closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What’s going on with this 5513, Franken or fake??

What’s going on with this 5513, Franken or fake??

This 5513 looks so so wrong on so many fronts but I can’t work out if it’s a fraken or total fake, what do you think?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...lot-image-link
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 10th August 2023 at 09:27.

Looks very dodgy to me, i'd say its a fake.

Dial (Looks like it was badly painted) and insert dont look real, its got hands that don't match and the movement is missing it's calibre model number. As far as i know it should have 1520 near the "SWISS" marking.
    Last edited by AmosMoses; 10th August 2023 at 09:43.

Grand Master
    And maybe only worth what any Rolex are worth now so shouldn't be a huge loss hopefully!.

I'm far from an expert, but that dial does look off to me, even if I can't quite explain why.

The replacement hands and modern bezel insert with probably a luminova pip do create a distorted image against the older looking dial.

The 3, 6 and 9 plots do look a little odd, you can almost see where someone has drawn an oblong and it looks bigger than the area filled with whatever (tritium?).
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 10th August 2023 at 13:36.

What’s going on with this 5513, Franken or fake??

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The replacement hands and modern bezel insert with probably a luminova pip do create a distorted image against the older looking dial.

The 3, 6 and 9 plots do look a little odd, you can almost see where someone has drawn an oblong and it looks bigger than the area filled with whatever (tritium?).
    The case/crown guards were more my concern, or is that a service case?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    The case/crown guards were more my concern, or is that a service case?
    You would need to know the serial number to know that. The MF will be 66 to 69, if the serial number is much later then it’s a replacement. Didn’t Rolex keep back a load of cases in the 4.4m range for such events.

Master

Serial number quoted in the description

As an aside; love the description - Ticking at present.

And appears to have been recently serviced but no accompanying service paperwork. Most odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    And appears to have been recently serviced but no accompanying service paperwork. Most odd
    That will be our bloke in the back, he is a qualified ex Rolex watchmaker don’t you know.

Not a service replacement case then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That will be our bloke in the back, he is a qualified ex Rolex watchmaker don’t you know.

Not a service replacement case then.
    Hahaha!! Did he serve his time at Timpsons?

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Hahaha!! Did he serve his time at Timpsons?

Always liked that Harry Hill joke, why do people who mend shoes feel qualified to cut keys and engrave throphies

Master
    Another non expert her l here but zoom in and the coronet looks far from symmetrical, the 3,6 and 9 markers seem to have 'ears' on the corners, the 12 triangle tip looks skew. These are possibly just distortions though. Other things that just feel odd with the dial, the aged plots look remarkably uniform in colour...hmm. Then to my eyes the crown guards look too wide and the fit of the bracelet.... were they that tight on 5613s? The hands and insert could be service swaps but although it's hard to tell from one photo other stuff like the bezel coin edge looks crisp, showing no wear, case too looks free from major blemish, wear or polishing... No it's too much of a mix and too good condition for a watch of some age, a tool watch of some age. My thought is its fake.

Master
    One more thing, the plexi could be a service item but once again its suspiciously good and scratch free

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Another non expert her l here but zoom in and the coronet looks far from symmetrical, the 3,6 and 9 markers seem to have 'ears' on the corners, the 12 triangle tip looks skew. These are possibly just distortions though. Other things that just feel odd with the dial, the aged plots look remarkably uniform in colour...hmm. Then to my eyes the crown guards look too wide and the fit of the bracelet.... were they that tight on 5613s? The hands and insert could be service swaps but although it's hard to tell from one photo other stuff like the bezel coin edge looks crisp, showing no wear, case too looks free from major blemish, wear or polishing... No it's too much of a mix and too good condition for a watch of some age, a tool watch of some age. My thought is its fake.
    The coronet is not always symmetrical depending on serial #.

The plots look like they’ve been painted on with magnolia emulsion by Bob Ross using a 2” brush.

Master
    Even Omega could clock that's a wrong 'un

Last edited by J J Carter; 11th August 2023 at 22:29.

Master
    Yes dial and case don't look quite right but even if correct it's a pretty poor/undesirable example with the replacement hands/bezel. I'd want a much better example if in the market for one and these aren't difficult to find.

Craftsman
    The crown guards look like new and untouched on a very sharp case, yet the dial has been relumed with a trowel and it has luminova hands and replacement insert. So either the watch has a new case and multiple replacement parts or there is the unlikely combination of lots of parts being replaced or poorly refined, yet the case is strangely untouched in mint condition. If a new case from Rolex, it would have a 44***** serial number rather than the 2214673 quoted in the sales details, so the case is questionable and with hands, dial and bezel insert that are a poor replacements/relume.