closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

I can see some scalpers on ebay already

I regretted selling my SLA017 so was really pleased this came out. The dimensions of this version are even better for me. I always found the SLA017 slightly too thick and whilst the difference isn't massive, this one is definitely closer to the wrist. The rest of it is pretty much the same - the dial, crystal and case finishing. The combination of the grey sunburst dial, shiny rehaut and domed crystal still look amazing. The combination makes the crystal looks like a water droplet. I really think that along with the Fifty Fathoms, this is one of the most beautiful dive watches around.

The lume on the SJE093 is more evenly applied and less lumpy than it was on my SLA017, or on the 043 and 037 I briefly owned. The timekeeping is better too; it always annoyed me that my SLA017 ran around 15 seconds fast. This one is +2 so far. The strap is ok but too long. At least it doesn't attract lint like previous Seiko straps I've tried.

All in all, I think this watch is pretty close to perfect in terms of looks and size. It's certainly overpriced but so are most watches and I guess it's the looks and heritage you're paying for. I'm sure it will follow the previous model of Seiko releases - there will be versions of this model with different dial colours and possibly different types of steel. There will then be similar versions at lower price points. This combination is the ultimate one for me though.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    I regretted selling my SLA017 so was really pleased this came out. The dimensions of this version are even better for me. I always found the SLA017 slightly too thick and whilst the difference isn't massive, this one is definitely closer to the wrist. The rest of it is pretty much the same - the dial, crystal and case finishing. The combination of the grey sunburst dial, shiny rehaut and domed crystal still look amazing. The combination makes the crystal looks like a water droplet. I really think that along with the Fifty Fathoms, this is one of the most beautiful dive watches around.

The lume on the SJE093 is more evenly applied and less lumpy than it was on my SLA017, or on the 043 and 037 I briefly owned. The timekeeping is better too; it always annoyed me that my SLA017 ran around 15 seconds fast. This one is +2 so far. The strap is ok but too long. At least it doesn't attract lint like previous Seiko straps I've tried.

All in all, I think this watch is pretty close to perfect in terms of looks and size. It's certainly overpriced but so are most watches and I guess it's the looks and heritage you're paying for. I'm sure it will follow the previous model of Seiko releases - there will be versions of this model with different dial colours and possibly different types of steel. There will then be similar versions at lower price points. This combination is the ultimate one for me though.

Nice photos of a beautiful watch.

I don't recall any modern watch I have handled having such a high dome crystal. The liquid like distortion, if you like that kind of thing, is wonderful.

Best looking watch I’ve seen in a long time.

Might go for a SPB143 if I can get away with the size

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Best looking watch I’ve seen in a long time.

Might go for a SPB143 if I can get away with the size
    Not a bad option actually. I hadn’t thought of that and it’s certainly cheaper than the SLA17 . Size wise it’s about right for my 7.5 inch wrists . Saying that, a BB58 looks fine on me so the 143 should be perfect.
    Might go shopping tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Not a bad option actually. I hadn’t thought of that and it’s certainly cheaper than the SLA17 . Size wise it’s about right for my 7.5 inch wrists . Saying that, a BB58 looks fine on me so the 143 should be perfect.
    Might go shopping tomorrow :)

The problem is the lume at 3. I have to try a WTB to get one without but need to try it on for size first.

Have to say this is the most exciting purchase I’ve made in years. Absolutely love it! Love everything about it. Running around 3secs fast. I’m hoping it’ll settle a bit in the coming weeks to be near perfect accuracy.

Master
    nice photos TH14TH14 !

Had the chance to see one of these today and compare it to my 017. There didn't seem to be too many differences, to my eyes, between them apart from the obv size one. I had seen some posts suggesting these were of a higher quality than the 017 but I did not see that. The crystal on the SJE might distort a bit more due to its size than the 017 but I'm not sure that's a good thing. I did notice the rehaut is not as tall on the SJE and is not polished to the same extent as the 017. I felt this made it less shiny under the lights and daylight.. It is slimmer in the mid section and a fair bit lighter weight than the 017.
    On the wrist it felt a bit too 'dainty' for me and i'm not keen on the reduced dial space. I much prefer my full size, full fat versions to the newcomer..

looks amazing in them photos though ^^

It is probably helpful to do a side by side.

Photo courtesy of WUS.

