closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s Barbecue season, what are you cooking?

It’s Barbecue season, what are you cooking?

We have Pizza thread to show off our cooks, so I thought why not start a similar thread for Barbecue fans.

I’ll set the ball rolling with some of my favourites:-

1. Homemade Lamb Donar Kebab.

2. A medium-rare reverse seared Tomahawk steak.

3. Chicken Shawarma.

Let’s see your cooks.

That all looks amazing, we’ll done 👍🏻

As for it being BBQ season, not here in the constant July and August rain. I was going to buy a new gas BBQ but there’s absolutely no point.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    We have Pizza thread to show off our cooks, so I thought why not start a similar thread for Barbecue fans.

I’ll set the ball rolling with some of my favourites:-

1. Homemade Lamb Donar Kebab.

2. A medium-rare reverse seared Tomahawk steak.

3. Chicken Shawarma.

Let’s see your cooks.
    Wow that all looks amazing, it's 11.30 and I'm dribbling with hunger, if the kebab shop was still open think I'd be driving there now!

Nice idea for a thread!
    That all looks rather good
    I am a massive fan of a Braai. I like to do one every weekend the weather allows. I recently changed from coal to gas, and much to my surprise I quite like ease, much less mess than coal or wood, you can still get the smoked taste is you use good quality wood chips.

My efforts are not quite as polished as yours.
    A simple garlic and herb spatchcock chicken the other week

A couple of steaks

I shall add as the summer cracks on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Nice idea for a thread!
    That all looks rather good
    I am a massive fan of a Braai. I like to do one every weekend the weather allows. I recently changed from coal to gas, and much to my surprise I quite like ease, much less mess than coal or wood, you can still get the smoked taste is you use good quality wood chips.

My efforts are not quite as polished as yours.
    A simple garlic and herb spatchcock chicken the other week

A couple of steaks

I shall add as the summer cracks on.
    These look superb. I haven’t done a Spatchcock in years, I shall have to do one soon especially as Mrs Yumma likes a Nandos marinade. Thanks for the inspiration.

Master
    Wow yumma they all look delicious:-)

Those kebabs look superb! I’m assuming you bake them in the oven first and then finish on the bbq?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    That all looks amazing, we’ll done 

As for it being BBQ season, not here in the constant July and August rain. I was going to buy a new gas BBQ but there’s absolutely no point.
    Your joking
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Do like a home made burger
    Last edited by lewie; 19th July 2023 at 09:17.

We love a BBQ here and are fotunate enough to be able to grill all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Those kebabs look superb! I’m assuming you bake them in the oven first and then finish on the bbq?
    All cooked in the Weber Kettle.

Approx recipe & method:-

500g 20% fat Lamb mince.
    100g breadcrumbs.
    2 tbl spn olive oil.
    2 T spn Cumin.
    1 T spn Ground Corriander.
    1 Garlic clove crushed.
    1 T spn Oregano.
    1 T Spn Paprika
    1/4 T spn Chilli or Cayenne powder.
    Generous salt and pepper seasoning.

Mash everything together to combine in a bowl, roughly form to shape and lay onto cling film, roll tightly in the cling film to form a large sausage/doner shape and place in fridge overnight.

Unwrap from cling film and place on vertical skewer. Baste with extra oil. Insert meat thermometer. Wrap in aluminium foil.

Light barbecue set up for indirect heat (coals only on one side), once coals ready, place Kebab on and put Kettle lid on. When my meat thermometer hits 60C I take off the foil allow meat to brown and re-baste with the oil/juices in the catch tray. Again the lid goes on, so basically using the Barbecue like an oven. I take it out when it hits 85C and rest it while sorting out some salad and accompaniments.

Hope you enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your food looks delicious Yumma (you have the right name there!)

I'm no cook and my wife is not interested so we don't bbq now, although we did in the past.

When I'm at my son's place in Florida they are grilling (and I'm eating) every day.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

BBQ season you say 🙈

This has been every day bar one of July.

BBQ season you say 

This has been every day bar one of July.

Gawd, how awful.

It really is "grim up north".
    Cheers,
    Neil.

No such thing as barbecue season. You either barbecue or you don't. My barbecues are used at least twice as often as my oven. My last 5 or 6 Christmas meals were cooked on the barbecue.

I'm mostly quite a simple fella; quality meat, cooked well.

A small collection of what I've cooked. I really love the roasted red pepper and tomatoe soup, it has such a deep smokey flavour.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    All cooked in the Weber Kettle.

Approx recipe & method:-

500g 20% fat Lamb mince.
    100g breadcrumbs.
    2 tbl spn olive oil.
    2 T spn Cumin.
    1 T spn Ground Corriander.
    1 Garlic clove crushed.
    1 T spn Oregano.
    1 T Spn Paprika
    1/4 T spn Chilli or Cayenne powder.
    Generous salt and pepper seasoning.

