closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from Ebay

Buying from Ebay

I’ve seen a nice Omega on EBay, seems cheaper than the others and seller has a good selling history of other smaller items (not watches) and good feedback.

It’s via the eBay authentication scheme. One question, does the authentication scheme pick up fakes and if it is then I’m guessing it’s no hassle getting a refund?

Anyone know?

I’ve used it (for sneakers) and yes that’s how it works. You buy the item, seller ships it to eBay for authentication, ebay ship it to you, or indeed if the watch isn’t as described, or fake, they will refund you and send the phoney watch back to the original seller.
    It’s a pretty quick process all told, and while I’m sure there are stories of the odd one slipping through, it’s certainly a lot safer than it was before. Buy the seller and all that.

Thanks it’s this one, very very basic description and rubbish pics but not a bad price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404421537...mis&media=COPY

Master
    I've never been worried about buying from ebay, generally best to buy the seller, decent feedback is usually a sign youre safe. The off-centre lume pip on that omega would have me running for the hills though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    The off-centre lume pip on that omega would have me running for the hills though.
    Maybe it's a bad angle. If not, it's unforgivable on a watch of this price point. I've only owned a planet ocean in the past, do Omega have form for this sort of thing?
    Last edited by amii21; 4th August 2023 at 18:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Maybe it's a bad angle. If not, it's unforgivable on a watch of this price point. I've only owned a planet ocean in the past, do Omega have form for this sort of thing?

Definitely a possibility, but on the pics I've zoomed on it looks like the surround is touching the right hand side and miles away from the left. It would be enough to put me off - although I appreciate a full set of papers negates a bit of the worry.

Stock image vs sellers pic of the dial close up;

Last edited by kevkojak; 4th August 2023 at 18:52.

It does look slightly off now you have mentioned it, emailed the seller to ask about it.

Seller says he bought it from Ernest Jones 2 years ago, and it goes through the eBay authentication scheme for extra protection I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    It does look slightly off now you have mentioned it, emailed the seller to ask about it.

Seller says he bought it from Ernest Jones 2 years ago, and it goes through the eBay authentication scheme for extra protection I suppose.

I reckon that's the key point. Hopefully anyone selling a moody watch wouldn't be daft enough to put it though ebay authentication. It's probably 100% legit and I'm being overly cautious. I was always told to look at that first though with omega and rolex especially. For some reason the dodgy ones were always just out.

Maybe ask the seller for a copy of the purchase receipt. If he/she doesn’t have the receipt maybe a copy of the transaction on his credit/ debit card statement.

I reckon that's the key point. Hopefully anyone selling a moody watch wouldn't be daft enough to put it though ebay authentication. It's probably 100% legit and I'm being overly cautious. I was always told to look at that first though with omega and rolex especially. For some reason the dodgy ones were always just out.
    I’ve just had to return a Seamaster for repair because the bezel was out. It was a fraction and I tried to kid myself it wasn’t but it was.

IMO eBay's authentication service is extremely limited. They wouldn't spot a good fake, only obvious howlers. Buy the seller, if you dare to use it for an expensive watch. And yes, the example above looks like a howler.

Craftsman
    I recently sold a watch on eBay and the authentication process was very quick. I was a little hesitant at first but eBay kept both fully informed at all stages.

For me, once it had left the authentication centre I was very happy that the responsibility has been passed to the buyer. Ie the watch was as described and that buyer would have difficulty challenging me otherwise.

Master
    Yeah, I think they give it a cursory once over and limited check. (I may be completely wrong)

However, the key for me is then it’s an eBay problem and you are not trying to chase the seller. It’s all on eBay to refund.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Maybe ask the seller for a copy of the purchase receipt. If he/she doesn’t have the receipt maybe a copy of the transaction on his credit/ debit card statement.
    Says he does actually have the original receipt as well.
    He’s going to send me more pics of the bezel as he says it’s definitely centered.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Yeah, I think they give it a cursory once over and limited check. (I may be completely wrong)

However, the key for me is then it’s an eBay problem and you are not trying to chase the seller. It’s all on eBay to refund.