To my eyes at least and apart from the obviously more accurate case dimensions on the 093, the rehaut on the SLA017 is less vertical and possibly deeper, the Seiko logo on the 093 is a higher build print possibly to try and mimic an applied logo, the gap on the 017 between Diver's and 200m has been shortened, the 093 crystal distorts more as it has a lesser diameter but similar height and the lume pip on the 093 is larger.

Some also say the date wheel on the 093 is white as opposed to silver on the 017, I cannot see any difference myself.

The 093 utilises the 6L37 movement to allow a case thickness of 12.5mm, 2mm of which is in the high dome crystal.

That’s a great comparison shot and shows how much more like the original the latest version looks.

Any reason why Seiko didn't go for applied logo? It clearly isn't cost when the Seiko 5s have applied logos so it surely is a functional decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Any reason why Seiko didn't go for applied logo? It clearly isn't cost when the Seiko 5s have applied logos so it surely is a functional decision.
    I have read that Seiko now have a policy that on their serious divers nothing is applied to the dial in case it works loose during a dive. Seems over the top but that's Seiko for you.

Even the markers are pushed up through the dial and then finished. Very nicely to be fair but betrayed by the softer edges when directly compared to an original 62MAS which did have applied logo and markers.

Apparently over time there’s a chance the applied lettering can come loose is what I read.

I have just bought a genuine NOS Tropic Star 19mm for mine. Looking forward to trying it out.

It will be period correct if not aesthetically correct.

Still enjoying this one

Me too

Really love this design - some different angles and lighting.

IMHO this is a better watch than my 41mm sub. Much nicer bezel action, better dial, hand and indice finishing, and looks much much cooler.

And people were mocking it being the same price as a Tudor Black Bay

A good review including technical specs such as bezel material:

One of the captions says "the SLA017 bracelet will fit on this new case"

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    One of the captions says "the SLA017 bracelet will fit on this new case"
    It does - one of the posters on the Seiko forum on WUS posted a pic of his on the SLA017 bracelet and it looks great however given the fact that bracelet was notorious for scratching the case I'd be reticent to try it out

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    It seems Seiko are releasing a second batch in February 2024.

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...tion-sje093j1/
    That’s taking the p@ss even for Seiko!

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    That’s taking the p@ss even for Seiko!
    It's not in addition to the number produced overall as part of the limited edition, they just made them in 2 batches.

It's not in addition to the number produced overall as part of the limited edition, they just made them in 2 batches.
    Thanks for clarifying Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Thanks for clarifying Ryan
    You took the words out of my mouth until I saw Ryan’s post

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You took the words out of my mouth until I saw Ryan’s post
    We shouldn’t have to think it!

Although don't put it past Seiko to bring the same watch out with a different second hand colour! Pretty sure they will TBH as they'd have incurred significant tooling costs for the new case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Really love this design - some different angles and lighting.

That is the best dive watch on the market right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That is the best dive watch on the market right now...
    ID Guy agrees and so do I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xLpPVK5tlU&t=2s

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Agreed they are a great looking watch.

It’s a shame Seiko didn’t release them as a non limited edition and market them for around the £2000 mark.

I would imagine they would have been very popular, undercut Tudor and sold like hot cakes!

Master
    Blog Entries

Although the price is way too high IMHO ...

Question for SJE093 owners, can 20mm spring bars be fitted between the 19mm lugs?

I have 20mm tropic JB straps with 'skinny fat' Seiko style single flange spring bars. When fully compressed the bars are 19mm so I'm thinking that they might work? Drilled lugs would make removing them easy. Or would that be asking for trouble?

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Question for SJE093 owners, can 20mm spring bars be fitted between the 19mm lugs?

I have 20mm tropic JB straps with 'skinny fat' Seiko style single flange spring bars. When fully compressed the bars are 19mm so I'm thinking that they might work? Drilled lugs would make removing them easy. Or would that be asking for trouble?

I would personally use the factory 2.5mm fat bars. Just put silicone grease or something to fit in the Tropic easier.
    Last edited by Toshk; 21st November 2023 at 18:18.

Has anyone managed to find a 19mm tropic rubber strap, short length, that can accommodate fat Seiko spring bars?!

Beaverbrooks still has about 5 left of their January consignment if anyone wants one.

