closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DIY case/bracelet refurbishment?

Master

DIY case/bracelet refurbishment?

Just bought an (Stainless Steel) pre loved Seiko and was wondering what I needed to tidy it up a bit?
    Not trying to make it look new, just remove light marks/scratches.
    I don’t have a Dremel tool so I’m looking to hand finish only.
    Thanks for any tips….

Depending on how scratched it is a cape cod polishing cloth will work wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post

Excellent, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post

Dangerous advice without knowing more about the watch in question, and the surface finish that needs to be achieved.

OP - a good place to start is to read through a post from Gingerboy. It’s from 2009 (how time flies), and is a really good and thorough intro to tools and techniques.

Just search on here for a thread entitled: Refinishing a Bond Omega Seamaster bracelet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post

OP - a good place to start is to read through a post from Gingerboy. It’s from 2009 (how time flies), and is a really good and thorough intro to tools and techniques.

Just search on here for a thread entitled: Refinishing a Bond Omega Seamaster bracelet
    Thanks for posting that. It is indeed a really good read with great advice. This is the link.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...aster+bracelet

Master
    Dangerous advice without knowing more about the watch in question, and the surface finish that needs to be achieved.

I’ll give it a read, thanks

Grand Master
    Cape cod will struggle to remove any scratches/marks with depth.Tbh really only any good for polishing.
    Garryflex pads are much better.Buy 3 pads(amazon) course/medium & fine.For anything really bad use coarse wet n dry to remove the worst,then use the garryflex pads.
    Youll be at it forever with cape cod.5 mins with the pads will see a huge difference & easy to use too.

Grand Master

Its a Seiko as He said and not looking to get it as new.
    A lot diiferent if a Royal Oak Id agree with you saying bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Might only be an old Seiko but polishing a brushed finish with a Cape Cod won’t improve it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Might only be an old Seiko but polishing a brushed finish with a Cape Cod won’t improve it.
    Thats why I said use the garryflex pads.He doesnt want to polish it.He wants to remove scratches & cape cod would take forever!.
    Just stating cape cod isnt the right method.
    Garryflex pads will sort the scratches much easier.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 18th June 2023 at 17:36.

Yes, I did read the post.

My point wasn’t brand or cost related, more to understand the case morphology, any need for edge-retention and the finishes that need to be achieved.

Whether it’s a Seiko or an AP, you’d be ill advised to use cape cod on grained, brushed, or sand-blasted finishes.

Thats why I said use the garryflex pads.He doesnt want to polish it.He wants to remove scratches & cape cod would take forever!.
    Just stating cape cod isnt the right method.
    Garryflex pads will sort the scratches much easier.
    Okay, thought you were disagreeing with colin t (as we know it’s not a Royal Oak) who said Cape Cod wasn’t a good idea.

Master
    I have refurbed so many in the past.

To remove scratches I use wet and dry to remove the deepest of scratches , followed by a scotchbrite pad to get the finish that I require.

If the bracelet is half and half the you should use masking tape to the links that are to remain shiny.

It takes a bit of time and effort but well worth it in the end.