closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

Craftsman
    Regardless of being LE and a historical connection, I’d not pay that money for a watch with such poor accuracy tolerances. It’s one reason why I moved on my SLA017. Surely Seiko could do better - or maybe they think they don’t need to?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Regardless of being LE and a historical connection, I’d not pay that money for a watch with such poor accuracy tolerances. It’s one reason why I moved on my SLA017. Surely Seiko could do better - or maybe they think they don’t need to?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It does grate a bit yes but I suspect Seiko think they will sell regardless. Seiko are weird. At their lower price points they represent amazing value. At higher price points the opposite! But still we buy them because I guess they are the Disney of watches- probably the most important watch brand ever and evoking strong memories and sentiments. I guess Rolex also for other reasons.

It’s really nice to look at, I love the 62MAS deign but as is often the case with modern Seiko it’s a swing and a miss. Overpriced at £3200 for a 6L movement that has stated tolerances of about +\- 20 secs a day. Does it also have a creeping date wheel? Could get a BB58 for that money or a Pelagos 39 for not much more. And, of course it’s a limited edition, because why wouldn’t it be.

Seiko could stick a 6R3 movement in this, have it as their flagship diver for about £1200 and it would sell like hot cakes.

Looks like I've just missed the boat on these, if anyone knows of any remaining stock or wants to get out of their allocation please let me know :)

Do we really want it though , tbh it’s not aged well and looks like a standard no frill dated dive watch

I think that box-crystal costs no more than 100 or even less

Grand Master
    Sit back with a glass of nice single malt & decide which of the 62mas style watches you might want to buy on sc now this much better one is on offer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I cant be the only one confused by all the variants nowadays.

The more I look at this one it doesnt appeal its just to grey and uninspiring.

Ok, I've managed to get an allocation for one. Totally agree with most of the comments, seems very overpriced for what it is, but then I gave up trying to rationalise watch prices a long time ago :).

Seiko are putting a £1200 premium on the 6Lxx movements compared to the 6Rxx. The new King Seiko reissues are now coming with the 6L but will be priced at £2900 with the 6R model at £1700.

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...ry/king-seiko/

I have the smaller no date King Seiko with the 6R31 and timekeeping has been excellent. It’s currently +30 sec total for the past 18 days and that includes time on the wrist and in the watch box. The 70hr power reserve is also brilliant. Leave it in the watch box for a couple of days and it’s still keeping great time when back on the wrist.

There is a lot of talk about poor stated tolerances of the 6R/6L movements but in reality I’ve found them to perform much better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Do we really want it though , tbh it’s not aged well and looks like a standard no frill dated dive watch
    Yes we do, if it weren’t for the price. Or at least some of us do, it may be a generational thing. For me it presses some very particular 60s buttons, conjuring up an era when rugged men with aqualungs shot each other with harpoon guns. It’s probably a matter of what was on TV when we were young. To some extend I’m tiring of the parade of warmed over re-issues from all the brands, but certain ones still hit the spot, and this is one of them.

Seiko finally discovered that the best way to do a reissue of an iconic watch is to simply copy the original design without X's on the dial and other malarky. Who would have thought...

Seems like the 6L movement is actually a significantly refined and upgraded movement vs the 6R so not actually as overpriced as 1st thought?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Seems like the 6L movement is actually a significantly refined and upgraded movement vs the 6R so not actually as overpriced as 1st thought?
    Could copy paste that line on the hodinkee IWC with the Poundland Selitta movement

Just spotted this - I have to say, it’s looks absolutely lovely!

DC Leake won't be getting any in unfortunately.

When I first enquired they said that they would be getting 1 or 2 but turns out they won't be getting any!
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 6th July 2023 at 15:42.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Just spotted this - I have to say, it’s looks absolutely lovely!
    You gonna buy one flip it and buy another lol.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    You gonna buy one flip it and buy another lol.
    If my past performance is anything to go by!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Seiko are putting a £1200 premium on the 6Lxx movements compared to the 6Rxx. The new King Seiko reissues are now coming with the 6L but will be priced at £2900 with the 6R model at £1700.

