closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC Fatboy Reissue in the Wild

CWC Fatboy Reissue in the Wild

Out in the hills of Wales today, took my Fatboy Reissue on a CWC ribbed strap.

Love this watch!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Out in the hills of Wales today, took my Fatboy Reissue on a CWC ribbed strap.
    I like the look of that strap! Is it 20mm? Ot looks like it passes through the lugs okay.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 1st July 2023 at 20:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I like the look of that strap! Is it 20mm? Ot looks like it passes through the lugs okay.
    Yes - 20mm but is quite thin so fits very easily.

Yes - 20mm but is quite thin so fits very easily.
    Great thanks, fancy one for my g10, also for my Alpinist reissue which has 19mm lugs. Good prices on them too.

CWC Fatboy Reissue in the Wild

Great thanks, fancy one for my g10, also for my Alpinist reissue which has 19mm lugs. Good prices on them too.
    Perfect for the job and as you say great prices. Had mine over a year and it’s been worn a lot with little sign of wear. Nice touch having the CWC logo on the buckle too.

Perfect for the job and as you say great prices. Had mine over a year and it’s been worn a lot with little sign of wear. Nice touch having the CWC logo on the buckle too.
    Yes the logo is subtle and a nice feature.

Apprentice
    Still enjoying mine.

Master
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    Love it!

Love it!
    They are great watches.

I really wouldn't want anything on them changed. (Yes, more WR would be good - but not if it meant losing the battery hatch, which it inevitably would do.)

They are great watches.

I really wouldn't want anything on them changed. (Yes, more WR would be good - but not if it meant losing the battery hatch, which it inevitably would do.)
    I know what you mean, although to be honest I am quite happy with the WR value, I actually prefer just taking it off for swimming etc.

It is ridiculous that after years in this hobby and probably 100+ watches bought and sold, this is my favourite. A “cheap” quartz. Proof that sometimes we can look for what we think we want in all the wrong places.

Apprentice
    Strap change

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Strap change
    CNC Paratrooper by the looks of it - a comfortable and stylish option, I have a few of them!

Mine's still on a Phoenix NATO today - here tastefully (?) displayed on a felled tree stump during a pause in the morning dog walking.

Apprentice
    CNC Paratrooper by the looks of it - a comfortable and stylish option, I have a few of them!

Mine's still on a Phoenix NATO today - here tastefully (?) displayed on a felled tree stump during a pause in the morning dog walking.

Such a versatile little watch. Can make it look different almost every time I wear it. Unfortunately, I am accumulating quite a few straps. But it's fun.

Craftsman
    I've got around four of the 20mm CWC ribbed single pass NATOs which I purchased as an addition to my two CWC parastretch straps for some variety on my CWC RN Diver.

Whilst the NATOs are excellent for the price point, I've found myself steering back towards the parachute straps as they are way more comfortable and can be pulled on & off with ease.

Having said that, I have just picked up an Erikas Blackops with the FXD style fitting for fixed spring bars for my RN Diver and I must say, the quality is superb.

However it was absolute b*tch to fit, getting the strap through (even though the watch head fulfilled Erikas criteria for this fitting method) the fixed bars took some skill and a bit of brute force (pliers were required) but as a testament to the quality of the strap, it held up just fine with no damage to the head or strap.

Not sure I'll be taking it off any time soon though.
    Last edited by Planet Ocean; 9th July 2023 at 09:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Strap change
    That works well.

Could I ask please.

What size wrists do you guys have? I’d really like to try one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Could I ask please.

The G10 suits any size wrist, the fat boy has a little extra thickness to help bulk it up on larger wrists but the size of 36mm is small enough for the dainty.

It is a good all rounder (I should wear mine more)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The G10 suits any size wrist, the fat boy has a little extra thickness to help bulk it up on larger wrists but the size of 36mm is small enough for the dainty.

It is a good all rounder (I should wear mine more)

Ahh thank you, much appreciated.

Would you say the model with the sapphire crystal and 10 year battery life is better than the plexiglass models? Or is it just personal preference?

I like the fat boy but I’m just a little worried about scratching up the plexi.

Ahh thank you, much appreciated.

Would you say the model with the sapphire crystal and 10 year battery life is better than the plexiglass models? Or is it just personal preference?

I like the fat boy but I’m just a little worried about scratching up the plexi.
    Maybe try the one in the sales section

Having owned both I personally prefer the plexiglass, but that I have come to realise that I prefer that to all other crystal materials.

Such a versatile little watch. Can make it look different almost every time I wear it. Unfortunately, I am accumulating quite a few straps. But it's fun.
    That is my experience too.

I “dress” mine up on single pass leather straps too. It really could be my only watch.

Could I ask please.

Slightly smaller than 7” and I fine the size pretty much perfect. But as Sinnlover says, it works for most wrist sizes. A bulkier nato makes it wear a touch bigger.

Apprentice
    Could I ask please.

6.5" here.

I have owned both this and sold the Sapphire. The Fatboy just seems to have more "character " to me. Plus, I like the battery hatch. Seems like it will be very easy to change the battery and I don't usually swim with a watch.

Thank you everyone, I’m pretty sure I’ll get the fat boy.

Another option is to buy a standard g10 reissue to test the waters as I have done. I bought a mint one here on sc for £150.
    As others have said wrist size doesn't matter. I have 6.75" wrists and jump from a Willard to the g10 and it never looks or feels too small.
    I have thought about the gs for its water resistance (never say never, it may happen yet) but it's easy enough to pop the Willard or gshock on and not to swim wearing the g10.
    I now know that if a fat boy reissue came up at the right price I'd get that for the extra width and vintage font and sell my g10, so the experiment has worked.
    Oh, and I thoroughly recommend the cwc 20mm single pass rubbed nato's. Bought a couple after a recommendation earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 9th July 2023 at 18:23.

