closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday watch suggestions

Master

Holiday watch suggestions

I find myself without a Steinhart ocean this year and they are what I generally take on hols with me. Parameters are under £300, smart enough for evenings out and good for pool duty. Decent lume and on a bracelet. Now, discounting orient and Seiko, any suggestions would be appreciated :0)

Casio Oceanus? Great holiday watch I think.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/ocw-s100-1ajf

I know you have a CW or two, and maybe a diver? Perfect holiday watch on orange rubber.

And the GMT function is slightly useful, even if I am only on a +2 hour time difference.

Under £300 is tough ask for all that you want unless you go used.*

Tissot Seastar seem an obvious call - love my quartz chrono, but ~£300 could get you a used Seastar 1000 auto (plenty about on bracelets) -

At £389 Sternglas' Marus is good VFM brand new -

* Edit: talking out of my a--- as usual - Timex, Casio, Glycine, Citizen, Sekonda, Fossil, Rotary, Smiths (duh, obviously), Accurist, Bulov, Dugena, Spinnaker and no doubt dozens of others could easily fit the bill...
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 19th July 2023 at 17:22. Reason: B'cos DERP!

A WTB would probably snag you a Baby Dreadnought at your budget, ace watch built like a tank 300m depth rating.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I had this dilemma for an upcoming holiday. I couldn’t reconcile a watch I could truly not give a damn about, price and good looking for the evening.

My solution was to suppress my gag reflex and buy a casioak, then put it on a hideous nato for pool and daytime excursion wear.

I hate it so if it gets battered, drowns or is stolen I won’t care a jot.

For evenings, restaurants, shows, etc. I have bought a Radiomir-a-like from those nice Aliexpress people for £80

It is rather large so may not suit all if that’s the case I’d suggest something like the lacz Denton Polo-a-like. A rather elegant thing that is a tad small for my wrist but I like it anyway.

Here in an inexpensive Barton rubber strap.
    Either way your total investment will be well under 300 even under 200 if you buy wisely. And neither watch will pose financial or emotional ruin if it’s lost, stolen or broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Baby Dreadnought is a great option, as are a few time factors. Hamilton khaki field would be on my shortlist they are over budget but always on sale somewhere.

This is my go to, the only watch I ever take, 200m water resistance, fantastic lume, true travel GMT, sapphire crystal and a super comfy rubber strap. I am sure you could get one for £300 used or there about. The stainless comes on a bracelet with on the fly adjustment (if I remember correctly)

That said you may need to replace the capacitor if has not been worn regularly. It is a seiko though so I guess that discounts it.
    It would be the last watch I would get rid of as a result of all the memories I have associated with it.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th July 2023 at 20:17.

This caught my eye as a holiday watch, and almost meets your criteria! I don’t own one, so can’t share first-hand experience, but seemed like a decent candidate on first sight…

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/t1204101104100.html

Master
    My holiday watch last year was a CWC diver. I wore it on a NATO most of the time and on a leather strap if I felt I wanted to be a bit smarter. Of course I sold it, missed it, and then bought it back so I could use it as my holiday watch this year. :)

To the OP, I think a number of the Seiko's that have been suggested would be ideal. Or a second hand Everest wouldn't be a bad option.

Master
    Some excellent suggestions, many thanks :0)

Can't help feeling that I'll just buy another steiny though...

The lookylikey Tuna on SC.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    You don't seem averse to a homage so how about San Martin? Their VFM is ludicrously good.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    You don't seem averse to a homage so how about San Martin? Their VFM is ludicrously good.
    Beat me to it. Just got one and I'm absolutely blown away by what you get for the money.

https://watchdives.com/en-gb/collect...n-martin-watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Beat me to it. Just got one and I'm absolutely blown away by what you get for the money.

https://watchdives.com/en-gb/collect...n-martin-watch
    Another vote for SM here - this is my holiday watch for 2023.

Having recently purchased a G-Shock Casioak Metal I would say consider one of them. This one looks a bargain at Jura, I wish I had seen it before purchasing mine!

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...gm-2100bb-1aer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Another vote for SM here - this is my holiday watch for 2023.
    That's nice 👍👍👍

3 hours into the ferry journey at the start of 2.5wks holiday. This should serve well enough.

t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journeyman
    My holiday watch choices:

Craftsman
    Maybe not for everyone, but I take my 16600 on all my holidays. I can pop it on the wrist and not be concerned that it won't be able to handle what ever get's thrown at it. The bracelet is super comfortable in hot climates and it's perfectly wearable if you want to go out somewhere a little more extravagant in the evenings.

That said Senraw's snowflake homage would also fit the bill nicely if value is a concern.

Last edited by Spesh; 23rd July 2023 at 17:46.