Mash everything together to combine in a bowl, roughly form to shape and lay onto cling film, roll tightly in the cling film to form a large sausage/doner shape and place in fridge overnight.

Unwrap from cling film and place on vertical skewer. Baste with extra oil. Insert meat thermometer. Wrap in aluminium foil.

Light barbecue set up for indirect heat (coals only on one side), once coals ready, place Kebab on and put Kettle lid on. When my meat thermometer hits 60C I take off the foil allow meat to brown and re-baste with the oil/juices in the catch tray. Again the lid goes on, so basically using the Barbecue like an oven. I take it out when it hits 85C and rest it while sorting out some salad and accompaniments.

Hope you enjoy!

Excellent - thanks for that. I will give that a try in due course.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    We love a BBQ here and are fotunate enough to be able to grill all year round.
    How are your cooking surfaces so damn clean, Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    No such thing as barbecue season. You either barbecue or you don't. My barbecues are used at least twice as often as my oven. My last 5 or 6 Christmas meals were cooked on the barbecue.

A small collection of what I've cooked. I really love the roasted red pepper and tomatoe soup, it has such a deep smokey flavour.

Absolutely agree, my last Xmas meal was Venison on the Barbecue, just superb. You have some fantastic food going on there, great work. I doff my cap.

There are some serious chefs on here. Very impressive.

My below average contribution from dinner tonight. Lamb sish in pitta with tomato

Ooooo good effort…
    I agree I would Braai every day if I could (and if she would stand it - she is the Southern African)
    And what an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Ooooo good effort…
    I agree I would Braai every day if I could (and if she would stand it - she is the Southern African)
    And what an idea!
    The Weber Go Anywhere is perhaps the best BBQ purchase. Actually it was a gift. It's so small that you use very little coal and cook just the odd thing on it, I use it more than the larger kettle. You can light 8 briquettes, and that'll be plenty for 2 burgers.

Great bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    How are your cooking surfaces so damn clean, Jon?
    Because I left out the ones that weren't

It was also the first cook on the konro

Here's some finished product

Master

It’s Barbecue season, what are you cooking?

Haha that would explain it Jon!

Some fantastic looking food there, and by the look of it some great access to some lovely meat & fish!

What’s the last photo of, some fire pit? Thought that was the last thing you’d need out there!

Been enjoying some reverse seared hunks of steak as posted in the egg forum & finally managed to nail short ribs to be butter tender.

The picanha was 1.3kg but somehow looks tiny in that photo. Reckon I could have seared a little longer but the smoke and fire inferno was a little concerning. Equally I smelled like a charred piece of beef after!

What’s the last photo of, some fire pit? Thought that was the last thing you’d need out there!
    That's the kunro. Tiny thing. Just about big enough for one steak, which is exactly what I use it for when Mrs K is not around

Been enjoying some reverse seared hunks of steak as posted in the egg forum & finally managed to nail short ribs to be butter tender.
    I'm a keen lurker on the BGE thread and have been from the start. Your's and others food looks delicious.

Master

Any reason why all the coals are not lit? I thought it was recommended you only cook once all coals are ashed over/white.

Some unbelievable food in this thread, particularly for us carnivores! There's a tiny steakhouse called Casa Julian in San Sebastian that's on my bucket list. I believe it's regarded as one of best in the world and they have their grill on a slight angle so that the fat doesn't drip onto the coals and create smoke that you don't want. Anyone heard of or use that technique?

Despite our sh*tty weather I've decided to get a new BBQ / grill as we have access to some great local produce in Northumberland so it's a shame not to use it. I'll also use this thread as inspiration.

Some unbelievable food in this thread, particularly for us carnivores! There's a tiny steakhouse called Casa Julian in San Sebastian that's on my bucket list. I believe it's regarded as one of best in the world and they have their grill on a slight angle so that the fat doesn't drip onto the coals and create smoke that you don't want. Anyone heard of or use that technique?

Despite our sh*tty weather I've decided to get a new BBQ / grill as we have access to some great local produce in Northumberland so it's a shame not to use it. I'll also use this thread as inspiration.
    Some Argentinian BBQ are vertical for that reason:

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

How would that work? The fat will still drip vertically onto the coals if they're below the meat.

I didn't say vertical, it's horizontal but on a slight angle so the fat runs away from the coals. See Saint-Just's post above.

P*ssing down again here today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How would that work? The fat will still drip vertically onto the coals if they're below the meat.

I’m a gas bbq fan as I’m very impatient

Here are a few of my very simple and modest cooks

Some of the posters efforts here look truly delicious. Inspiring me to up my efforts

I didn't say vertical, it's horizontal but on a slight angle so the fat runs away from the coals. See Saint-Just's post above.

P*ssing down again here today.
    I didn't either but SJ said Argentinian's did it vertically. Not the same at all.

