closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Open Championship at Hoylake

Cool Open Championship at Hoylake

Course looks incredible after some clever changes by Martin Ebert and I’m loving the early coverage on day 1.

Not got a clue who will win as a) it depends on the weather and/or b) the Open form book is notoriously fickle with any of the top 50 players being true contenders.

Would love see Rory finally get it over the line after 9 years but if not Rory it’d be great to see Tommy Fleetwood or Ricky Fowler take it.

Will be interesting to see how the scoring is on the new 17th hole after the criticism by Billy.

So far so good for most golfers with just one treble bogey and lots of pars and a few birdies.

I’m sure that will change if the wind picks up.

Otherwise if Rory doesn’t do it I'm with you and would love Fleetwood to lift the Claret Jug. He just seems such a decent bloke as well as a classy golfer.

Anyone but a faceless, born again apple pie American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smokey99; 20th July 2023 at 15:27.

Master
    I like Fleetwood but I've got my doubts about his bottle though would love to be proved wrong.
    Agree about the course. Looks fantastic.
    I think they're trying to create another "postage stamp" at 17.

Looks like it could be a wet and windy weekend which might favour a British or Irish golfer.

Master
    I’d take Rory, Tommy or Rickie too. Be great to see any of them win :-)

Master
    I had a small flutter on Rickie and Viktor Hovland. Would be delighted to see fleetwood win too. Has been a fascinating first day!

Got tickets for Sunday and cannot wait! I love Hoylake and I will certainly be spending some time watching the 17th (potentially from under a brolly).

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Will be interesting to see how the scoring is on the new 17th hole after the criticism by Billy.

Anyone but a faceless, born again apple pie American.

Billy is a fine bag man, but that’s it. He’s not a golf course designer or golf pro but he does like the sound of his own voice/opinion. For me the 17th hole looks fantastic and Martin Ebert knows what he’s doing in producing that hole and it’ll play it’s part Sunday afternoon.

But I totally agree, and I pray that Billy Bob Sunvisor III Junior doesn’t fluke it……..

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 17th, it's the same for all the players at the end of the day!!
    Weather could play a part on the weekend but don't think it's anything to drastic between the morning / afternoon players going out.
    Would like to see Tommy win it, would be a popular winner.
    Can see one or two big guns making a move today, maybe Brooks and Reed.
    Cameron Smith also needs a good round today to get back into contention.

Looks brutal. Tomorrows weather should thin out the Americans?

Master
    Harman was absolutely superb today. Incredible round of golf

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Harman was absolutely superb today. Incredible round of golf

I’m hoping for him to fall back into the field as he’s a desperately dull golfer to watch. Until he takes his hat off as he’s got one of the worst ever hat suntans going!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I’m hoping for him to fall back into the field as he’s a desperately dull golfer to watch. Until he takes his hat off as he’s got one of the worst ever hat suntans going!!
    Not quite sure how you would even begin to deem that round of golf as “dull” but each to their own. His eagle on 18 was incredible.

I guess the weather is going to make it a lottery from now on in though so you may well get your wish!

Surely not as bad as Stuart Cink?

Not quite sure how you would even begin to deem that round of golf as “dull” but each to their own. His eagle on 18 was incredible.

I guess the weather is going to make it a lottery from now on in though so you may well get your wish!
    Maybe read my post again. I didn’t say his round of golf yesterday was boring (it was clearly a stellar round) but HE is a dull, boring player to watch. When he eagled the 18th yesterday he showed all the emotion of someone who had just found a missing paper clip called “Colin” for his favourite collection……😆

But yes the weather is really going to test the entire field today.

Red face

Surely not as bad as Stuart Cink?

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1371215547862487042

Master
    Maybe read my post again. I didn’t say his round of golf yesterday was boring (it was clearly a stellar round) but HE is a dull, boring player to watch. When he eagled the 18th yesterday he showed all the emotion of someone who had just found a missing paper clip called “Colin” for his favourite collection……😆

But yes the weather is really going to test the entire field today.
    Oh right. Well you got me with the thumbs down to my post!

