closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How a 9K watch of mine vanished.

Master

How a 9K watch of mine vanished.

On the 9th July a chap had arranged collection of a cd player I’d sold him by DPD. Same day a watch was to be collected also but by DHL.
    The DPD driver scanned both parcels and took them away.It wasn’t until the afternoon that a DHL chap arrived and I realised that DPD had taken it.
    DPD didn’t want to discuss it with me as I wasn’t the “account holder”.
    I asked the account holder ( the chap who arranged the cd collection to contact DPD who admitted they had the package containing the watch (the driver had photo’s both packages in my doorway) but couldn’t locate it as it was a DHL barcode. Other than an acknowledgment to the account holder that they were looking for it - they had a clear photo of the package with the DHL label - I’ve heard nowt.
    This other chap is stuck in the middle of a dispute between DPD and myself.
    Anyone an idea of how long it takes until they agree it’s lost? Or should I start taking up the legal advice on my house insurance pdq. I’m sure getting the compensation will be like getting blood from a stone.
    However they scanned and accepted a parcel without authorisation.
    I’m not too happy…..

Master
    If they can’t scan it because it’s not their bar code how were they able to accept it into their process?

Sorry to hear of the situation.

Much sympathy; we have all been there etc; but who handed a parcel destined for DHL to a DPD operative?

Master
    Sorry to hear of that situation. Good luck with resolving it too.

Easy mistake to make I guess, but would have thought they should have spotted it wasn't their label when they scanned it.

This does not make sense, one does not simply hand a £9000 parcel to the wrong company. Company scans a parcel that is not theirs and then loses it. This sounds really dodgy to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Much sympathy; we have all been there etc; but who handed a parcel destined for DHL to a DPD operative?
    Muggins ie me. However the scanner should have rejected it as they did in the warehouse.

Master
    I would have thought the DPD driver would have been sent to collect 1 and no 2 parcels -

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Muggins ie me. However the scanner should have rejected it as they did in the warehouse.
    Yeah, that's where the much sympathy kicks in. I dare say we have all done something that was the result of a moment's thoughtlessness that we lived to regret.
    Still this one should hopefully be resolveable. It should come down to an interrogation of the operative (and his scanner) who wrongly accepted it, and the failure of the scanning system to identify that it was not for them to collect.

Driver scans it, realises it's not for him but the customer doesn't see that status so decides it can easily be "lost in the system", and walzes off with it to try his luck?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Driver scans it, realises it's not for him but the customer doesn't see that status so decides it can easily be "lost in the system", and walzes off with it to try his luck?
    I do hope you’re wrong but you may have just hit the nail on the head

Would the package have some sort of declaration as to contents or value easily seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Tbh, that’s the only scenario that makes any sense. However, it seems to have been declared in some way by the driver given that DPD have acknowledged it’s existence. It’s a real puzzle.

The couriers all have different bar codes and as far as I know don’t work across systems. My guess would be that the driver scanned the DPD parcel, that registered, scanned the second without looking, didn’t check to see if it registered and took both thinking they were both for DPD. It will have got as far as your local depot and will now be sat there as it can’t go through the system with an incorrect bar code. Ordinarily I would say take a trip to your local depot and collect it from them with proof of ID including the destination address. However I have a feeling that DPD, until recently at least, don’t allow public access to their sites where as DHL do.
    P.s. don’t rely on any courier customer service phone line conversations, the vast majority are rubbish - personal experience.

I was supposed to receive a laptop from work via DHL the other month.. instead 2 sets of breast implants arrived.. still no sign of the laptop and no one wants these implants back..

Best of luck with recovering the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rapid View Post
    I was supposed to receive a laptop from work via DHL the other month.. instead 2 sets of breast implants arrived.. still no sign of the laptop and no one wants these implants back..
    PM sent 🤣

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was the Watch insured with DHL .for the full 9k or with a third party ie Securus, if so I cannot see you getting anywhere with a claim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Was the Watch insured with DHL .for the full 9k or with a third party ie Securus, if so I cannot see you getting anywhere with a claim.
    The watch was fully insured with DHL. DPD took it unauthorised.

Master
    DPD took it unauthorised.
    To be fair you gave it to them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    To be fair you gave it to them
    I gave it to them to scan. It should have been rejected is my argument.

I think you need to involve the police.

The watch was fully insured with DHL.
    Since the watch was gone before DHL arrived, I think that's not going to be much good to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Since the watch was gone before DHL arrived, I think that's not going to be much good to you.
    This is true. My beef is with DPD accepting a parcel that the depot scanners then rejected.
    I’ll give them a few more days then call in the cavalry ie the legal option on the insurance. See what comes out in the wash.

What a costly mistake to make, especially on such a high-value item. Fingers crossed you get lucky.

Did you place the item in the couriers hands, or did they pick up something they weren't invited to take?

The watch was fully insured with DHL. DPD took it unauthorised.
    Didn’t realise they would insure such a watch.