I do love my beer can chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I didn't either but SJ said Argentinian's did it vertically. Not the same at all.
    I probably should have been more disert but went with the apparently mistaken belief that a photo is worth a thousand words.
    As you can see it’s the wood/charcoal that is set vertically. Some ambers may also be dragged under, usually towards the end of the cooking.
    Large pieces of meat/whole carcasses can also be put on a vertical spit for the same reasons.

Baby back Pork ribs in a random concoction marinade (actually was very tasty). Ribs marinated 24 hours, then sous vide before finishing on the Weber Kettle. Turned out fantastic.

That's the kunro. Tiny thing. Just about big enough for one steak, which is exactly what I use it for when Mrs K is not around
    Do you have a link to what you're using? My Google search isn't landing on anything the same, albeit is showing similar for silly money.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I probably should have been more disert but went with the apparently mistaken belief that a photo is worth a thousand words.
    As you can see it’s the wood/charcoal that is set vertically. Some ambers may also be dragged under, usually towards the end of the cooking.
    Large pieces of meat/whole carcasses can also be put on a vertical spit for the same reasons.
    Yes, was clear from the photo.

Seems the meat would cook better vertically too. Maybe in one of those things used for fish?

Do you have a link to what you're using? My Google search isn't landing on anything the same, albeit is showing similar for silly money.

Sorry I don't, as I purchased from our local selling platform for 696,000vnd (£23)

There is the same size one one on Amazon for £40, plus other (smaller) sizes. I used the term 'hibachi' to search for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amusingtao-...1&sr=8-14&th=1

Sorry I don't, as I purchased from our local selling platform for 696,000vnd (£23)

There is the same size one one on Amazon for £40, plus other (smaller) sizes. I used the term 'hibachi' to search for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amusingtao-...1&sr=8-14&th=1
    Thanks.

For those who need recipe ideas.

https://www.tiktok.com/@wettmelons.b...9QyH8MBoY&_r=1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I’m a gas bbq fan as I’m very impatient
    A Weber chimney starter on a charcoal bbq is a must and you can get cooking within 15 mins. I have both gas and charcoal but the charcoal gets used the most by far. Better flavour and ability to do both “long and slow” cooks as well as a hot sear and indirect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Any reason why all the coals are not lit? I thought it was recommended you only cook once all coals are ashed over/white.
    Steak had already been cooked offset with the lid on for about an hour at 275F to get to about 110F before resting, while the temp is raised to 500F for a hard & fast sear.

Briquettes certainly need to have ashed over, and with lump wood it is recommended but mainly due to there being lower temps vs an inferno heat.

In a ceramic bbq the air is controlled to determine the temperature; if the whole basket of charcoal was lit, the temperature would be rather tricky to manage.

In a similar way to the 'snake method' in a weber kettle, a long snake of coals light as they need to & the heat is required, allowing a long slow cook easily.

The white ash tends to only be direct grilling; that said, you don't want horrible dense white smoke coming off the grill with food on it, and 100% no easy light stuff as that stinks & taints food.

https://amazingribs.com/ has been my go to place for learning the how & the science for 15 odd years.

I'm a keen lurker on the BGE thread and have been from the start. Your's and others food looks delicious.
    Just when you think you don't need another bbq someone introduces one you don't have - looks a smart piece of kit, but guess my MiniMax can cover single or double steak duties.

Impressed you have it sitting on a glass table, betting you did a lot of research there!

Some of you lot are like BBQ scientists 🧑*🔬

The Weber Go Anywhere is perhaps the best BBQ purchase
    I have a gas Weber but that looks really interesting for small bits. Will watch some videos on the weekend. Thanks

Inspired by others, I spatchcocked a Chicken, marinated it in Mrs Yummas favourite Nandos rub, added some extra chopped chilli, because, well, why not. I have to say it was excellent and by using my meat thermometer it was incredibly juicy too. Mrs Yumma also kindly baked some fresh bread too.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Port Market, Montevideo.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Port Market, Montevideo.
    That looks incredible. There is a company in America making something very similar but they're way, way out of my price range

https://www.grillworksusa.com/products

Impressed you have it sitting on a glass table, betting you did a lot of research there!
    There's no issue with heat transfer as the to coals sit in a basket within the case. The case sits on a wooden tray, which itself is raised off the ground.

My scientific research was to feel underneath it

Not my pictures below

Master
    There's no issue with heat transfer as the to coals sit in a basket within the case. The case sits on a wooden tray, which itself is raised off the ground.

My scientific research was to feel underneath it
    Damn that thing looks good! Great little design for a bbq, must resist further research & justification as I don’t own a direct heat, lidless bbq…

Damn that thing looks good! Great little design for a bbq, must resist further research & justification as I don’t own a direct heat, lidless bbq…
    I think you 'need' one

A bit blustery but not enough to detract from using the « egg »: