closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'd love to know exactly what Seiko mean when they talk about "Diashield", because from what I've seen and heard it can mean one of two quite different things across different models:

1. a diamond-like coating that is effectively a transparent PVD / DLC.

2. a surface-hardening treatment of the stainless steel akin to that undertaken by Sinn, Damasko and a few others.

The SLA043 I had, had a light abrasion to the casing when I bought it which was removed with an ink-eraser, showing that it cannot have been #1., which would either not budge, or leave you with discernible edges to the damaged area.

Casework with #2., should - to a limited extent - be refinishable, so long as the damage is light and superficial, but could lose some integrity in the process.
    I don't think the 045 has Diashield. That's probably why your use of the ink eraser worked perfectly. I'm fairly confident that the 093 does have Diashield. Update: Based on comments via this thread, it does have the dreaded Diashield.

Seiko use the Diashield outer case hardening process on brushed and polished surfaces, whereas Damasko and Sinn use their case hardening process usually on a bead blasted case. The Sinn and Damasko case hardened cases look identical to the non case hardened cases. The Seiko case hue is a little darker with Diashield applied. (More on this in a moment).

I loathe Diashield. I just wish that Seiko would stop using the process and just spend the cash and resources on the following:

- Lowering retail prices.
    - Improving QC.
    - Regulating their movements properly.
    - Allowing a case to be refinished including during a service, where that is the owners choice

Unlike Seiko, I've refinished an entire Diashield case by hand. It took over eight hours as once you lightly refinish one area, the case colour changes to a slightly lighter hue. That's why I had to refinish the entire case so the finish would match. It was a bloody nightmare. Never again.

If someone owns a Seiko with Diashield, please never ever attempt to refinish it. You will just spoil the look of the case.
    Last edited by j111dja; 20th March 2024 at 16:29.