closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone tried or own a tentbox/roof tent?

Anyone tried or own a tentbox/roof tent?

This sort of thing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone tried or own a tentbox/roof tent?

Just an idea, in advance of a road trip with my son that could involve maybe 4 or 5 nights camping (in multiple locations) - plus would like to get the fam out into a bit more camping generally.

I realise it would potentially need combining with a kitchen-tent or gazebo thing if I wanted a bit more comfort for cooking and what-have-you, but would save a little space in the car and it looks fun

Unless you are going to Australia where there are snakes a creepy crawlies, or Canada where you may want to be a few feet above the bears, not sure I can see the point. Plus a bit tricky when you need a wizz in the middle of the night.

Buy an air inflatable tent.

As mentioned. If no major predators where you are (bears, poisonous snake's or giant man eating toads).

Just get a standard ground tent. Probably cheaper and roomier

Any campsite won't charge less because your tent is on top of your car instead of alongside. Also bear in mind you can't drive anywhere in the day without taking everything down and potentially losing your pitch in your absence, plus of course ingress and egress hassles. Also if the wind and rain picks up in the night your car can't 'shelter' the tent, in fact the exposure is far worse than on the ground even without the car acting as a windbreak.. Don't see the point I'm sorry.

Master
    I hired a roof tent some years ago, I liked the idea for all sorts of reasons.

My conclusion was, you have all the benefits of a tent, but they’re mostly undone due to having to access it via a ladder and have to take it with you if you need to drive anywhere for the day on a trip.

My trip was also wet, and the lack of decent space to dry clothes or cooks something was awkward.

Thank you all - saved me a grand there
    Proper tent it is.

If you read most car manuals the maximum load for a roof box (including the weight of tje box itself and any roof bars) is something like 100kg. Erm, I weigh 110kg so a roof tent is a no then!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If you read most car manuals the maximum load for a roof box (including the weight of tje box itself and any roof bars) is something like 100kg. Erm, I weigh 110kg so a roof tent is a no then!
    That's when being driven.

So it’s more for stability than the weight? Didn’t know that - assumed I’d make a big dent!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    So it’s more for stability than the weight? Didn’t know that - assumed I’d make a big dent!
    There's some useful info here https://tentbox.com/blogs/help-and-g...oof-load-limit - suggests static roof load is at least 5x dynamic limit. And, as they say, a car is designed to survive being rolled!

Been in one in Australia, and thought it was great :)

No need to find soft ground etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    You can buy a decent trailer tent for under 2 grand, of course a towbar is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    You can buy a decent trailer tent for under 2 grand, of course a towbar is necessary.
    I keep looking at these - as an alternative to a camper van