closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In praise of NOMOS watches, and the Club in particular. Post 'em.

In praise of NOMOS watches, and the Club in particular. Post 'em.

Hello.

I am done with watches. To prove it, I have that engraved on the case back of my new CLUB CAMPUS 38 BLUE PURPLE (to give it its full name.)

I've had NOMOS watches before, and just scouring my sales adverts, I've had a

36mm Club

a 39mm Club Date (I thought my latest arrival was a 39, too, but the NOMOS website calls it 38mm. Throwing a Vernier calliper over my watch, I get 38.5mm. We'll call that a draw.)

And one that I really do miss, the Ahoi Atlantik.

This is my NOMOS. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My watch is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. (Excuse the fluff on the dial.)

Yes, I know - they have long lugs. Fortunately, I like a Nylon strap, and these disguise the lug length.

(My wrist is about seven and a half inches, for what it's worth.)

I'll comment on the accuracy in a couple of weeks when it's settled down. I rarely buy new watches, and NOMOS has been very efficient, accommodating my engraving and delivery from Germany. They have been a pleasure to deal with.

Initial thoughts?

- it's a Watch-shaped watch. I always liked "dog-shaped dogs" - scrappy fellows that a kid would draw, rather than a particular breed. This is just a watch.
    - the Cali-dial is a treat. Lovely contrast between the numerals and the navy/purple.
    - the hands are perfectly judged, I think, with great dimensions, and I appreciate the colour of the subdial.

The overall dimensions of the watch are great for me. It's under 9mm thick, and wears on a NATO very well. With 100m and decent (decent, not great) lume, it's a good everyday proposition.

So, show your NOMOS watches. Step out of the closet if your Club-curious, or just Bauhaus-bent.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that.
    Is it going to be a one watch or will you be keeping others?

I also have a soft spot for Nomos. My first was a Tangente Sport which I regretfully sold. I then tried an Orion Weiss which also departed via sales corner.

However a few years later I decided to add yet another Orion Weiss 36mm with display back to the household (this is a strange hobby). It has stayed with me, sort of. I say sort of as I grew to like the original Orion with it’s blued hands so I enquired if Nomos would exchange the hands. At first they said it wasn’t possible (understandable really) but with some persistence they agreed to the change if I also swapped the dial to the original Orion with gold markers. I agreed and the swap was done. My Orion Weiss became just an Orion. Nomos also sent me back the original dial and handset should I wish to ever change back.

IMHO, the gold markers and blued hands make it a dress watch which can also be worn casually. Great watches and I’ve always found the customer service to be superb.

And bizarrely the only image I still have of the Tangente sport is the caseback (same movement in the Orion).

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 14th July 2023 at 14:48.

Craftsman
    I've been pretty impressed with Nomos. My wife wears her Club Campus (bought from SC a while back) daily and it's handled everything that's been thrown at it. It's definitely not as shiny as this photo from last year, but keeping good time:

I needed to get a new, smaller strap for her wrist and added a deployant clasp which got lost in transit - Nomos customer service were great at sorting it out and getting replacements sent out.

I've got a Orion 38 (my first SC purchase, many moons ago), which doesn't get nearly enough wrist time, but has a number of lovely details on the dial - the sloping indices being my favourite - and the movement whilst nothing too fancy looks good through the display back. A little sunshine goes a long way to making it pop.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My three

Lovely watch, I'll give it some thought when it lands on SC

Joking aside, Nomos are excellent and underrated IMO. One of my regrets was selling this Nomos a few years back, ironically it went back to the same person I bought it off so guess they also regretted letting this one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    My three
    Is that an Erika’s on the Orion? Quite like that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Is that an Erika’s on the Orion? Quite like that.
    Yes,two Erikas.

I’ve had a few Nomos watches over the years, although never a Club. Like others miss the Tangente sport, but happy with my one remaining Tangente with the “Lange” dial.

What makes this one interesting to me is that it is a very early serial number, under 100 of the first model the company produced. Would chop it in for the very rare platinum model though.

Craftsman
    My tangente with display case back is coming on Tuesday, courtesy of the PSA sale at Stewarts posted a wee while ago. I can not wait and will contribute then!

