closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Irregular tyre wear

Master

Irregular tyre wear

I have a 2021 volvo xc60 that has been slowly wearing the tyre on the passenger side front outside edge so I went to have a steering alignment done at a tyre place and it's all fine so does anyone know what may be causing it ?

Was it a 4 wheel alignment check or the old on the floor front wheel "tracking check"?

I presume they checked the suspension and tyre pressures were ok?

Grand Master
    It's not unusual for the outside edge of the passenger front tyre to wear slightly faster than the other side, that's due to the camber on UK roads. In my experience of car ownership (dating back to 1975) front tyres always tend to wear more on the edges than the middle.

Without seeing yours it's hard to say whether it's abnormal, I suggest you measure the thread with a tread gauge and look for differences between middle, outer and inner edges, if the middle's down to 3mm I wouldn't be surprised if the edge was down to 1.5mm.

Master
    On the floor tracking tyre pressure OK suspension should be OK I've owned the car from nearly new and never hit any thing.
    Paul tyre 3.5 mm in middle outside inch of tread bald
    Drivers side wearing slightly but no were near as much it has also worn over a relatively long period of time and I do mostly local driving

4 wheel alignment needed then, toe in on the front alone is not always enough. The camber, toe in/out, on all 4 wheels need checking, plus caster on the front should be checked as part of the 4 wheel alignment procedure.

Do you drive up curbs by any chance? And if so it is normally on the n/s that you mount the kerb with?
    Last edited by Arcam; 15th August 2023 at 21:18. Reason: Spelling correction

Check and log the pressure, could be under inflated, swap over with the rear and monitor the wear

Master
    Arcam I’ve driven up kerb’s occasionally but not regularly may take it to Volvo get it looked over and 4 wheel alignment done

Master
    Arcam just phoned up the tyre place and they use a hunter wheel alignment machine and the readings were all in the green

Master
    As per above, it needs a four wheel alignment done.

Sounds like it's toeing in or the camber is out. Has it had any suspension work donr or accident damage??

Do you live somewhere with lots of roundabouts??

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    As per above, it needs a four wheel alignment done.

Sounds like it's toeing in or the camber is out. Has it had any suspension work donr or accident damage??

Do you live somewhere with lots of roundabouts??

No suspension work or accident damage go round a couple of roundabouts on the way to work but probably more speed cushions

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Arcam just phoned up the tyre place and they use a hunter wheel alignment machine and the readings were all in the green
    How many miles on that tyre? It is also extremely rare to get a car "in the green" on just a alignment check, not impossible but very rare.

Master
    Under inflation would wear inner and outer edges, so pressures sound like their ok, Hunter alignment machines are as good only as the operator, and the readings in the ‘green’ can still mean a problem, if the readings show the alignment is on the opposite limits of tolerance it could mean wear when the car is travelling ahead, could be a ball joint worn and only affecting the alignment under power? Did you get a print out of the test showing the results of all applications

Master
    Tyres have done 12000 miles same as car guy at tyre place just showed me the screen don’t know how competent he was, will try to book it in with Volvo it’s still under manufacturer warranty and shouldn’t have worn suspension components at 12000 miles maybe get them to do a 4 wheel alignment not cheap though about £100

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Tyres have done 12000 miles same as car guy at tyre place just showed me the screen don’t know how competent he was, will try to book it in with Volvo it’s still under manufacturer warranty and shouldn’t have worn suspension components at 12000 miles maybe get them to do a 4 wheel alignment not cheap though about £100
    £100 from a dealer is about the norm.

Master
    The guy I use charges around £80 so £100 at a dealer is about right, if you have as many potholes around your area as mine they could be the culprit( checked for a broken spring?).

Do you regularly turn right on a hard lock, maybe pulling into your driveway? If so, that’ll be it.

Does your mother in law sit there?

In memory of Les Dawson.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I know you've said that it has had 4 wheel alignment. I'd query whether it's been done correctly, there are limited possibilities as to what causes the wear you have described. The below chart might help, albeit I'm sure you've been doing some googling.....

Not a mechanic but been around cars and tires for 60 years.

Based on your report of excessive wear on the outside of the right front tire, my guess would be either:

• too much "toe-in" at the right front wheel.
    • too much positive camber of the right front wheel
    • Maybe combined with underinflation of the right front tire.
    • Lastly but least likely would be a defective tire exacerbating one of the above adjustment errors.

Too many doughnuts,🤣

Master
    Got it booked in with volvo next sat