closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help! Mounting a TV to insulated plasterboard

Master

Help! Mounting a TV to insulated plasterboard

Someone (me) is in a bit of a pickle with a new TV. Got the SDS drill out to mount a new TV bracket in a new house. No big deal, simple task.

But I’d forgotten we have (I think) 60mm insulated plasterboard on said wall. No battens or studwork in the wall. So I’m drilling into a fair bit of foam before hitting blockwork.

Anyone know of suitable fixings?

These….https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-pl...-25-pack/630hp
    I had the same problem and im sure i could hang off these

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Don't look like 205mm, what dimension is that?

Master
    Funny I saw those and had them in my cart…

Any issues with the rear wings opening out into the foam board behind the plasterboard?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Any issues with the rear wings opening out into the foam board behind the plasterboard?
    I used them with insulated plaster board with no problems.

Not for me no, it was the last room i had to do after using others and by far these were the best.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 17th June 2023 at 20:49.

You could remove a section of the plaster board just slightly smaller than the bracket. Then screw some appropriate thickness noggins (less the thickness of the PB) to the blockwork. Reattach PB to noggins and screw bracket into the noggins. Just be mindful where you put the screws in the noggins as you don’t want the bracket screws to hit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks all, ordered for collection tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't look like 205mm, what dimension is that?
    Yeh, i literally have no idea what the 205mm thing is about.

Yeh, i literally have no idea what the 205mm thing is about.
    It's a typo, they'r 205 mm long.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I used these with dot & DAB to hang a (plastic) cupboard on plasterboard. 9 months later (with not much weight in the cupboard) it fell off the wall. The little wings are plastic not metal. You also have to make a huge hole in the wall so moving the cupboard to drill new holes wasn't easy either.

Have a look at these - much better choice in my experience (with dot & DAB walls) but I am not a fan of the gripits - I suspect they have cut costs by making the wings out of silver plastic.

Corefix 100mm Heavy Duty Dot & Dab Wall Fixings - Plasterboard Over Blockwork Wall Plugs & Screws - For TVs, Radiators, Shelving & more - Holds 100kg on 4 fixtures - Reinforced Steel Core – Box of 24 https://amzn.eu/d/hcaerE6

Best bet is too either go all the way into the brick work with anchor bolts or using a multi tool cut out a bigger area than you need for the bracket and mount some battens or solid piece of 2x3 or 4x3 which ever is appropriate to the block work
    Then screw your bracket into that

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

For the wood to concrete block work and then self tapper into the wood for the brackets. Will not move for mor piece of mind you can use a glue on the wood as well as bolts to block work.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Corefix 100mm Heavy Duty Dot & Dab Wall Fixings - Plasterboard Over Blockwork Wall Plugs & Screws - For TVs, Radiators, Shelving & more - Holds 100kg on 4 fixtures - Reinforced Steel Core – Box of 24 https://amzn.eu/d/hcaerE6

However, for ultimate strength fixing I've used this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...in-300ml/32863 Combined with threaded studs it'll give you complete peace of mind!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Reminds me of the time I used these with a similar set up (by far the best Plasterboard Fixings)

Destroyed my hands digging out insulation to make space after already drilling the 25mm hole

https://youtu.be/aeFyQS2NGVM

Master
    Blog Entries
    Flatscreens are heavy,I would get fixings long enough to reach solid wall.

Master
    Think I’d cut a bracket sized hole in the plasterboard/ insulation and screw a piece of 25mm MDF in that void - mount the bracket to the block work through the MDF - TV should sit nicely snug with the wall

Craftsman
    Multi tool out the plasterboard (Saving the pieces) where your fixings are going then completely fill the cutouts with DryWall adhesive & bond the plasterboard pieces back in flush directly on the adhesive. Fill the cut edges (Easy Fill 20 is great for this & sands back easily) when set & lightly sand back. Once its all set you will have a flat flush wall again but with a good solid fixing point behind it that won't crush when you do up your fixings. Make the cutouts at least 100mm square or round to make things less fiddly & more secure. If you can get someone to hold a hoover nozzle next to the multi tool when cutting it will greatly reduce the amount of dust going around the room. Hope that helps/makes sense but feel free to PM me if you require anymore info.

Master
    Geefix or CoreFix are the only correct answers to the OP's question.

Master
    Turns out the plasterboard was too thick for the wingnut jobs from Screwfix to work, they double layered it, so it was a case of cutting two sections out to get to the blockwork and fix two wooden batons. Recessed thunderbolts into those, then 65mm woodscrews into that to hold the bracket

I'd say you could comfortably hang half a dozen TVs off it now

The wingnut jobs from Screwfix do look the business though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Geefix or CoreFix are the only correct answers to the OP's question.
    i referenced geefix above, but where you have solid insulation behind they are not the easiest solution

great fittings tho.

not when you use the corresponding tool to enlarge the hole in the foam, have 60mm of kingspan K118 plasterboard and have used gripit blue fixings with the undercutting tool.

Anyone messing with battens on the wall or removing sections of the insulation must ensure a tight seal on any modification if the boards are dot/dabbed or fixed with expanding foam adhesive to avoid any issues with interstitial condensation.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 20th June 2023 at 23:35.

I am still very much put off the grip it fixings by my experience of the silver plastic wings snapping after a few months of a steady but not large load.

As they have gone to the trouble of making the wings silver I suspect they used to be metal and someone at grip it decided metal wasn't necessary / too expensive.