closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnivore Diet

Carnivore Diet

Has anyone tried or have any experience with the Carnivore Diet. I have been following Carnivore for the past few weeks having been on the Keto diet since the begin June and so far have had amazing results.

My weight has dropped massively, energy levels are amazing and overall I feel great.

Grand Master
    Weird. Same thing happened to me when I stopped eating meat 5 years ago!

Horses for courses! Or rather horses for dinner
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Weird. Same thing happened to me when I stopped eating meat 5 years ago!

Horses for courses! Or rather horses for dinner
    Same here. Much more energy since I stopped eating meat.

Master
    I can't see how a high fat, high salt diet that excludes vegetables, pulses and seeds etc. can be very good for you.

But to answer the question: no.

Blog Entries
    That weight loss is often the result of not what you eat, but what you're NOT eating. We have discussed this a few times on the forum; carbs vs protein etc. The main advantage of keto is that it helps you to get rid of processed food.
    Carnivore diet is new to me. But my first reaction is: should you really consider this in a time / era of less meat consumption?

We are we in an era of less meat consumption?

Ill stick to my mainly meat diet thank you, but I still eat veg and healthy fats.

Not sure where salt comes into a carnivore diet, as stated above though.

I think people should eat whatever they feel like, and personally I believe the healthiest diet is a mix of meat and vegetables with as little processed food as possible.

It seems to me that a hell of a lot of vegetarian/plant based foods these days, or things supposedly sold as healthier options are the most processed foods available plant based protein powders, and omg - almond milk - how exactly do you milk an almond?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

It seems to me that a hell of a lot of vegetarian/plant based foods these days, or things supposedly sold as healthier options are the most processed foods available plant based protein powders, and omg - almond milk - how exactly do you milk an almond?
    It really is shocking when you start reading ingredient labels on how many ultra processed food we consume. What is presented as the healthier option/ alternative is quite often the worst as you state.

You only have to read up on what Dr Chris van Tulleken has been researching.

Fantastic diet with results that merely bring our bodies and minds back to where they used to / should be before BigFarmer decided profit was more important than our health.

We have been lied to re the food pyramid since the 50s, and the biggest crime was demonising saturated fat.

Reveses type 2 diabetes, autoimmune diseases, heart disease, inflammatory markers, known to kill cancer cells etc. Just not good for processed carb manufacturers and their friends in BigPharma.

Dr Shawn Baker on youtube is your man!
    Dont look back, youre not heading that way.

how exactly do you milk an almond?
    Presumably the same way as you milk oats or soya beans!

Blog Entries
    We are we in an era of less meat consumption?

Ill stick to my mainly meat diet thank you, but I still eat veg and healthy fats.

Not sure where salt comes into a carnivore diet, as stated above though.

I think people should eat whatever they feel like, and personally I believe the healthiest diet is a mix of meat and vegetables with as little processed food as possible.

It seems to me that a hell of a lot of vegetarian/plant based foods these days, or things supposedly sold as healthier options are the most processed foods available plant based protein powders, and omg - almond milk… - how exactly do you milk an almond?
    More and more people try to eat less meat or no meat at all. Given the rise of vegan meals on the restaurants' menus I would say that there's a demand for it. I am not comparing how healthy meat products vs vegan products are. And yes, I think that tofu burgers and other fancy vegan style food tastes like s**t. Someone asked me to try 'vegan bacon snippets'. It was like eating a chopped-up a kitchen sink towel (Disclaimer: I never ate a real kitchen sink towel, but you get the picture).

In my case, less meat leading to no meat, has more to do about awareness of animal cruelty etc. I cannot pet my dog and cats and spent fortunes on their well-being and on the other hand eat meat from animals lead to the slaugherhouse.

Back on topic: eating healthy food, mostly unprocessed (I buy my groceries at the local farmers' market) since I was hospitalized in November, has helped dropping my body weight with 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Fantastic diet with results that merely bring our bodies and minds back to where they used to / should be before BigFarmer decided profit was more important than our health.

We have been lied to re the food pyramid since the 50s, and the biggest crime was demonising saturated fat.

Reveses type 2 diabetes, autoimmune diseases, heart disease, inflammatory markers, known to kill cancer cells etc. Just not good for processed carb manufacturers and their friends in BigPharma.

Dr Shawn Baker on youtube is your man!
    Agree fully with this we have been lied to for years by the big food industries and pharmaceuticals.

Dr Shawn Baker, Dr Anthony Chaffee, Dr Ken D Berry and numerous others all seem to be saying the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    In my case, less meat leading to no meat, has more to do about awareness of animal cruelty etc. I cannot pet my dog and cats and spent fortunes on their well-being and on the other hand eat meat from animals lead to the slaugherhouse.
    Absolutely this. When you have a pet dog you quickly realise how intelligent they are. Then you discover the uncomfortable reality that pigs are as intelligent as dogs and it changes everything.

I did keto and it was by far the most effective diet I've ever done in terms of fast weight loss. It was a bit anti social though and I do like to cook and keto is restrictive (not much point having a pizza oven for example) so I'm now doing fasting instead, basically 22 hours fasting and a 2 hour feed window and that initially seems to be pretty effective and after the first couple of days you don't really feel hungry, just drink water.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Absolutely this. When you have a pet dog you quickly realise how intelligent they are. Then you discover the uncomfortable reality that pigs are as intelligent as dogs and it changes everything.
    Not for the dog. He'll cheerfully devour your pork leftovers till kingdom come.

The takeaway from this point seems like its OK to eat stupid animals. I guess cattle and sheep are still fair game?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    The takeaway from this point seems like its OK to eat stupid animals. I guess cattle and sheep are still fair game?
    Absolutely not at all I was just outlining my journey to vegetarianism which started with the realisation that a pig is as intelligent as my dog (RIP Lucy) so I shouldn't really be eating them. The empathy extends from there to include all animals in the food chain.

Master
    The two dogs I know 'well' are morons, by admission of their owners.

Master
    I tried it. Weight fell off at first, but hit a plateau after a couple of months and that was that. The weight came back twice as fast once the carbs came back.

I know it's a cliche thing to say, but the only thing that will work long term is a balanced diet, calorie counted, mixed with an exercise regime that you can maintain. Fad diets are great when they work (until the body gets used to it) then they do far more harm than good. That's from someone who's tried em all. Three stone off in the past year just from having a food diary on my phone to count calories and a walking app.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    The two dogs I know 'well' are morons, by admission of their owners.
    My Lucy was a Kelpie aka Australian Sheepdog. I can't even begin to tell you how clever she was.

Master
    It makes sense that a sheepdog would be a cut above.

Grand Master
    Whilst I dont eat meat I would be more likely to if the said meat had no human intervention in its rearing. Thats the bjt that steered me away from meat. Not just the animal welfare and morality of destroying the gift of life but the drug and chemical rearing process.

That said each to thier own and like smoking just crack on if it makes you happy
    RIAC

We eat a lot less meat as a family than we used to, not because of arguments about cruelty per se, but because of the impact that growing vast number of creatures for meat has on our environment.
    I strongly support the fact that our environment needs grazers in a balanced agriculture system, but it does not need massive sheds full of chickens being stuffed full, or thousands of acres given over to chemically maintained crops just to feed to cattle.
    Nor do our uplands need sheep who merely reduce the hills to a desert.
    I cook from basics for the 4 of us (almost) every day, and I use meat as the interest and flavour in many dishes, like bacon sprinkled over a salad, or chorizo in a bowl of llentejas.
    Meat is less often the mainstay of our meals, although we do still enjoy a steak every now and again. Which we buy from the local butcher.
    If we all moderated our meat intake a bit (less every day, or a day or two meat free in the week), it would make quite a difference.
    And our diet wouldn't suffer a bit.
    God forbid, we might even discover that there are meat-free meals we really enjoy. A decent veggie chillie is every bit as good as one con carne, for instance.

I had issues previously which were put down to multiple things including allergies and stress. I cut out a lot of processed stuff, ate a bit more meat (whole cuts) and eggs, cut out bread, swapped seed oils for butter, left a toxic job and all was magically cured.

Look at your poo and see what your body has trouble digesting. Try and recognise and link how you feel after specific foods.

The battle now is making the change a permanent behaviour but for me you cant beat high quality organic eggs. Best bang for buck out of any meal.

Spoon of organic local honey in the morning also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I had issues previously which were put down to multiple things including allergies and stress. I cut out a lot of processed stuff, ate a bit more meat (whole cuts) and eggs, cut out bread, swapped seed oils for butter, left a toxic job and all was magically cured.

Look at your poo and see what your body has trouble digesting. Try and recognise and link how you feel after specific foods.

