timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium G Shocks

Premium G Shocks

MTG and GMW

Particularly the titanium models like this one

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...k-gmw-b5000tvb

Anyone got any thoughts on these, how they wear due to weight and also how is the neg display on the expensive models, that sort of thing.

The neg display on the 'cheaper' models say 200 quid are awful you can barely see them

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    MTG and GMW

Anyone got any thoughts on these, how they wear due to weight and also how is the neg display on the expensive models, that sort of thing.

The neg display on the 'cheaper' models say 200 quid are awful you can barely see them

I wore the £3200 silver version yesterday in Chisholm Hunter. Very light but honestly I couldn't see the difference in finishing between the £400 SS version. For that money I'd be getting a Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I wore the £3200 silver version yesterday in Chisholm Hunter. Very light but honestly I couldn't see the difference in finishing between the £400 SS version. For that money I'd be getting a Tudor.
    Yeah I won't be getting that one, it's 3600 UKP and is exotic alloys, basically titanium. But for 1200 UKP you can get titanium with DLC, I'm not bothered about how exotic the titanium is, bog standard titanium is good enough!

Master
    MTG and GMW

I’ve been eyeing that very one for weeks now, and have come close to purchasing on multiple occasions. I have had the cameo version of it previously, so know how well made they are. Only thing holding me back is i ended up selling the cameo (at a loss) so don’t see the point in throwing cash away! (I’d be all over it if i could find with better than 20% discount though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I’ve been eyeing that very one for weeks now, and have come close to purchasing on multiple occasions. I have had the cameo version of it previously, so know how well made they are. Only thing holding me back is i ended up selling the cameo (at a loss) so don’t see the point in throwing cash away! (I’d be all over it if i could find with better than 20% discount though!)
    Yeah they make more sense second hand under 900 quid

There was one of these Virtual Armour titanium G-shocks on SC recently which I was very tempted with, fortunately the seller withdrew it whilst I was contemplating a pm to buy,
    I’m always slightly conflicted with these high end expensive G-shocks, on the one hand I appreciate quality but on the other hand if a G-shock costs over 1k then I’m not going to want to mark it which kind of defeats the whole object of a G-shock in the first place!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    There was one of these Virtual Armour titanium G-shocks on SC recently which I was very tempted with, fortunately the seller withdrew it whilst I was contemplating a pm to buy,
    I’m always slightly conflicted with these high end expensive G-shocks, on the one hand I appreciate quality but on the other hand if a G-shock costs over 1k then I’m not going to want to mark it which kind of defeats the whole object of a G-shock in the first place!?
    it’s mine now. It’s really well finished, and surprisingly subtle in person. Also really rare now. About marking it, I’ve managed to buy the bezel from Casio UK, so while this one is mint, once it gets worn I can just fit the new bezel, which is really easy to do.

What surprised me is how clear the STN display is, and if you set a reminder, after activating the backlight the display flashes red which is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I've owned that model, it is terrific and the RRP was £1500 or so, full Ti. That was worth the money, the ones at £3k+ far less so

I've owned that model, it is terrific and the RRP was £1500 or so, full Ti. That was worth the money, the ones at £3k+ far less so
    Yeah agreed , the 3600 one is just exotic titanium or whatever

I tried a frogman in London when whey came out . Absolutely loved it, but out of my price range.

Looked at the squares. Again very nice but I wear g shocks to take a hammering and they are a little to nice for that too.

I've this on the way, got it for 850 off the bay

DLC Coates Titanium , writing is all laser etched

I've this on the way, got it for 850 off the bay

DLC Coates Titanium , writing is all laser etched

Nice! Great price too! Enjoy

Nice! Great price too! Enjoy
    Thanks

It's as much as I want to pay for a G Shock

Honestly I've owned so many metal squares (steel not titanium) and they've all gone. Plastic G-Shocks just wear well. No doubt I'll bite again soon though.

I have a GMW-B5000RD, which is the red IP stainless steel one with the negative display. Birthday present from my brother. A bit heavy, but the display is very crisp. I have an old GX-56 King with a negative display and the STN display on the GMW-B5000 is much better. Functionally, it's the same module as the GW-B5600. I have the GW-B5600MG and it's honestly great. In terms of functionality, even as someone who owns a Citizen HAQ and a few mechanicals, you can't beat the G-Shocks for plain utility.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vorpal; 9th July 2023 at 01:48.

