closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Central London - Am I Being Daft?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    I read the statement as a double negative.

Not a day goes by.... = at the end of every day.
    ... that a colleague is not mugged on the way to or from work = a colleague is not mugged.

Unless I am not mistaken.
    Correct

I was a victim of robbery in Southwest London yesterday. £3.95 for 6 eggs in Waitrose

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I was a victim of robbery in Southwest London yesterday. £3.95 for 6 eggs in Waitrose
    Oeuf!

It’s a cracker.

(Frank Carson for you young’uns.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    I read the statement as a double negative.

Not a day goes by.... = at the end of every day.
    ... that a colleague is not mugged on the way to or from work = a colleague is not mugged.

Unless I am not mistaken.
    Good point. I assume you're having some double-negative fun with your final sentence - which should be either: "If I'm not mistaken" or "Unless I'm mistaken".

I am trying.

(very trying according to MrsR.)

Master
    I had a very nice young (well, early 30s I suppose) woman ask me about my Seamaster Chronostop today when on the train. First time in decades that anyone has commented on any of my watches. I mean, the horror of it. Although her actual words were "that's lovely, what is it?" behind her her seemingly innocent question I know that what she really meant was "home invasion coming your way, sucker."

Security at the house will now be doubled, I'm going to buy lots of tactical gear (not sure why, but it sounds tough), I'm brushing up on my Krav Maga moves and I've called my mate David Elta-Squad to get a security detail together.

That's London for you. Makes 'Nam seem like a pleasure cruise.

(Alternatively: a stranger noticed my watch, we exchanged pleasantries, we went our separate ways. I'm not dead.)

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I had a very nice young (well, early 30s I suppose) woman ask me about my Seamaster
    Don't worry the whole conversation was caught on camera.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Don't worry the whole conversation was caught on camera.

You've caught the essence of it, though the train was a packed one heading from Surbiton to Waterloo, we were standing up holding on to the pole in the centre, I was in sweaty cycling gear and the woman in question, though cute, couldn't really be described as a stand-in for the delectable Eva.

But there was an Omega, ironically enough my 145.007.

You've caught the essence of it ...
    Any hint of an Eastern European accent? Does she have a hot friend? They may also frequent golf club car parks.

I'm assuming you cycle to the station (not as fun in a long black coat I imagine), unless your ploy is to use the sweaty gear to get a seat.

Anyway, glad you survived. But, yes, keep your eyes peeled in future, they will be watching you.

Master
    Can happen anywhere to anyone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66710325

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Can happen anywhere to anyone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66710325

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I guarantee you nobody will be running off with my £250k watch.

Because I don't have one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Any hint of an Eastern European accent? Does she have a hot friend? They may also frequent golf club car parks.

I'm assuming you cycle to the station (not as fun in a long black coat I imagine), unless your ploy is to use the sweaty gear to get a seat.

Anyway, glad you survived. But, yes, keep your eyes peeled in future, they will be watching you.
    Tuesday update: I made contact on today's train with Agent Dexter, who was heavily disguised as a labradoodle and communicated by licking my leg and sniffing my cycling shoes. Using pre-agreed dog-snuffle code, he reported that the threat level remained high but imminent attacks upon me were unlikely. And that he wouldn't mind a dog treat.

Watch today was chosen for tradecraft and agent identification purposes, but did get Dexter quite excited.

[IMG][/IMG]

Journeyman
    Firstly the crimes aren't the same - human trafficking and having your head sawed off by a deluded zealot isn't the same as having your bike nicked. Secondly it is all cobblers anyway

https://ocindex.net/country/indonesia/united_kingdom
    Very well put!

Sitting enjoying a beer on the beach in Southern Italy , I started to browse the BBC News Web site and BBC News - Oxford Street: BBC reporter witnesses attempted robbery live on air
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66719320

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Sitting enjoying a beer on the beach in Southern Italy , I started to browse the BBC News Web site and BBC News - Oxford Street: BBC reporter witnesses attempted robbery live on air
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66719320

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk
    Clearly the tourist should have done what I did and got a sitrep from Dexter the dog. Gotta scope the area, everyone knows that.

