closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £250 Apple AirPod Pros - failed after 14 months

£250 Apple AirPod Pros - failed after 14 months

I've had some £250 Apple AirPod Pros for about14 months. They've just failed, - the case is not charging the ear-buds so they are now useless.

Visit the store, - they won't help me as it's out of warranty. I haven't got many Apple products, but I was under the impression that Apple produce premium products, I would expect a premium £250 pair of ear-buds to last more than 14 months. I would also expect premium products to come with good customer service.

I was very surprised that the would not offer any good-will at all, - I actually found the representive in the Kingston store to be quite rude and somewhat passive aggressive.

I have had products replaced before which were out of warranty, as I understand there is still an expectation that a product should last a reasonable amount of time.

Very disappointed with Apple. I will now start the complaints procedure to HQ as I am not happy with how I have been treated, and of course hugely unhappy with this 'premium' product.

I don't own many Apple products so it was really interesting to see how Apple handle complaints, and even more interesting to experience such an early fault in what I assumed was a premium product.

Blog Entries
    Who did you buy them from - even Apple says you can take a case under consumer rights law up to 6 years from purchase:

(Historically I have had help from Apple Support that covered a phone that would not charge - replaced once they had tried all options at the authorised repair shop)

Summary of Consumer Laws, the Apple Limited Warranty, the AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+.
    Consumer Laws in the United Kingdom Apple Warranty AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+
    Claim period England and Wales: 6 years from date of delivery
    Scotland: 5 years from date of delivery
    2 years from date of purchase for Apple Watch Edition
    1 year from date of purchase for all other Apple products
    Up to 3 years from date of purchase of AppleCare+ for Mac- or Apple-branded display, Apple TV or Apple Watch Edition
    Up to 2 years from date of purchase of AppleCare+ for iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple Watch, HomePod or Apple- and Beats-branded headphones
    Up to 3 years from Apple TV purchase date for AppleCare Protection Plan for Apple TV
    Cost of coverage Statutory rights at no additional cost Included at no additional cost Available for additional cost
    How to make a claim Call or visit your seller 2 Call Apple support 1or visit an Apple Retail Store or Apple-Authorized Service Provider Call Apple Support 2 or visit an Apple Retail Store or Apple-Authorized Service Provider
    Included repair or replacement options Contact the seller for details Carry-in or mail-in3 Carry-in or mail-in for all devices; express replacement service for Apple TV, Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone (excluding screen-only damage), HomePod, and Apple- and Beats- branded headphones; or onsite service for Mac and Apple-branded display3

AppleCare+ is an insurance product which provides up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage every 12 months, each subject to an excess fee.
    Repair or replacement outside country of purchase Contact the seller for details Yes4 Yes4
    Technical support5 Contact the seller for details 2 years from date of purchase for Apple Watch Edition
    90 days from date of purchase for all Apple products
    Up to 3 years from date of
    purchase of AppleCare+ for Mac- or Apple-branded display, Apple TV or Apple Watch Edition
    Up to 2 years from date of
    purchase of AppleCare+ for iPad,
    iPhone, iPod, Apple Watch, Homepod or Apple- or Beats-branded headphones
    Up to 3 years from Apple TV purchase date for AppleCare Protection Plan for Apple TV
    The above summary is subject to the full terms and conditions applicable to the Apple Limited Warranty, AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+. Copies of those respective terms and conditions are available at apple.com/uk/legal/warranty/ and apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 19th July 2023 at 20:05.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I had a set that developed a fault after 2 years. Replaced under warranty. Bought from Apple online. Don’t fall for the old “the manufacturers warranty is up” line which does not trump U.K. law, which requires goods to give reasonable service. 14 months is way short of the life expectancy of a pair of ear buds

Sale of goods act 2015 means you have 6 years to claim for manufacturing defects.

I did it with a HP laptop. It had one year warranty and the hinge failed after 2 years. Loads of similar cases in the internet.

I called them citing the SOGA 2015 and they told me to bog off.

So, I sent them a letter to notify legal action through the small claims court. Two days later I had customer services fawning all over me to solve the problem and provide a free £300 repair.

The laptop was collected and returned less than a week later with a whole new hinge set and screen. They followed up weeks after to ensure I was satisfied.

So either roll over, or put a bit of effort to beat the barstewards. I still have the letters I sent, so PM me if you want guidance on how to start the small claim process.

Only do it if you believe you have a good case, and mine was rock solid given hundreds of similar failures described across the internet.

It was very satisfying to have a company eating out of my hand after they had told me to fcuk off.

