closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ceramic watches …. What do you think?

Master

Ceramic watches …. What do you think?

Interesting reading the comments in sales corner so thought it would be worth adding a thread.

Personally I like them depending on the execution. Done well they look great to my eye and have the additional benefits of scratch resistance and reduced weight over other materials such as steel and even titanium. Appreciate some find the lack of weight unpleasant and I can understand that perspective.

As to cost. This article is good and explains the cost to make them and hence retail cost.

https://www.govbergwatches.com/blog/...20to%20scratch.

The key seems to be finishing them in a way that avoids them looking too plastic like. I particularly like omega ceramic watches and the zenith pilot watches.

Master
    I've had a GSOTM and still have this which is probably the longest I've kept a watch. Love the weight and feel of the ceramic, have only tried Omegas so not sure on other brands:

Master
    Never handled one. Years ago I remember someone posted a pic of their ceramic IWC chrono after it had been dropped onto a hard surface; it wasn't pretty. There are a few other horror stories on the WWW. Here are a couple of pics I googled at random.

Master
    I saw some of the horror stories too and a particuarly nasty Panerai ceramic which was more to replace the case than buy a new watch. Very resistant to scratches but no so much to impact / being dropped it would seem being quite brittle.

Master
    Not for me, I’m afraid.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea used by Zodiac coating steel with ceramic for scratch resistance and a much lower cost

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Never handled one. Years ago I remember someone posted a pic of their ceramic IWC chrono after it had been dropped onto a hard surface; it wasn't pretty. There are a few other horror stories on the WWW. Here are a couple of pics I googled at random.

I have seen similar. Let’s hope they were insured!

Blog Entries
    I think the horror story picture gets cut and pasted across all watch forums when ceramics is mentioned. I do wonder if this is an issue as there are some super properties of ceramics that mitigate their relative brittleness.

I have had some and still have a Paneria Carbotech 1661 (which is a sandwich based) - which is carbon fibre not ceramic, but thought I’d throw it in the mix of exotics materials.

quote:

Carbotech has a few properties that make it ideal for large sports (or combat) watches. First, it feels like a feather on the wrist, because it is lighter than titanium, so it doesn’t hinder movement. Secondly, it is tougher than steel and completely scratch resistant. It is also highly shock resistant because it is constructed in bonded layers that give it inherent properties of resilience. It is formed using very thin sheets of carbon fiber that are compressed together using a polymer known as PEEK (Polyether Ether Ketone).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I only have wearing experience of Omega ceramic, and I absolutely love it as a material. Ive had a DSOTM and Apollo8 and both were exceptionally comfortable and never picked up a mark.
    Plus, I do like black watches.
    I keep eyeing up the PO big blue but also keep chickening out which is probably for the best.

Ive handled quite a lot of ceramic AP's inc the new blue ROPC and the openworked PC and they are genuinely mind blowing as far as finishing goes.

All in - im a big fan of ceramic and think that horror stories are rare compared to the number of watches produced.

I have the Tudor BB ceramic and like to wear it in rotation.

Heft, or lack of doesn't really come into it as the movement and bezel weight negate the ceramic. It's still light, but not Bio light.

I wouldn't own it as a single watch, but it certainly has a place in a collection.

I owned the DSOTM but the pics of the broken one and the IWC put me off. It was the only watch where I could hear the rotor, not sure if that’s down to the ceramic.

I’ve been tempted by the BB Ceramic and tried on an AP ceramic which I still haven’t got my head around. I think they’re cool but I’d be scared to buy one more expensive than a Tudor.

I love my ceramic BR03, so much that I have the Nightlum variant on order. Still looks brand new and I love the look and feel of the material. Not drop proof, but I’m careful

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m surprised people are worried about them braking when dropped. Like all my watches it would be insured so if that did happen I’d be covered.

Like them, especially the GSOTM posted above (double whammy with that meteorite dial!). Nothing like ‘plastic’ as mentioned in the other thread or even ‘bio-ceramic’ come to that.

Never understood the importance of heft. Why carry unnecessary weight about - only reason seems to be to remind the wearer how much (s)he’s spent.

Yes, a dropped one might have cracked once but as mentioned think the same very few pictures always crop up in these threads.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Yes, a dropped one might have cracked once but as mentioned think the same very few pictures always crop up in these threads.
    That’s the thing, for all the talk of fragility, it’s the same photos again and again. And ceramic watches aren’t that rare.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    That’s the thing, for all the talk of fragility, it’s the same photos again and again. And ceramic watches aren’t that rare.
    I’m sure Omega changed the cases on some of the broken ones foc. Also in these days of people being afraid to wear a Rolex in public they certainly make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a ceramic Zenith Defy and love it, very comfortable, modern and lightweight to wear, with the added bonus that it still looks like new after 3 years of ownership. My Zenith doesn't look like plastic thanks to a mixture of matte, polished and brushed finishes.

