you go thieves will always target the easy pickings
    A friend had a Milgauss nearly ripped off his wrist on leaving a pub in the City. Had some tasty bruises to show for it.

He now wears a fake (£500 I think) one. Keeps excellent time.

Says he’ll just hand it straight over next time.

Another mate got jumped leaving the train at Clapham South. Three guys smashed him into a wall and had his watch, phone and nearly his backpack with laptop in it but they couldn’t get straps off. He has done boxing for 20+ years, as he says no use if you are sliding down a wall with three guys hanging off you. Five or six stitches in his head.

Police were called but not much happened. Think they targeted him as he has a limp from a motorbike accident when he was 22.

I can think of others: friend punched in her face for a mobile on Acre Lane. Another had her laptop stolen inside a cafe in Highgate. Guy just walked in grabbed it and jumped on a scooter. Gone before anyone could react.

I haven’t been back to UK since 2019.

Will need to recalibrate if we pop back this year as I’m happy to leave laptop, phone etc on cafe table (in or outside) when popping for a wee or to order.

I have a new Yamaha 255 and I have never bought a chain and lock for any of my bikes. Wife leaves key in her Honda Scoopy when at shops, as do many people. Helmet goes on wing mirror. Neighbour has a push bike that cost more than my Yamaha and will leave it outside shops, he doesn't own a lock either.

Keys get left in car a lot of the time, unless we are travelling with luggage inside.

Big pile of bike keys, phones, sunglasses at gym.

The only watch I wear anymore is the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo - it has ruined my watch hobby entirely. Every day, never even think about it.

We have police that park up at intersection near us at various times of the day. My 5 year old loves to sit in the car.

Police posts in either direction. Small with maybe 4 or 5 Police working in them. We also have local security on call funded by the ‘village’. Plus you will see armed police at various places - never the same location each day.

Some issues in tourist areas but a lot get hunted down (not bright guys on the whole) and will do serious prison time. I think its three years for phone or similar, use violence and it’s seven. No remission: you do the full sentence.

Also, people do not like thieves so if members of public catch you (and they will try if a bag snatch type of event) you will get restrained and possibly the crap kicked out of you.

As an immigrant if I am seriously out of order or commit crime - i’m deported. No appeal. Done.

200+ Russians been sent home this year so far.

As I say we will need to think about how we behave when back in UK next.

Been back up in London a few times recently. Guy on the tube opposite me had a very visible Patek Nautilus on which I thought was brave albeit on a sunny Sunday afternoon around Covent Garden - target rich / safety in numbers, take your pick.

Plenty of Subs in rush hour around Liverpool Street but not sure I’d wear anything obvious later in the evening.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    Been back up in London a few times recently. Guy on the tube opposite me had a very visible Patek Nautilus on which I thought was brave albeit on a sunny Sunday afternoon around Covent Garden - target rich / safety in numbers, take your pick.
    It might well not have been a real one which I suppose is a consideration for potential thieves as well, when they're weighing up the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post
    A friend had a Milgauss nearly ripped off his wrist on leaving a pub in the City. Had some tasty bruises to show for it.

Another mate got jumped leaving the train at Clapham South. Three guys smashed him into a wall and had his watch, phone and nearly his backpack with laptop in it but they couldn’t get straps off. He has done boxing for 20+ years, as he says no use if you are sliding down a wall with three guys hanging off you. Five or six stitches in his head.

Police were called but not much happened. Think they targeted him as he has a limp from a motorbike accident when he was 22.

I can think of others: friend punched in her face for a mobile on Acre Lane. Another had her laptop stolen inside a cafe in Highgate. Guy just walked in grabbed it and jumped on a scooter. Gone before anyone could react.

Will need to recalibrate if we pop back this year as I’m happy to leave laptop, phone etc on cafe table (in or outside) when popping for a wee or to order.

I have a new Yamaha 255 and I have never bought a chain and lock for any of my bikes. Wife leaves key in her Honda Scoopy when at shops, as do many people. Helmet goes on wing mirror. Neighbour has a push bike that cost more than my Yamaha and will leave it outside shops, he doesn't own a lock either.

Keys get left in car a lot of the time, unless we are travelling with luggage inside.

The only watch I wear anymore is the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo - it has ruined my watch hobby entirely. Every day, never even think about it.

We have police that park up at intersection near us at various times of the day. My 5 year old loves to sit in the car.

Police posts in either direction. Small with maybe 4 or 5 Police working in them. We also have local security on call funded by the ‘village’. Plus you will see armed police at various places - never the same location each day.

Some issues in tourist areas but a lot get hunted down (not bright guys on the whole) and will do serious prison time. I think its three years for phone or similar, use violence and it’s seven. No remission: you do the full sentence.

Also, people do not like thieves so if members of public catch you (and they will try if a bag snatch type of event) you will get restrained and possibly the crap kicked out of you.

As an immigrant if I am seriously out of order or commit crime - i’m deported. No appeal. Done.

How do they look upon tax evasion where you live? Asking for a friend.

Master

tl;dr

London's awful, overseas is better

Where is it that you live?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...96#post5952796

Much safer where he lives, assuming you are ok with being raped with impunity by police officers or having your teenage Christian daughters beheaded by Jihadists. Absolutely fine to wear your Rolex to Starbucks though.

Master
    Sorry to heart of your experiences but its not been my findings having lived and worked in the city for many years, I did say ultimately its a personal choice and I alluded to the fact that you will get theft in any city in any country and if anyone ever came for mine im 6'4 19 stone but Id just hand it over thats what insurance is for but for me its a case of why have theese things if you cant enjoy them but its a personal choice

London is a vibrant city I often look at peoples cars, shoes and clothing just as much as I do a nice watch in the city and people arent shy in showing them off

Master
    According to the International Crime Index, mid-2023, Indonesia and the UK score almost exactly the same.