Joe

In addition to pictures of the watch, I was expecting a picture of the engraving on the case back.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I like that.
    Is it going to be a one watch or will you be keeping others?
    We'll see! I'll always keep my kids' Rolexes, but this is now my main watch. G-Shocks don't count, right?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    That might be tricky, given the rude word on the back! NOMOS were very accommodating of my odd request, and told me that I could have a spare caseback fitted at a dealer for something like £50, so I was happy.

Some lovely watches in the thread, thank you. Loving the Ericas!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    In addition to pictures of the watch, I was expecting a picture of the engraving on the case back.

We'll see. It's rude and stupid. :)

And the whole business was cheaper than getting JLC to engrave Dickbutt on the back of a Reverso.

Craftsman
    Probably my favourite Nomos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 36mm dunkel. Sold some months ago via SC. The buyer contacted me to say he was selling it but hopefully it’s still in the forum as I never saw an advert.

I ended up missing a club so bought another. Mine’s the absolute grey in 36.

A Nomos was my first mechanical watch bought maybe 8-9 years ago and I’ve still got it and wear it occasionally. Lovely watches

I love Nomos, a very likeable company, unencumbered by luxury nonsense, yet with real horological ability. This is my 35mm Tangente 139, a watch that is emblematic not only of Nomos, but also of Glashutte watchmaking.

Dave

On a perlon today, and I like it.

Very nice, do like the look of the Club´s, good WR and their svelte ness.

Master
    As always, a fun post and whilst I've not yet owned a Nomos they are on my radar. The Orion looks great in the pics and good to see some 35-36mm watches that wear slightly larger.

Quite fancy a 38 or 36mm club campus but would have to send it for a bead blast.

Far too much polish for me. Love the dials though

Craftsman
    Not had a club (yet..) .. but been through a pair of Ludwigs, an Orion Weiss, and still have these three - limited ruthenium tangente, plain tangente and a neomatik orion..

.. rather hanker after a worldzeit also..
    al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Erikas for the summer.

Master
    Really like the NOMOS GLASHÜTTE
    Club Sport Neomatik 37 but fear it would be too small for me. Will probably give a used one a whirl at some point.

Always fancied an Ahoi! - love the looks, but have to admit it's not really a 'Sod-friendly watch.

But let us not grow distracted - 'fess-up Walter: what's the engraving?

OK - I'll 'fess up.

It starts with another forum that I use, and the watch thread on there, which is a little less serious than this place. We talked about the perfect engraving to have on the back of a JLC Reverso - the above "Dickbutt" was a popular suggestion. Someone suggested this old bit of nonsense engrish from a blog post nearly ten years ago.

When I ran a Secret Santa a couple of years ago, one of the gifts I received from my Santa was a t-shirt with a cartoon of my cat on the front, wearing watches, and on the back was this adaptation of the above image.

I mentioned the NOMOS recently in the thread and while NOMOS can't engrave pictures, they can do four lines of text. I've previously said, there, that I am done with watches. So. My NOMOS reads, on the back,

There. A game that was not worth the candle! But wearing the NOMOS has prevented me, so far, from buying a Panerai and a 36mm Explorer 1, so who knows? Maybe magic spells work?

Incidentally, NOMOS were a pleasure to work with, and happy to indulge my infantile potty-mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    OK - I'll 'fess up.
    I'm going to want a bit of a discount now when this pops up on Sales Corner

As with every deluded modder, my modifications have only enhanced the value of the watch!

I love it and would consider paying a small premium when it comes up for sale...

Swearing is big and clever

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Swearing is big and clever
    But only when it is done properly. Far too easy to liberally scatter F bombs or C bombs in an invective which quickly dilutes the impact.

Master
    I am surprised that Nomos did it, but well done them. I hope this watch does what it sets out to do! Maybe I need the same.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hah, that is excellent.

There is a Penis Breath Tudor black bay around here somewhere.

Master
    Love the brand, but have never found the right one. This is the only one I’ve owned, a relatively unusual Tangente Sport 501 which was later revived as an expensive Hodinkee limited edition. For some reason I didn’t bond though, it might have been the shell cordovan strap, everyone raves about them but I found it too stiff. Should have tried it on something else really!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Joking aside, Nomos are excellent and underrated IMO. One of my regrets was selling this Nomos a few years back, ironically it went back to the same person I bought it off so guess they also regretted letting this one go.

Wasn’t it Ben/Binsull(?) who originally bought this one and later sold it on SC? If it was that particular watch, then I regret not buying it when the opportunity was there. Wasn’t it some Hodinkee limited edition model?