That would definitely be the right choice in my opinion!

Craftsman
    I have a 7.25 inch wrist and as mentioned, the 36mm of the G10 fits pretty much perfect on any wrist size....even though I have Phoenix & CWC NATOs, I tend to wear my G10 on 19mm grey NATOs as the strap just fit the lug width perfectly.

Can't go wrong with the Fat Boy re-issue or any G10 model in fact, good luck getting what you want.

Thanks for your help guys it’s really appreciated. :0) The fat boy it is.

Another option is to buy a standard g10 reissue to test the waters as I have done. I bought a mint one here on sc for £150.
    As others have said wrist size doesn't matter. I have 6.75" wrists and jump from a Willard to the g10 and it never looks or feels too small.
    I have thought about the gs for its water resistance (never say never, it may happen yet) but it's easy enough to pop the Willard or gshock on and not to swim wearing the g10.
    I now know that if a fat boy reissue came up at the right price I'd get that for the extra width and vintage font and sell my g10, so the experiment has worked.
    Oh, and I thoroughly recommend the cwc 20mm single pass rubbed nato's. Bought a couple after a recommendation earlier in this thread.
    That would definitely be the right choice in my opinion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    I have a 7.25 inch wrist and as mentioned, the 36mm of the G10 fits pretty much perfect on any wrist size....even though I have Phoenix & CWC NATOs, I tend to wear my G10 on 19mm grey NATOs as the strap just fit the lug width perfectly.

Can't go wrong with the Fat Boy re-issue or any G10 model in fact, good luck getting what you want.

Craftsman
    Some people don't like the G10 but I love them - a nice slim, simple easy to read watch.

The Fatboy has a really nice watch face - I particularly like the older 'CWC' no circle logo. That subtle difference combined with the vintage style lume is a good look. I like the 'field watch' vibe and to that end have had three G10's - None are issued pieces.

With a 'one in, one out policy' I sold my first one as I rather liked the look of Eddies Prescista PRS 10 so purchased a new one from the shop - I liked the sapphire crystal and the 100m WR. A great watch but I on balance I prefer 'no date' watch faces so that was sold and replaced with another CWC G10.

I know the G10 has traditionally had a circular battery hatch and whist quite cool I guess that might affect its WR rating so that was sold (!) and replaced with a GS Sapphire. I particularly wanted the G10 look with the added WR. This works really well for me and is one I wear most days and on holidays.

I am really tempted by the G22 automatic but it's that 50m WR that puts me off again. If only they would make it with maybe 100m or 200m WR.

With that in mind I contacted CWC recently to enquire if they had any plans to improve this. They tell me that they - 'are currently working on a new model with improved water resistance but will be many months before it will be in production and ready for sale'.

So for me, that may be the one.............!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I am really tempted by the G22 automatic but it's that 50m WR that puts me off again. If only they would make it with maybe 100m or 200m WR.

With that in mind I contacted CWC recently to enquire if they had any plans to improve this. They tell me that they - 'are currently working on a new model with improved water resistance but will be many months before it will be in production and ready for sale'.

So for me, that may be the one.............!
    Exciting prospect!

Exciting prospect!
    Isn't it!

All being well the fat boy is arriving today. :0)

All being well the fat boy is arriving today. :0)
    Photos mandatory once you have it! :-)

A more water resistant G22 would be perfect

I have the G22 and properly love it. Runs about -2spd.

The water rating is the only thing I'd change.

I'm trying to think what would be comparable with 100m plus and I keep coming up with Christopher Ward and the Tudor Ranger.

So we're then talking 2 to 5 times the price. Fancier cases and sapphire no doubt but I find the lack of flash and polish on the G22 perfect for my tastes.

Really fancy a Mellor too but despite the fact it's got a different case, movement, dial, logo, finish and hands I worry it's too similar.

The Fatboy is lovely too though

This is really strange.

I had a CWC g10 before, bought new from Silvermans. Must have had it for about an hour and decided it was too small and I didn’t like it, I’m sure I returned it the same day.

Yesterday the fat boy arrived. :0)

I can’t tell you why, but it just looks and feels totally different to the watch I had before, and I really like it. Those ribbed nato straps are fantastic too.

Thank you everyone that recommended one you were 100% correct. :0)

Apprentice
    Definitely a different feel and I really like the dial.
    I got a Sapphire for the watch resistance but didn't wear it so off it went.
    Enjoy the Fatboy!

.. I got a Sapphire for the watch resistance but didn't wear it so off it went ..
    Higher watch resistance is something many of us around these parts could very much do with!

This is really strange.

I had a CWC g10 before, bought new from Silvermans. Must have had it for about an hour and decided it was too small and I didn’t like it, I’m sure I returned it the same day.

I can’t tell you why, but it just looks and feels totally different to the watch I had before, and I really like it. Those ribbed nato straps are fantastic too.

Congratulations!

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is really strange.

Any photos,did I miss where it came from?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Any photos,did I miss where it came from?

I’ll take a few pictures at the weekend. It came directly from the CWC website.

Congratulations!
    Thank you for the recommendation and this post, it’s a lovely watch. :0)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ll take a few pictures at the weekend. It came directly from the CWC website.
    Thank you,I shall take a look.

Apprentice
    Just because.