Shocking!

Master
    Where are the police? Public are forced to step in and catch 'watch thief' by pinning him to a chair outside John Lewis in upmarket Sloane Square

Video footage captured in upmarket Sloane Square yesterday captured the moment have-a-go heroes caught a man believed to have snatched the watch from the arm of a passer-by in the busy street

Rolex wearers now relying on the kindness of strangers...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Where are the police? Public are forced to step in and catch 'watch thief' by pinning him to a chair outside John Lewis in upmarket Sloane Square

Video footage captured in upmarket Sloane Square yesterday captured the moment have-a-go heroes caught a man believed to have snatched the watch from the arm of a passer-by in the busy street

Rolex wearers now relying on the kindness of strangers...

War zone correspondent here reporting from that there London town. Despite the imminent threat to life and limb, I somehow managed to travel into Waterloo (no Dexter today, sadly), cycle across the bridge and into the legal district and to my office without being kidnapped/stabbed/shot. I know, astonishing. I even managed a stroll in Covent Garden earlier, again somehow missing the thronging marauders.

Today's watch made me a prime target as well - wish me luck for the return journey, where yet again I'll be taking my life in my hands as I leave the office door.

Journeyman
    ....maybe I should venture out to Central and see if Rolex-ripping thugs will attack me.
    Perhaps I have been lucky for the last ten years while walking the streets of Brixton, Peckham and Streatham.

It seems to me that the action is in the means streets of Chelsea, Sloane Square and Westminister. Gangsters ennit.

Today's watch made me a prime target as well - wish me luck for the return journey, where yet again I'll be taking my life in my hands as I leave the office door.

Admire your street smarts, honed in covert urban jungle warfare no doubt: The bezel offset to signal you're sporting a Seiko. Clever.

War zone correspondent here reporting from that there London town. Despite the imminent threat to life and limb, I somehow managed to travel into Waterloo (no Dexter today, sadly), cycle across the bridge and into the legal district and to my office without being kidnapped/stabbed/shot. I know, astonishing. I even managed a stroll in Covent Garden earlier, again somehow missing the thronging marauders.

Is Dexter related to Teddy Salad, that well known Monty Python special agent who used to disguise himself as a dog. If you bend down to Dexter and he says ‘gotta go walkies’ you will know that he is working under cover.

Craftsman
    My cunning plan when in London, has been to wear a Fifty Fathoms, as no one gives it a second look......... may have to re-think that now!

Very sad to read this, an appalling attack however unless I am reading this incorrectly the victim was wearing TWO Rolexes?

Birminghamistan?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    For me, the original 'under the radar' SEIKO branded Grand Seikos are taking on a new life as the ultimate stealth watch. Gangs may recognise a Sub, AP or ALS at fifty paces, but I suspect they'd struggle to place a SEIKO branded 9F with Grand Seiko in tiny letters on the six side. One of mine has certainly become a default choice for the last month or so, as it's beautiful and comfortable, but also low stress.

Having said that, I'm still a believer in sleeves over properly adjusted bracelets, keeping your eyes open, not waving around expensive watches in public, and other obvious precautions. Usually that's been sufficient in the nicer parts of London and you can wear what you like, hopefully it will be again once the police catch up with the current trend and a few more people are behind bars. These things go in waves.

Tuesday update: I made contact on today's train with Agent Dexter ...
    Only just saw this and subsequent update - hopefully the lack of recent comms doesn't mean the worst ...

Master
    Very sad to read this, an appalling attack however unless I am reading this incorrectly the victim was wearing TWO Rolexes?
    Victim blaming, is it?

From reading the article I suspect that the attack was nothing at all to do with two Rolex and everything to do with whatever relationship there was between the men. In the article the police said that the men were known to each other, they just don't know why the attack happened when it did. The Rolex were probably an afterthought once the attack had happened, may be twenty or so grand travelling money.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Victim blaming, is it?
    It's not their fault but society is the way that it is and we have to learn to live within this construct...

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Birminghamistan?
    Very good. Shame he's not here to see it. Or is he...?

