closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where were you in 1982?

Sat in the pub chatting with the barmaid whose dad was a Para in the Falklands, aged 20.

I can well remember a conversation some weeks before the invasion where we wondered why on earth the government felt the Argentina junta wouldn't see the withdrawal and scrapping of our ice patrol ship as an indication that they didn't care about the Falklands.

That was enough to convince me that politicians were mostly idiots, not a view I've ever seen much cause to change.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I just looked at the hits that year and there are so many good records (who said the '80's were shite for music?)!
    Does anyone say that? Maybe a few 70s prog rock fans, but the early 80s were some of the most diverse years for music.

Sadly, it was pretty dire once the charts were full of soap stars and bimbos squawking over the same of SAW noise.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I was the deputy manager of the Austin Reed store in Brent Cross. I’d been on their inaugural management training course and wanted to be a buyer, but a restructure put paid to that and I ended up going into property instead (as my best mate said, “you’re Jewish, Tone - why aren’t you in property?”)

Some good music that year. My choice would be The Stranglers with Golden Brown.

Edited to add - take a listen to the wonderful Dave Brubeck Quartet's version. I saw them live at production Village in Cricklewood many, many years ago... musical icons, collectively and individually.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th August 2023 at 08:02.

Blog Entries
    15 in 1982 and buying Tangerine Dream albums like there was no tomorrow. Still couldn’t adapt to all the homework at school. Trouser size still the same though….
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I started the year at the Centre d'entrainement commando N° 7 in Trier West Germany.

I was injured but stayed till the end (I still suffer from that injury).

When I got back to camp, I went on a road trip to Italy on my new motorbike,it was very cold through Austria and most things where shut there and Italy.

My Irish friend came with me as he couldn't get security clearance to go back to NI on leave.

When we got back we found out the Falklands had been invaded,I volunteered but didnt go.

I still remember we where on exercise on Soltau in the back of our 432 when our CO announced we had taken the islands back.

It was all rather muted as we had not been able to keep up with developments and had no idea of the suffering our mates where going through.

The rest of the year was much the same in BAOR more exercises, shortages of fuel and ammo and lots of wild nights down town (we all miss it and wouldnt change a thing).

Punk finally felt like it was over, thankfully we still had the Cure,the Clash, the Jam etc. and the new wave coming though.

7 years old on a wednesday evening would have been coming home to fish fingers and noodle doodles for dinner no doubt, picked up by dad from the cubs/scouts in the Talbot and annoyed that I'd missed postman pat on TV again...

This made me Google to remember, 1982 my dad went back to Singapore to see his mum for the first time since he de-mobbed from the RAF at the end of WWll, he brought back a load of cassettes he thought we’d like. One was Musical Youth 😂 and I bought my first 7” record, Mickey by Ton Basil.

Wow.

My single change of school, heading into secondary. Big wide world was out there!

Oh, and Madness.

I was at Harper Adams Agricultural College in 1982, such a great time. My girlfriend at the time, now my wife, was sharing a house with an Irish peripatetic violin teacher at the time who was at university with the fiddle player (Helen O’hara, from Dexys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blade Runner
    The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads
    Life, the Universe and Everything
    Commodore 64

That's about it
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Big year for me. Completed my BT apprenticeship and started at Ealing telephone exchange as a Tech 2A. Passed my bike test and traded my KH250 for a Z750, and Theatre of Hate released Westworld, which became my soundtrack for 1982 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Well at least Robert Smith hasn't changed any!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Well at least Robert Smith hasn't changed any!
    Not so sure about that.
    He looks like Elizabeth Taylor nowadays.

What was 1982 like for you?

Not so sure about that.
    He looks like Elizabeth Taylor nowadays.
    LOL! Not a bad shout, actually.

Grand Master

Buying and wearing these! And still adore them.
    RIAC

I was 21 and jobs wise had been a member of the maintenance staff at a management college, an apprentice monotype caster operator, a demolition labourer and was at that time a rural postman. I drove a 1967 Daimler V8 250 (manual overdrive no less) which I'd bought as a 17 year old and rode a 1963 Royal Enfield Continental GT that I'd restored as a 14 year old, those obsessions hoovered up any money I earned! My other passion was music and I'd already been to many tremendous gigs and festivals.

