closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More MX-5 related stuff

More MX-5 related stuff

The "infotainment system" in the NC is a bit out of date and the radio reception is rubbish so I thought I'd do something about it.

I didn't want to replace the Bose head unit and/or speakers as that could have been a world of pain, I decided to opt for replacing the Garmin GPS unit on top of the dash with a Carpuride W103. Unlike the unit I bought for my motorcycle, this one works :-)

It's not the most subtle of units, but conveniently connects to the 12V socket and Bose Aux in, and gives me all the Android Auto (and Apple Carplay) features I might need - Maps/Waze, hands free phone and messaging and the ability to stream podcasts or radio being the main ones.

It will take a little while to optimise the location and I'll tidy up the wiring when I've done that.

The reason I opted for the wide screen model was that it's not that tall and doesn't compromise forward visibility.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks really useful. When connected to the radio will it allow you to play music from the device from Spotify or qobuz etc?

Brilliant, the wife's Bose thing has declined to eject cds so this might be the solution, will be in touch. Is it detachable overnight ?? Looks like a temptation for those in need of a pitcher of rough cider.
    Last edited by notnowkato; 17th June 2023 at 23:01.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    That looks really useful. When connected to the radio will it allow you to play music from the device from Spotify or qobuz etc?
    No idea about gobuz, but yes for spotify.

from the apps on my phone, it'll do Audible, WhatsApp (reads messages and allows you to dictate replies hands free), BBCSounds, Magic radio, Maps, Messages (as per WhatsApp), Phone, Podcasts, SoundCloud, Spotify, Waze and Weather.

Not sure about apple apps, but the up to date Google/Android list is here https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...droid_auto_all

It does do other things like play from USB or screen mirroring so you can watch movies etc, but I wouldn't recommend that!
    Last edited by Gyp; 17th June 2023 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Brilliant, the wife's Bose thing has declined to eject cds so this might be the solution, will be in touch. Is it detachable overnight ?? Looks like a temptation for those in need of a pitcher of rough cider.
    It is detachable, with a couple of different mounting options (though I'm using a Brodit mount rather than either of the supplied options).

Considering changing to magnetic if I can to make removal easier.

Best discount code I can see at the moment is CRD30772 which gives 30% off. I had a 35% code but can't recall it :-(

Tempering my enthusiasm a little bit, I've been experimenting with locations and attachments to get the "best" positioning to suit both myself and Mrs Gyp.

Currently using a couple of magnetic Carmounts to hold it in place fairly tight to the dash and lower down.

Catch now is that the screen is quite reflective, and as it's angled up a bit it's not great with the roof down and the sun shining

Roof up:

Roof down:

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd have a look for a spare dash panel on eBay and screw the mount into it so it's pointing more flat or even slightly down and won't be going anywhere

Master
    Maybe a matte screen protector to take the reflection off?

I admire the intention, but I suspect that I'd have been more likely to perform the Bosectomy and fit a double-DIN unit rather than have an extra screen stuck on the dash.

I'm probably going to fit a Kenwood DMX8020DABS to my 25AE - but admittedly it does have the AVN2 (rebadged Alpine INE-W920R) in it rather than the Bose system.

I'd have a look for a spare dash panel on eBay and screw the mount into it so it's pointing more flat or even slightly down and won't be going anywhere
    Considered that but it would be the main dash top that needed replacement which is quite a job

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Considered that but it would be the main dash top that needed replacement which is quite a job
    Indeed, it is quite a task to take the unit out, I had a bit of a look and thought beter of it . Another advantage of this sort of unit is that is easily used in other vehicles, as far as I can see, Any, ordered one and will be interested to how it "rolls ".

The 7" 2023 version arrived and anticipated a tedious setting up. Blimey, couldn't have been easier despite the rather pony , lost in translation, handbook. Er indoors will be pleased, eventually....

Blimey, that was quick!

Mine took about 4 weeks from China

Firstly - come on Ian is it not bad enough that you copy my bike but now you have an MX-5 as well ?

Secondly, this........

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I admire the intention, but I suspect that I'd have been more likely to perform the Bosectomy and fit a double-DIN unit rather than have an extra screen stuck on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Firstly - come on Ian is it not bad enough that you copy my bike but now you have an MX-5 as well ?
    I've had the Street Scrambler over 4 years and the MX-5 nearly 7, so who is copying who?

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Secondly, this........
    Fully get that, but with the few other jobs I've got to do on the car I thought £150 was enough to spend for now.

