closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driving from UK to Italy with a puppy (10 mths old)...

Exclamation Driving from UK to Italy with a puppy (10 mths old)...

Has anyone done something like this? Challenges?

Likely to be last week of August - Forte dei Marmi on the NW coast.

Wife is determined but I'm not so keen - mainly due to worrying about how the puppy will handle the heat. She's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Travels in the car very well. Eats very well too.

Is European pet insurance even a thing?

All advice and input appreciated!

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    From what I have heard - expect extreme high temperatures, 40+ so maybe not such a great idea to travel long distance by car, depends on where you are going though.

this may be of use: https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    I read this before lunch, gave a thought and re-read a few seconds ago. I’m trying to write a balanced reply. But that’s hard…

I cannot find anything positive in the plan to take a young dog (any dog for that matter) on such a long trip into the heat of Italy (hottest summer in recorded history there!). And I’m glad to read you have doubts. We were there in 2016 and back then it was the hottest summer until then. You Have No Idea How Hot It Was. And now, it’s even hotter!

Taken your dog to town is a no-no with those temps. It’s paws will burn. The dog is near the pavement where the heat is worse. (Think F1races and data about outside temp and track temp!). You can sit by the pool where your dog is not allowed…

I can name more reasons based on my own experience in scorching Italy.

Taking the dog is not in its interest. It’s only in the owner’s interest; to have the dog around. I know it’s not very nicely said, but I cannot think of other terms for it.

What happens when the dog gets hot, overheated or gets sick (btw, a q. in general: what are the signals amd how to treat an overheated dog. Any idea someone?).

I would recommend a stay in a proper day care (‘stay’care?) for that period. A young & energetic dog, originally living in packs, will have a 5-star holiday with its new best mates!

Perhaps we’re lucky with an A+ dog care down the road. They even pay attention to next level dog training.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I read this before lunch, gave a thought and re-read a few seconds ago. I’m trying to write a balanced reply. But that’s hard…

I cannot find anything positive in the plan to take a young dog (any dog for that matter) on such a long trip into the heat of Italy (hottest summer in recorded history there!). And I’m glad to read you have doubts. We were there in 2016 and back then it was the hottest summer until then. You Have No Idea How Hot It Was. And now, it’s even hotter!

Taken your dog to town is a no-no with those temps. It’s paws will burn. The dog is near the pavement where the heat is worse. (Think F1races and data about outside temp and track temp!). You can sit by the pool where your dog is not allowed…

I can name more reasons based on my own experience in scorching Italy.

Taking the dog is not in its interest. It’s only in the owner’s interest; to have the dog around. I know it’s not very nicely said, but I cannot think of other terms for it.

What happens when the dog gets hot, overheated or gets sick (btw, a q. in general: what are the signals amd how to treat an overheated dog. Any idea someone?).

I would recommend a stay in a proper day care (‘stay’care?) for that period. A young & energetic dog, originally living in packs, will have a 5-star holiday with its new best mates!

Perhaps we’re lucky with an A+ dog care down the road. They even pay attention to next level dog training.
    This ^^^^
    I don't have a dog, but we went to Naples in July some years ago and it was very hot. Our hotel was on a cliff right over the waterfront where there was some breeze, but it was still 80°plus and by late afternoon it was stifling. I couldn't imagine walking around there with a dog, let alone subjecting one to that journey in a car. I think your Mrs needs to have a word with herself I'm sorry to say.

Blog Entries
    Answering my own question:

https://www.smalldoorvet.com/learnin...et-overheating

What are the chances this will happen in scorching Italy?

I’m glad we have a pond. My dog is in it at least every hour for a ‘splash ‘n dash’ on a hot day. ‘Hot’ as in NW Europe ‘hot’…

CKC spaniel?

They have flat faces anyway and well known Brachy issues. They should be kept well away from heat.

I would seriously dissuade you from taking your dog to Italy.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    The last time I was in Italy in August our shoes were sticking to the pavements. You won't be able to take the poor thing out and it will also be uncomfortable in the car. Leave Italy until the Autumn and try Devon or Cornwall this summer.

Master
    I drove down to Elche in the august of 2004 not a wise decision there was an heatwave temps in the forty’s never undertook it again, if it wasn’t for the fact my best mate was terminally I’ll I wouldn’t have.
    Please do not put your dog through it.

Craftsman
    Agree with comments here. Just Google 'dog walk temperature' and pro advice is anything even above 20 can be difficult for them.. my two cockapoos get hot and I always wait for the cooler evening air or go to the woods where it's 3-4 cooler on 24+ day for example. Scorching pavements are no fun.

Don't take your dog to Italy, she won't thank you (despite wanting to, amazingly selfless dogs). Our first dog was a CKCS, and we have long and painful experience of their health issues (they fare worse than others in the heat). My eldest would agree (she's a vet).

As for driving there without pooch, your choice - takes more time, but your journey can be a holiday in itself (if you have time for stopovers). I used to drive to Switzerland regularly from Scotland to visit my dad, always enjoyed our stop-overs en route.

Enjoy your holiday!

Just to add my bit: dogs can be fine in a car while travelling because most are air conditioned, but they too will find it a bit boring (even if they appear to sleep it through). It is absolutely fine if they enjoy the destination. But if they are unwell or miserable on arrival you may struggle to travel with your dogs for the rest of their life.
    I understand the dilemma as leaving your pet (especially a puppy) is not a good thing unless it is with family/trusted friends, but the likelihood of severe heat could be deadly (literally). If there was any possibility of postponing the journey or amend the destination, I would certainly consider the option.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Apart from the heat issue, there is also the travel time. Some airlines do allow pets to travel in the cabin rather than the hold, e.g.
    https://www.klm.ie/information/pets/reservation

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My neighbour slowly built up the travel time with her dog,she put a lot of effort in to make him feel comfortable and not scared or nervous.

Starting of in the car with the engine running but no movement,devising a secure cage in the boot that gave him room and a view (I helped a little).

I could see how important it was, but this was for relatively short distances in England.

As everyone has said I think that journey would be to much.

Master
    We drove to NE Italy last year and it was long. 8 hours three days straight.

However, Italians have dogs! Once you’re there you’ll find ways to manage. Primarily early morning walks and evening walks

Thanks for all the comments and advice, guys. Much appreciated!

Yes, Italians have dogs and they have to cope I suppose, but I'd rather not put my puppy through it. The journey itself would be fine I think - A/C on in an SUV, run of the back seat with a harness (she travels well in the car) - but the heat in Italy would be my main concern.

Blog Entries
    Out of own experience I would drop the entire idea

Having been to 'Forte' several times, you'd be walking elbow to elbow with the Italians, whom mostly 'go out' in August, and in stifling heat it's sheer madness !!

Wait until late September/first half October (after that you risk downpours)

It would be sheer torture for the pup !!

Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    My neighbour slowly built up the travel time with her dog,she put a lot of effort in to make him feel comfortable and not scared or nervous.

Starting of in the car with the engine running but no movement,devising a secure cage in the boot that gave him room and a view (I helped a little).

I could see how important it was, but this was for relatively short distances in England.

Really, wow. We picked ours up at 8 weeks old and drove him straight home - 6hrs. He’s never had an issue in the car.

Blog Entries
    I’m in Italy now it’s like an oven , please don’t put your dog through this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

The journey is the least of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    We drove to NE Italy last year and it was long. 8 hours three days straight.

However, Italians have dogs! Once you’re there you’ll find ways to manage. Primarily early morning walks and evening walks
    That may be, but the “native” dogs are in their home environment, will be used to their routine and will have acclimatised to the heat. That’s a different situation altogether.