That's my view, that the eBay authentication works to protect the seller, since the buyer can't claim they were sent a fake watch.

Journeyman
    I bought a PO-8900 / 2019 from Ebay for £2.6K.
    It was authenticated, but they didn't spot that it had a dodgy crown. It's no big deal, as it was a cheap fix, but it could have been something more serious.
    Still, I was happy with the price.

Clearly a business seller not registered as a business seller, selling bits and pieces of this and that… and then a £6.25k Omega.

What do they normally go for? Are they hard to get hold of? There must be safer ways to buy a Seamaster.

I think I would want the receipt. I always ask myself how the seller came by the item, it is chalk and cheese from their usual stuff. If it’s theirs then they should have the receipt. If it’s being sold on behalf of someone else or the seller took ownership some other way even if it’s authentic I wouldn’t risk it at that price.

they have been on ebay for about 7 months and prolifically sold cheap market stall tat and all of a sudden they have a £6K+ High end watch.
    Yeah great idea to buy that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    they have been on ebay for about 7 months and prolifically sold cheap market stall tat and all of a sudden they have a £6K+ High end watch.
    Yeah great idea to buy that lol.
    And that’s why I love this forum, always steers me and others in the right decision.
    I’m giving it a pass.

Definitely a possibility, but on the pics I've zoomed on it looks like the surround is touching the right hand side and miles away from the left. It would be enough to put me off - although I appreciate a full set of papers negates a bit of the worry.

Stock image vs sellers pic of the dial close up;

Looking at those photos the metal surround on the lime pip looks much thicker on the sellers Watch than on the stock pic!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    IMO eBay's authentication service is extremely limited. They wouldn't spot a good fake, only obvious howlers. Buy the seller, if you dare to use it for an expensive watch. And yes, the example above looks like a howler.

I'm not sure it is limited given that eBay are leaving themselves open to thousands of pounds worth of liability on every watch that is checked. You'd imagine they'd use competent staff trained to spot fakes.

There would be threads on here and elsewhere online calling them out if they weren't competent, they've been checking trainers for years, they seem to have navigated that ok.

I wouldn't worry too much about ebay authenticating it and then you being left with it if your not happy. If the lume pip is out and it doesn't state in the description that it's out then send it back to ebay.
    The PO I sold got authenticated, sent to the buyer, then returned to ebay as the warranty card wasn't stamped and the swing tag was missing. Ebay sided with the buyer as I didn't state in the description that the book wasn't stamped and the tag was missing.
    Blessing in disguise because I missed it the day I sent it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I'm not sure it is limited given that eBay are leaving themselves open to thousands of pounds worth of liability on every watch that is checked. You'd imagine they'd use competent staff trained to spot fakes.

There would be threads on here and elsewhere online calling them out if they weren't competent, they've been checking trainers for years, they seem to have navigated that ok.
    IMO means just that. There are very different levels of fake.

Bear in mind they have no choice if they sell a watch over a certain value on eBay, the authentication service is mandated. That one compared to the Omega website pic looks a bit shifty to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    I’ve used it (for sneakers) and yes that’s how it works. You buy the item, seller ships it to eBay for authentication, ebay ship it to you, or indeed if the watch isn’t as described, or fake, they will refund you and send the phoney watch back to the original seller.
    It’s a pretty quick process all told, and while I’m sure there are stories of the odd one slipping through, it’s certainly a lot safer than it was before. Buy the seller and all that.
    IME their service is a little more comprehensive, if they find something that isn't quite as described then they can highlight this to the buyer and allow them to decide on whether to proceed with the purchase or reject the item.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    IMO means just that. There are very different levels of fake.
    So what are you basing your opinion on? I've given the reasons I think they'll be pretty good at spotting fakes.

There seems to be little knowledge but lots of opinions surrounding this service.