closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New go-to watch search criteria - what's out there?

New go-to watch search criteria - what's out there?

Looking for a "one watch to bind them all" daily, the go-to. Proving harder than I thought so hopefully the forum hive-mind can come up with some suggestions...

I have a couple of things which tick all my boxes as beaters, watches I use when canoeing or fishing or whatever (Citizen Ray Mears for example), but really want to consolidate a few things in to one, nice, upper end (for me) do it all. So the criteria are:

Legibility is king - super clear to read, no chronos, sub dials etc.
    Not full lume. Ideally black dial.
    Great lume.
    Properly robust.
    Max 43mm diameter
    Solid caseback
    Ideally no date, but accept this may be asking too much.
    Reasonable to great anti-magnetic
    300m or + WR

Present list includes some Seamaster 300s, MG SAR Timer, Sinn U50.

What else shoudl I be looking at guys?

Craftsman
    Your present list are strong contenders. Seamaster seems to cover those bases and is a very, very good solution. Plenty of dial and bezel options. I vary month to month on which I prefer; green is lovely. Buy on bracelet and add the Omega rubber.

To add something to the discussion though, some variant of the Tudor Black Bay (which dependent on sizing preference) or possibly a Breitling Superocean for something a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Your present list are strong contenders. Seamaster seems to cover those bases and is a very, very good solution. Plenty of dial and bezel options. I vary month to month on which I prefer; green is lovely. Buy on bracelet and add the Omega rubber.

To add something to the discussion though, some variant of the Tudor Black Bay (which dependent on sizing preference) or possibly a Breitling Superocean for something a bit different.
    Thanks. I'm sure you're right on Black Bay but I just can't get on with Tudors. I bought a North Flag new some years ago, but shipped it (shortly after they made David Beckham the face of the brand, as it turns out). I just don't "get" them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Thanks. I'm sure you're right on Black Bay but I just can't get on with Tudors. I bought a North Flag new some years ago, but shipped it (shortly after they made David Beckham the face of the brand, as it turns out). I just don't "get" them.
    I used to be the same with Tudor, but came around to them.

Seamaster then, I think. Loads of variety to suit most tastes. Green for me (today) and white are close first place. Classic blue will forever be iconic.

Seiko Marine Master 300 on a Crafter Blue rubber strap..?

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Seiko Marine Master 300 on a Crafter Blue rubber strap..?
    Good shout but I've got a pre Prospex MM I bought in Tokyo. Lovely thing but just too big for everyday use, especially when cuffs hove in to view.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

The Sinn U1 seems to tick most of the boxes, but it has a date.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    My money would also go to Sinn. Don't discount the EZM13.1. It has a date, but the font being red makes it quite subtle.

Many of the other Sinn have a date, but they are often very discreet.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Pelagos 39.

You haven't mentioned price??
    U50 looks great. 300m WR limits your options though-why do you want that? Pelagos could meet your needs-39mm would be good but only 200m.
    Is the Rolex Explorer too simple a choice??

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    You haven't mentioned price??
    U50 looks great. 300m WR limits your options though-why do you want that? Pelagos could meet your needs-39mm would be good but only 200m.
    Is the Rolex Explorer too simple a choice??
    Fair point on price. Thinking £5k tops, but ideally less; but bear in mind I'm unlikely to buy a new one of whatever it turns out to be.
    Pelagos - aye, agree, but I can't do Tudor. Have tried, just don't make sense to me as a brand nowadays (used to when they were much further from Rolex price wise).
    As for Explorer etc, long ago told myself I wouldn't ever have another Rolex after I sold my last. Partly because I like to walk through city centres unmolested, and partly because I got tired of the endless attention I found they generated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    My money would also go to Sinn. Don't discount the EZM13.1. It has a date, but the font being red makes it quite subtle.

Many of the other Sinn have a date, but they are often very discreet.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yep, U50 presently way ahead of other options in my mind. I had an EZM3F a couple of years ago and liked it but in real world use it wasn't very legible at all, oddly. Have just discovered the U50 Professional, with no date and an 11 o'clock crown, which is absolutely perfect...but sadly they only make 150 of them.
    Last edited by FrontierGibberish; 8th August 2023 at 13:15.