The battle now is making the change a permanent behaviour but for me you cant beat high quality organic eggs. Best bang for buck out of any meal.

Spoon of organic local honey in the morning also helps.
    Is 'organic local honey' really available in London?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Youve made me second guess the organic part but this is where I go. I just changed from the small jars to the 1kg pots.

https://eppingforesthoney.com/

Youve made me second guess the organic part but this is where I go. I just changed from the small jars to the 1kg pots.

Yes, was curious about the organic bit. Unless the hives are away from urban areas and non-organic crops that can't really be guaranteed.

Generally buy local honey from farm shop - producer's name on label and often just few miles away.

Grand Master

Facebook marketplace is a goto. Helps with hayfever too allegedly .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

I've never tried it personally but I've known a couple of people who went on a Keto diet and lost a lot of weight.

I love my steaks etc but I have to have a bit of veg to accompany my meat.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Not for the dog. He'll cheerfully devour your pork leftovers till kingdom come.
    lol

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Pigs are much tastier than dogs, plus its much easier to get hold of pork.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    . A decent veggie chillie is every bit as good as one con carne, for instance.
    Hmmmmm.. not in my experience Im afraid.

Everything in moderation in my opinion. Apart from tofu. And any milk that doesnt come from an animal.

Wasn't this called the Atkins diet? Seemed to work but made your breath stink IIRC.

I'm lucky and never had to try a diet, just cook with fresh ingredients every day and keep a balance of meat, fish and veg. Meat is always organic and free range and only a couple of times a week.

I do like a beer or three though.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Pigs are much tastier than dogs, plus its much easier to get hold of pork..
    I wouldn't know and I would hope in all seriousness that you don't speak from experience on that front. I find pork tastes horrible but even if it tasted sublime that's not a reason to subject pigs to what we do imo.

There are of course, 'better' farming practices in the UK and not all of them are in the factory farmed horror show but they all eventually get loaded onto lorries and sent to slaughter and I just can't rest easy with that so I don't eat them or any other animals.

Blog Entries
    Organic Honey - I think there are quite strict rules on what can be labelled organic - bees forage on flowers upto a 3 mile radius from the hive - so bit tricky if the hive i in London. But support your local bee keepers and buy from your local markets.

Look out for processed honey that has been heat treated which destroys all the good enzymes etc - local bee keepers won't have heated their honey (unless it is for baking):

Here is a source online of some decent stuff:

e.g. https://realrawhoney.co.uk/

nicked from their blog post:

Beyond its culinary uses, raw honey has been used for centuries as a natural remedy. Raw honey was used in 500 among 900 Egyptian remedies.

Homemade cough syrup is always on hand, especially during the cold months – mix raw honey with lemon juice and ginger for a homemade cough syrup that can soothe your throat and calm your cough.

Honey Lemon Water – Refreshing glass of honey lemon water is the perfect way to start the day. Combining honey, lemon, and water helps detoxify your body, boost immunity, aid digestion and promote glowing skin. Just mix a tablespoon of raw honey and the juice of half a lemon into a glass of warm water and drink it first thing in the morning. You will feel energised, refreshed and ready to take on the day.

Honey for Sleep Aid – Honey and warm milk. Heat a glass of milk and add a spoonful of raw honey for a good night’s sleep. This traditional bedtime remedy can help you relax and sleep better. The best honey to use is Lavender, as it is known to act as a natural relaxant.

Wound healing – Raw honey’s antibacterial properties make it an effective remedy for minor burns, cuts and scrapes. Apply a thin layer to the affected area and cover it with a bandage.

OP - we have a friend who has gone carnivore, and has got a bit 'preachy' trying to convert us - except he likes his cakes so has a treat everytime we see him for breakfast. Last time we saw hime he had a milk smoothy and an ice cream!

Working hard looking after my bees in PT

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th July 2023 at 17:13.
    Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Helps with hayfever to allegedly .
    It doesnt: https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/...-for-hayfever/

.....but they all eventually get loaded onto lorries and sent to slaughter....
    I hate seeing lorries packed with livestock, hypocritical of me as I am a meateater I know.
    When I was a teenager I often worked weekends at a local farm. A local butcher would come round several times a year and he would butcher sheep and pigs in one of the barns. I often helped him, the deaths were quick and painless but would sound very gruesome if I described them. But the main thing for me was, the animals travelled on foot from their fields, on land they knew, to a barn they were familiar with, and weren't aware of anything going on until the last moment. Them being crammed onto lorries and all that ensues is difficult to think about.

Master
    I have allergic rhinitis but hate honey.
    Pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I hate seeing lorries packed with livestock, hypocritical of me as I am a meateater I know.
    When I was a teenager I often worked weekends at a local farm. A local butcher would come round several times a year and he would butcher sheep and pigs in one of the barns. I often helped him, the deaths were quick and painless but would sound very gruesome if I described them. But the main thing for me was, the animals travelled on foot from their fields, on land they knew, to a barn they were familiar with, and weren't aware of anything going on until the last moment. Them being crammed onto lorries and all that ensues is difficult to think about.
    I passed a lorry full of lambs today all pack in like sardines. Poor buggers.

I've no issue with the humane killing you describe.

I passed a lorry full of lambs today all pack in like sardines. Poor buggers.

I've no issue with the humane killing you describe.
    The more I'm thinking about it now, the more heartbreaking it is.

https://dashboard.commons.pacificu.e...5-75e6da2bc337

Particularly:

Results: Two randomized control trials met the inclusion criteria. One randomized, double blinded study published in 2013 demonstrated a statistically significant reduction of symptoms in the local honey group when compared to the control group. Another randomized, double blinded study published in 2002 demonstrated no therapeutic effect for either local honey or commercial honey in reducing symptoms of allergic rhinitis when compared to the control group.

Conclusion: The results from each study were contradictory. Both studies had limitations in design and methodology which reduced their quality of evidence. Overall quality of evidence is low. A weak recommendation can be made in support of using oral ingestion of local honey as an adjunct in treating symptoms of allergic rhinitis. There was no evidence of effect using commercial honey when compared to placebo. Further research in the form of large population RCTs is needed to validate the results presented by these studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I have allergic rhinitis but hate honey.
    Pity.
    Dont worry, eating all the honey that you could wont help with the hayfever.

As any fule kno, hayfever is caused by grass pollens. Bees dont pollinate grasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Dont worry, eating all the honey that you could wont help with the hayfever.

As any fule kno, hayfever is caused by grass pollens. Bees dont pollinate grasses.
    Except when hayfever is caused by tree pollen.

Except when hayfever is caused by tree pollen.
    🤦🏻*♂️ Hayfever is caused by wind-borne pollen. Bees do not deal with wind-borne pollen.

Therefore, there is no wind-borne pollen (be it from grasses or certain trees) in honey. Therefore, eating honey is not going to help with hayfever.

Hows that? Clear enough for you?

Carnivore Diet

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    🤦🏻*♂️ Hayfever is caused by wind-borne pollen. Bees do not deal with wind-borne pollen.

Therefore, there is no wind-borne pollen (be it from grasses or certain trees) in honey. Therefore, eating honey is not going to help with hayfever.

Hows that? Clear enough for you?
    I was always clear, thanks - just correcting your assertion that hay-fever is only caused by grass pollen.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 29th July 2023 at 09:42.

As a horrendous hayfever sufferer I can confirm that local honey helps symptoms is complete bunkum

Coincidentally, I'm just back from a local speciality butcher laden with biltong, chilli sticks and droewors...and the name of the butcher? - Carnivore
    Also coincidentally, my brother has been over from foreign climes and he's on a pretty strict steak and green veg diet - he's lost loads of weight (helped by also cutting out beer).

Got friends coming over for bbq later. 4 sirloins and some lamb chops collected over lunchtime.

Normally get our meat from my in-laws via his commercial butcher so hadnt realised there is a difference between lamb chops and best end lamb chops. Almost twice the price. Could have cried at the till.

Got friends coming over for bbq later. 4 sirloins and some lamb chops collected over lunchtime.

Normally get our meat from my in-laws via his commercial butcher so hadnt realised there is a difference between lamb chops and best end lamb chops. Almost twice the price. Could have cried at the till.
    Good quality isn't cheap, I am buying grass fed ribeye beef sourced from small independent farms. The local independent butchers near me purchase the whole animal and prepare the cuts in store.

Defiantly pricy but worth it, I would post some images of this weeks cuts I got but would not want to offend any non meat eaters.

Master
    https://www.johndavidsons.com

My current meat vendor of choice, so much flavour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://thesmallherd.co.uk/about

This is mine currently.