£220 or so to get the uppydowny panel stripped and resprayed in a few weeks, the aircon needs regassing and it's due its annual service.

Oh, and the Carpuride can be easily removed and swapped from vehicle to vehicle - I could pop it on my old Boxer RT and pretend I have a 2023 model ;-)

OK, this might seem like sacrilege for some, but has anyone got budget tyre recommendations for a 2.0 NC?

Mrs Gyp's car is in for MOT in a couple of weeks and could do with new tyres; not because they are worn, but because they are perished. There's Avon ZV7s on there that went on 3 years ago and they've not done many miles (7mm tread remaining on the front and 6.3 on the rear) but they've already perished.

My go-to tyre these days is the Michelin Cross Climate, but that seems a little excessive for a car that typically does 2-3,000 miles a year, mostly in town or pottering along country lanes comfortably below the speed limit.

Best deal I can find on the Michelins is about £620 all in, whereas budget brands like Autogreens can be had for as little as £190.

If the performance is similar (in our use scenario) and the biggest issue for the cheaper tyres is wear rate, I think I'd rather replace a set of budget tyres that are worn out than throw away a half-worn set of premiums because they are perished.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

OK, this might seem like sacrilege for some, but has anyone got budget tyre recommendations for a 2.0 NC?

Mrs Gyp's car is in for MOT in a couple of weeks and could do with new tyres; not because they are worn, but because they are perished. There's Avon ZV7s on there that went on 3 years ago and they've not done many miles (7mm tread remaining on the front and 6.3 on the rear) but they've already perished.

My go-to tyre these days is the Michelin Cross Climate, but that seems a little excessive for a car that typically does 2-3,000 miles a year, mostly in town or pottering along country lanes comfortably below the speed limit.

Best deal I can find on the Michelins is about £620 all in, whereas budget brands like Autogreens can be had for as little as £190.

If the performance is similar (in our use scenario) and the biggest issue for the cheaper tyres is wear rate, I think I'd rather replace a set of budget tyres that are worn out than throw away a half-worn set of premiums because they are perished.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
    Kumho PS71's all round Gyp. You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Look like a viable mid-prices option

Master
    My missus MX5 ND had a advisory at about 18k miles due to cracking between the tread on the Yokahamas fitted . Again hers still had lots of tread left. From memory our local indy tyre dealers fitted Falcons. About £100 per tyre fitted balanced etc. we did about another 5k before we swapped it and I never noticed any difference eg worse or better handling.

Ps Im a big X Climate fan having had them on three cars , I didnt feel the MX5 would benefit as we never take it out in snow or really bad weather which is wher the X’s shine
    Last edited by higham5; 30th December 2023 at 16:32.

Look like a viable mid-prices option
    I run them as a road tyre or a track wet tyre and they're good value and kept me on the tarmac in both situations.

After all that I've found myself looking at Bridgestone Turanzas as they worked nicely on a BX GTi about 25 years ago...

I put Vredestein Sportrac 5 summer tyres on when I got my Mk2 1.6 a few years ago after the old tyres were cracking up between the treads.
    They have been fine and were cheap. Some smoke if you lock up the front (non ABS ). Not sure about rear grip as the 1.6 likes to hop about when pushed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Kumho's fitted this morning

Master
    Blog Entries
    I definitely wouldn't "over tyre" an mx5 it'll make the thing too grippy for the limited power.

I used to run my vx220 track car on r888r semi slicks and the grip was incredible but the break away speeds were massive.

I tried another owners spare wheels with ad08r sports tyres and it was epic fun, and cheap. Haven't looked back.

When I drove the Rocketeer NB it wasn't on fancy rubber and you could steer on the throttle nicely.

Master
    I definitely wouldn't "over tyre" an mx5 it'll make the thing too grippy for the limited power.

I used to run my vx220 track car on r888r semi slicks and the grip was incredible but the break away speeds were massive.

I tried another owners spare wheels with ad08r sports tyres and it was epic fun, and cheap. Haven't looked back.

When I drove the Rocketeer NB it wasn't on fancy rubber and you could steer on the throttle nicely.
    My last Mk1 had around 230hp and needed wider tyres alright!

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    My last Mk1 had around 230hp and needed wider tyres alright!
    Wider tyres aid better braking particularly in a 230hp NA.
    Bet that could waft along bit

- - - Updated - - -

Kumho's fitted this morning
    Good stuff, the price is usually right too.