closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WWI Silk Postcards

WWI Silk Postcards

Sorting out my Mum’s things found a load of WWI silk postcards- either to my Great Aunt from her husband and others from a Great Uncle to his sister.

Quite emotional looking through these, thinking of the hardship everyone endured. If anyone’s interested, here’s a few images: -

Master
    Love to see these. I have a couple, but with no family relevance.

It just make you wonder what was actually going through the serviceman's mind when these were being written.

I am actually thinking about starting a collection.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Love to see these. I have a couple, but with no family relevance.

It just make you wonder what was actually going through the serviceman's mind when these were being written.

I am actually thinking about starting a collection.
    Fear, dread, WTF am I doing here, will I ever see my family again, attempting to show a brave face, conditioned to "serve king and country", there's no romance in war.
    Apologies OP they're lovely things and should be treasured but they also suggest a different story.
    Last edited by number2; 5th August 2023 at 18:34.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

When I was a nipper we lived next to two old ladies, they were sisters, they had 5 brothers at the beginning of the war, none when it was over. My dad has the letters and cards like these and had the Christmas ones framed and puts them up each Christmas, always brings a tear reading the messages sent back to their sisters and parents knowing they did not return.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    When I was a nipper we lived next to two old ladies, they were sisters, they had 5 brothers at the beginning of the war, none when it was over. My dad has the letters and cards like these and had the Christmas ones framed and puts them up each Christmas, always brings a tear reading the messages sent back to their sisters and parents knowing they did not return.
    My grandad had 4 brothers who went to the trenches in WW1….they all came back. It must have been horrendous trying to survive when all of the orders were designed to kill you

What memories they hold, what tales they could tell. Wonderful things to cherish.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Lovely heirlooms.

I love the way one is addressed to "Blighty".
    Cheers,
    Neil.