closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 3 days in the North of England - ideas?

3 days in the North of England - ideas?

Hey folks, I've decided to take a little holiday to the North for 3 days (from Ireland) shortly. I will fly into Manchester early on day 1, and fly out of Leeds late on day 3. I've been to London loads of times, travelled a reasonable amount around the South of England, and I've popped to Scotland and Wales, so I thought it was time I saw a bit more of England.

Do any folks have thoughts or ideas about particular things to do? I've booked a hotel in Manchester for night 1, and was thinking of maybe staying in Sheffield on night 2, before spending the last day in Leeds. Aside from watches, I'm interested in all sorts of stuff, so if anyone has any hidden gems or strong recommendations, I would love to hear them!
    Last edited by barneygumble; 14th August 2023 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Hey folks, I've decided to take a little holiday to the NW for 3 days (from Ireland) shortly. I will fly into Manchester early on day 1, and fly out of Leeds late on day 3. I've been to London loads of times, travelled a reasonable amount around the South of England, and I've popped to Scotland and Wales, so I thought it was time I saw a bit more of England.

Do any folks have thoughts or ideas about particular things to do? I've booked a hotel in Manchester for night 1, and was thinking of maybe staying in Sheffield on night 2, before spending the last day in Leeds. Aside from watches, I'm interested in all sorts of stuff, so if anyone has any hidden gems or strong recommendations, I would love to hear them!
    Only one of those days is in the North West.

If you're keen on walking you could take in the 3 peaks or malham cove.

Other than that, you've got Skipton out that way or Yorkshire sculpture park in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Only one of those days is in the North West.
    Duly noted.

Blog Entries
    If you are interested in Industrial History you could try Kelham Island Museum - I used to take visitors there when I worked at Sheffield Uni.

Some impressive machinery on display ...

Plus The Fat Cat is very nearby & used to be a nice place for lunch & a nice pint.

z

Master
    I would almost certainly spend a night in York.

I would say another vote for York. It is one of the most visited tourist cities in the world, has two of the best museums (especially the National Railway Museum) plus a host of other informative attractions, and is a visually appealing place. With loads of pubs!
    And if you don't fancy staying in a city, drives out must be unrivalled; North Yorks Moors, plus the coastal delights of Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes et al, even Whitby (including Watches of Whitby!) in easy driving distance.

Thanks for all the ideas so far folks - as for York, it's definitely on my list but I am saving it for a future trip with my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    .... has two of the best museums (especially the National Railway Museum)....
    Can't work out what the second one is....

Thanks for all the ideas so far folks - as for York, it's definitely on my list but I am saving it for a future trip with my kids.
    Take plenty money - a day in York with kids, will melt your creditcard.

For your solo break - why not head for the Lake District? 2 nights in a nice inn, get out in the fresh air and explore.

North Yorks - head for Hawes, similar break.
    Last edited by blackal; 15th August 2023 at 05:03.

How are you getting about, train or car?

Pack a meat and potato pie for rations, Manchester to Sheffield train goes through the Hope Valley/Peak District NP. Plenty to see. Get off, take a walk, various spectacular edges.

Sheffield to Leeds, Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield.

Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds,
    Imperial War Museum and the Lowry, Salford
    Last edited by John Wall; 15th August 2023 at 07:33.

Master
    Harrogate is a good alternative to York, some great bars and architecture, even the local wetherspoons is a sight to behold. Chester is also another of my favourite places.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Harrogate is a good alternative to York, some great bars and architecture, even the local wetherspoons is a sight to behold. Chester is also another of my favourite places.
    Good shout re Chester and Harrogate. I'd be trying to get to both in the OP's position. Certainly before Sheffield, anyway (no offence, boss).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Can't work out what the second one is....
    Jorvik Museum?

Hated York, maybe picturesque once but now largely a Harry Potter themed tourist trap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    North York Moors, especially the North East coastal villages, but that’s worth a longer stay. I was born in Sheffield but it wouldn’t be on my list of places to visit in the North.

Manchester - Lowry Centre and Science Museum. 👍
    So clever my foot fell off.

Wink

3 days is not enough !

Manchester and Liverpool city centres both worth a visit. Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National parks. Small towns such as Kirkby Lonsdale, Grassington, Ilkley etc. Skipton (don't miss the pork pies!) and Harrogate as mentioned. Whitby. Newcastle is a great city imo, further north Tynemouth, Alnwick, Bamborough, the Northumberland coast.

A lot to fit in ! Cities, countryside, good food and drink, friendly people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Manchester - Lowry Centre and Science Museum. 
    Manchester - Briton's Protection and the Peveril of the Peak.

If you’re only interested in Manchester City centre, I’d suggest the Manchester Museum, which has just been refurbished.
    You could then head to The John Rylands Library , back over to Central Library and or Manchester Art Gaklery . Then a short walk to the National Trust outdoor gardens at Castlefield Viaduct before finishing at The Roman Fort in Castlefield . After this , the Museum of Science and Industry is literally over the road .
    The tram will have you in Salford Qusys for The Lowry and Imperial War Museum North in ten minutes .
    Then head over to Old Trafford and flick the Vs at the front entrance .
    (The last tip is purely optional )
    If you need tips on food or watering holes too, feel free to ask .
    Last edited by thegoat; 15th August 2023 at 18:04.