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...ry/king-seiko/

I have the smaller no date King Seiko with the 6R31 and timekeeping has been excellent. It’s currently +30 sec total for the past 18 days and that includes time on the wrist and in the watch box. The 70hr power reserve is also brilliant. Leave it in the watch box for a couple of days and it’s still keeping great time when back on the wrist.

There is a lot of talk about poor stated tolerances of the 6R/6L movements but in reality I’ve found them to perform much better.
    The issue isn’t how they perform most of the time though. It’s the risk you take.

Let’s say someone presented you with a £3k watch from Tudor, and stated it comes with a certificate which guarantees it runs within 4 seconds a day. Then they say this Seiko also costs 3k. It probably runs fairly close to that. Near enough. Probably. Almost definitely most of the time. But there’s no guarantee, and if it doesn’t or it does but then doesn’t after a while, you just have to accept it. You’d probably think, what are Seiko playing at?

The trouble is this argument is so old and so polarised that people get obsessed with their personal experience (well, I’ve had 3, and they all ran fine!), rather than focusing on the issue, which is what is being promised at a price point.

It’s been laboured over and over but at £300, it was perfectly acceptable. At £1k, it raised eyebrows but it became the new norm. Now at £3k, it’s kind of taking the mick!

Again, lovely watch: would love to own one but Seiko need to up their game or drop their price. All it would take would be some regulating and some guarantee and everyone would think it perfectly reasonable. They used to be known for accuracy, around the time the 62MAS came out!

But the Seiko movements are inhouse whereas Tudor outsource all of their movements to Kenissi (yes owned by Tudor but they also make calibres for Breitling and Chanel) so there's that difference as well I guess if you believe in house is better.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 6th July 2023 at 19:56.

But the Seiko movements are inhouse whereas Tudor outsource all of their movements to Kenissi (yes owned by Tudor but they also make calibres for Breitling and Chanel) so there's that difference as well I guess if you believe in house is better.
    I don’t. Maybe that would hold some water if Tudor were offering a BB58 with a sellita sw200 inside but Kenissi are relatively exclusive. The fact that they’re shared with Breitling and Chanel is a positive.

….and sure, Seiko make their own movements but they sell them to everyone who wants one so they’re in-houseish,as a rule. I suspect one of the reasons why no one other than Seiko uses a 6L (as opposed to the 4R/NH line or the VK mecaquartz which are ubiquitous) is because for the money, they’re not very good.

Master
    The trouble is, a limited edition is almost bound to be expensive for what you’re getting, as compared to a standard collection watch. They have to recover the cost of creating a whole new model just on that one short run. But on the plus side for the brand, the FOMO should help with the marketing and prop up the price, increasing the margin. The compensation for the buyer is that they have something special and it may hold its value better, but that doesn’t improve the actual watch. Clearly this pricing and marketing model works for Seiko (and even more for Grand Seiko). But in this case I wish they’d simply released this model as an unlimited main version from the start, then the price would likely sit better with a recreation of a rugged 60s tool watch.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 6th July 2023 at 20:59.

What makes an in house movement equate to a better movement? Every Tudor I’ve had has been supremely accurate. Near enough every Seiko I’ve had has been somewhere between decent, acceptable and diabolical. And that’s before we get to the other QC issues that were quirky at £200 but a disgrace at £1200.

There are Chinese brands like San Martin and Seestern making much better Seiko watches than Seiko these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    ...then the price would likely sit better with a recreation of a rugged 60s tool watch.
    I just did a quick Google and the original list price was 13,000 yen which today equates to £70.80, which in 1965 is the equivalent of approx £1753 today. So the price has inflated greatly compared to the original, true, but £1753 is not exactly pocket change. I'd say modern tool watches include obviously g-shocks, but also Seiko turtles, Citizen divers etc, all costing up to a few hundred quid, not £1753, that's lower end luxury.
    Is the fact the Seiko is now the equivalent of nearly twice as much as its original price normal 'watch world' inflation? Are there Omega, Rolex etc models from that era still being produced today that have had similar price inflations?