Master
    Does anybody know for certain if this re-issue has Seikos Diashield ? I can’t find any info anywhere.

Thanks

Yes it does, unfortunately!

Master
    Yes it does, unfortunately!
    Thanks, I could not find any info about this anywhere. I knew somebody would come through.

Cheers:)

Everything online talks about the seiko Japanese website mentions diashield, but nowhere else does, nor anything in the watch paperwork itself.

I checked, and cannot read Kanji, so not sure what the deal is.

How do you know for sure Petay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Everything online talks about the seiko Japanese website mentions diashield, but nowhere else does, nor anything in the watch paperwork itself.

I had one that RM damaged and Seiko said the case had to be replaced (£1100 cost) as they couldn't refinish it due to it having Diashield coating.

So I know for sure it has Diashield from personal experience.

Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

Thanks. How mental that they can’t refurb it because of that!

I like the watch a lot, personally:

Photos don’t do it justice really.
    The quality is clear, once you wear it for a bit and stop crying about the price.
    Applied hour markers and the handset are all beautifully finished and polished.
    Dial text is crisp, and the sunburst dial really adds some depth to the watch.
    The hour hand just grazes the bottom edge of the markers, the minute hand the top edge.
    Seconds hand ends perfectly half-way up the second markers track. It is well executed, for sure.
    Mine is also accurate to a couple of seconds. Probably cosc spec if I care to measure it properly.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 20th March 2024 at 09:43.

Thanks. How mental that they can’t refurb it because of that!

I like the watch a lot, personally:

Photos don’t do it justice really.
    The quality is clear, once you wear it for a bit and stop crying about the price.
    Applied hour markers and the handset are all beautifully finished and polished.
    Dial text is crisp, and the sunburst dial really adds some depth to the watch.
    The hour hand just grazes the bottom edge of the markers, the minute hand the top edge.
    Seconds hand ends perfectly half-way up the second markers track. It is well executed, for sure.
    Mine is also accurate to a couple of seconds. Probably cosc spec if I care to measure it properly.

To be fair to Seiko it got marked because RM sent it to Border Force wrongly and BF left it loose in the box to get smashed around. Even then the damage was minor.

They hold up much better to scratches compared to Omega/Rolex etc

Yes mine is holding up really well to regular wear and I am not babying it because it is not that kind of watch imo.

If anyone is looking for one Beaverbrooks Trafford Centre had one in the window yesterday, said it was a cancelled pre order.

Master

I telephoned Seiko UK this morning and spoke to tech and servicing to double check . They rang me back and yes 100% Diashield .

I telephoned Seiko UK this morning and spoke to tech and servicing to double check . They rang me back and yes 100% Diashield .

I'd love to know exactly what Seiko mean when they talk about "Diashield", because from what I've seen and heard it can mean one of two quite different things across different models:

1. a diamond-like coating that is effectively a transparent PVD / DLC.

2. a surface-hardening treatment of the stainless steel akin to that undertaken by Sinn, Damasko and a few others.

The SLA043 I had, had a light abrasion to the casing when I bought it which was removed with an ink-eraser, showing that it cannot have been #1., which would either not budge, or leave you with discernible edges to the damaged area.

Casework with #2., should - to a limited extent - be refinishable, so long as the damage is light and superficial, but could lose some integrity in the process.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'd love to know exactly what Seiko mean when they talk about "Diashield", because from what I've seen and heard it can mean one of two quite different things across different models:

2. a surface-hardening treatment of the stainless steel akin to that undertaken by Sinn, Damasko and a few others.

The SLA043 I had, had a light abrasion to the casing when I bought it which was removed with an ink-eraser, showing that it cannot have been #1., which would either not budge, or leave you with discernible edges to the damaged area.

Casework with #2., should - to a limited extent - be refinishable, so long as the damage is light and superficial, but could lose some integrity in the process.
    Well, seiko can’t refinish it at service time and that was acknowledged verbally by Seiko this morning when asking about the SJE093.

Well, seiko can’t refinish it at service time and that was acknowledged verbally by Seiko this morning when asking about the SJE093.
    Guess it eliminates the worry of being over polished in the future!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Guess it eliminates the worry of being over polished in the future!
    Very true. Any marks are for life !!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

From what I’ve read the 043 doesn’t have diashield coating due to its everbrite case.