Master
    Last edited by J J Carter; 8th August 2023 at 13:10.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    That's interesting. Hadn't considered rhat at all. Thanks.

The answer is this:

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/p/wat...-l2-836-4-52-9

Fulfils every one of the criteria you listed. The only question is whether you like the aesthetic.

Here are a couple of real life pics I took of it a few months back. Lovely.

Yep, U50 presently way ahead of other options in my mind.
    I'm with you on the U50-cracking looking watch. I used to have the U1 but really it was too big for me.
    The only thing stopping me buying a U50 is the clasp. I want the fully tegimented bracelet, and the lack of easy micro-adjust and clasp put me off. The rubber strap now comes with the new clasp which has micro-adjust, so I'm "hoping" that they will upgrade the bracelet clasp at some stage.
    I have vacillated between the U50 and the Pelagos 39 for some time, but if you have discounted Tudor as an option then your choice is easier!

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    The answer is this:

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/p/wat...-l2-836-4-52-9

Fulfils every one of the criteria you listed. The only question is whether you like the aesthetic.

Here are a couple of real life pics I took of it a few months back. Lovely.

That's lovely. Longines usually a bit too classical for me (I clearly lack the class to carry them off) but that's a touch nearer my brutalist tendencies.

That's lovely. Longines usually a bit too classical for me (I clearly lack the class to carry them off) but that's a touch nearer my brutalist tendencies.

It's a bloomin' brilliant watch. Plenty here will baulk at the price (me included) but equally I can think of no brand that hasn't increased prices significantly over the last decade. I guess we have to just accept that just because we can remember a day when a Sub was £3k it doesn't mean, in this day and age, that this isn't decent value when compared with the price of everything else in the industry. And you won't get it nicked just because you were wearing it in broad daylight in London...

For real durability, hardened steel is hard to beat (!), and a U50 (or U1/U2/UX) are all great options here.

A Damasko DSub also ticks the same spec boxes:

Albeit only the PVD version is currently available new - though the rest show-up regularly used.

A more elegant looking and affordable hardened steel case alternative - and one which can be ordered without a date display - would be Traska's Freediver:

Another value alternative that ticks most of the above boxes would be Dievas' Maya:

Happy hunting!

If you could ease the WR back to 200m the the Damasko DK30 ticks a lot of boxes...

Last edited by gunner; 8th August 2023 at 14:05.

Craftsman
    Rather more mainstream but how about a Longines Spirit Titanium? It has no date and titanium adds lightness.

Apologies - ignore me because only 100m of water resistance. Got confused by mention of Rolex Explorers earlier in the thread..

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bonny Marco; 8th August 2023 at 14:14.

How about a Longines Legend Diver (no date) - fits everything except the antimagnetic part, but mine hasn't ever seemed to suffer - and the lume is 'ok' rather than brilliant.

Master
    I would go for the Omega SMP 300 if it was my choice.

A classic which doesn’t shout out (too loudly) and a great all rounder.

Am on the move for a bit so can't reply to individual posts until later but loads of great suggestions so far, some of which hadn't occurred to me at all. Forum is so good for this stuff. Thank you and please keep em coming.

CWC auto diver?

Master
    Aninimo milimetri, only available used though.

To be fair, and in the nicest possible way OP, It looks to me like you’ve decided you want a seamaster and have invented criteria by which to justify it.

Essentially, your criteria says you want a black dive watch (300m, black dial, great lume), of which there are many. When you throw in great antimagnetism, you’re looking at an omega dive watch wit.

I don’t know why anyone needs 300m of water resistance or good to great magnetic field resistance but I can’t think of many watches that’s going to give you those two specs combined.

Alternatively, you could get a pilots watch with an iron cage or silicone components. But you’d lose the 300m WR.

Master
    How about an IWC Aquatimer?
    The IW329002 for example seems to hit most of your criteria…. Or an Ingy 3239 if the magnetic thing is more important (although you’ll drop to 120m WR, but how deep are you going in a canoe?). Trade offs with both compared the the Seamster when looking at this specific criteria mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    To be fair, and in the nicest possible way OP, It looks to me like you’ve decided you want a seamaster and have invented criteria by which to justify it.

Essentially, your criteria says you want a black dive watch (300m, black dial, great lume), of which there are many. When you throw in great antimagnetism, you’re looking at an omega dive watch wit.

I don’t know why anyone needs 300m of water resistance or good to great magnetic field resistance but I can’t think of many watches that’s going to give you those two specs combined.

Alternatively, you could get a pilots watch with an iron cage or silicone components. But you’d lose the 300m WR.
    It may look that way to you, but you'd be wrong. U50 presently miles ahead of anything else.

Blog Entries
    I’m throwing the Breitling Avenger 43 into the mix. Hard as nails, easy to read. Suitable wrt. Easy to service. Can be bought new at discount.

Fits your criteria (does have date complication though).

web pic:
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Date, but otherwise

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I’ll play how about this under £3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    I’ll play how about this under £3k

From the opening post:

Legibility is king - super clear to read, no chronos, sub dials etc.

300m WR seems a questionable requirement, removes a lot of contenders IMO.

I had a Sinn U1 that I enjoyed a lot before selling it. I sold it as it was usurped by a CWC Diver, a quartz one at that. To get something better, you have to spend Tudor type money. Seamaster is always a great choice, but if you didn’t want to spend £3000, I would get the CWC and keep the rest of the money.

Dave

Zenith Skyline. RRP is £7900 but can be had for around £5500. Versatile with the extra rubber strap it comes with.

Master
    It may look that way to you, but you'd be wrong. U50 presently miles ahead of anything else.

One day I’ll get around to trying a U50 along with a T50. I think it would be interesting to compare both watches side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Unless you are a professional deep sea diver, I don't understand the 300m water resistance requirement. 200 meter will do for 99.99% of population.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The U50 is a brilliant watch, since I got mine it's had more wrist time than any other, I haven't babied it but it's remained unmarked which is a bonus, my bb58 seemed to pick up marks quite easily.

It's made question why I own so many watches, I really could live with it as the one and only.

Having had a U1 as a daily (fully tegimented with a teg bracelet too) for about 3 years ultimately I just found it too dull/matt/industrial - and way too heavy - as a daily. I’ve been wearing an OG BB58 nearly every day now for 15 months and it’s at far nicer imho as a daily ‘forget it and just put it on’ watch. I have read the OP’s comments which I used to agree with but I’m converted by the sheer quality of the 58 at this price point (which admittedly is a now normal but stupid price point) - but I can t see myself ever flipping it. And having flipped a lot of watches over the years - starting with a 5513 bought brand new for £800 with my first bonus cheque - that means something!

New go-to watch search criteria - what's out there?

Properly robust - like quartz/eco drive robust?

You are back to Seamasters out of many of the suggestions here I think then?

Just as a side note, I also have struggled with Tudors a little previously - maybe been through Ten of them.
    but on Pelagos number 4 (I know!) I have suddenly decided I love it. I keep thinking it could work as a One watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well I made my choice chaps, and I think it's a good one.

Craftsman

Changed your mind about Tudor then! I think you eventually made a great choice. The Pelagos is a lovely looking watch. I've been eyeing up the blue face version. Enjoy.

That’s a good choice.

Exactly what I’d have chosen with the criteria set. I prefer the baby brother P39 myself (and can live comfortably with 200 m water resistance!). Congrats on your choice

Blog Entries
    GS diver with 9F quartz movement. Several flavours to choose from… this is the SBGX335

No date, built like a tank, & great lume & legibility … although it’s 200m WR & 43.6mm - but it wears smaller IMHO.

Good review here

z
    Last edited by zelig; 24th August 2023 at 17:30.

Top choice OP

Nice. That will do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am currently wearing my Blancpain Bathsyscaphe on the BP NATO.

It will push your budget close to 5k and it is 43mm and has a display back (but you might excuse that as the movement is beautiful).

You won’t see another and it has some real pedigree and history.

Now I see you went with the Pelagos which is a superb choice!