Journeyman
    Love ceramics. Unique look if it suits your style. And great that they are so scratch resistant.

Personal favourite:

Blog Entries
    A long time ago I did some research work on Zirconia (ZrO2) ceramics.
    So I'd like to get one one day - but only when I feel they have been designed from the outset with ceramics in mind.
    i.e reduce the stress concentrations & minimise the chance of any particular section from being stressed in tension - esp. around the lugs.

What usually happens today is that a part is manufactured from ceramic - but in a shape/form that is similar to the brand's other models
    - see the examples from Omega, IWC & B&R models above.
    i.e the design was intended for the mechanical properties of a metallic material - stainless, titanium etc - so not ideal for a ceramic.

The lack of toughness in ceramics (in simple terms - the resistance to crack propagation) is usually the biggest drawback of ceramic materials.
    Hence, many manufacturers will choose a stabilised (tetragonal) Zirconia - as it has better toughness than many other ceramics.
    ( not cubic a zirconia - that's for the gemstone alternatives / thermal barrier applications )

The key benefit of using stabilised zirconia (usually with Yttria - Y2O3) is that it is transformation toughened.
    So unlike other ceramics it will tolerate some damage / small cracks.
    The tetragonal zirconia undergoes a dilatational phase change under the action of stress (among other triggers).
    This stress activated dilation acts to close the crack tip & therefore resist crack propagation - which would proceed unhindered in other non-toughened ceramics.
    Hence, ZrO2 was dubbed ceramic steel when it was first introduced - though in truth the fracture toughness is more akin to that of cast iron.

Ceramics are generally much harder than metals - and this is the property that is largely responsible for their superior scratch resistance - useful in watch cases.
    However, if (& usually when) incorrectly used in a watch case - then stress concentrations & tension forces could be experienced and rapid, dramatic failure could occur.
    See the pictures above...

Keep the ceramic compressed & make the transitions smooth & all should be fine with ceramic watch cases - we just need a watch manufacturer to do so.

z
    ( I have posted similar elsewhere - see post #13 in this linked thread.)
    Last edited by zelig; 18th July 2023 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    Love ceramics. Unique look if it suits your style. And great that they are so scratch resistant.

Personal favourite:
    Yes, that is indeed a beauty, would love to own one.

Craftsman
    Wife has a Chanel J12 in white. Still looks brand new after several years. Happy wife, happy life!

Owned loads of them and still have a hublot in my collection. I love them and never had any issues with them at all, but I must caveat, I never dropped one

Master
    I don’t get the comments about being worried about breaking them. Don’t people insure their watches?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I have the Tudor BB ceramic and like to wear it in rotation.

Heft, or lack of doesn't really come into it as the movement and bezel weight negate the ceramic. It's still light, but not Bio light.

I wouldn't own it as a single watch, but it certainly has a place in a collection.

Love mine too, even if the bezel is pretty much useless.

Damn that MN strap looks so good, not tried one yet but very tempting!

^^^
    More legible than this one

I like ceramic (and carbon) as materials for use in watches - the lightness, toughness and scratch resilience appeal: if you want an all-black (or some other colours now) watch, they make a lot of sense.

Zelig's done a great job of explaining shortcomings - my concern is chiefly with lugs being too long and slim, some seem absurdly vulnerable - for that reason a lugless case would perhaps make more sense.

Put my money where my mouth is with my Formex Essence 'Superleggera' - and it lives up to its name: you'd hardly know it was on your wrist, and it's comfy too -

Intelligent use of materials - carbon fibre for the case and ceramic for the bezel - so far it's brushed off knocks like they didn't happen.

There's also a couple of divers I really fancy - Longines Hydroconquest Ceramic:

...albeit those long lugs are not ideal!

Also love Titoni's Seascoper with Carbon case and ceramic bezel:

Can't afford either mind!

Not sure about some of the ceramics that IWC are currently producing: look too much like plastic for comfort sometimes, and the prices are WAY over the top for mass-produced watches. Some of the looks are pretty good mind...

