closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on a good value watch as a present

Master

Advice on a good value watch as a present

The wife of a pal of mine is wanting to buy him a watch for his 60th. Probably around £3 -£4k ish. She sent me a photo of a Tag Chrono in the style of what she’s looking for.

Any suggestions as to offerings in this style around that money. I just thought there might be something a little more niche out there at that price.

All suggestions welcome

Master
    May not be helpful but I think give someone the money and let them search themselves is the best way. They get the fun of looking and trying on various watches to then land on a special watch.

Personally I think that’s a nice looking watch. In house movement, non cluttered dial, can pretty much go with anything and at the price it is I think you would struggle to get anything close to it from one of the other well known Swiss brands, you can also get a decent discount on it (Think Swiss watches direct have a decent price on it)

Main selling point though is his parter has chosen it so chances are she knows what he likes a lot more than a bunch of folk on the net who will throw a load of micro brands, Japanese or other suggestions that he probably won’t like.

Agreed, that looks sharp. For the money you’ll be hard pushed to find something similar. I was thinking IWC Portugieser, but a preowned example is probably twice the price. Longines Master collection maybe?

It’s a nice watch, recognisable name, good size, dressy enough for the occasion. Good choice IMO.

Journeyman
    Black Bay Chrono?

Craftsman
    As well as the Longines Master, Longines also do the Spirit Chronograph and the Avignation Chronograph.

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch...ograph-watches

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/p/wat...-l2-816-1-93-2

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/p/wat...-l3-820-4-93-6

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

If she’s looking for a dressy sports chrono at 3-4K, I’d consider this:

The integrated lug is quite different but otherwise fairly similar in dial design. I guess it depends on what it was about the TAG that she liked.

Alternatively. She could just get a time-only Carrera

Craftsman
    I like the watch you picked already, classic design.

I think people are missing that the budget is £3-4k and the Carrera chronograph is over £5k.

Longines or Tissot May have something similar.

Although the Carrera Chrono the OP mentioned is an attractive option. Those who watch Drive2Survive may recognise it as the ‘Horner’ watch of choice lately.

5% off should AD should easily be achievable maybe more.

As others have suggested best option would to make a few days of choosing between themselves, trying a few on. That way it will be a keeper

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Dressyish swiss chrono and well under budget

Or a Tudor

Not niche but as 3-4k you could get a second hand speedmaster on leather. Does it have to be new?

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I think people are missing that the budget is £3-4k and the Carrera chronograph is over £5k.
    Only £75 over budget at Swisswatchesdirect

https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...euer_02_(42mm)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Dressyish swiss chrono and well under budget

Or a Tudor
    That is a lovely looking watch. Good shout.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Hamilton Mechanical......

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Only £75 over budget at Swisswatchesdirect

https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...euer_02_(42mm)

Fair enough.

I think it would be best for her to take him shopping for one,he may have a brand in his head,he’s probably not a nerd like us and she rocks up with something he’s never heard of he probably won’t be chuffed.
    For all she knows he may think you can still get Rolex for that money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I think it would be best for her to take him shopping for one,he may have a brand in his head,he’s probably not a nerd like us and she rocks up with something he’s never heard of he probably won’t be chuffed.
    For all she knows he may think you can still get Rolex for that money.

Absolutely agree, if he doesn’t like what she buys it’s all going to be down to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Agreed, that looks sharp. For the money you’ll be hard pushed to find something similar. I was thinking IWC Portugieser, but a preowned example is probably twice the price. Longines Master collection maybe?
    Longines Master Collection is exactly what I was going to say. Well within (and indeed some under) budget. OP please do check those out.

Does it have to be a chrono?

If I was handed that amount to spend on a sixty year old the choice would start and end with a Cartier Tank Solo.

Master
    You have to remember that us 60 somethings thought TH were the business in our youth, my BIL did in fact buy himself a Carrera chrono when he retired. I did try to talk him out of it, but he wanted one for the above reason.
    For me, the watch originally posted is a good shout if that's what you like. It's not for me but the chaps wife must know what he likes and when he will wear it.
    I agree with the suggestion of making it a shopping trip with the caveat that they WILL spend more than their budget. We've all been there right?