closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do with 100k?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I’m sure they appreciate that. We don’t have kids so that’s not a consideration for us.
    For most kids I’d say chances are they don’t appreciate it one bit but one day hopefully they very much will.

I’m 37 and am only now beginning to genuinely understand the sacrifices my mum made for us and continues to do so.

The challenge now is trying to convince my mum her sacrifices are yielding nothing and it’s time she took care of herself. Deaf ears though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello;6260390[B
    ]I’m sure they appreciate that.[/B] We don’t have kids so that’s not a consideration for us.
    HaHa
    Fat chance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I thought it an interesting comment, no criticism implied as each to his own... but it seems to strongly correlate spending money with living and happiness, when surely a healthier outlook would be to find a way to live happy with as little unnecessary financial input as possible...not for a moment suggesting living in a barrel and begging for crusts is the key to happiness but does anyone else get my point...I mean once you own the roof over your head, a vehicle, if you´re lucky possess a loving family, you´re healthy and you know where the next 30, 40 or 50 years worth of meals are coming from...isn´t happiness waking up every day, especially so to sunny, decent weather and then do what you like-love to do...mind you in fairness shopping´s never been my thing, unless it´s for books.
    Yep, with you all the way.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” ― Socrates.

I have been following that mantra for years and cut work back to part time in my early 40s; I live in a modest property, drive a 12 yo car with 150,000 on the clock ...

Money for me isn't about consumerism (watch interest is an aberration) it's about having time to do the things I want to do ... however, given I started part time 15 years ago I have to manage finances to make sure I can still afford to live in 30 years time ...
    Party of the reason I am so relaxed in my late 40s is that it is pretty amazing if you take the money you would spend on cars and invest it for nearly 30 years...

Master
    “The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” ― Socrates.

I have been following that mantra for years and cut work back to part time in my early 40s; I live in a modest property, drive a 12 yo car with 150,000 on the clock ...

Money for me isn't about consumerism (watch interest is an aberration) it's about having time to do the things I want to do ... however, given I started part time 15 years ago I have to manage finances to make sure I can still afford to live in 30 years time ...
    I envy your clarity in making what seem like excellent decisions, especially as I've struggled with seeking to reduce my hours simply because it seems a little frivolous (by no means wealthy but have enough to do so). I find it easy to 'advise' others to increase their spare time as soon as they can afford to do so but appreciate we make it more complicated than it possibly is as time and health are the things you have least control over (notwithstanding healthy lifestyle choices etc).

Bullet bit and part time application going in!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I feel a bit stupid with this after looking at the above financial advice, but I’d give it to a community kitchen project that trains young people whilst feeding communities.

Something like this just in case anyone has some spare cash:

Battersea: Abandoned pub set to get new lease of life https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66464052
    Highly worthwhile and I'm sure we could all consider making a greater financial or time contribution to charitable causes, however, I can't help but think 99% of people who would actually go through with your choice are in the wealthiest 1% in which case they probably could spare £100k but are choosing not to.
    No personal criticism intended .

With a spare 100k absolutely no question. I’m sure most of us here give to charity.

However with 100k which isn’t spare it’s a different story.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I envy your clarity in making what seem like excellent decisions, especially as I've struggled with seeking to reduce my hours simply because it seems a little frivolous (by no means wealthy but have enough to do so). I find it easy to 'advise' others to increase their spare time as soon as they can afford to do so but appreciate we make it more complicated than it possibly is as time and health are the things you have least control over (notwithstanding healthy lifestyle choices etc).

Bullet bit and part time application going in!
    My dad died aged 64, a year later my Mother in Law died age 64, a year after that my father in law got Parkinson’s … after that my work ethic went out the window.

Master
    My dad died aged 64, a year later my Mother in Law died age 64, a year after that my father in law got Parkinson’s … after that my work ethic went out the window.
    Ah, that's way too early and I can see why that might influence your thinking. May even be a positive from such unfortunate events that you'll hopefully benefit from for many years yet.

I suspect very few people regret going part time compared to those who, with hindsight, wish they'd done so sooner and yet the majority of us remain overly focused on the financial benefit, to us or dependants, of working longer. It's a good thread if it makes just one person reassess their thinking.

Master
    I want (need) a plane.

They seem to cost more than I was expecting. Even those that are as old as me :(

I’ve been quiet quitting for years. They’ll get the bare minimum out of me and I’ll spend as much time with my kids and family as I can!

Master
    As Montello said a question like this can’t be answered without knowing the full picture (kids, mortgages, age, retirement planning, other assets etc etc), but I’d say two factors to consider.

First of all diversification makes sense - some off the mortgage, some in pension, some in ISA’s, some in accessible cash, for example. Maybe adding value to your home, or an investment property depending on circumstances.

Secondly maybe a combination of living for today and planning for tomorrow, as no one knows what the future holds.

Don’t forget to make sure you protect what you have. In other words sort out the necessities first, then look at the luxuries second.

Master
    Bitcoin, maybe hedge with some Ethereum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’ve been quiet quitting for years. They’ll get the bare minimum out of me and I’ll spend as much time with my kids and family as I can!
    Hear hear.

Master
    If its unexpected, lucky scratchcard type of thing then some big holidays will see a good bit off, also some for my Sister, just chalk it up to experiences.

If its already my money, house sale,cash in investment,pension lump sum then a bit more caution and our Kid is out of luck.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Ah, that's way too early and I can see why that might influence your thinking. May even be a positive from such unfortunate events that you'll hopefully benefit from for many years yet.

I suspect very few people regret going part time compared to those who, with hindsight, wish they'd done so sooner and yet the majority of us remain overly focused on the financial benefit, to us or dependants, of working longer. It's a good thread if it makes just one person reassess their thinking.
    I’d been quite career focused until that point which gave me option to back off in my early 40s.

I do take the positive that I make better lifestyle choices now, had they not gone I’d likely be up to my neck in the corporate world now.

It takes a bit of readjustment to step off the gas but you get used to it. Too much of us is defined by what we do.

When you meet new people they always ask “what do you do?” I always ask “what are hobbies and passions?” Occasionally people struggle to answer which then leads to some interesting discussions.

Personally I'm looking at two options:

1. Stick cash into fixed savings at circa 6%, knowing the tax man will feed on them, but have them there if we decide to move to a nicer house.

2. Funnel a larger amount of my income into my pension for the tax benefit, and offset that income from savings (in effect transitioning taxable savings to tax free pension over the course of several years).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I treat my grandkids and we are taking them to NY for a week in Nov, we also travel quite a lot since retirement with a lot more planned over the next few years. We are looking to downsize and buy a place in Spain and if does not work out we will rent on a monthly basis. My aim is just to enjoy what time we have left with no stress or money worries.

My two daughters will share the house proceeds on our demise, but all the cash is being spent, apart from deposits for each grandchild towards a property to give them a start, that will do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I just old fashioned saving away to retire early. My government pension pot will be officially free at 67,5 years of age, but that’s madness imho. You can stop working at 60 and start using your pension, but only from 67,5 in my case, you get your old age state benefit. There’s a gap of 7,5 years which you have to pay out of your own pocket. So that’s where my 100k will go to.
    On reading the OP I immediately had the same thought - retire early so (for me) it wouldn't sit anywhere for very long.

Blog Entries
    It’s just like the real world on TZ-UK, people who can and people who can’t. If you love your folks and there’s something left, given with love you can’t complain. For some it’s a struggle to keep themselves afloat and saving is impossible. T’is what it is, in all cases try to enjoy the time you have.

I would divide it in three and invest a third each in TSLA, bitcoin and Argo Blockchain.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master

What would you do with 100k?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I would divide it in three and invest a third each in TSLA, bitcoin and Argo Blockchain.
    Why TSLA ?

Good one!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I thought it an interesting comment, no criticism implied as each to his own... but it seems to strongly correlate spending money with living and happiness, when surely a healthier outlook would be to find a way to live happy with as little unnecessary financial input as possible...not for a moment suggesting living in a barrel and begging for crusts is the key to happiness but does anyone else get my point...I mean once you own the roof over your head, a vehicle, if you´re lucky possess a loving family, you´re healthy and you know where the next 30, 40 or 50 years worth of meals are coming from...isn´t happiness waking up every day, especially so to sunny, decent weather and then do what you like-love to do...mind you in fairness shopping´s never been my thing, unless it´s for books.
    Some good sentiments here I'll grant you. But equally could be interpreted as a lack of ambition, and oh so boring. Knowing where the next meals are coming from for the next 50 years! Come on!

Also some people enjoy their work!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 16th August 2023 at 23:49.

Why TSLA ?
    https://ark-invest.com/articles/valu...e-target-2027/

I often think about this when I hear the "make me a winner " competition on the radio and what I would do with the money. I'm 42 now, I've got the house I've always wanted , Cars watches and have assets for the future. I would now just pay down the mortgage. My goal one the next 5-8 years is to reduce this down or pay it off. Maybe I would put some aside for some holidays but materially there isnt anything I want , and financially nothing I would want to invest in over paying off my mortgage.
    Last edited by eagletower; 17th August 2023 at 07:35.

Master
    I was giver £100k last year from the contaminated blood scheme. Having little imagination I just stuck it in a bond which is currently paying about £375 per month. I use this money to fund my petrol and cafe bills whilst riding my motorbikes around the country. It just about covers it, so it feels like I’m having days out for free.😎🤓 Today I’m doing a tour of Shropshire.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Just put my allowance into NatWest 2yr cash ISA at 5.9% which feels pretty good on a risk/return....
    I've just put this years allowance in a cash ISA 1 year fix with UBL UK @ 5.77%. Am I correct in thinking your 2 year fix will remain at £20k ie you won't be able to add next year's allowance to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I was giver £100k last year from the contaminated blood scheme. Having little imagination I just stuck it in a bond which is currently paying about £375 per month. I use this money to fund my petrol and cafe bills whilst riding my motorbikes around the country. It just about covers it, so it feels like I’m having days out for free.😎🤓 Today I’m doing a tour of Shropshire.
    Not a pleasant route to receiving the money of course, but it sounds like you are making fine use of it to me.

Master
    Mini for mother, Chevy for father. Motorcycle for me and a new gate and driveway for the house.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Reminds me a bit of this

https://youtu.be/uHWX4pG0FNY
    Ha that´s brilliant, thanks hadn´t seen it before...extra good because at one time I did Ad sales for marketing-advertising trade press.

Master
    I’m guessing this would be a medium term play :)

I’m guessing this would be a medium term play :)
    Yes, and imagine my joy that all three of them have already become about ten percent cheaper since I typed this.

Master
    Yes, and imagine my joy that all three of them have already become about ten percent cheaper since I typed this.
    Are you shorting them?

There is no way Raffe is backing those stocks.

First thing I’d do is hide the 100k from the wife and kids. Not sure what I’d do after that!