I fail to see the attraction of a ceramic case. Other than scratch resistance and negligible weight savings ceramic doesn't seem to have an advantage that outweighs its negatives - fragility in a drop and expense - in comparison to steel. Just as important, I don't care for the look of ceramic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Love mine too, even if the bezel is pretty much useless.
    It sure is! Although 'divers' form the most part of my collection, I've never used the bezels for any more than twiddling with. I love the stealthness the insert gives the watch and the contrast that the whole thing has with the hands and plots; it's so legible.

Damn that MN strap looks so good, not tried one yet but very tempting!
    I dislike the rubber/leather hybrid and the Nato supplied straps so it stays on the EO all the time. I'd gey a RubberB for it if I worn it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Also love Titoni's Seascoper with Carbon case and ceramic bezel:

That's a real looker!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Wife has a Chanel J12 in white. Still looks brand new after several years. Happy wife, happy life!

Is your wife in fact Fiona Bruce?
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    That's a real looker!

I keep hoping someone like Ryan or Walter will buy one so I can snap it up from SC!

I’ve owned several ceramic watches, all Omega’s who are IMHO superb at working with this material, Dark and Grey Side of the Moon, Planet Ocean GMT’s, Planet Ocean Chronograph and I currently own this ceramic seamaster in grade 5 titanium/ceramic. They have all looked brand new after long periods of wear, I love the look of them, I am aware what could happen if I drop one on a marble floor but then I wouldn’t want to do that with a steel watch either, I do like the fact that they are nearly impossible to scratch which is a major plus.

Master
    I love the splash of color that (I think) only ceramic can deliver, and I’m still very much enjoying my yellow Hublot after 18 months. I’m more careful to avoid knocks when I wear this and I can’t see any surface scratches.

I wouldn't countenance a ceramic watch after seeing a friends Rado.

He didn't even drop it, just banged it against a hard surface and a lump of the case broke off!

I can understand if you want a colourful watch but to me ceramic comes a poor second to steel in the fragility department, especially as it seems to be mainly used on so-called tool watches.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My business partner has a ceramic Blancpain that developed a crack in the case and he didn't even drop it or knock it

Master
    Interesting and unsurprising comments from both camps.

I keep coming back to the comments about possibility of it breaking. If a watch is insured then I don’t see this as an issue. I wouldn’t like to drop or whack any watch!

I saw one of these in Goldsmiths yesterday - terrible legibility .
    ^^^

Ceramic watches …. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Interesting and unsurprising comments from both camps.

I keep coming back to the comments about possibility of it breaking. If a watch is insured then I don’t see this as an issue. I wouldn’t like to drop or whack any watch!
    Not everybody insures their watches and a watch with a brother case that is likely to break I’d dropped is just that, whether insured or not.

That said, I’m in full agreement with you that dropping any watch is to be avoided.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 19th July 2023 at 16:07.

Master
    ^^^

I sort of like this, due to being spectacularly bad at everything it is meant to do!

Master
    I sort of like this, due to being spectacularly bad at everything it is meant to do!
    It is hard to read but less so in person than in the images.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 20th July 2023 at 06:59.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I’ve owned several ceramic watches, all Omega’s who are IMHO superb at working with this material, Dark and Grey Side of the Moon, Planet Ocean GMT’s, Planet Ocean Chronograph and I currently own this ceramic seamaster in grade 5 titanium/ceramic. They have all looked brand new after long periods of wear, I love the look of them, I am aware what could happen if I drop one on a marble floor but then I wouldn’t want to do that with a steel watch either, I do like the fact that they are nearly impossible to scratch which is a major plus.

I do like that one Steve. I owned 43.5mm ceramic no-date one for a while :

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Wops here comes another one
    Great watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Is your wife in fact Fiona Bruce?
    Ha, ha, spotted that watch many times. But, no, can’t claim that connection. However, my ex wife is on the same payroll as Ms. Bruce - but fortunately I only ever gave her a Seiko

Master
    ceramic is great, have had half a dozen down the years, currently have a pam1441 and omega DSOTM,

the same images crop up every time re cases cracking its not that prevalent and id wager any steel watch dropped from a height onto a tiled surface could well need to be recased also.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

I remember your review here Martyn; https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ooted-(43-5mm)
    It certainly influenced by enthusiasm to purchase this model, I actually sold my Omega NTTD to purchase it and by coincidence it would appear you sold this ceramic titanium one to purchase an Omega NTTD, both excellent no date variations on the diver 300m. The reason this is my favourite of all the ceramic watches I have tried thus far is the combination of grade 5 Titian’s which adds some contrast and really enhances the look.