Master
    Hahaha, I thought you said THE North. Sounds like you are geared up for a trip around Yorkshire, sounds hideous.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If you're looking for somewhere easy to get to, jump on the train to Knaresborough.
    It's two stops away from Harrogate, so you can bundle them both together.
    Knaresborough is a lovely medieval town, nice to walk around the castle (to get the iconic view) and down to the river front.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hated York, maybe picturesque once but now largely a Harry Potter themed tourist trap.
    I went once for a weekend with wife and son when he was young and hated it. We walked into the city centre during the afternoon and it was full of pissed up stags and hens everywhere we went.

We avoided the town centre after that and ate out at a restaurant outside of the town.

Sent from my SM-A137F using Tapatalk

I've lived in the area for 18 years and would say there is nothing to see in Leeds except for the Royal Armouries, so I wouldn't waste a day there, but my interests might be completely different. There are a lot of watch shops, but each city centre now has the same. York is a far nicer place to be with just as many.

I would say a really great day out is a drive through the Moors from Thirsk to Whitby, then down the coast a bit to Robin Hood's Bay (You can skip Scarborough) and back via Thornton Le Dale to Malton or York. There are a few fantastic country houses to tour between Leeds and York, with amazing gardens, etc., if something like that appeals: Harewood House, Newby Hall and Castle Howard. Ripon is nearby and there is Grantley Hall, which has been made into a (very expensive) hotel and spa, but their bar is really nice, and the whole grounds are great and I'd recommend their restaurant Eighty Eight for really good Asian fusion food.

This is great stuff folks, many thanks. I didn't know about the Roman fort in Manchester for example, I will absolutely visit that. And ideas that I will not manage this time will be added to the long list for a future, longer visit.
    Last edited by barneygumble; 15th August 2023 at 13:48.

3 days in the North of England - ideas?

Do you want to visit towns and cities or countryside?

There’s plenty in the north west without venturing into Yorkshire; that’s well worth saving for another visit.

Manchester, Chester, Liverpool are all good city visits or the Forest of Bowland, East Lancs moors, the North Wales coast or the Lake District for more rural places.

Obviously if flying out from Leeds then anything to the west of Leeds is worth visiting but not to the east as you will be doing a lot of travelling and missing a lot of nice places closer.

A few hours in Otley is a nice way to end the trip and only about ten minutes from the airport.

There’s also the Calder valley worth a visit and Haworth, both between Manchester and Leeds. Even Halifax is worth a visit.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 15th August 2023 at 13:53.

I used to live in the north and found drinking heavily helped.
    "A man of little significance"

Another vote for York, but we went in the winter many years ago, so maybe it's changed.

The Railway museum was popular with everyone.

I'd definitely visit the Royal Armouries in Leeds, but that interests me.

Isn't there a Titanic museum in Liverpool? No idea what it's like though.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

https://invisible-cities.org/cities/manchester

These walks cannot be recommended enough btw. If you have a couple of hours spare, they are a great way to get into the heart of the city.
    Manchester is still a fairly small city centre and lots of the suggestions can easily be done with a few spare hours .

Trains

The train from Manchester Piccadilly to Leeds is a nightmare at the moment due to engineering so will involve delays and replacement buses. Therefore I would take the ‘slow’ route to Leeds from Manchester Victoria through Hebden Bridge and I would stop there overnight. Lots to see there annd some decent pubs. It is about half way between the two cities.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Manchester - Briton's Protection and the Peveril of the Peak.
    Are they still going? Were always a port of call in the late 70s early 80’s !
    Last edited by craig1912; 16th August 2023 at 18:01.

Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    The train from Manchester Piccadilly to Leeds is a nightmare at the moment due to engineering so will involve delays and replacement buses. Therefore I would take the ‘slow’ route to Leeds from Manchester Victoria through Hebden Bridge and I would stop there overnight. Lots to see there annd some decent pubs. It is about half way between the two cities.
    Good shout for stopping off at Hebden Bridge. It’s a very interesting place. Watch the Gallows Poll before hand if you do, an adaptation/prequel to the book about the Cragg Vale Coiners. You can see King David Hartley’s grave if you walk up to Heptomstall (and Sylvia Plath)

Plenty of pubs and walking in the area (Stoodly Pike/ Hardcastle Craggs etc) you can also walk to Haworth from there - although a bit of a trek to see Top Withens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post
    3 days is not enough !

Manchester and Liverpool city centres both worth a visit. Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National parks. Small towns such as Kirkby Lonsdale, Grassington, Ilkley etc. Skipton (don't miss the pork pies!) and Harrogate as mentioned. Whitby. Newcastle is a great city imo, further north Tynemouth, Alnwick, Bamborough, the Northumberland coast.

A lot to fit in ! Cities, countryside, good food and drink, friendly people.
    Great shout I live not far from Grassington and Pately Bridge beautiful area and only 30 mins from Harrogate.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just to circle back on this now that I'm home - I'm not sure exactly what I expected but I was delighted with what I found. I spent time in Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds and they were all very pleasant, interesting and vibrant places to be. I'd happily return to any of them, and hopefully will do so with my family at some point in the not too distant future.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.