I have the all black dlc titanium model with positive display - when that came out, that felt like a genuine premium over the other metal Gs. I've tried on the MR G variant and it is VERY nice, but given these really are novelties, no real point buying one. Most will be more than happy with the standard steel metal square is the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I have the all black dlc titanium model with positive display - when that came out, that felt like a genuine premium over the other metal Gs. I've tried on the MR G variant and it is VERY nice, but given these really are novelties, no real point buying one. Most will be more than happy with the standard steel metal square is the reality.
    Yeah standard steel just to heavy for me, and 3600 quid for the MRG and just higher grade titanium etc not worth it

The middling GMW 5000 seem about right, I say middling it's still 1500 quid new

Yeah standard steel just to heavy for me, and 3600 quid for the MRG and just higher grade titanium etc not worth it

The middling GMW 5000 seem about right, I say middling it's still 1500 quid new

Indeed, why i skipped the steel, too heavy. And they never did a 'plain' non dlc ti version of the watch IIRC.

Indeed, why i skipped the steel, too heavy. And they never did a 'plain' non dlc ti version of the watch IIRC.
    Yeah the GMV 5000 TVA is DLC, the TVB uses titanium carbide and ion coating instead to apply colours, they say DLC better suited to black, but no real difference in TiC and DLC in the real world apparently.

Both 1500 quid, no way I'd pay 3600 just for harder titanium and DLC

800 quid for nearly new TVB is my max

Also has the STN display as well

Yeah the GMV 5000 TVA is DLC, the TVB uses titanium carbide and ion coating instead to apply colours, they say DLC better suited to black, but no real difference in TiC and DLC in the real world apparently.

Both 1500 quid, no way I'd pay 3600 just for harder titanium and DLC

800 quid for nearly new TVB is my max

Also has the STN display as well

Gotcha - i have the positive display 5000tb which is basically similar to the TVA? Think i paid around £1k new before covid hit.

The DLC is holding up well, only a few nicks that show.

Gotcha - i have the positive display 5000tb which is basically similar to the TVA? Think i paid around £1k new before covid hit.

The DLC is holding up well, only a few nicks that show.
    Yes, yours is the first one, positive display and DLC

The TVB came out last year is neg display and TiC and ion coating with just DLC I'm the case back. Can get it for 1200 in a couple of retailers but 1500 from Casio.

Prices gone up since yours launched.

I got mine for 800 quid from eBay,

Yes, yours is the first one, positive display and DLC

The TVB came out last year is neg display and TiC and ion coating with just DLC I'm the case back. Can get it for 1200 in a couple of retailers but 1500 from Casio.

Prices gone up since yours launched.

I got mine for 800 quid from eBay,

Gotcha!

I think it's unlikely now we see a raw ti non MR G sadly. I'd gobble that up in an instant.

Gotcha!

I think it's unlikely now we see a raw ti non MR G sadly. I'd gobble that up in an instant.
    Yeah it's too soft a material, has to be coated and it's how they differentiate between the higher models mainly

I mean it's only the expensive G Shocks that get STN displays and titanium , plus the BT module, bigge buttons and nifty engraving

You are simply paying for the premium materials and not much else

No way they will drop titanium lower down or none would but the GMWs or MTGs

Want to see a magic trick? I'm going to evaporate £1,000 from the bank account of a TZUK member!

GMW-B5000TVB on sale here: https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01320...r-Mens-Watch/p

Discount Code: VIP20EXTRA

£1,000 delivered, £499 discount.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Want to see a magic trick? I'm going to evaporate £1,000 from the bank account of a TZUK member!

GMW-B5000TVB on sale here: https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01320...r-Mens-Watch/p

Damn, wish I'd known 2 days ago! I still got a nearly new for 850 but still, I'd have snapped that up

Damn!

Damn!

Must.....resist.....

BTW that £3200 Gshock that I pilloried I got offered for £2400 which puts the cat amongst the pigeons somewhat. This one;

Damn!

Damn!

Must.....resist.....

BTW that £3200 Gshock that I pilloried I got offered for £2400 which puts the cat amongst the pigeons somewhat. This one;
    Oo that is a good deal, don't think you'll see better on one of those.

Still absolutely mental money... but it's the mother of all squares. Although according to the G-Shock website it's the only version not limited out of the £3k+ models, which may impact prices in the future. That said, I also think it's the nicest of the three.

Damn!

