closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you feel about your old school?

Well on one occasion I was talking to a class mate and the ball was right next to my feet. We carried on talking, not realising when the teacher was shouting away. What’s his problem I said. Found out soon enough when he came charging over and picked up the ball.

I enjoyed school, and made loads of lifelong friends. I didn't know it at the time but our school was a bit shit, one of the worst in the city. It's only after I'd left and meet others from different schools knew. Our school certainly lacked ambition, it didn't have a Sixth Form so very few went on to do A levels, as that meant going to Sixth Form college the opposite side of the City.

Our careers / further education meeting was just about which Tech College course you like to choose, or sign-up for a trade apprenticeship.

I doubt much has changed and glad not to be sending my children there.

It was a mixed bag for me. I went to the primary school directly in front of my house and had 4 good years, but the last 3 I sat on my own.

I had ADHD as a kid, but it wasn't a thing then, so I was just excluded from group work. I was probably the brightest in our class of 32 and would race to finish work, then chat and fidget for 45 minutes while the rest of the class caught up. The teachers hated me.

Secondary was sort of similar, but I had behavioural support. I was on my own in the boring classes and "normal" in the interesting classes. The good teachers understood that the more they challenged me the better I behaved, the bad ones stuck me in a cupboard.

I achieved 8 good Highers without a single minute of study and went on to be a complete failure for 5 years until I learned to cope with my ADHD. It wasn't until I was in my late 30s I properly learned how to use my intelligence and avoid the situations, jobs and environments that make me non productive.

I think the school supported me as well as it could at the time. There was no money, understaffed and nobody had a clue what ADHD is. The old building was knocked down recently and has been replaced.