All of these afflictions continue to this day.

I was in the 2nd year at 6th Form doing A Levels. Music was a big part of my life back then as was my 1st proper motorcycle...

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Saw them twice on their final tour including the last gig in Brighton.

I always understood that the Cornwall Coliseum gig was the end of the tour & the Brighton gig was a "closed" one for the fan club & record company type people, would have been very cool to have been at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I always understood that the Cornwall Coliseum gig was the end of the tour & the Brighton gig was a "closed" one for the fan club & record company type people, would have been very cool to have been at that one...
    No, just a standard gig added onto the initial tour dates due to high demand.
    https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/hi...ighton-6065044

17 and working, so had a disposable income and easy access to London after work. Best time of my life

18, just failed to get good enough A-levels to take up any university courses I'd been offered. Instead I was doing a string of dead-beat jobs (machine cleaner in a pie factory/shop assistant/ride supervisor at a theme park...), then got a training post at a local hospital to work as an ODA in operating theatres. Struggled on the money, as I'd left home the year before, so it was three-way choice between heat, food or rent: that's when I learned to hit-up the bins at the end of market day - lots of perfectly-good produce chucked because it wouldn't last until the next market! I was also half-expecting to be called-up TBH because the Falklands looked a bit of a bleak prospect to me at first, with (supposedly) the Argentines having far better supply lines and the French and Yanks supplying them with armaments and spares. Seem to recall subsequently finding out there wasn't much truth in most of those tales? Strange days, and I was a LOT thinner!

I was born in June 1982 so wasn't doing a great deal,

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Buying and wearing these! And still adore them.
    They’ve lasted well 😂

I had some too … Bjorn Borg elite if I remember correctly?

Blog Entries

Where were you in 1982?

A pair of Adidas Abdul Jabbar did me fine.

But most of my trainers and football boots were from the Dutch brand Quick.

Last edited by Daddelvirks; 10th August 2023 at 21:08.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

What was 1982 like for you?
    Close enough...1980:

What were you, a news reader, or should I say Anchorman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    What were you, a news reader, or should I say Anchorman.
    Looks to me like the CFO of a computer software company

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Looks to me like the CFO of a computer software company
    What does the F stand for?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I was 24 and living in London. Into Gong, Here and Now and Steve Hillage. What was I thinking? Can't remember much about anything during that time except for the IRA park bombings.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I would have been 4, so probably eating mud or something.

15 years old, probably listening to Dylan, Bowie, Cohen etc. and definitely madly in love with Kate Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    What does the F stand for?
    Ha ha.

CFO is Chief Financial Officer. The "anchorman" photo was arranged by my new company to announce my hiring in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune paper. Companies actually did that 40 years ago!

Journeyman
    I was 4 and living in a terrace house in south wales.
    There were a lot of poo on the street.

And Buck Rogers.
    A blue budgie.

....that is all I remember :(

Master
    20 years old

Just finishing my apprenticeship at BREL in Derby. Straight into Progress Chasing component s for Mk3 / HST125 carriages.

Bought my fourth Kawasaki Triple a 1975 H2C. Still had my KH500 and S2 350. Sold my Z1B to buy the H2. Couldn’t drive a car back then.

No steady girlfriend just lots of short term ones. Having had my heart broken the previous year.

Getting tickets to watch Chelsea was easy. Actually most matches you didn’t need a ticket you just rocked up to the turnstile. Saw very few victories in 1982. We lost to Spurs at home in the cup. We even got beaten by Notts County in the league ffs.

Festivals - lots of festivals. Rock on The Tyne. The Police headlined but U2 stole the show. Monsters of Rock at Donington with The Quo. Then onto Reading (again) - no Leeds Festival in those days. Iron Maiden got Bruce Dickinson in and everything sounded the same thereafter. Blackfoot once again were my favourite band of the weekend and The Jackie Lynton Band had everyone in hysterics. MSG closed the show and vocalist Graham Bonnet had been sacked two days earlier. Gary Barden rescued the show. Then up to Notting Hill for some reggae.

