closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why cant more be done about scam callers/call centres?

Why cant more be done about scam callers/call centres?

Over the past few months I've had multiple attempts via text and calls to scam me out of my hard earned cash, it just seems to be getting worse. Last week alone we've had people calling from my so say energy company at work to get me to renew my contract which is by all accounts soon to run out. I don't have an energy account as its all done through my landlord so calls like these are red flags to start off with.
    By far the attempts to scam me via my mobile phone are on the increase, I was recently ported across by Virgin to O2 and last week received 3 calls telling me as I'm such a great customer they're offering me 40% discount. Of course i went along with it and was passed to “Jasper” the manager who could action the discounts. They sent me 2 rather convincing texts which looked like from O2 warning of scams in the first, then followed 30 seconds later with an activation code. I was then asked to read out the 6 digit code, when i told him it was 1,1,1,1,1 and a smiley face he realised he was being taken for a ride. He then had the audacity to get aggressive with me and shouted i was wasting his time, after some swear words and telling him he was the scum of the earth he hung up. Quite futile i know however it stopped him for 10 minutes ripping off some elderly person out of their pension.

What i cant understand and perhaps someone with more technical know-how than me can explain is why we can seemingly do anything with technology yet are virtually powerless to stop these con merchants from attacking us at will?
    How can tech not be blocked that allows these calls to appear to be coming within the UK? The calls i had last week on my mobile showed up as coming from Edinburgh but i highly suspect they weren't and more like 5000 miles to the south east.
    Its been bad for years but since covid it seems to be getting worse…are we really powerless to stop this?

It only takes one data breach.
    I registered with an online insurance company 3-years ago for a quote (99% sure it was their website, and not a bogus one). The texts, landline, and email automatic messages started to come in after a few days.

The insurance website must have been redirected, or their data hacked.
    The spam started almost immediately. The solution was to block the text numbers one by one. The ranson ware emails are deleted.

The landline calls started to reduce after I started to re-regster with the TPS service each month. Even if your line and mobile number are registered already, the blocking service can be re-requested again and again.

The TPS takes a few days to kick in, so by the end of next week, your spam calls should have reduced.

If you have recently registered with an online service, the spam will make sense.
    For example, an online insurance provider based in Colchester.
    Last edited by Reeny; 13th August 2023 at 07:29. Reason: Typos

BT/EE are currently trialling a clever new technical solution to this problem—I'm in the trial. I can't say any more than that at this stage, I'm afraid, but it's going to have a big impact on this problem (if you're a BT/EE customer).

Also some of these calls come from effectively professional, resourced organisations with their own call centres. I don't get why they aren't shut down, but are left to conduct their criminal activity as they wish

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Also some of these calls come from effectively professional, resourced organisations with their own call centres. I don't get why they aren't shut down, but are left to conduct their criminal activity as they wish

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    It’s simple because they are in countries where money talks and you can buy your way out.

I’ve watched YT videos of a centre in India, the owners got arrested, out on bail within days and opened up a new one while out on bail. Case took years and then was eventually dropped but during that entire time the guys were still scamming!

mine got bad enough on my home phone that i unplugged it and have not used my home line for around 4 yrs now , i just block numbers /text on my mobile once i get one with either the in built blocker or the app 'blacklist' (which does a great job)

Master
    Used to work shifts and event thought I was on tps and ex directory and was careful about giving the number out the calls kept coming, so I got rid of the home phone.
    My mobile gets at least a couple most days, it’s getting to be a real nuisance I block each one but then they just use another number. If you try to call back they say number not obtainable or similar.

Master
    I’ve had a few people call me recently saying that they had a missed call from my number when I know I hadn’t called that number.
    One guy started asking me what I was offering which was odd.
    Not sure if they have actually received a call with my number showing or if there is something else going on?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    BT/EE are currently trialling a clever new technical solution to this problem—I'm in the trial. I can't say any more than that at this stage, I'm afraid, but it's going to have a big impact on this problem (if you're a BT/EE customer).
    Is it this?

https://www.hiya.com/press-releases/...tion-in-the-uk

One of the regular scammers' pre-recorded "voices", sounds remarkably the same as a previously used, Aldi in-store pre-recorded actor's voice.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    I ‘google’ any unrecognised number before answering. There are a number of websites that will identify likely scam or nuisance numbers. I then block the number.
    I seem to be targeted by ‘solar panel servicing’ nuisance calls as I had a house with them many years ago.

Craftsman
    I fell victim to the exact same O2 scam. My bill had literally just gone I was planning on calling O2 to get a better deal and so when I got a call from the scumbug scammer claiming to be from O2 and offering the 40% discount I thought my luck was in.

They new my address, email and exactly how much my bill was, so I never suspected a thing.

It was only when he said ‘ I was a very nice man’ that I began to wonder, as it was a odd thing to say.

I called O2 back and they confirmed it was a scam and that they had set up a new contract and had ordered a new iPhone

Only thing puzzling me is how the scumbags would have collected the phone. As it would have been sent to my address presumably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    …are we really powerless to stop this?

It's not that we're powerless, it's just that there isn't the will to sort it. There's token raids on call centres etc...but the corrupt states (e.g. India etc.) don't bother policing or prosecuting, unless it's a token trial to appease. Culprits are usually released within a few weeks, so no deterrent.
    Here's an idea, it"s fairly easy to find who the perpetrators are; so how about everyone pay say £10 a year to a team of hitmen who will covertly take care of the problem?
    Too much?

I'm here all week.

Why cant more be done about scam callers/call centres?

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    I fell victim to the exact same O2 scam. My bill had literally just gone I was planning on calling O2 to get a better deal and so when I got a call from the scumbug scammer claiming to be from O2 and offering the 40% discount I thought my luck was in.

They new my address, email and exactly how much my bill was, so I never suspected a thing.

It was only when he said ‘ I was a very nice man’ that I began to wonder, as it was a odd thing to say.

I called O2 back and they confirmed it was a scam and that they had set up a new contract and had ordered a new iPhone

Only thing puzzling me is how the scumbags would have collected the phone. As it would have been sent to my address presumably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not too sure if true but I’ve seen a post on Nextdoor where 2 phones arrived and then a guy rang the bell claiming to be from the phone company stating that he was there to collect them as they had accidentally been sent or some similar yarn.

The home owner didn’t hand the phones over and it later transpired that new monthly contracts had been taken out in his name.

Master
    How do people spoof your number so that it looks like you are calling when you haven’t made a call?

I have started getting calls from people saying they have missed a call from me.

I have just had some kind person offering to help me sue the owner of my property as is is in a state of disrepair.

I would do, but I haven't any funds to pay me should judgement go against me.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    How do people spoof your number so that it looks like you are calling when you haven’t made a call?
    They are using VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) to make the calls and can provide whatever CLIP (Calling Line Identification Presentation) number they want. So they can make the number that shows on your handset be anything that they want. Most are based in countries whether the authorities don't care - or even encourage it, as it's seen as legitimate warfare.

They'll often use a different random number for each call, which is why blocking the numbers that (appear to) call you is mostly a waste of time.

When calling landlines, they'll often use the same STD code as the number they are calling, as people are more likely to answer "local" calls.

Registering with TPS (Telephone Preference Service) may stop legitimate marketing calls from reputable organisations, but the scammers won't pay any heed to it.

The only real solution will be when the telecos either block or authenticate CLIP originating from off their networks.

Master
    If I’m called by a number that I don’t recognise I let it go to voicemail, if it is important the they will leave a message or call back, the house phone only allows numbers in its phone through direct, all others then become announced calls which I accept/reject, on the odd time Bluetooth picks up a call in the car that’s random and they ask to speak to me I tell them “he’s not around but if they leave a number he call when he’s released from jail and never had any result except the caller hanging up.Most call originate from outside the UK so not much can be done about that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    on the odd time Bluetooth picks up a call in the car that’s random and they ask to speak to me I tell them “he’s not around but if they leave a number he call when he’s released from jail and never had any result except the caller hanging up
    Telling a scam caller to wait one moment and then telling them the call is being recorded has the same effect.