closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Exploring Whitby - came away with a watch!

Exploring Whitby - came away with a watch!

I had a visit to Whitby today to pick up a new watch, the 42mm Explorer II (2019). The perfect holiday watch, and one that will be with me in Cornwall later in the month.

Whitby was beautiful today, as is Alex's shop and as ever excellent service from Mike.

While I was there I tried on a couple of pieces, including a the incredible Planet Ocean Ultra Deep that's available to win via a competition on the website. It's an absolute beast of a watch and the first one I've seen.

If you ever find yourself near the Yorkshire coast, Whitby is worth a visit.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely watch and WoW are excellent to deal with.

SCREW THE CROWN IN !
    Making me twitchy

The black dial 216570 is a fantastic watch and something of a bargain. I much prefer the floating hands to those of the current regerence. Congrats!

- - - Updated - - -

The black dial 216570 is a fantastic watch and something of a bargain. I much prefer the floating hands to those of the current regerence. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Lovely watch and WoW are excellent to deal with.

SCREW THE CROWN IN !
    Making me twitchy
    I was just trying to figure out how to set the GMT hand to the correct position, all sorted now and screwed down.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    something of a bargain
    I'll use those words when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'll use those words when I get home.
    Ha! Best of luck :-)

Very nice. A look in this window and consoling myself with a Trenchers is my Whitby routine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Very nice. A look in this window and consoling myself with a Trenchers is my Whitby routine.

Mine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just about to walk upto the Abbey for a pint...

Craftsman
    I’m working in Whitby on Monday so planning on calling in, congrats on the purchase.

WoW is a great place. As is the Abby (brewery) at the top of the steps. Congrats on the pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    WoW is a great place. As is the Abby (brewery) at the top of the steps. Congrats on the pick up.
    There you go...

That’s the stuff!

They do good pizza too. You’ve earned it after climbing all those steps.

Craftsman
    I really like the look of that. Isn’t it 45mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I really like the look of that. Isn’t it 45mm?
    45.5mm, I was expecting it to look huge but it looked good, especially for a 6000m rated watch! I've always like Planet Ocean's and this carries the look of the regular model well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whitby is lovely, though way more tourists than when I was a child.

Hand reels are now called crab reels,we fished of the harbour in a spot for kids.

Very dangerous when the winds and waves where up.

We ran around the cliffs and the Abbey carrying penknife's,string and sticks,doing all sorts of outdoors things.

Wearing shorts and no jackets, it was regarded as weak and you would get stick if you did.

We all belonged to the RSPCA, we sledged working class using fertilizer bags while the teachers watched us crashing down the hill (you where regarded as posh if you had a proper sledge).

School was rough every day was a challenge,especially for us from the south.

Went back a few years ago and it all seemed very small and benign.

Was in Whitby last month after an absence of 30 years or so.

Had a look at WOW, nice place with a good selection of stock.

Also had look at CW Sellers/Jura. Really liked the stock they had, and was nice to actually handle some left of field watches, particularly the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf Pro which I was very impressed with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    we sledged working class using fertilizer bags while the teachers watched us crashing down the hill (you where regarded as posh if you had a proper sledge).
    We did the same albeit much further south. Those bags went over the snow a lot faster than proper sledges. I couldn't figure out why anybody would want to sledge on anything else. The brambles at the foot of the slope always kept us alert.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    We did the same albeit much further south. Those bags went over the snow a lot faster than proper sledges. I couldn't figure out why anybody would want to sledge on anything else. The brambles at the foot of the slope always kept us alert.
    Because when you hit a rock pocking through the snow it hurt,we had barbed wire at the bottom of our slope in the school yard.

Can you imagine if teachers allowed that nowadays?

Those plastic boards they used to use as barriers when the Gas Board dug up somewhere, they were pure speed. If you had one of those, you were king of the slopes, if you could balance long enough…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Am inflated tractor tyre inner tube was the best thing I've seen on the hills in snow.

Master
    45.5mm, I was expecting it to look huge but it looked good, especially for a 6000m rated watch! I've always like Planet Ocean's and this carries the look of the regular model well.
    Are you particularly well-endowed, in the wrist department obvs !? Both of those look very well proportioned on you, would've expected them to look a lot bigger on the average wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Are you particularly well-endowed, in the wrist department obvs !? Both of those look very well proportioned on you, would've expected them to look a lot bigger on the average wrist.
    I have 18cm wrists and I initially dismissed the Explorer 2 42mm as being too big. When I tried it on I was genuinely surprised at how well it wore. It's a big watch for sure but it's slim and flat which helps the overall size. It's fine on me but I think it's about as large as I'd want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Oooh-err, I would have said I'm average (at 6"1), although things look bigger the closer to the camera don't they. I've never measured but as a comparison here are some other watches 40-42mm

Craftsman
    I’ve got a 7 1/4 in wrist and I reckon I could just about pull it off. Lug to lug is quite short and I think the chunky bezel helps.

It’s a bit top heavy but the PO adjustable clasp means you can get it to fit just right.

The dial on the special edition is lovely, that orange one is nice as well. No date and no He escape valve - it really is a nice watch.

Son of a friend of mine had his Explorer stolen whilst on holiday a couple of years ago. Helped them not get screwed by their insurers and have since been looking out for reasonably priced 39mm model to replace it. Taken a while but pleased to report that I saw one at WoW and the watch is now on his wrist and very happy with the service