And beer was still less than a quid for a pint mostly

I was 14 yrs old and into stuff like Kraftwerk, Soft Cell, OMD

I was 23/24 working as a roofer, Asphalt Spreader. Met my first wife (not the woman in the story) that year, stupidly got engaged. Bought my first property for £20K. Highlight was probably the Rolling Stones at Wembley for £10.50. As I'm pretty tall a short lady asked if she could sit on my shoulders. She was pretty and fit. After a few minutes of jigging about I noticed people and my mates smiling at me....I looked up to see she had removed her shirt and her boobs were bouncing along to the rhythm. Great times.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    20 years old

Just finishing my apprenticeship at BREL in Derby. Straight into Progress Chasing component s for Mk3 / HST125 carriages.

Bought my fourth Kawasaki Triple a 1975 H2C. Still had my KH500 and S2 350. Sold my Z1B to buy the H2. Couldn’t drive a car back then.

No steady girlfriend just lots of short term ones. Having had my heart broken the previous year.

Getting tickets to watch Chelsea was easy. Actually most matches you didn’t need a ticket you just rocked up to the turnstile. Saw very few victories in 1982. We lost to Spurs at home in the cup. We even got beaten by Notts County in the league ffs.

Festivals - lots of festivals. Rock on The Tyne. The Police headlined but U2 stole the show. Monsters of Rock at Donington with The Quo. Then onto Reading (again) - no Leeds Festival in those days. Iron Maiden got Bruce Dickinson in and everything sounded the same thereafter. Blackfoot once again were my favourite band of the weekend and The Jackie Lynton Band had everyone in hysterics. MSG closed the show and vocalist Graham Bonnet had been sacked two days earlier. Gary Barden rescued the show. Then up to Notting Hill for some reggae.

And beer was still less than a quid for a pint mostly

H2 - I managed to drop a friend’s on the A38 when it developed a tank slapper. Dreadful handling, but looked and sounded fabulous. Teens to the gallon as I recall. Hard to imagine nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I started my commercial diving career up in the Nth Sea in '82

And then recently in Pompey met up again with these three hooligans 42 years on.
    Great times, great memories and still cherish being alive!
    (L-R) Kimmo, Smudger, Mr Mole and myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Clem; 21st August 2023 at 15:26.

Blog Entries
    The 1982-83 season I was a ballboy at Maine Rd, which culminated in this game...

... & this outcome...

Not particularly happy memories.

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post

And then recently in Pompey met up again with these three hooligans 42 years on.

I recognise at least one of those faces from my days in Technip

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    I recognise at least one of those faces from my days in Technip

I have edited my original post now AL if that helps to decipher who's who.

13 yrs at Secondary school, which I enjoyed...musically moving quickly from The Stones, Roxy Music, Bowie into the Punk, and the darker world of Goth.
    A chance to see Echo & The Bunnymen at Gloucester Leisure centre firmly cemented the move....

Songs that remind me most of that time...Bauhaus ' Spirit 'for the darker edge, and ' Pretty in Pink ' by the Psychedelic Furs for a more upbeat sound...( musically at least, not sure the lyrics are ..)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post

(L-R) Kimmo, Smudger, Mr Mole and myself.

Thanks Clem, Smudge is the face I definitely recognise, with apologies to others. I was on Wellservicer at the time. You might know my fishing buddy Steve 'Happy' Day? We get out on the derbyshire Derwent most weeks during the trout season. Andy
    Last edited by ALindsay; 23rd August 2023 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Thanks Clem, Smudge is the face I definitely recognise, with apologies to others. I was on Wellservicer at the time. You might know my fishing buddy Steve 'Happy' Day? We get out on the derbyshire Derwent most weeks during the trout season. Andy
    Hi Andy, aye Smudger along with Shorty (Scouser) would have been a part of the furniture on the Welly after Stena days. Along with a few other nutters too!
    I sent Mudger a msg to say that you had picked him out and recognised him and am awaiting a response..
    I do recall a Happy Day (and Popeye) from early KD Marine days. Stay safe, best wishes and good luck fishing next time out on Derwent.
    Clem

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I was 16 in 1982, what a year that was.

My song of that year will forever remain:

I’ve got than on 7” (and just about everything else he ever released).

As for 1982, I was watching Villa won the European Cup.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Away from that, saw The Who at the NEC Brum.
    I was at that one.. loved the show, but was a bit surprised when they took a break half way through the set.