Journeyman
    Hopefully the undercover police wearing high end watches will be a strong deterrent or it'll at least put a couple of them in jail

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Very sad :( That's about 100 yards from my office as well, I'd no idea that this happened there.

Christ on a bike. What a waste

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    That's disgusting( nice long sentences which is good)
    Should put to bed the argument for wearing a fake watch in case you get robbed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Should put to bed the argument for wearing a fake watch in case you get robbed.
    Thought exactly that when I saw the horrific news.

what a sad thing. sounds like the security guard from the restaurant tipped them off?

i worked around there for years, one would mostly feel pretty safe as its so busy/affluent. just shows how meaningless the 'stay in good areas' mantra is.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    just shows how meaningless the 'stay in good areas' mantra is.
    Being in affluent areas must be more risky that less affluent areas.

I imagine the gangs focus solely on the more well.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Being in affluent areas must be more risky that less affluent areas.

I imagine the gangs focus solely on the more well.
    I don't know London that well but I think crime/muggings/stabbing/murder is significantly higher in less affluent areas.

"Southwark had the highest volume of knife crime within London in the last twelve months followed by Haringey and Newham; Stratford & New Town (Newham) is currently the highest volume ward in London for knife crime."

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't know London that well but I think crime/muggings/stabbing/murder is significantly higher in less affluent areas.

"Southwark had the highest volume of knife crime within London in the last twelve months followed by Haringey and Newham; Stratford & New Town (Newham) is currently the highest volume ward in London for knife crime."
    Agreed for stabbings but I believe Westminster is the worst borough for thefts and robberies.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-...ondon-26360293

Master
    I was told today by a retired police officer that 20% of all police firearms response unit calls in London are in Newham...

Craftsman
    "the small fellow who tackled me - came back and he was starting to cut himself with a knife".
    The shopkeepers involved said the man had begun harming himself to try to get them to release his alleged accomplice, which they subsequently did.
    The man was reportedly covered in blood which was dripping down his neck and chest."

What the hell?

Not watch related but London crime data point. I live in Eltham SE9, a fairly quiet suburban outpost albeit much more working class than its South west peers.

Heard from my 20 year old son last night to say that one of his ex-school friends was mugged at knife point in a quiet residential street a few mins walk from the station around 9pm.

Not for an expensive watch, not for a Canada Goose jacket just an opportunistic scumbag movement to steal a phone and wallet.

What's worse is that they didn't just threaten him with the idea of a knife they actually placed them up against his body and neck to really get the message across.

Local police station has recently closed down and almost never see any police presence in last 2 years. Hence why I was able to find multiple references to similar recent incidents on FB last night.

It's really quite depressing and also quite anger inducing as to how we've allowed it to become like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Not watch related but London crime data point. I live in Eltham SE9, a fairly quiet suburban outpost albeit much more working class than its South west peers.

Heard from my 20 year old son last night to say that one of his ex-school friends was mugged at knife point in a quiet residential street a few mins walk from the station around 9pm.

Not for an expensive watch, not for a Canada Goose jacket just an opportunistic scumbag movement to steal a phone and wallet.

What's worse is that they didn't just threaten him with the idea of a knife they actually placed them up against his body and neck to really get the message across.

Local police station has recently closed down and almost never see any police presence in last 2 years. Hence why I was able to find multiple references to similar recent incidents on FB last night.

It's really quite depressing and also quite anger inducing as to how we've allowed it to become like this.
    An acquaintance of mine who lives in Cape Town South Africa has to patrol with others (armed) there area every night, we could end up like them in certain areas in the future perhaps.

Master
    An acquaintance of mine who lives in Cape Town South Africa has to patrol with others (armed) there area every night, we could end up like them in certain areas in the future perhaps.
    Sounds lovely.

I am so happy left the inner city for a small town with cows and sheep outside.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

Non watch related update:

Just had more details for the mugging and apparently they bundled him to the ground and accused him, in thick Eastern European accents, of attacking their brother with a knife.

I don’t know the kid but sounds like a case of mistaken identity.

Which as horrible as it must have been for him, strangely makes me feel much better.

So as a result I’m off to buy a Patek Philippe tomorrow and wear it with a t shirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk