closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: High street watch shopping today

High street watch shopping today

A couple of weeks ago I ventured into Newcastle for a spot of watch shopping. Mostly window browsing but might have been tempted. It was a total waste of time as the selection across the retailers was awful.

Today I’m in the Metro Centre for probably only the second time since the start of COVID and to my surprise the breadth of variety here absolutely blows Newcastle out the water.

I’ve spent a couple of pleasant hours chatting to staff and trying on watches. I noticed a couple of watches at insane prices that I thought I’d share with you.

Rolex
    Yes you aren’t seeing things, that says £14000!!

Omega v Swatch
    Rather offensive profiteering IMO.

I tried on a lovely Alpina that I almost bought having negotiated a decent discount but whilst at the till I noticed it wasn’t running so that deal didn’t happen.

I was tempted by a particular Certina that almost happened had it not been trumped by a Seiko that I never expected to like but loved in the metal.

I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 17th June 2023 at 16:37.

£14000! Shameful. But (mad) people must be buying them.

The Seiko is *chef’s kiss*. One I’ve had my eye on for a while.

Sold the same happy meal for here for £230 or so. Didn’t have it in me to ask for more for such a POS. Felt bad getting my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I ventured into Newcastle for a spot of watch shopping. Mostly window browsing but might have been tempted. It was a total waste of time as the selection across the retailers was awful.

Today I’m in the Metro Centre for probably only the second time since the start of COVID and to my surprise the breadth of variety here absolutely blows Newcastle out the water.

I’ve spent a couple of pleasant hours chatting to staff and trying on watches. I noticed a couple of watches at insane prices that I thought I’d share with you.

Rolex
    Yes you aren’t seeing things, that says £14000!!

Omega v Swatch
    Rather offensive profiteering IMO.

I tried on a lovely Alpina that I almost bought having negotiated a decent discount but whilst at the till I noticed it wasn’t running so that deal didn’t happen.

I was tempted by a particular Certina that almost happened had it not been trumped by a Seiko that I never expected to like but loved in the metal.

I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.

Soon to be on sales corner

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Soon to be on sales corner
    And? That's the great thing about SC (ignoring the other guff that floods the place - and the non-donations), a variety of interesting (and affordable) watches that members can then pick it up (virtually brand new) at a slight discount.

The Moonswatch being resold like that is in pretty poor taste from a luxury watch dealer

Craftsman
    Reasonable price on the Speedmaster Racing next to the Rolex though? Even second hand £6k feels good from a dealer

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    The Moonswatch being resold like that is in pretty poor taste from a luxury watch dealer
    If they are who I think they are then they're more jeweller than luxury watch dealer. I don't really see a problem with them selling a product of any kind at above rrp if someone Is likely to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm intrigued by that comment. As someone who knows both fairly well I wouldn't put much between them although I think that Newcastle is far better for luxury watches that aren't 'on trend'. The Metro Centre is improving but the biggest problem is four jewellers selling much the same brands within a stones throw of each other. Beaverbrooks has a slight advantage with one make boutiques for Tag, Breitling and Omega (and a large Tudor display) but Goldsmiths sells much the same products with Rolex and Cartier for good measure.