The most interesting Nomos models for me happen to be the Club ones. It’s a bonus that they’re also the cheapest models.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Wasn’t it Ben/Binsull(?) who originally bought this one and later sold it on SC? If it was that particular watch, then I regret not buying it when the opportunity was there. Wasn’t it some Hodinkee limited edition model?

The most interesting Nomos models for me happen to be the Club ones. It’s a bonus that they’re also the cheapest models.
    Yes that's the one. I bought it off Ben, then sold it back to Ben, who I'm pretty sure sold it again on here. Great watch, was called the "Ace X Nomos Club Campus 38 #Nomiesforlife", in collaboration with the largest Nomos fan group. Limited to 50 pieces, the panda dial was great. Regrets!

I recently joined the Club and I'm very happy about it.

Master
    I really like them, but I don’t think my wrists can pull off the length of the lugs. Stunning watches, don’t think there has been an example of one that I haven’t thought looked fantastic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That is just stunning.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On a perlon today, and I like it.

Looks good on the perlon,are there different quality straps ,the one I bought felt like recycled a plastic bag.

I am very happy that you guys all like them. I have to say their aesthetic does nothing for me, I can truthfully say I am not the least attracted to any of them on show here or elsewhere. Great for me, another brand I can cross off the list.
    This is not intended to stifle the pile on in the slightest. Quite the opposite, I am glad we are all different.
    Forzo Nomos

So, show your NOMOS watches. Step out of the closet if your Club-curious, or just Bauhaus-bent.
    I'm far from antinomian and would quite like one of their auto offerings. I like the Nordic styling: simple three hander, arabic numerals; no bells, whistles, complications or upselling extras. It's a watch that looks like a watch and not like a feature-laden, confused, cluttered, and cumbersome status symbol. Tasteful and understated.

I agree with the Rev, Nomos represent proper watchmaking without the marketing guff.

This is so satisfying to watch...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/237107302520470
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 17th July 2023 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Love the brand, but have never found the right one. This is the only one I’ve owned, a relatively unusual Tangente Sport 501 which was later revived as an expensive Hodinkee limited edition. For some reason I didn’t bond though, it might have been the shell cordovan strap, everyone raves about them but I found it too stiff. Should have tried it on something else really!
    I owned that watch for a time too, and I regret selling it. I bought a 35mm Tangente afterwards but found that I preferred the 36.5mm of the sport version. The sport one came on a extra thick Shell Cordovan strap, which might be why you found it too stiff? The regular Nomos horween straps are thinner and more comfortable.

Master
    I owned that watch for a time too, and I regret selling it. I bought a 35mm Tangente afterwards but found that I preferred the 36.5mm of the sport version. The sport one came on a extra thick Shell Cordovan strap, which might be why you found it too stiff? The regular Nomos horween straps are thinner and more comfortable.
    Yes that makes sense, I really should have tried it with one of their normal straps, I agree it was very well sized.

Purty new 38mm Ahoi Neomatik Datum models just out ('Sky' & 'Sand'):

...think I prefer the date at 6, and a more contrasty dial, but that baby-blue is

Master
    Blog Entries
    New arrival,straps a bit short ,but that’s easily sorted.

This is a watch I have been considering but my only concern is the quality of the bracelet. I am not a big fan of bracelets at the best of times and there is no strap option for this watch.

What are your views of the bracelets quality?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    This is a watch I have been considering but my only concern is the quality of the bracelet. I am not a big fan of bracelets at the best of times and there is no strap option for this watch.

What are your views of the bracelets quality?
    I like the bracelet, I find it very light and comfortable. It's also much less blingy than I feared it would be - the polished centre links look great with the polished case.

Having said that, I'm currently wearing mine on a Nomos textile strap. You can order the Club Sport on the strap from their website.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 27th July 2023 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    New arrival,straps a bit short ,but that’s easily sorted.
    Almost bought this one during a trip, but ended up staying reasonable.
    Very nice

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Purty new 38mm Ahoi Neomatik Datum models just out ('Sky' & 'Sand'):

...think I prefer the date at 6, and a more contrasty dial, but that baby-blue is
    I generally don't like numerals arranged radially but on these watches they look great, I think the font helps. That blue one is cracking.

Master
    Never had a Nomos but have been tempted. This thread now has me looking at their range…