Going to be a great day and a major test of golf for them all

Oh right. Well you got me with the thumbs down to my post!

Going to be a great day and a major test of golf for them all
    Apologies for the “thumbs down” Peck.

Enjoy the golf today 👍

Today and tomorrow is really going to sort the men out from the boys.

Keeping radio silence in the day and really enjoying watching the highlights on BBC in the late evening.

My money was and is on Fleetwood, but I can’t see him calling back 5 shots, maybe 1 or 2.

Ah well maybe next time.

Open Championship at Hoylake

I’m sure Mr Harman is a nice fella and clearly an accomplished golfer but the Open does throw up some very unsatisfying champions……if he holds on of course.

Todd Hamilton. Ben Curtis. Stuart Cink.

All forgettable or memorable for the wrong reasons in the case of Cink.

Last edited by smokey99; 22nd July 2023 at 13:35.

Rahm just tore up the links with a 63 that could have easily been a 61. The course is there for the taking and the big guns are going to eat into Harmans lead this afternoon…..

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    My money was and is on Fleetwood, but I can’t see him calling back 5 shots, maybe 1 or 2.

Ah well maybe next time.
    That’s a bit premature with 36 holes left!!

And all of a sudden the 5 shot lead is 3 shots. Be surprised if he’s leading by more than 1 shot by end of the day.

Perfect example of great commentary just now on Harman and his “waggles”

“that’s Sergio esque”

Absolutely what I was thinking as the round went on. Be good to see the gap being 3 shots at most by the end of the round and then game on tomorrow. Putter not behaving for Tommy or Rors unfortunately 😬

Thumbs up

And all of a sudden the 5 shot lead is 3 shots. Be surprised if he’s leading by more than 1 shot by end of the day.

Good job I’m playing tomorrow as if it looks like a Harman snore fest I’d rather give it miss 🙃

Good job I’m playing tomorrow as if it looks like a Harman snore fest I’d rather give it miss 🙃
    Yep fair play to Mr Harman. He’s been pretty faultless but so far his consistency is ruining what could be an amazing finish.

Still a lot could wrong in between the ears when the real pressure is on.

I’ll be on A1M for 5 hours from London to Newcastle so hopefully it miss much!

Seems like it will be a non event today now, would take an absolute howler for Harman to lose it now.

Weather is just awful today…..

Craftsman
    Nails performance today from Brian Harman - congrats to him.

What a thoroughly damp, dreary end to The Open.

Congratulations to Harman but it was so disappointing that none of the leading lights could mount any kind of sustainable challenge but (as often happens with the key protagonist’s) they were just not up to the job. I don’t understand how players like Rory, Tommy and Jason don’t cut loose and go all guns blazing in such situations on the last day……nothing to lose, so just go for it!!

I’m especially disappointed in Rory. He really needs a proper, professional caddy on the bag and to get his head straight too.

What a thoroughly damp, dreary end to The Open.

Congratulations to Harman but it was so disappointing that none of the leading lights could mount any kind of sustainable challenge but (as often happens with the key protagonist’s) they were just not up to the job. I don’t understand how players like Rory, Tommy and Jason don’t cut loose and go all guns blazing in such situations on the last day……nothing to lose, so just go for it!!

I’m especially disappointed in Rory. He really needs a proper, professional caddy on the bag and to get his head straight too.
    Agree, but with 32 putts your never going to win anything, Rory has to sort it out it must be killing him?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Agree, but with 32 putts your never going to win anything, Rory has to sort it out it must be killing him?

I think that putting stat was what killed him as much as anything

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

I think that putting stat was what killed him as much as anything
    Exactly. Harman put on a golfing masterclass over the 4 days and there was no one in the field that could stick with him in Liverpool. Pretty simple really

Exactly. Harman put on a golfing masterclass over the 4 days and there was no one in the field that could stick with him in Hoylake. Pretty simple really
    FTFY. Liverpool is a good 10 miles away…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Depends to some extent on how many greens you're hitting and how close. Harman was no 1 in strokes gained putting, McIlroy 38th. Tee to green Harman 17th, McIlroy 2nd. Drive for show, putt for dough...