closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RAF Hercules flypast before retirement

RAF Hercules flypast before retirement

Only read about it by chance yesterday. Managed to see the trio as they were on finals into Brize. A real lump in the throat moment. Their engine drone is unmistakable. Going to miss them.

Anyone else manage to see them?

No, but living in Cambridge for many years I’m probably over it! Did enjoy my trip in the cockpit flying between Lyneham and Brize.” And back.

Yep, I live in what was the old RAF Lyneham and they skimmed the base yesterday.
    Also went over the local town Royal Wootton Bassett where they followed the high street.
    As a child I grew up just in front of the main runway and they were a common sight in the skies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I last saw one flying over just north of Market Bosworth, about two years ago while I was out on my bike. Came over very low, quite a sight. Not sure if I ever saw one another time.

Master
    I had assumed they had already retired. Sad to see them go.

Many years ago I was working as a courier in the West Country. One day I was driving somewhere up in the Quantocks and I popped out on the northside to see a Herc practicing evasive manoeuvres. It was at such a low altitude I was looking across at it rather than up. Incredible flying.

Master
    They flew past my home office window yesterday and I can only assume they were heading over to Credenhill.

As the letter in The Times from past senior officers stated, utter madness to lose that capability.

i saw these as i was sitting outside quatt cafe when out on the mbike , they were flying very low.

Caught a glimpse of them yesterday whilst driving North on the A1 yesterday, was pleased to see them.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    The C-130s will be part of the Trooping the Colour flypast this Saturday, so they haven’t quite gone yet.

Flew low over my house seconds before garrison fly pass. Awesome sight.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I wonder how many they had on the pan to get 3 in the air?

15 years I was never in one that departed first time and flew direct to it's destination.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is there a replacement have we got any military left?

It looks like we don’t have enough troops to defend mothercare let alone Britain.

I flew in Hercs to and from NI,most of my generation did at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Only read about it by chance yesterday. Managed to see the trio as they were on finals into Brize. A real lump in the throat moment. Their engine drone is unmistakable. Going to miss them.

Anyone else manage to see them?
    Sadly not being in London, know what you mean about the lump, my first flight was in a c130 was out of Lynehan as an Air Cadet, just a brilliant experience. Lovely looking plane to boot and a great sound.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I wonder how many they had on the pan to get 3 in the air?

15 years I was never in one that departed first time and flew direct to it's destination.
    Proof of that 15 year stat please?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

It looks like we don’t have enough troops to defend mothercare let alone Britain.

We have some A400M.

Master

We have 22 A400M. We had 66 C-130s delivered (not these, but their predecessors). No matter how capable, the new aircraft cannot be in 2 places at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    We have 22 A400M. We had 66 C-130s delivered (not these, but their predecessors). No matter how capable, the new aircraft cannot be in 2 places at once.

We also have the C-17, but regardless our role in the world is changing, our defence capability needs to change too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    We also have the C-17, but regardless our role in the world is changing, our defence capability needs to change too.
    Absolutely, however, neither the C-17 nor the A400M can (yet) carry out the more esoteric roles covered by the C-130. Further, larger platforms are often at greater risk (and with fewer assets, each is even more precious in terms of capability, let alone personnel).

Whilst I agree that there is no longer a need to sustain far-flung outposts by military air, I think you'll find that the assets (and particularly those attributed to Tactical Air Transport - only the A400M and C-130) are in very short supply. The NAO carried out a review 15 years ago - things have not improved, albeit Iraq and Afghan operations have ceased since then.

I am unconvinced that this measure had anything to do with Defence capability reassessment; it was a cost-saving initiative.
    Last edited by Pete D; 16th June 2023 at 16:02.

Absolutely, however, neither the C-17 nor the A400M can (yet) carry out the more esoteric roles covered by the C-130. Further, larger platforms are often at greater risk (and with fewer assets, each is even more precious in terms of capability, let alone personnel).

Whilst I agree that there is no longer a need to sustain far-flung outposts by military air, I think you'll find that the assets (and particularly those attributed to Tactical Air Transport - only the A400M and C-130) are in very short supply. The NAO carried out a review 15 years ago - things have not improved, albeit Iraq and Afghan operations have ceased since then.

I am unconvinced that this measure had anything to do with Defence capability reassessment; it was a cost-saving initiative.
    Was wondering when youd stick your foot in the door….weird seeing them go i expect Pete?

Master

RAF Hercules flypast before retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Was wondering when youd stick your foot in the door….weird seeing them go i expect Pete?
    Very sad end of an incredible era, and I was a latecomer to the Fat Albert party back in 1984….

Very sad end of an incredible era, and I was a latecomer to the Fat Albert party back in 1984….

So you were JR’s understudy?

Master
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    We have very little capability,fact.

Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Capability for what though?!

They flew right in front of me over the A14 between Bury and Newmarket. Great to see!

Less sad about this retirement as they’re being replaced A400s which are better in some ways.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/atlas-c1-a400m/
    Last edited by mr noble; 16th June 2023 at 21:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    So you were JR’s understudy?
    I didn’t fly with him, but knew him reasonably well.

Hopefully they will be represented over The Smoke tomorrow at about 13.00, making up for the slightly reduced formation on the Coronation Day. Cameras at the ready...

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by notnowkato; 16th June 2023 at 22:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    They flew right in front of me over the A14 between Bury and Newmarket. Great to see!

Less sad about this retirement as they’re being replaced A400s which are better in some ways.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/atlas-c1-a400m/
    Indeed. Nearly double the payload, increased range and faster. However, each cannot be in more than one piece of space at a time. Further, smaller loads will not utilise that capacity on every occasion, and priority stuff cannot wait until more kit is gathered for the destination every time.

On the down side, smaller capacity for fully-equipped troops, albeit they can travel in more comfortable seats.

When the Germans and French, the biggest cheerleaders of the A400, both with considerably larger fleets, form a joint squadron of C-130, albeit neither has the even bigger C-17, you have to ask why. The answer, of course, lies in a broader capability spread - different requirements require varied capacity and capability. To use a golf analogy, a driver and 3 wood can hit the furthest and close to the furthest, but they are not the only clubs you carry….

I stand by my 22 A400M is not enough call (with aircraft in depth maintenance, upgrade programmes, test/evaluation/tactics development and short-term unserviceable, the daily available number is far lower than 22). Still, we are where we are. Let’s hope nothing kicks off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Proof of that 15 year stat please?
    Really....I didn't keep a diary??

Royal Air Force 1984 to 1999
    Multiple trips to:-

Norway, Germany, Italy, France, Belgium, USA via Canada, Cyprus, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

Have won multiple bets from fellow travelers regarding departures, I was even a day late Desert Storm.

I guess these days the UK would only be providing part of any joint effort if things did kick off.

I can’t see a situation where we had to defend ourselves or attack another nation on our own.

Maybe that’s why the decision makers feel 22 is enough?

Master
    I stand by my 22 A400M is not enough call (with aircraft in depth maintenance, upgrade programmes, test/evaluation/tactics development and short-term unserviceable, the daily available number is far lower than 22). Still, we are where we are. Let’s hope nothing kicks off!!

That can be said about the whole of the UKs military aviation, when you consider the total count of Gazelles and Lynx the army had to what they have now, the bean counters never thought there would be a ground war where people fought back. Roll on Ukraine and lessons are being relearned but nothing will happen as it still doesn’t affect the average man in the street. I’m old enough to remember booking into the LFAs and having to have eyes everywhere because of the amount of aircraft, now there’s nothing about.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Military capability has moved on a bit Soapy, our power is more than just the number of Billies running around with an SLR.

Grand Master
    Flew straight over mine earlier. It was like they knew where I lives and came to say goodbye.

Many a happy exit from one.

RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Flew straight over mine earlier. It was like they knew where I lives and came to say goodbye.

Many a happy exit from one.

And picture of A400M dispatch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    That can be said about the whole of the UKs military aviation, when you consider the total count of Gazelles and Lynx the army had to what they have now, the bean counters never thought there would be a ground war where people fought back. Roll on Ukraine and lessons are being relearned but nothing will happen as it still doesn’t affect the average man in the street. I’m old enough to remember booking into the LFAs and having to have eyes everywhere because of the amount of aircraft, now there’s nothing about.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Bet Vale of York AIAA no longer exists too, or the I stands for a number greater than 2…

Grand Master
    And picture of A400M dispatch

The future

RIAC

CR flypast, c130 content

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I guess these days the UK would only be providing part of any joint effort if things did kick off.

I can’t see a situation where we had to defend ourselves or attack another nation on our own.

Maybe that’s why the decision makers feel 22 is enough?

No one expected the Falklands,Yugoslavia or Russia invading Ukraine etc.etc.

We could not do what Ukraine is doing for a start,you have to be ready for anything thats the point.

We couldn't go back to NI with the same numbers and intensity either.

Hi tech gadgets doesnt obviate the need for boots on the ground.

No one expected the Falklands,Yugoslavia or Russia invading Ukraine etc.etc.

We could not do what Ukraine is doing for a start,you have to be ready for anything thats the point.

We couldn't go back to NI with the same numbers and intensity either.

Hi tech gadgets doesnt obviate the need for boots on the ground.
    You can’t be ready for anything with a finite defence budget. But what we have done well is procure through UOR’s and we’ve learned a lot on that. We also make political choices…did we need to project power through two new aircraft carriers…probably not!