Master
    Did you place the item in the couriers hands, or did they pick up something they weren't invited to take?
    The photo the delivery chap took shows both items on the floor. Tbh can’t remember but what I do know is that it was scanned and then accepted.

If a courier picks up something that they are not invited to take they are in violation of the courier code and the courieric council could sentence them to be executed by exposure to a warehouse full of prohibited items and courteously parked vans.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Sympathise with you, but the fault is surely yours. Hope it works out for you, but if it’s ‘lost’ I don’t fancy your odds with the insurance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Didn’t realise they would insure such a watch.

About £135 for 9k cover according to their condition’s 1.5% of the value

Master
    The watch was going to Subdial who arranged the collection with dhl, fully insured. Not their problem though.

Master
    The watch was going to Subdial who arranged the collection with dhl, fully insured. Not their problem though.
    They will have third party insurance, probably with TH March, etc.

DHL in their fine print tell you. they do not cover watches of this value.

Anyway, that is besides the point now.

You will rely on DPD goodwill to recover this, or I would suggest take serious action now ASAP, don't give it a few days...it was effectively 'stolen' if pictures were taken on the floor, does that mean you left them out and the courtier just took them from the floor?

Master
    Do you have any DPD reference you can send me?

Hopefully it is returned to you. I would have expected the courier to say sorry I cannot take that one.

Master
    DPD told the “account holder” it’s probably in the depot somewhere but it seems without a bar code they’re stumped. Eye’s don’t seem relevant to these companies. I’m not sure if they know the value even.

DPD told the “account holder” it’s probably in the depot somewhere but it seems without a bar code they’re stumped. Eye’s don’t seem relevant to these companies. I’m not sure if they know the value even.
    Are you a 100% sure the ‘account holder’ is being totally honest and not just bagged a free watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

You will rely on DPD goodwill to recover this, or I would suggest take serious action now ASAP, don't give it a few days...it was effectively 'stolen' if pictures were taken on the floor, does that mean you left them out and the courtier just took them from the floor?
    Don't imagine it was 'stolen'. Door opened, parcels pointed out, photos taken and picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    About £135 for 9k cover according to their condition’s 1.5% of the value
    Why are people endlessly discussing insurance with Securus and such like if it's this simple?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Are you a 100% sure the ‘account holder’ is being totally honest and not just bagged a free watch?
    No chance - the account holder is just the poor chap who arranged the collection of another parcel which got to him the next day. It’s all a bit complicated I know…

Master

Why are people endlessly discussing insurance with Securus and such like if it's this simple?
    It’s really not. But let’s not derail the thread further.

Good luck OP in getting your watch back.

It’s really not. But let’s not derail the thread further.
    Well why not simply say why not?

The thread isn't going anywhere.

Master
    Well why not simply say why not?

The thread isn't going anywhere.
    Google DHL forbidden items. You will see the below. Plenty of threads on this so trying not to be a scratched record. That’s why!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    PM sent 🤣
    Biggest lol of the day.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Google DHL forbidden items. You will see the below. Plenty of threads on this so trying not to be a scratched record. That’s why!

Yes, that's what I thought for insurers generally but OP claimed it was insured...

That's why I commented.

Master
    Yes, that's what I thought for insurers generally but OP claimed it was insured...

That's why I commented.
    See my post above. They will have a third party insurance such as TH March. All decent dealers have this sort of cover.

Anyway, back on topic.

See my post above. They will have a third party insurance such as TH March. All decent dealers have this sort of cover.

Anyway, back on topic.
    Okay, thanks and good luck OP!

Master
    Sorry to sound naive as I don’t think I’ve ever had a DHL parcel collected, but are the couriers not in DHL uniforms? Usually DPD couriers wear their own uniforms and have DPD vans. Only international courier I’ve used before is UPS and I know they always have couriers with their uniform on.

Good luck OP

Master
    Two issues seem pertinent -

1) How to maximise the chance that DPD will locate the item at their depot when it's not been scanned and tracked in their system. Possibly letting the depot manager know that there a £500 reward for the finder?

2) Which insurer, if any, carries the liability for the loss. On the face of things, the OPs household insurer would be on the hook, but they may claim the OP was negligent in not taking ‘reasonable care’ of the watch.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 22nd July 2023 at 18:35.

What watch is it out of interest?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    What watch is it out of interest?
    JLC Polaris Boutique Edition. March 23.
    Last edited by Slamdoor; 22nd July 2023 at 20:47.

Jesus! I'd be crying if I realised I handed over a £20 and only received change for a fiver after a night out.

Good luck OP but the courier network blackhole is a powerful force.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It works both ways, they gave me a parcel that wasn't mine (without my glasses on I couldn't read the label).

When I eventually got through on the phone they wouldnt discuss it/collect it or notify anyone as I wasn't the account holder FFS.

In the end I went and delivered it myself for which I didnt even receive a thank you and he practically slammed the door in my face.

I hope you get the watch Back, I would ask for copy's of the photos that has to help in some way at least with proof.

JLC Polaris Boutique Edition. March 23.
    I love that watch. Sorry to hear about your troubles OP and hope it gets resolved.