Damn!

Must.....resist.....

Got to be worth a punt !

Master
    Sold my Virtual Armour on here last week and it’s gone straight on to eBay. Disappointing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314702679...mis&media=COPY

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Sold my Virtual Armour on here last week and it’s gone straight on to eBay. Disappointing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314702679...mis&media=COPY
    That is disappointing, and odd, with 6 feedback and an expensive watch it's unlikely he can get a decent price

In his or her defence it's a niche sale and maybe just thought eBay best bet

Master
    Maybe. It would be nice to see it offered back here too though - age old TZ debate I know.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Maybe. It would be nice to see it offered back here too though - age old TZ debate I know.
    Oh for sure, I'd have bought it

Well. Bollocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just bought one.
    Collect it on Thurs from Beaverbrooks.

Interest free credit too. I mean, it is almost like a free watch. I spend more on coffee in a couple of days than this will cost me a month.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I just bought one.
    Collect it on Thurs from Beaverbrooks.

Cracking price at 1k new, I'm hovering myself

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

Premium G Shocks

Yes, you are!

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 14th July 2023 at 16:31.

Master
    Now down to £1000 but unfortunately the discount code no longer works.....Still the same price though😁

I don't need one of those do I?

I'm pretty sure I don't but it's very tempting

Master
    I keep going back to it. Had a couple of G Shock B5000 squares in the past and this one is really growing on me.

Master
    Too good to resist at that price.

Last edited by benny.c; 14th July 2023 at 21:28.

Well MR-G's were created as the most premium G Shocks and I have a few starting with the very firsts the MR-G 1's

All the Revman.

Some MR-G-1000 Tactician's

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 15th July 2023 at 19:43.

Master
    I own the MRG B5000 and i’m NOT saying it’s “worth it” but those who are saying it’s just a different material etc, i’m sorry you don’t understand a thing about watch making…The watch has incredible finishing, superior to many brands and this is coming from someone who took delivery of a PP 5811G and a FPJ, both watches not known ofc for their finishing in particular but watches that cost a multitude of theMRG. The fact that i can sit here and compare a Gshock to a PP is incredible. Even the small circular plots within the bracelet are polished by HAND and is a separate part. Again not saying this is value for money or anything like that but it is definiately a high end watch with a matching price and not just “another metal” gs hock.

Master
    If anyone is after one of the Titanium G's in great condition - the very collectable B5000TVA, I just listed mine on sales corner :( also comes with a new bezel (not that it needs it!).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I own the MRG B5000 and i’m NOT saying it’s “worth it” but those who are saying it’s just a different material etc, i’m sorry you don’t understand a thing about watch making…The watch has incredible finishing, superior to many brands and this is coming from someone who took delivery of a PP 5811G and a FPJ, both watches not known ofc for their finishing in particular but watches that cost a multitude of theMRG. The fact that i can sit here and compare a Gshock to a PP is incredible. Even the small circular plots within the bracelet are polished by HAND and is a separate part. Again not saying this is value for money or anything like that but it is definiately a high end watch with a matching price and not just “another metal” gs hock.
    I envy you. I fully understand your point of view and would love to see one of these 'in the flesh'. I have owned 13 G-Shocks including four 'full-fat' Mudmasters and two MT-Gs. I've loved them all but the thing I was always wary of when owning a more expensive 'G', is that I felt they lost the 'essence' of a G-Shock in being so expensive, i.e. a watch that can be truly worn with care or concern. However, that has never stopped me from admiring the build quality. On seeing these MRG squares, I therefore naturally wondered who could possibly wear such an expensive watch without any care whatsoever in any environment - that is, until I saw this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpAO7lekQU - the sander on the bracelet fully puts one's mind at rest.

Have just taken delivery of a MRG-B2000R, and am delighted with it. One of these:

https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-b2000r-1adr

It's come straight from Casio, so the rubber strap is huge. Excuse the noob question, but is it just a case of physically cutting it down to size? I'm just scared of ballsing it up and making an expensive mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Have just taken delivery of a MRG-B2000R, and am delighted with it. One of these:

https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-b2000r-1adr

It's come straight from Casio, so the rubber strap is huge. Excuse the noob question, but is it just a case of physically cutting it down to size? I'm just scared of ballsing it up and making an expensive mistake!
    That is stunning. I'd be looking on ebay or aliexpress for a 'replica' strap to cut down and keep the original mint.