Decided I am going to need one of these. The search commences.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Decided I am going to need one of these. The search commences.
    Best of luck and worth casting a wide net. Some US Seiko ADs saying this is the Seiko with the largest demand for pre orders that they've ever had. I think UK allocation is gone, May be worth trying Japan as that country is getting 500 (only 29 for the UK).
    Last edited by ryanb741; 8th July 2023 at 06:27.

Best of luck and worth casting a wide net. Some US Seiko ADs saying this is the Seiko with the largest demand for pre orders that they've ever had. I think UK allocation is gone, May be worth trying Japan as that country is getting 500 (only 29 for the UK).

Amazing that only 29 are allocated to the UK. Presumably a big number will also go to the US? Good luck petay993 with your search!!

I have picked up the scent of one at a UK AD

Good bloodhound work!

Great work!

It’s Seiko after all, next year it’ll be available in 12 different colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It’s Seiko after all, next year it’ll be available in 12 different colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Next year they are rereleasing the Pogue - that'll sell in a flash as well I reckon

Next year they are rereleasing the Pogue - that'll sell in a flash as well I reckon
    Wow, has this been confirmed? Have any details been released yet?

I met someone who was wearing an original (his late father's watch) and I thought it looked fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Wow, has this been confirmed? Have any details been released yet?

I met someone who was wearing an original (his late father's watch) and I thought it looked fantastic.
    I don't see how Seiko are going to do this unless they rework their standard chrono movement. Any reissue better not just be a lazy upsized, standard looking chrono like what they did with the speedtimers.

I have a lovely 6138-3000 - one of two vintage watches i own, and they are lovely things. Seiko will mess up a pogue most likely.....

Good bloodhound work!
    Yes confirmed this morning and deposit paid. Now to look for the perfect 19mm tropic style.

Yes confirmed this morning and deposit paid. Now to look for the perfect 19mm tropic style.
    Result!

The straps on these tend to be very long so a correctly sized alternative is a must

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Standard 20mm tropics (as in tropic tropic not generic) fit just right on seiko 19mm lugs ime. Had one on my willard with 0 visible squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Standard 20mm tropics (as in tropic tropic not generic) fit just right on seiko 19mm lugs ime. Had one on my willard with 0 visible squeeze.
    JB’s are not a exact 20mm anyway. More like 19.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    JB’s are not a exact 20mm anyway. More like 19.5.
    Do you mean Joseph Bonnie straps?

That would be good news, I already have two!

Do you mean Joseph Bonnie straps?

That would be good news, I already have two!
    They are yes. Soft enough as well. No problem fitting 19mm.

They are yes. Soft enough as well. No problem fitting 19mm.
    Good to know, thanks.

I assume it's best to use 19mm spring bars rather than 20mm?

Good to know, thanks.

I assume it's best to use 19mm spring bars rather than 20mm?
    Oh absolutely. Never change original spring bars. They might need some lube though being 2.5mm thick. I know JB say 2mm max, but not an issue.

Useful information on the Tropic options thanks.

So what's the forum view on the nicest Tropic. Original, JB or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I don't see how Seiko are going to do this unless they rework their standard chrono movement. Any reissue better not just be a lazy upsized, standard looking chrono like what they did with the speedtimers.

I have a lovely 6138-3000 - one of two vintage watches i own, and they are lovely things. Seiko will mess up a pogue most likely.....
    The Jumbo is up there when it comes to Seiko's best ever looking watches.

Useful information on the Tropic options thanks.

So what's the forum view on the nicest Tropic. Original, JB or something else?
    JB or the other brand that use the same supplier. Can’t remember the name. But do get different buckle.

This generic one made it a perfect fit. Never have to adjust.

JB or the other brand that use the same supplier. Can’t remember the name. But do get different buckle.
    Wolbrook?

Wolbrook?
    Them yes. Same straps

Available to pre-order here if anyone was looking...

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Seiko-P...31&fo_s=slisys

Seiko on a mission with new models and 're-interpretations'. What about this? https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...n-specs-price/