I usually buy from JL rather than Amazon due to JL having 2 year warranty included in the price. I have just checked Apple Air Pods and states 2 year warranty.

I would contact JL online.

I had an issue with Bose headphones and it was all done via WhatsApp which sounds a bit rubbish, but the return and exchange went through perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I usually buy from JL rather than Amazon due to JL having 2 year warranty included in the price. I have just checked Apple Air Pods and states 2 year warranty.

I would contact JL online.

I had an issue with Bose headphones and it was all done via WhatsApp which sounds a bit rubbish, but the return and exchange went through perfectly.

Why would he contact JL?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why would he contact JL?
    That’s a very good point. I obviously didn’t read properly!

Sorry this happened. Personally I think a good chunk of the apple premium is to cover branding/marketing/kudos.

Certainly not bad quality, but not really any better than all the others

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    What’s the failure issue ?

I’ve been on to the Apple chat for 70 minutes today over a pair of AirPod pro’s. When I put them in my ears I get a wave sea shell sound that fades after about 10 seconds but comes and goes occasionally.

I’ve googled and Apple are replacing all of the AirPod pro Generation 1 due to a fault but you have to raise the issue with them.

I’ve got to go in Saturday now for a test then a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

I’ve been on to the Apple chat for 70 minutes today over a pair of AirPod pro’s. When I put them in my ears I get a wave sea shell sound that fades after about 10 seconds but comes and goes occasionally.

I’ve googled and Apple are replacing all of the AirPod pro Generation 1 due to a fault but you have to raise the issue with them.

This happens to me and I thought it was just normal - if they replace them then let me know

£250 Apple AirPod Pros - failed after 14 months

I totally get paying the Apple tax for an iPhone, and I have one myself. The beautiful functionality is worth the hundred on pounds more in the purchase price.

But for headphones, I don’t think they warrant paying the same allegiance to the Apple tax, especially if this is the service people are getting when the product is just out of warranty.

Take the pods to one of the big stores in central London and try again. I bet you just got a jobsworth first time.

If they give you grief mention the sale of goods act and how products are expected to last more than 14 months.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Thanks for posting- I have that same issue on the right pod.

Really appreciate the info and help!

It's a little more complicated as my work brought me the ear-buds, - they have now told me who they purchased them through (XMA Ltd), - I will contact them in the first instance, if no joy I will happily start a small claim against Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    I will contact them in the first instance, if no joy I will happily start a small claim against Apple.
    If you need to go that route, your small claim will with XMA (not Apple) as that is who your sales contract is with.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If you need to go that route, your small claim will with XMA (not Apple) as that is who your sales contract is with.
    Many thanks 👍

Just received a reply from XMA

I am sorry to hear your Airpods have failed.
    This would be considered a business to business transaction rather than consumer, so in this case you would need to speak to Apple.
    We are contracted to supply with the usual 1 year warranty offered by Apple. I don’t really understand why they would tell you it is 2 years via whoever you purchased from.
    Sorry I can’t offer more advice on this, it’s one year with us too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    Just received a reply from XMA

I am sorry to hear your Airpods have failed.
    This would be considered a business to business transaction rather than consumer, so in this case you would need to speak to Apple.
    We are contracted to supply with the usual 1 year warranty offered by Apple. I don’t really understand why they would tell you it is 2 years via whoever you purchased from.
    Sorry I can’t offer more advice on this, it’s one year with us too.
    I’d explain the situation to your work - perhaps they would get you another pair as a good will gesture- and they claim again the supplier?

Maybe someone else can advise on B2B as you as the individual was “gifted” the items from your business? Or did you buy them from your employer?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th July 2023 at 11:59.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Work brought them for me as a little Xmas gift :)

After speaking to Citizens advice I have emailed XMA Ltd:

'Sale of goods act covers business to business implied terms of contract in that it matches it's description, is fit for purpose, and is of satisfactory quality. However, these implied terms can be excluded from a business contract if they are in the Terms & Conditions. Can you please point me to your T&C’s which exclude this please?'

CA also told me that the contract is with the person who made the purchase, - so after the response to this email, I will completely throw it back at the company. As you say, they might just give me another pair to shut me up 🤣

What a carry on! Bring back the 3.5mm jack and a pair of JVC gummies for £5.99!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

We had a very similar issue with a 3.5 year old iPad Pro that failed. It went back and forth many times by email but ended with the sales of good act quoted just like Martyn JC posted and they replaced within 24 hours. Sad that it had to get so snotty as I have always previously received excellent customer service from Apple.